Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers scared of retribution from their dirty hits.
Or something like that.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:07 AM)TRsome Wrote: Or something like that.

It'd be one thing if Wallace was a habitually dirty player, but he doesn't have that reputation.  

Here's the thing: the retribution mentality is getting out of control (and yes, I am including Vince Williams' 'painting' comments).  If players don't get it under control, every game is going to be like Saturday night.  And while some might find it entertaining, it would not be good for the game.  

Should Wallace have done what he did? No.  But the man was both penalized and fined.  This vigilante 'eye for an eye' mentality is on the same degenerate level as the original offense.  On top of that, when a guy's main offense is limited to one play, you cant even make the case that you're teaching a dirty player a lesson, because said player isn't still playing dirty.  

For the sake of the game this kind of stuff needs to be kept under control. And again, I include the Steelers among the guilty parties, so if anyone's planning on accusing me of being a homer, forget it.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah retribution for every perceived injustice is going to be a problem. The Bengals play the Steelers twice a year every year, and that can't be a motivating factor.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't ever remember Wallace getting the dirty tag applied to him.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't ever remember Wallace getting the dirty tag applied to him.

Just that one play.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 09:25 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: It'd be one thing if Wallace was a habitually dirty player, but he doesn't have that reputation.  

Here's the thing: the retribution mentality is getting out of control (and yes, I am including Vince Williams' 'painting' comments).  If players don't get it under control, every game is going to be like Saturday night.  And while some might find it entertaining, it would not be good for the game.  

Should Wallace have done what he did? No.  But the man was both penalized and fined.  This vigilante 'eye for an eye' mentality is on the same degenerate level as the original offense.  On top of that, when a guy's main offense is limited to one play, you cant even make the case that you're teaching a dirty player a lesson, because said player isn't still playing dirty.  

For the sake of the game this kind of stuff needs to be kept under control. And again, I include the Steelers among the guilty parties, so if anyone's planning on accusing me of being a homer, forget it.  

Pretty much this. There is a reason I don't deal much with NFL football anymore, and it's because this atmosphere has been continually growing while the league has made some (albeit superficial and sometimes meaningless) attempts to improve player safety.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pretty much this. There is a reason I don't deal much with NFL football anymore, and it's because this atmosphere has been continually growing while the league has made some (albeit superficial and sometimes meaningless) attempts to improve player safety.

Sometimes I wonder if this atmosphere isn't somehow related to the efforts to make the game safer.  By making certain plays illegal, a resentment against them is now there that didn't exist before.  And it is magnified when borderline calls are not made.  All of this negative energy is now created by plays that used to be viewed as just part of the game.  Don't get me wrong - I still think that they should try to protect the players, but this seems to be an unfortunate side effect. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:24 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if this atmosphere isn't somehow related to the efforts to make the game safer.  By making certain plays illegal, a resentment against them is now there that didn't exist before.  And it is magnified when borderline calls are not made.  All of this negative energy is now created by plays that used to be viewed as just part of the game.  Don't get me wrong - I still think that they should try to protect the players, but this seems to be an unfortunate side effect. 

I tend to agree with you. I also think the ability to go back and watch it over and over, from different angles, in slow motion, helps foster this atmosphere as well. I saw some brutal hits playing ball in high school, but it was quick, it was over, and we went on with the game. Now after a hit like that in the NFL, while the player is getting helped off the field you are seeing it a dozen more times on the big screen. Not just the fans, but the players as well.

Seeing it over and over like that, especially when they slow it down and from all those different angles, leads you to think you know what the player that made the hit saw and was thinking better than that player. The truth is the action of the game, the 17 minutes worth out of the 3 hours you watch, is very fast paced and oftentimes a player lines up for a hit and is unable to make an adjustment to correct. But because we see it in slow motion from angles the player can't see, people tend to think that he lined up that way on purpose.

