Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Statement from Mike Brown (Zac is back)
Great... now I have to look toward 2022 to have any hope..... I hate this idiot
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Brown sucks as an owner. I have criticized him heavily over the years. But all of you getting upset about the comment "The fans wanted it" are just being hyper sensitive snowflakes.

All he is doing is acknowledging that he listened to the fans. Isn't that what you all wanted?

My issue with it is accountability. Yes, we wanted change. That’s a fact. None of us actually had any say in the matter though. That fell on him. He could, as he has done in the past, ignored the fans and did what he wanted to do with his team. We would have had as much say in that as we did in Taylor’s hire.

If I’m going to be lumped in with the decision making and what we wanted, I’d like a say in what happens as a result.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:34 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: My issue with it is accountability. Yes, we wanted change. That’s a fact. None of us actually had any say in the matter though. That fell on him. He could, as he has done in the past, ignored the fans and did what he wanted to do with his team. We would have had as much say in that as we did in Taylor’s hire.

If I’m going to be lumped in with the decision making and what we wanted, I’d like a say in what happens as a result.

True, but if we all had a say in it, we'd turn into the Cleveland Browns.  New HC every year, maybe not new QB every year now that we have Burrow, but prior to that I'd bet on that too.  

Why can't we just be happy that it turns out MB does give a crap what the fans want.  He has not only proven it with making the change and spending in FA, he's now also come out and said it.  Oh right, it's popular and cool to hate on MB.  
Reply/Quote
So..now the question is, when are these other coaches being fired?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:37 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: So..now the question is, when are these other coaches being fired?

I'm anxiously awaiting Anarumo's fate.  And I'm personally split down the middle on what I want to happen.  

On one hand, obviously our defense has struggled.  We get no pressure, and our (backup) secondary pays for it.  If it were all about results with no context, Anarumo leaves immediately.  But on the other hand, he was given some nice tools last offseason that he didn't get to use.  He's been handcuffed seemingly all season for one reason or another.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:37 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: True, but if we all had a say in it, we'd turn into the Cleveland Browns.  New HC every year, maybe not new QB every year now that we have Burrow, but prior to that I'd bet on that too.  

Why can't we just be happy that it turns out MB does give a crap what the fans want.  He has not only proven it with making the change and spending in FA, he's now also come out and said it.  Oh right, it's popular and cool to hate on MB.  

We can probably stop bagging on the Browns now. They’re in the playoffs, and actually headed in the right direction, not just lip service and a bunch of hope.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "It is called "victim mentality".  It is all the rage these days.  Everyone has to be the victim of something even if they have to make it up in their head.

Call it what you want I guess Fred, but to me it’s an example of what has been wrong with this team for a long time. Very little actual accountability. There is always an excuse or reason things went completely wrong and it very rarely, if ever, points to poor decision making by leadership.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Brown sucks as an owner.  I have criticized him heavily over the years.  But all of you getting upset about the comment "The fans wanted it" are just being hyper sensitive snowflakes.

All he is doing is acknowledging that he listened to the fans.  Isn't that what you all wanted?

I don't think you understand how PR works.  This is a very important statement, after a disastrous year, made by an owner who only publicly speaks once or twice a year. 

This should always be, and most certainly is a well thought out response made in order to sell your billion dollar product to your fanbase.  This is not an off the cuff remark made in the moment.

If you don't believe that the wording was intentional and well crafted then you're fooling yourself.

If you want to dismiss the decent number of people on here, who immediately locked on to that sentence, as being nothing but snowflakes then what about someone like Mo Egger (700WLW/1530 host, UC producer, Athletic writer)

[url=https://t.co/VZw4xsQgpZ
— Mo Egger (@MoEgger1530) January 4, 2021 ">
Quote:Mike aiming this at fans is the story more than Mike bringing back a 6-25-1 head coach. https://t.co/VZw4xsQgpZ
— Mo Egger (@MoEgger1530) January 4, 2021

Are we to believe that everyone on here is just snowflakes, Mo Egger is a snowflake, all of the comments on his tweet are snowflakes, and everyone else who has picked up on this is snowflakes?  Or is there smoke where there is fire?  (People are correct in thinking this was a very strange way to start a statement)
Reply/Quote
[Image: kristin-car-1436968664.gif?quality=.8&he...&width=500]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Yeah, that bit about wanting change pisses me off more than staying status quo...and that's saying something.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Article about Zac keeping his job: https://www.nfl.com/news/cincinnati-bengals-to-retain-coach-zac-taylor-for-third-season

Selected quotes that reflect why it is dumb, dumb, and dumb to defend Zac keeping his job.

Quote:In two seasons at the helm, Taylor's squad has a 6-25-1 record, worst in franchise history. Taylor has a .203 win percentage. The next-worst by a Cincy coach is .267 by Dick LeBeau.

Quote:The 2020 campaign marked the first time since 1999-2000 that the Bengals went back-to-back seasons with four or fewer victories -- Bruce Coslet was fired during the 2000 season.

Quote:Since Taylor took over, the Bengals have ranked last in record, last in turnover differential, last in sack differential, 31st in points per game and 27th in points allowed.

