Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Young Thinks The Bengals Can Beat The Patriots
Actually, he said "take down" the Patriots, per CincyJungle, but it's still huge that even Steve Young is seeing how good this team is.

I didn't say that he's "seeing potential" in this team, because now it's beyond potential and even he knows that we just need to go out and do it. That's an awesome feeling to have to know that "experts" are picking us to do what we're built to do, which is win, so it's not like it's a surprise, but rather just expected.

I'm not saying that we're without a doubt winning it all, just rather that it won't be a Cinderella Story-type deal when we do.

Quote:Despite there being three undefeated teams (Bengals, Patriots and Panthers) in the NFL, there seems to be a general consensus from the national media (and by extension generic NFL fans) that the New England Patriots are the best of the best.

Maybe they are -- when you're knocking around borderline greatness like the Washington Redskins, the Miami Dolphins, the Indianapolis Colts or the superstar-deficient Dallas Cowboys, who has time to analyze such things? Then again, they are destroying teams they should destroy. New England sports the largest net point difference in the league with +133 (276 points scored minus 143 points allowed). Only one other team has a point differential over 100 (the Arizona Cardinals) and the Bengals are only at 87.

True, but you can only beat who you play, and the Pats always seem to rise to the occasion.

Steve wants to see what we can do:

Quote:Fine.

New England is good.

Yet, they're not infallible. They can be beaten.

At least former San Francisco 49ers quarterback and current ESPN expert Steve Young believes.

"There's only one thing in my mind to look forward to, that's the Cincinnati Bengals, can they take down the Patriots come the end of the season?" Young said during ESPN's postgame show following Chicago's 22-19 over the San Diego Chargers. "I want to see this football team. I want to see all aspects — live and in person — because to me, the Bengals are the ones that can take down the Patriots. Of anyone else in the league, the Bengals are the ones."

Does this dude not own a TV?

Still, it's nice to see that we have a complete team that even a guy like Steve Young is saying can play with the best and actually BE the best.

Quote:Young will have the opportunity this Monday night, as Cincinnati hosts the Houston Texans.

Time to announce to the world, for anyone that didn't already hear it or still doubts us, that the Bengals are going to be the team to beat in the NFL in the playoffs.

I'm PUMPED UP!

WHO-DEY!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I didn't see where he said we are going to be the team, only that we could be the team to beat the Patriots.

"New England is good.

Yet, they're not infallible. They can be beaten."

Then a little later, "There's only one thing in my mind to look forward to, that's the Cincinnati Bengals, can they take down the Patriots come the end of the season?"

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 12:23 AM)Baby Hawk Wrote: I didn't see where he said we are going to be the team, only that we could be the team to beat the Patriots.

"New England is good.

Yet, they're not infallible. They can be beaten."

Then a little later, "There's only one thing in my mind to look forward to, that's the Cincinnati Bengals, can they take down the Patriots come the end of the season?"

Who Dey

I thought that's what I posted, even in the title?
Reply/Quote
I should have read the title better.
Reply/Quote
Knew Steve Young was my favorite non Bengals QB ever for some reason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Patriots can very much be beaten, any team can. I think the Bengals are the most complete team in the NFL, even over the Patriots. Their secondary is vulnerable, I'm not sure their running game can recover from the lose of Lewis ?

If we can somehow make them come to Cincinnati, I like our chances.
Reply/Quote
The keys to the game vs. NE would be to take Edelman out and Bracket Gronk. Both will still get some catches because they are that good. Single coverage on Armendola and stopping the running game (would fall to two LBs and our D-line). Now that would just slow them down. We'd just have to outscore them to win and that is a tall order.

I think the Bengals matchup with NE and Dalton can play on the road. He's proven that. NE would still be favored, but with a break or two we could beat them.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Well I suppose we will see. I think the Pats are by far the best team in the NFL right now; mainly because of Tom Brady. We have a very balanced team that can beat u on both sides of the ball but Tom Brady is something else.
Reply/Quote
Patriots are playing the best in the NFL. But once you look at rosters, the Bengals is much deeper and has more overall talent across the board.

Honestly, it should be the Patriots-Bengals in the AFC Championship game. And if it is, I honestly have very little doubt that whoever wins that game goes on to win the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
Sure, the Bengals *can* beat the Patriots. A lot of teams *can* beat the Patriots. New England has played some mediocre defense at times and is dealing with a ton of significant injuries. The Bengals are still struggling to stop the run consistently. Every team is beatable.
Reply/Quote
If we can win enough games to get to New England in the playoffs the media will have Brady all worked up by saying the Bengals are the team that is going to beat them. So to win the SB your going to have to beat them when they are at their best and Brady is at his best. Thats what its going to take to win it all which is a really high level.When he is fired up and rolling he is unbelievable. I just hope the Bengals collectively can achieve that level of play.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:02 AM)EatonFan Wrote: The keys to the game vs. NE would be to take Edelman out and Bracket Gronk.  Both will still get some catches because they are that good.  Single coverage on Armendola and stopping the running game (would fall to two LBs and our D-line).  Now that would just slow them down.  We'd just have to outscore them to win and that is a tall order.

