Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stephon Gilmore
(03-21-2022, 11:04 PM)Squintz Wrote: Exactly.

Honestly, it’s as if some people learned nothing after drafting Chase. Offensive line was unquestionably the greater need, but drafting BPA paid dividends immediately.

Higgins and Boyd are still valuable with Chase on the team. Had we drafted a linemen instead, we’d be tempted to reach on a lesser WR this year.

If you can draft a good player, you draft a good player. There’s nothing to gain from relying on false dilemmas to guide your strategy.

Plus they are Draft picks. You go after the guy you think is special for your needs. As we have all seen just going after need
backfires in the crap shoot that the Draft is. When you hit on Free Agency like our FO has lately with everyone besides Waynes
the Draft becomes the cherry on top for the future. Why not use it as depth in the worst case scenario?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 07:59 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Not at all. I’m saying he is not sticking around to be a backup.

Seems like nobody is beating down his door to sign him as a starter. 

If he is healthy (which he may not be) then he could be great backup or even fill that LG spot if Carman does not seize it. 

Like him much better than Spain (once again if healthy)  and may be on the cheap since nobody seems to be entertaining him. 

Kicking the tires on him couldn't hurt
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus they are Draft picks. You go after the guy you think is special for your needs. As we have all seen just going after need
backfires in the crap shoot that the Draft is. When you hit on Free Agency like our FO has lately with everyone besides Waynes
the Draft becomes the cherry on top for the future. Why not use it as depth in the worst case scenario?

Yeah, the worst case scenario is you have a talented NFL player on your roster next year when you need a talented player.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:16 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Seems like nobody is beating down his door to sign him as a starter. 

If he is healthy (which he may not be) then he could be great backup or even fill that LG spot if Carman does not seize it. 

Like him much better than Spain (once again if healthy)  and may be on the cheap since nobody seems to be entertaining him. 

Kicking the tires on him couldn't hurt

Concerned with Reiff's ankle and age. These are the reasons I would prefer Spain as a depth piece.

But if Reiff's ankle is okay him being a depth piece or even an emergency starter shouldn't be off the table.

(03-21-2022, 11:21 PM)Squintz Wrote: Yeah, the worst case scenario is you have a talented NFL player on your roster next year when you need a talented player.

Truth lol

Well said Squintz. I can understand if Linderbaum doesn't fit Pollack's glass eater type but that is another matter entirely.

He still was the best Center in the country the last few years regardless of his arm length. He could be great depth.

But for all we know Pollack likes Trey Hill a lot as I do myself.

I think we go Defense early in this Draft myself. CB, DT or End.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Any updates on what's going on with him?

I have this wild feeling he's going to end up here. Nothing to base that on, just a feeling. I think the Bengals gave him a strong offer and he's trying to decide.

I think Gilmore's age, combined with his playing style (not good at zone defense) will prevent anything from happening here with him.  

My bet is the Bengals use their first pick on a CB, but I sure wish they could find a FA CB that is a bit younger and fits the scheme more so they can get a stud defensive tackle or end in rd 1 as there is bound to be some real talent there.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 07:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So you're down with Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince off the bench then?

I think they should focus on Smith and Adeniji as developmental OTs.  Neither of them is a guard.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Gilmore's age, combined with his playing style (not good at zone defense) will prevent anything from happening here with him.  

My bet is the Bengals use their first pick on a CB, but I sure wish they could find a FA CB that is a bit younger and fits the scheme more so they can get a stud defensive tackle or end in rd 1 as there is bound to be some real talent there.  

Are there any players left fitting this mold? It seems the CB FA market was limited this year. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think they should focus on Smith and Adeniji as developmental OTs.  Neither of them is a guard.  

Adeniji isn't even an O-lineman until he can anchor. He sure better be working on his lower body big time.

Doesn't matter what length you have or how quick your feet are if you cannot stay low and hold your ground at least some of the
time. I do really like D'Ante Smith and he shown he CAN play LG last preseason, he was pretty damn dominant at LG till he got injured.

So D'Ante CAN play both Guard and Tackle which makes him valuable. Same with Carman.
Reply/Quote
I'd rate the OL as follows:

1. Collins. RT starter who also played OG early on in Dallas.
2. Jonah. LT starter.
3. Cappa. RG starter. Pure guard.
4. Karras. Starting C who may be better at guard.
5. Carman. LG job to pose atm. Needs to be better. OT versatile.
---------------
6. Smith. OT/OG versatile. Injury set back development last year.
7. Prince. OT#3 atm.
8. Adeniji. OH/OT versatile. Has work to do on anchoring & stunts.
9. BJ Hill. C.
----------------
10. Gaillard. G/C. Practice squad.

We usually carry 10. A dependable, proven depth guy at OT, OG and C would be useful. I do not think anyone below Carman is a roster lock for next year. Though I'd be really surprised if we cut Smith.

We could draft OL in Rd 1 if a starter quality C/G is there. But for a reserve/depth role, I think we go vets route (Spain/Reiff). Maybe a mid/late round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I'd rate the OL as follows:

1. Collins. RT starter who also played OG early on in Dallas.
2. Jonah. LT starter.
3. Cappa. RG starter. Pure guard.
4. Karras. Starting C who may be better at guard.
5. Carman. LG job to pose atm. Needs to be better. OT versatile.
---------------
6. Smith. OT/OG versatile. Injury set back development last year.
7. Prince. OT#3 atm.
8. Adeniji. OH/OT versatile. Has work to do on anchoring & stunts.
9. BJ Hill. C.  
----------------
10. Gaillard. G/C. Practice squad.