I'm for increased player safety than what we had in the game 30, 20, even 10 years ago. But there is something to be said for not having those replays all over the place to give fans, staff, and players something to dwell on.
Reply/Quote
You wanna know what pisses off the players more than a no call on an illegal hit?

An entire team dancing like ***** idiots at the 50 yard line while the injured player is still motionless on the turf.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don't ever remember Wallace getting the dirty tag applied to him.

Because he's not a dirty player duh.

While Burthdefect resume includes...

● 2015, Week 17 -- Fined $50,000 for illegal hit on Ravens tight end Maxx Williams

● 2015, Week 14 -- Fined nearly $70,000 for three different infractions against the Steelers: roughing the passer, facemask and unnecessary roughness

● 2014, Week 16 -- Fined $25,000 for twisting the ankles of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and tight end Greg Olsen

● 2013 Week 8 -- Fined $21,000 for hitting Jets receiver Stephen Hill with the crown of his helmet

● 2013 Week 6 -- Fined nearly $8,000 for facemask against Bills running back Fred Jackson

● 2013 Week 3 -- Fined $31,000 for two incidents against the Green Bay Packers: hitting defenseless receiver James Jones and striking tight end Ryan Taylor in the groin
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:51 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You wanna know what pisses off the players more than a no call on an illegal hit?

An entire team dancing like ***** idiots at the 50 yard line while the injured player is still motionless on the turf.

I agree, dancing while a player is on the ground, even if you're celebrating a good play rather than the injury is classless.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 10:51 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You wanna know what pisses off the players more than a no call on an illegal hit?

Entire team, lol.  Death threats, lol.  Bengals fans and hyperbole are like macaroni and cheese, made for each other.

As for the inane OP, Wallace has owned his actions and only Foster has commented on this, per your link.  So WTF are we talking about?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 11:25 AM)Vlad Wrote: Because he's not a dirty player duh.

While Burthdefect resume includes...

● 2015, Week 17 -- Fined $50,000 for illegal hit on Ravens tight end Maxx Williams

● 2015, Week 14 -- Fined nearly $70,000 for three different infractions against the Steelers: roughing the passer, facemask and unnecessary roughness

● 2014, Week 16 -- Fined $25,000 for twisting the ankles of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and tight end Greg Olsen

● 2013 Week 8 -- Fined $21,000 for hitting Jets receiver Stephen Hill with the crown of his helmet

● 2013 Week 6 -- Fined nearly $8,000 for facemask against Bills running back Fred Jackson

● 2013 Week 3 -- Fined $31,000 for two incidents against the Green Bay Packers: hitting defenseless receiver James Jones and striking tight end Ryan Taylor in the groin

At this point if the suspension stands it amounts to a $500,000 fine to Burfict.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote

Paybacks are a ***** aren't they.

The only thing dirty about that play was the refs blowing the whistle too soon.
Shazier should of had a TD.
Reply/Quote

I wonder if you were here saying the same thing when Burfict celebrated tackling Bell after he gained 9 yard on first and ten, while he was on the ground hurt?  I'm wondering what he had to celebrate because tackling a running back after they gained 9 yards of first down doesn't seem like it's something most people celebrate, unless the great play being celebrated was the injury?

I ask because I can't remember you speaking out on that topic, but I admit my memory is bad and maybe you did. 

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 11:34 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I wonder if you were here saying the same thing when Burfict celebrated tackling Bell after he gained 9 yard on first and ten, while he was on the ground hurt?  I'm wondering what he had to celebrate because tackling a running back after they gained 9 yards of first down doesn't seem like it's something most people celebrate, unless the great play being celebrated was the injury?

I ask because I can't remember you speaking out on that topic, but I admit my memory is bad and maybe you did. 