Quote:Since 2019, the Bengals rank 26th in total yards per game, 25th in rushing yards per game, 27th in 3rd down percentage, 28th in passer rating and 32nd in red-zone TD percentage.
Reply/Quote
INteresting that Logan says he's happy Zac is returning yet is entirely indifferent when he comes to the assistant coaches. It was definitely not an endorsement about keeping them

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:40 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'm anxiously awaiting Anarumo's fate.  And I'm personally split down the middle on what I want to happen.  

On one hand, obviously our defense has struggled.  We get no pressure, and our (backup) secondary pays for it.  If it were all about results with no context, Anarumo leaves immediately.  But on the other hand, he was given some nice tools last offseason that he didn't get to use.  He's been handcuffed seemingly all season for one reason or another.  

The Bengals might give the injury excuse for Anarumo's defense, but I'm not sold on that.
Reader is not a pass rusher. He only had 12 total pressures all last year in HOU. 7 pressures the year before.
Atkins hasn't been the same under Anarumo either. If we basically consider this year as not playing since he was injured but still played very limited snaps, let's look at last year, in which he was mostly healthy. Only 20 total pressures, 4.5 sacks in 2019.
So I think the pass rush would have still been bad even with Reader and fully healthy Atkins.
The LBs were rather decent in pass coverage this year, but they were all terrible against the run.
DBs were about the only saving grace to the defense. But when WJ3 was out, it was noticeable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:37 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: True, but if we all had a say in it, we'd turn into the Cleveland Browns.  New HC every year, maybe not new QB every year now that we have Burrow, but prior to that I'd bet on that too.  

I’m not asking for everyone to have a say. I’m asking for the front office to show some accountability. I’m not asking for a new coach every year. I’m asking for a coach with one of the lower winning percentages through 2 years of a career to be replaced and not just letting them finish out year 3 of a contract for the heck of it. Could Zac Taylor turn this around and become the next great coach in the NFL? It’s possible. But at this point he will need to convince professional coaches to join his staff with a horrible record, disgruntled players, and only 1 guaranteed year. If the rumors are true and the Bengals are looking to give shorter contracts just in case they have to let these guys go next year, then what kind of coaches are going to fill this staff? We just handcuffed a coach who is already struggling. That does not bode well for next season in my opinion. I hope that’s not the case and we turn it around in year 3, but my hopes are not high right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are delusional.  No matter what Mike Brown does you turn it into something evil.

He does not listen to fans.....EVIL

He does listen to fans..........EVIL

You're something else.

No one is complaining that he listens to fans.  No would is disputing fans wanted change either.  No one is saying his statement is incorrect (I even said this exact thing in my post about this topic)

What is raising people's eyebrows is why he felt the need to brining up the fans wishes when trying to sell us on this coach for year 3.  What does the fans wanting change in 2019 have to do with whether a coach is fit to lead the team in 2021?  How are they related?

And just because the fans wanted change does not mean the fans wanted to lose.  It doesn't mean they specifically wanted Zac Taylor either.

I fail to see what the fans wanted then has to do with anything right now. It's an odd thing to reference. It's even odder to not represent the desire for change as "we wanted".

You're wrong on this.  Countless people have locked on to that statement.  It's either one of two things: 

1.) A subtle dig at the fans
2.) A terribly worded PR statement.

Take your pick.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:19 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Is the front office stupid, cheap, lazy or a combination of all 3??

Yes.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:40 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'm anxiously awaiting Anarumo's fate.  And I'm personally split down the middle on what I want to happen.  

It would have helped if he had not ran off one of the best players on our defense.

In just 8 games with Seattle Dunlap had more tackles for loss (6) than any Bengal player did for the entire season.  Dunlap also had 4.5 sacks in those 8 games while the Lawson led the Bengals in sacks with 5.5 in 16 games.  And Dunlaps 12 QB hits in 8 games were more than any Bengal except Lawson had in 16 games.

As for injuries, Lou had Reader and McKenzie healthy for the first three weeks of the season and we ranked 24th in yards allowed.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What is raising people's eyebrows is why he felt the need to brining up the fans wishes when trying to sell us on this coach for year 3.  What does the fans wanting change in 2019 have to do with whether a coach is fit to lead the team in 2021?  How are they related?

He was telling the fans that he listened to their concerns.

If he didn't you would be here bitching about how he never listens to the fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It would have helped if he had not ran off one of the best players on our defense.

In just 8 games with Seattle Dunlap had more tackles for loss (6) than any Bengal player did for the entire season.  Dunlap also had 4.5 sacks in those 8 games while the Lawson led the Bengals in sacks with 5.5 in 16 games.  And Dunlaps 12 QB hits in 8 games were more than any Bengal except Lawson had in 16 games.

As for injuries, Lou had Reader and McKenzie healthy for the first three weeks of the season and we ranked 24th in yards allowed.

Agreed.  Dunlap's departure definitely was a shame.  Now, I was and still am of the opinion that he should've gone since he was visibly giving up on plays.  I also wonder if his productivity is a result of a much better defense overall as well.  

Also, for injuries I think it'd be silly not to consider that Trae Waynes never even started.  He was a big FA addition that would've (hopefully) affected the yards allowed stat.  
Reply/Quote