Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
(01-07-2020, 01:12 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: So your arguement is that Tua is more likely to get injured? and thats why Burrow is better?  Ive done heard it all now.  I dont care if people listen to me at all.  We can look back at these posts in a few years and im not the one who is gonna be eating large piles of crow.  I just find it funny that all Burrow lovers like yourself comepletely dismiss Burrows 2018 season like it never happened, and he is now magically worlds better.  Ignoring and dismissing all the warts as if he is the perfect prospect.

Who's better has nothing to do with injuries, but its a factor in determining draft value.  Never once have I said Joe Burrow is better than Tua or compared them as players on these forums.  You obviously either don't read what's said to you or you're so blinded with anger that others have questioned your opinion that you don't even bother to read replies.  Look you're not going to win anything in these discussions and you will never receive a cookie.  

Since all you want to do is talk about the comparison between the two and why Burrow is considered the #1 pick let's break it down for you.  

1.  Coming out of highschool Burrow was highly recruited but lacked the arm strength to be considered a starter at OSU.  He has said in many articles Urban Meyers called him girly arms.  He has consistently worked on this and started growing into his frame.

2.  When he came up for the starting job at OSU in 2016 he was passed over because he broke his hand and had surgery so Dwayne Haskin was given the starting job.

3.  He transferred to LSU the next year and started his first full year as a starter in a system that was designed around the run game.  He also had to have a full year of play to get accustomed to the speed of the game as a starter and because of that, he took a lot of sacks.  He again improved and learned from the situation never pointing blame at anyone else.

4.  We all know that this year he has put up the best passing record in college football history

The one consistent thing about the guy that makes me disregard the one-year wonder monicker is that he has an insane work ethic and never places blame on others.  He evaluates his flaws and improves on them which is something most young men do not do *cough*

The guy has zero off the field issues, history with drugs, problems with staff, no serious injury concerns, and is absolutely clutch in big moments.  There is nothing that I see on tape or personality-wise that throws up a red flag that this guy is a one year wonder and there have been plenty of successful NFL quarterbacks who only played a single season in college.  Accuracy doesn't lie and his ball placement is amazing not to mention he is statistically the most accurate QB in college football history and that's not even debatable. The next highest being Colt Mccoy and those two aren't even comparable.  Colt threw for 1400 yards less up till this point and his int to td was much higher.

Lastly, when it comes to comparing the two guys at the level their playing now I find them to be near equals when it comes to their potential.  They should be 1-2 in the draft IMO, but unfortunately, Tua did get hurt and it does matter when it comes to predicting longevity in the NFL. Everything else is just noise and preference. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 01:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

My apologies, I missed the years on WVU and TCU.

Point still stands. Bradford was middling like Tannehill, but Tannehill has had more recent success, hence why I put him.

And I know about Aikman; point is, he went to Oklahoma; people are forgetting that Burrow also went to OSU.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2016.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2019.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2019.htm

I can go on.

I don't wish to discuss this any further, as you clearly are biased and can't accept the fact that other people's opinions MAY be more accurate than yours.

you just posted stats that prove my point.  You cant be serious.  Which one of those teams won the super bowl?  I didnt see anything showing a qb with 0 TD's and 16 picks winning the super bowl.  If you actually read my post I stated with those stats we MIGHT not even make playoffs and that its more LIKELY we would end up with around 6 wins.  I didnt say it would be impossible to get to playoffs.  You prove my point and then say that you are more accurate.  This has got to be trolling.

You have been proven wrong on the Big 12 qb that much is clear.  You didnt even list big 12 qbs for gods sakes.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: Who's better has nothing to do with injuries, but its a factor in determining draft value.  Never once have I said Joe Burrow is better than Tua or compared them as players on these forums.  You obviously either don't read what's said to you or you're so blinded with anger that others have questioned your opinion that you don't even bother to read replies.  Look you're not going to win anything in these discussions and you will never receive a cookie.  

Since all you want to do is talk about the comparison between the two and why Burrow is considered the #1 pick let's break it down for you.  

1.  Coming out of highschool Burrow was highly recruited but lacked the arm strength to be considered a starter at OSU.  He has said in many articles Urban Meyers called him girly arms.  He has consistently worked on this and started growing into his frame.

2.  When he came up for the starting job at OSU in 2016 he was passed over because he broke his hand and had surgery so Dwayne Haskin was given the starting job.

3.  He transferred to LSU the next year and started his first full year as a starter in a system that was designed around the run game.  He also had to have a full year of play to get accustomed to the speed of the game as a starter and because of that, he took a lot of sacks.  He again improved and learned from the situation never pointing blame at anyone else.