We usually carry 10. A dependable, proven depth guy at OT, OG  and C would be useful. I do not think anyone below Carman is a roster lock for next year. Though I'd be really surprised if we cut Smith.

We could draft OL in Rd 1 if a starter quality C/G is there. But for a reserve/depth role, I think we go vets route (Spain/Reiff). Maybe a mid/late round pick.

Hey, I give BJ Hill credit for being a high end DT and offering to play back up center!

.....I think you mean Trey Hill though haha.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I wouldn't be all that excited about us signing him if we do. We just made a huge mistake in signing Waynes over lineman help--and it backfired. It sounds like this guy is injured. I don't want to see us throwing a lot of money at him. I'd rather sign a couple cheaper players with upside like we did with Awuzie and Hilton last year. Sign a CB in that cheaper mold with upside. Sign a DT. Sign someone like Spain. These are the types of signings I'd like to see the rest of the way to set us up for a BPA draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 09:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Are there any players left fitting this mold? It seems the CB FA market was limited this year. 

Yeah, Gilmore declining, the FA DB's are all leftovers.  I'd be good to sign Waynes back at 1 year 3.5 mil and draft a DB with pick #31.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:27 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Honestly I wouldn't be all that excited about us signing him if we do. We just made a huge mistake in signing Waynes over lineman help--and it backfired. It sounds like this guy is injured. I don't want to see us throwing a lot of money at him. I'd rather sign a couple cheaper players with upside like we did with Awuzie and Hilton last year. Sign a CB in that cheaper mold with upside. Sign a DT. Sign someone like Spain. These are the types of signings I'd like to see the rest of the way to set us up for a BPA draft.

I'd be a big fan of Spain coming back. He did play well last season. At minimum, let he and Carman/Smith compete for that LG spot. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'd be a big fan of Spain coming back. He did play well last season. At minimum, let he and Carman/Smith compete for that LG spot. 

While we upgraded the first Line of  Burrows Defensive Wall...  the depth is still a major issue.. id welcome spain back
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'd be a big fan of Spain coming back. He did play well last season. At minimum, let he and Carman/Smith compete for that LG spot. 

(03-22-2022, 04:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: While we upgraded the first Line of  Burrows Defensive Wall...  the depth is still a major issue.. id welcome spain back

Agree, the only time Spain really played poorly was when he was hurt or coming off injury.

Can't blame him much for his poor play, just his effort on the last play of the SB.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:44 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: If we don’t sign Gilmore this free agency period will be a let down. The sky is falling. Management doesn’t know what they are doing. So on and so forth.

If you look outside you'll notice the sky actually reaches down to touch the horizon in every direction which leads me to believe it's falling here in South Carolina at least..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Does it help to land Gimore?  I think we need some positive energy.  Maybe someone should start a 3rd Gilmore thread if that would help.   

This is true and that post mocking us was uninformed and nonsensical, as timing is everything when creating these threads.

We have so many experts on this board whose expert opinions fluctuate like the wind at any tad of info that floats across the twittersphere.

I love these takes - Collins isnt worth a late round draft pick.... > Collins is the best since Willie

Now Gilmore.. this MF'er was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year 2 seasons ago, teams would not target his guy this year yet his PFF was still 20 pts higher than Apple who is currently our starter.... and now he is too old and cant play zone...?  

The different takes are interesting to say the least.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we are bringing in a vet, in my opinion a solid guy to mentor Eli Apple and DB's is Joe Hayden. He is probably also a less expensive option. I am sure other options are available or will be as well. Gilmore was great, I am not sure he will ever be great again.

Gilmore is the better player at this point. He is not just going to be a mentor we need snaps out of the guy as well. We can keep the snap count down to help him make it deep into a playoff run for an older guy. Apple took big steps last year from when he signed with us if he gets reps this year, I expect him to improve even more as well as any young CB which most of us think is coming in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:46 PM)804 fan Wrote: I’m hoping for Elam as well but if not then Kyler Gordon if he runs faster at a pro day if he decides to have one to improve on his 40 time. It would be even better if Mcduffie or Stingley slide down to us? After that it could be receiver and tackle to groom for the future.

Tariq Woolen is not getting enough pub,he played at UTSA, so maybe you can knock the competition, but how often have you ever seen a 6'4" corner with 4.2 speed? Might be a bit of a reach in the first, but a monumental steal in the second.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 05:59 PM)thegimp Wrote: Tariq Woolen is not getting enough pub,he played at UTSA, so maybe you can knock the competition, but how often have you ever seen a 6'4" corner with 4.2 speed? Might be a bit of a reach in the first, but a monumental steal in the second.

Agree 100%.  

I like Woolen, McCreary, & Gordon assuming all the high end guys (Gardner, Stingley, Booth, Hill, McDuffie) arr gone. Not a big fan of Elam. Big risk to count on Woolen to be there in the 2nd. 

If there is not a no-brainer guy that falls to us for some reason (Linderbaum, Zion, Green, Hill, Wyatt, Dean, Lloyd, maybe Ojabo), then I am all for trading down. I'd like to try to get three picks on day 2 and an extra 4th. 
Reply/Quote