I think the Bengals matchup with NE and Dalton can play on the road.  He's proven that.  NE would still be favored, but with a break or two we could beat them.

Yes, taking away those 2 would be huge.  Easier said than done because they do all that motion with Edelman and run pick plays galore to get him open.  And those are such short pass plays and why Brady is able to get rid of the ball so quickly.  

They can be beaten but we can't get the cart before the horse.  8 more games to play and we'll have to win a bunch of them to get a 1 or 2 seed where we only need to win one home playoff game to get our chance.

Who Dey all the way!
Reply/Quote
The great thing about a Bengals / NE match up is just about everyone outside of the Boston area would pull for the Bengals. Including most of the media because everybody is tired of the Patriots and all their shady crap.
Reply/Quote
We'd lose. Bill Belichick is already studying us.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:02 AM)EatonFan Wrote: The keys to the game vs. NE would be to take Edelman out and Bracket Gronk.  Both will still get some catches because they are that good.  Single coverage on Armendola and stopping the running game (would fall to two LBs and our D-line).  Now that would just slow them down.  We'd just have to outscore them to win and that is a tall order.

I think the Bengals matchup with NE and Dalton can play on the road.  He's proven that.  NE would still be favored, but with a break or two we could beat them.

(11-12-2015, 10:18 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Yes, taking away those 2 would be huge.  Easier said than done because they do all that motion with Edelman and run pick plays galore to get him open.  And those are such short pass plays and why Brady is able to get rid of the ball so quickly.  

They can be beaten but we can't get the cart before the horse.  8 more games to play and we'll have to win a bunch of them to get a 1 or 2 seed where we only need to win one home playoff game to get our chance.

Who Dey all the way!

I agree with you guys.  I think we can beat the Patriots, but we will have to stop Gronk and Edelman, which will be hard to do.  The d-line is going to have to get a lot of pressure, and fast. Hopefully Guenther comes up with something.

As much as I could see a high scoring game, I think we would need to run Gio and Hill as much as possible to keep the Patriots offense off the field.  We would just have to make sure we finish drives with touchdowns and not field goals. 

Let's just hope we keep playing the way we have been and get the chance to see what we can do against them.  But until then, let's take it one game at a time until we get to them!

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Our only hope is a shootout. Brady and Dalton trading blows. That said, I'd love to see a Bengals vs Patriots AFC championship game. To be the best you have to beat the best.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:32 AM)PApinhead Wrote: I agree with you guys.  I think we can beat the Patriots, but we will have to stop Gronk and Edelman, which will be hard to do.  The d-line is going to have to get a lot of pressure, and fast.  Hopefully Guenther comes up with something.

As much as I could see a high scoring game, I think we would need to run Gio and Hill as much as possible to keep the Patriots offense off the field.  We would just have to make sure we finish drives with touchdowns and not field goals. 

Let's just hope we keep playing the way we have been and get the chance to see what we can do against them.  But until then, let's take it one game at a time until we get to them!

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to stop Gronk and Edelman, but they will have to stop Eifert, Green, Gio, Hill, Jones, Sanu...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:45 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: We have to stop Gronk and Edelman, but they will have to stop Eifert, Green, Gio, Hill, Jones, Sanu...

True!!!  But can our defense step up and do that?  Can our coaches come up with the game plan to get the job done?  I'm pretty sure Bellicheat and the Patriot coaches can do it.  I really hope we get the chance to see.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:43 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Our only hope is a shootout. Brady and Dalton trading blows. That said, I'd love to see a Bengals vs Patriots AFC championship game. To be the best you have to beat the best.

I disagree.  What is the best defense the Pats have seen this year?  The Jets?  The same Jets that got handed their butts by the Raiders offense.  I don't mean to sound like the Pats offense isn't high-powered, but they haven't faced a front seven like the Bengals, either.  

Geno will not be playing in the Denver game, which gives him another bye week.  If the rest of the defense stays healthy, I like our chances.  I just hope Paulie G doesn't play it conservative and be afraid to get beat deep.  I want those tiny WRs blanketed with no easy checkdowns.  
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree.  What is the best defense the Pats have seen this year?  The Jets?  The same Jets that got handed their butts by the Raiders offense.  I don't mean to sound like the Pats offense isn't high-powered, but they haven't faced a front seven like the Bengals, either.  

Geno will not be playing in the Denver game, which gives him another bye week.  If the rest of the defense stays healthy, I like our chances.  I just hope Paulie G doesn't play it conservative and be afraid to get beat deep.  I want those tiny WRs blanketed with no easy checkdowns.  

The Raiders offense is no joke right now, look what they did to the Steelers last week (something our Bengals couldn't do).

I'll give you our front 4 but not front 7 yet.  The LB's have to tackle much better than they have the first 8 games, especially if we were to play NE.  And they will if Burfict can stay on the field and continue to get his legs under him.
Reply/Quote