4.  We all know that this year he has put up the best passing record in college football history

The one consistent thing about the guy that makes me disregard the one-year wonder monicker is that he has an insane work ethic and never places blame on others.  He evaluates his flaws and improves on them which is something most young men do not do *cough*

The guy has zero off the field issues, history with drugs, problems with staff, no serious injury concerns, and is absolutely clutch in big moments.  There is nothing that I see on tape or personality-wise that throws up a red flag that this guy is a one year wonder and there have been plenty of successful NFL quarterbacks who only played a single season in college.  Accuracy doesn't lie and his ball placement is amazing not to mention he is statistically the most accurate QB in college football history and that's not even debatable. The next highest being Colt Mccoy and those two aren't even comparable.  Colt threw for 1400 yards less up till this point and his int to td was much higher.

Lastly, when it comes to comparing the two guys at the level their playing now I find them to be near equals when it comes to their potential.  They should be 1-2 in the draft IMO, but unfortunately, Tua did get hurt and it does matter when it comes to predicting longevity in the NFL. Everything else is just noise and preference.
I get what your saying.  He has been great this year.  I dont think anybody is arguing against that.  You choose to ignore his 2018 tape.  I choose to believe his real ability is in between 2018 and 2019 (closer to 2018).  You believe Tua is a bigger risk due to injuries.  I bellieve that Tua's upside outweighs his injuries and he will be an elite player.  The argument is not winninable by posting stats by either one of us.  Only time will tell which one of us got these guys right.  I just am trying to illustrate Joe Burrow has sooo many more warts than you guys want to admit.  I do not believe he will be a franchise type QB.  I see him as having a decent career but not of the level that would be expected of a #1 overall pick.  Were going to take Burrow and believe me I WILL be a Burrow fan because I am a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals.  Thats not to say I wont be massivly disappointed that we didnt take Tua.  Im not going to be posting I told you so's if Burrow sucks.  I will be just as miserable as everybody else.   I would love to come back on here in 3 - 5 years and everybody tell me how stupid I am.  Thats just not the way I see it going.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 12:48 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: my opinion is Tua is better than Burrow. I didnt say anything about him not being injured.  We all know Tua is currently rehabbing.  I am of the opinion that by the time the draft rolls around we will have a pretty good idea if he can make a full recovery.  If he passes medicals with flying colors I take him #1 and dont think twice about it.  Id rather draft for talent than health every day of the week and twice on sundays.  Nobody talks about Burrow and the fact that right now when he runs he looks for contact and trys to run at LB's right now.  He does that in NFL and hes gonna get hurt alot.  Just because hes heathy now doesnt mean he cant get hurt in the NFL.  Every pick has some sort of risk.

Chris Perry wasnt hurt a day in his life till we drafted him and then he turned into glass.  You never know.

Even if healthy I would take Burrow over Tua. They are very similar in terms of arm strength, accuracy, ball placement, reading progressions etc..What sets Burrow apart is his ability to make plays off schedule and he is more aggressive downfield. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 01:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: Who's better has nothing to do with injuries, but its a factor in determining draft value.  Never once have I said Joe Burrow is better than Tua or compared them as players on these forums.  You obviously either don't read what's said to you or you're so blinded with anger that others have questioned your opinion that you don't even bother to read replies.  Look you're not going to win anything in these discussions and you will never receive a cookie.  

Great post Okeana, didn't know a lot of that. Thanks. Wink 

(01-07-2020, 02:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Even if healthy I would take Burrow over Tua. They are very similar in terms of arm strength, accuracy, ball placement, reading progressions etc..What sets Burrow apart is his ability to make plays off schedule and he is more aggressive downfield. 

Same and I really like Tua too but even when healthy I would take Burrow over Tua myself. Close, but I would.

When plays break down Burrow never panics and like you said is more aggressive downfield than Tua.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Okeana, didn't know a lot of that. Thanks. Wink 

Same and I really like Tua too but even when healthy I would take Burrow over Tua myself. Close, but I would.

When plays break down Burrow never panics and like you said is more aggressive downfield than Tua.

I take burrow at #1with the injuries that tua has had. Bath have a lot of talent, but I'm looking at.garting the guy who doesn't have the injuries going into the draft. 

Both injury free though? I'd flip a coin. I dont think you can go wrong with either.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 02:26 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I get what your saying.  He has been great this year.  I dont think anybody is arguing against that.  You choose to ignore his 2018 tape.  I choose to believe his real ability is in between 2018 and 2019 (closer to 2018).  You believe Tua is a bigger risk due to injuries.  I bellieve that Tua's upside outweighs his injuries and he will be an elite player.  The argument is not winninable by posting stats by either one of us.  Only time will tell which one of us got these guys right.  I just am trying to illustrate Joe Burrow has sooo many more warts than you guys want to admit.  I do not believe he will be a franchise type QB.  I see him as having a decent career but not of the level that would be expected of a #1 overall pick.  Were going to take Burrow and believe me I WILL be a Burrow fan because I am a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals.  Thats not to say I wont be massivly disappointed that we didnt take Tua.  Im not going to be posting I told you so's if Burrow sucks.  I will be just as miserable as everybody else.   I would love to come back on here in 3 - 5 years and everybody tell me how stupid I am.  Thats just not the way I see it going.

1.  I spoke about his 2018 weaknesses so how did I ignore it?

2.  omit;  no I am not omitting his weaknesses I am expressing that he overcomes weaknesses by addressing and improving upon them.  Which I find to be a favorable trait

3   They may draft Tua, just because Burrow is the #1 prospect doesn't mean he's our #1 prospect.  Considering our team history with injuries I think it's more likely they will want Burrow and no one has a magic ball so who knows.  TBH be it Burrows or Tua the one thing that worries me the most is offensive line in this draft and Taking advantage of this deep wide receiver class.  CB/LB is going to be hard for us to fix in the draft so I hope they actually make moves in free agency if they want to take advantage of our aging talent on the team.

4.  I am glad you're speaking more reasonably now about the subject and you have some good takes.  Just don't take this so personal.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Okeana, didn't know a lot of that. Thanks. Wink 

you're welcome.  I think people have this ability to gloss over facts when it comes to a player and giving a gut reaction.

If they were both healthy I think the discussion boils down to scheme fit which is maybe a discussion that should be had, but honestly, this season is all over the place so I have no clue offensively where they want this team to go.  They say run first then go away from Mixon then the passing game comes up short and they go back to Mixon.  This is why I feel like overall the coaches on this team won't last, because either the coordinators are clueless or Zac Taylor doesn't have an overall plan.  You can never sharpen a blade if you're constantly resetting the edge.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 11:43 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't disagree with anything that you said.

However, I think it's safe to say the bolded does not apply to Burrow, who ran an absolute gamut in this past year in terms of competitive teams.

And, as far as someone who puts in the work, studies, etc, I've read that Burrow is, in every conceivable way, that player. So that doesn't concern me either. 

As far as the receivers argument, there's no doubt that LSU has great receivers. But you have to wonder...

How did Jefferson go from a 54 rec/875 yd/8 TD WR in his sophomore year to a 102/1434/18 WR in his junior year?
How did Chase go from a 23/313/3 WR to 75/1559/18 WR in one year?
What about Moss going from 6/49/1 to 42/534/2?
Or Marshall Jr who went from 12/192/0 to 43/625/12?

Jefferson and Moss, in particular, were just 3 star recruits.
Chase was no push over, as a 4 star recruit, but it's not like any of these guys were projected to be stars in college necessarily.
Marshall Jr is the exception, as he was a top 10 recruit, but he wasn't the primary motor of this offense either.

And these players' increase in production isn't because there was someone ahead of them taking up most of the stats that graduated.
In 2018, Jefferson was LSU's leading receiver, with the next highest being TE Stephen Sullivan, with 375 yards.

The 2018 LSU offense, with virtually the same receivers, was significantly less prolific than it was this year.

Burrow was obviously in his first year starting last year and he was serviceable, but not great. His QB rating in 2018 was 133.2. Right between where Jacob Eason and Jordan Love are this year (143.2 and 129.1, respectively).

He elevated his receivers' play just as much as they elevated his. 

Like you said, chemistry. Work. Study. Effort.

These are all things Burrow and his receivers displayed between 2018 and 2019.

I have no doubt that Burrow will only continue in his pursuit of greatness in the NFL with the Bengals next year.

Any player entering a pro sport should want to continue to be great. Some players don't have any luck and end up injured. Others simply land with the wrong coaches/team and their career takes longer to take off. Some players slide the scheme doesn't fit their play style. The reality is if Burrow is the starter next year, getting around 5-6 wins would be a blessing. And the following year getting 8 wins would also be a blessing as the sophmore slump tends to kick in for most QBs. Year 3 is where he should blossom. Can the fanbase be that patient with the team, go another 2 more years of probably having losing seasons? 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:43 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Any player entering a pro sport should want to continue to be great. Some players don't have any luck and end up injured. Others simply land with the wrong coaches/team and their career takes longer to take off. Some players slide the scheme doesn't fit their play style. The reality is if Burrow is the starter next year, getting around 5-6 wins would be a blessing. And the following year getting 8 wins would also be a blessing as the sophmore slump tends to kick in for most QBs. Year 3 is where he should blossom. Can the fanbase be that patient with the team, go another 2 more years of probably having losing seasons? 

I mean...what other choice do we have?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean...what other choice do we have?

Let Dalton be the starter and let Burrow sit for a year, this way he can see and have that pro who been through it help him out. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:55 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Let Dalton be the starter and let Burrow sit for a year, this way he can see and have that pro who been through it help him out. 

Oh.

Yea, that's generally what I want too. It doesn't necessarily have to be a whole year, but I don't want to go into 2020 with Burrow as the de facto starter.

The ideal scenario is that Joe Burrow doesn't start until at least half way through 2020. And if we have a competent starter in front of him, that's perfect. I have no issue with that person being Andy, but he seems to want to go start somewhere, so I am not sure what the Bengals will do with that.
Reply/Quote
To me, I will always remember 2011-2015 with Dalton, as far as his legacy.

2011: Overcame a lockout off-season as a rookie to have one of the better rookie seasons in NFL history up to that point while leading the team to a playoff berth when many thought we'd go 0-16.

2012: 31 total TD's, another playoff berth

2013: Set franchise records for yards and TD's. 35 total TD's.

2014: Numbers weren't great, but when you look at the individual games, he had some big games in key moments with many key players injured, including AJ Green.

2015: Obviously his best season, where he set the franchise record for passer rating at 106.2

He started off 2016 just as hot, with a 100.6 rating in his first 7 starts, but just couldn't keep it going with the team falling apart around him. Just to clarify, since I see so many false accusations flying around: I never saw Dalton as elite. I "defended" him from people who called him garbage. Or people who think he was the primary issue with this team.

Fwiw, it boggles my mind how any knowledgeable fan of this team could blame 1 QB for our failures. We've got a team that's 35-64 (.354) vs the Steelers lifetime, and was 5-14 against the Steelers under Marvin with different QB's, and we're talking like Dalton was the one holding us back? That's lol worthy.

We've been terrible in prime-time since forever. Palmer was terrible in Prime-Time. Palmer's passer rating in PT as a Bengal was worse than Andy's. We haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years, with numerous players playing terribly in playoff games (including Kitna, Palmer and McCarron). Yet it was that dang redhead holding us back?

I get wanting an elite QB. I wanted to sign Peyton Manning after Dalton's rookie season. That's how much I "love" Andy. What I don't get is pretending Andy was the primary thing making us lose big games, or games period. Check what franchise you're a fan of. We've made losers out of a laundry list of good/great players (not saying Andy was great).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 03:42 PM)Okeana Wrote: you're welcome.  I think people have this ability to gloss over facts when it comes to a player and giving a gut reaction.

If they were both healthy I think the discussion boils down to scheme fit which is maybe a discussion that should be had, but honestly, this season is all over the place so I have no clue offensively where they want this team to go.  They say run first then go away from Mixon then the passing game comes up short and they go back to Mixon.  This is why I feel like overall the coaches on this team won't last, because either the coordinators are clueless or Zac Taylor doesn't have an overall plan.  You can never sharpen a blade if you're constantly resetting the edge.

So true.

Even with new coaches this team is hard to figure out but I did like how Turner changed up the blocking scheme and we
improved big time in the running game as the year went on. This should be the scheme as far as blocking goes if we draft
Burrow, take pressure off of him with a good running game. Re-sign Mixon BTW, dude averaged way better YPC then Gio 
did and this is not a coincidence.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 04:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To me, I will always remember 2011-2015 with Dalton, as far as his legacy.

2011: Overcame a lockout off-season as a rookie to have one of the better rookie seasons in NFL history up to that point while leading the team to a playoff berth when many thought we'd go 0-16.

2012: 31 total TD's, another playoff berth

2013: Set franchise records for yards and TD's. 35 total TD's.

2014: Numbers weren't great, but when you look at the individual games, he had some big games in key moments with many key players injured, including AJ Green.

2015: Obviously his best season, where he set the franchise record for passer rating at 106.2

He started off 2016 just as hot, with a 100.6 rating in his first 7 starts, but just couldn't keep it going with the team falling apart around him. Just to clarify, since I see so many false accusations flying around: I never saw Dalton as elite. I "defended" him from people who called him garbage. Or people who think he was the primary issue with this team.

Fwiw, it boggles my mind how any knowledgeable fan of this team could blame 1 QB for our failures. We've got a team that's 35-64 (.354) vs the Steelers lifetime, and was 5-14 against the Steelers under Marvin with different QB's, and we're talking like Dalton was the one holding us back? That's lol worthy.

We've been terrible in prime-time since forever. Palmer was terrible in Prime-Time. Palmer's passer rating in PT as a Bengal was worse than Andy's. We haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years, with numerous players playing terribly in playoff games (including Kitna, Palmer and McCarron). Yet it was that dang redhead holding us back?

I get wanting an elite QB. I wanted to sign Peyton Manning after Dalton's rookie season. That's how much I "love" Andy. What I don't get is pretending Andy was the primary thing making us lose big games, or games period. Check what franchise you're a fan of. We've made losers out of a laundry list of good/great players (not saying Andy was great).

All true, I defended Dalton for years right with yah Shake. Dalton did his best for us and took us to the Playoffs multiple 
years. Will always have a special place in Bengaldom for what he did here, truly respect the guy both on and especially 
off the field. Couldn't have a more classy guy as our QB.

It is time to move on though and Burrow is the perfect QB to move on to IMO.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing Joe Burrow to Andy Dalton. That is fair, I would just expect you to see that Joe Burrow has a much higher ceiling, but Dalton was a good QB here and he should have success someplace else and a fresh start. Joe Burrow does not need to sit 1 year, he can do the same thing Dalton did his rookie year and lead the team to the playoffs in his rookie campaign.
[Image: 5Lx1vqY]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, I defended Dalton for years right with yah Shake. Dalton did his best for us and took us to the Playoffs multiple 
years. Will always have a special place in Bengaldom for what he did here, truly respect the guy both on and especially 
off the field. Couldn't have a more classy guy as our QB.

It is time to move on though and Burrow is the perfect QB to move on to IMO.

100% with ya. It's beyond time to move on from Dalton, and I'm hyped for Burrow. I just don't think we should kick Dalton on the way out.

He accomplished a lot, considering the franchise we're talking about.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 04:57 PM)xEGDx Wrote: I don't think there is anything wrong with comparing Joe Burrow to Andy Dalton.  That is fair, I would just expect you to see that Joe Burrow has a much higher ceiling, but Dalton was a good QB here and he should have success someplace else and a fresh start.  Joe Burrow does not need to sit 1 year, he can do the same thing Dalton did his rookie year and lead the team to the playoffs in his rookie campaign.

Definitely possible as long as the coaches improve dramatically and we add players at OT and Linebacker.

We get a RT to take Hart's spot and a decent sideline to sideline LB in FA to go with Burrow and a talented WR in the draft...

Damn fine start.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 05:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 100% with ya. It's beyond time to move on from Dalton, and I'm hyped for Burrow. I just don't think we should kick Dalton on the way out.

He accomplished a lot, considering the franchise we're talking about.

Yes, treat him well please.

Don't need no fans throwing trash on his lawn or somethin' lol
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 01:28 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Wow.  You really havent watched 2018 then.  He had a worse year than Guarantano and Shurmur.  Statistically he was the 12th rated passer out of 14 in the SEC.  Only beating out Ty Storey and Nick Fitzgerald.  Terry Wilson had a higher passer rating. To say he was good in 2018 is just flat out false.

Passing
Rushing
Rk
Player
School
G
Cmp
Att
Pct
Yds
Y/A
AY/A
TD
Int
Rate

Att
Yds
Avg
TD1
Tua Tagovailoa*
Alabama
Jake Fromm*
Georgia
Jordan Ta'amu
Ole Miss
Drew Lock*
Missouri
Jake Bentley*
South Carolina
Kyle Shurmur*
Vanderbilt
Feleipe Franks*
Florida
Jarrett Guarantano
Tennessee
Jarrett Stidham*
Auburn
Kellen Mond*
Texas A&M
Terry Wilson*
Kentucky
Joe Burrow*
LSU
Ty Storey
Arkansas
Nick Fitzgerald*
Mississippi State

Cherry pick much? You want to totally discount this year but tout QBs who couldn't hold his jock strap this year. Why if the QBs you listed as being better than Burrow in 2018 did he out preform every single one of them. In fact he outperformed every single QB in SEC history. But in your eyes he is a sure fire bust?
Reply/Quote