..aaaand what you are responding to is the fan version of what I was talking about in my earlier post.  'We're always right, the other guy is always wrong, and a villain, and 'dirty', etc., etc.'  With a mentality like that, it's no wonder players (and fans) keep going at each other.  I don't care if we're talking about Shazier or Burfict celebrating, coaches being on the field, or Bengal players running into the tunnel way before the game is over.  The fact is that no teams' fans have the moral high ground here, or any reason to believe that our team showed more class than the other, yet we keep taking shots, as if our own teams were superior in some way.  

Edit: Yes, I understand that this is smack, and that there will always be some of that done simply for the sake of rankling the other teams' fans, but this mentality seems to be starting to weave itself into the fabric of the sport, and I believe that there are people on this board who buy into it and take this stuff personally.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 11:34 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I wonder if you were here saying the same thing when Burfict celebrated tackling Bell after he gained 9 yard on first and ten, while he was on the ground hurt?  I'm wondering what he had to celebrate because tackling a running back after they gained 9 yards of first down doesn't seem like it's something most people celebrate, unless the great play being celebrated was the injury?

You mean when he hopped up and tried getting the small crowd of visiting fans revved up and then immediately stopped when he realized there was something wrong? You'll notice he immediately went back to the defensive huddle and waited until the game started again. He didn't dance around like a jackass for a solid 3 minutes.

But he's a dirty player and the Steelers are all super classy. If you're a complete idiot.

You don't remember me posting on it because for the most part I avoided the message boards during the season and I didn't comment on it (and if I did I don't recall myself).

I don't condone Burfict's extracurriculars. But I'll at least acknowledge that he's an idiot and a scum bag. It's a damn shame you can't do the same for your own players. You (and most of your team's fan base) never have, and you never will.

Because class.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 11:57 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You mean when he hopped up and tried getting the small crowd of visiting fans revved up and then immediately stopped when he realized there was something wrong? You'll notice he immediately went back to the defensive huddle and waited until the game started again. He didn't dance around like a jackass for a solid 3 minutes.

But he's a dirty player and the Steelers are all super classy. If you're a complete idiot.

You don't remember me posting on it because for the most part I avoided the message boards during the season and I didn't comment on it (and if I did I don't recall myself).

I don't condone Burfict's extracurriculars. But I'll at least acknowledge that he's an idiot and a scum bag. It's a damn shame you can't do the same for your own players. You (and most of your team's fan base) never have, and you never will.

Because class.

This right here is why I am and always will be better than you.  It starts with the fact that I am a Steeler Fan  Tongue...But it continues because I provide you with the benefit of the doubt in my post while you simply point fingers and accuse.

This is me stating that I feel Shaziers hit was illegal.  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Good-luck-in-Denver?pid=157264#pid157264 

Your first paragraph is hilarious.  Someone must have told him to stop jumping around and acting a fool like he was as there wan't anything to celebrate on that hit.  Cause he certainly was.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 11:31 AM)Vlad Wrote: Paybacks are a ***** aren't they.

The only thing dirty about that play was the refs blowing the whistle too soon.
Shazier should of had a TD.

Should have been a penalty and Bengal's ball.  The rule is clear as day. 

Quote:Article 8. Initiating Contact with the Crown of the Helmet

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.
Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.
Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

What part didn't happen?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:06 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This right here is why I am and always will be better than you.  It starts with the fact that I am a Steeler Fan  Tongue...But it continues because I provide you with the benefit of the doubt in my post while you simply point fingers and accuse.

This is me stating that I feel Shaziers hit was illegal.  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Good-luck-in-Denver?pid=157264#pid157264 

Your first paragraph is hilarious.  Someone must have told him to stop jumping around and acting a fool like he was as there wan't anything to celebrate on that hit.  Cause her certainly was.

Oh so you admitted it once in another topic. Excuse the **** out of me for not having an encyclopedic knowledge of your posts.

Good for you.

It doesn't change the fact that Burfict - a dirty player - stopped when he realized something was wrong and Shazier - a classy player - danced like a buffoon for 3 minutes with his equally classy team mates.

Stay classy.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote