Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
(01-02-2020, 11:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Dalton Gangers are lashing out like a dying rabid dog trying to protect their last bastion of Andyism.

(01-02-2020, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, most of the more sensible ones actually do want Burrow. You just have a few that will never admit Dalton was part of the problem here. And then there’s Fred who argues just to argue. And what better stance could he take to be able to do so than knocking Joe Burrow?

Don't start with this crap again.

When I dared question Taylor's qualifications I was crucified for "defending Marvin".

If any of you would be honest you would admit that it is extremely unusual for a QB to play 4 years in major college football and then suddenly for no apparent reason elevate his skills to a new level.  I don't care what system Burrow played in last year.  If he was the smartest, most accurate QB in the country with the best pocket presence he would have been better than the 10th rated QB in the SEC., 

This is not about defending Dalton.  This is about trying to open some peoples eyes regarding the history of "one hit wonder" QBs in the NFL draft because obviously a lot of people around here never heard of such a thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't start with this crap again.

When I dared question Taylor's qualifications I was crucified for "defending Marvin".

If any of you would be honest you would admit that it is extremely unusual for a QB to play 4 years in major college football and then suddenly for no apparent reason elevate his skills to a new level.  I don't care what system Burrow played in last year.  If he was the smartest, most accurate QB in the country with the best pocket presence he would have been better than the 10th rated QB in the SEC., 

This is not about defending Dalton.  This is about trying to open some peoples eyes regarding the history of "one hit wonder" QBs in the NFL draft because obviously a lot of people around here never heard of such a thing.

So what would your ultimate move be then Fred ?

Would you extend Dalton (say thru 2025) and not Draft a rookie QB high in the 2020 Draft ?

Would you pass on Burrow and Draft some other rookie QB in the 2020 Draft ?  (and who might that QB be?)

Would you ride with Dalton in 2020 and Draft a QB in the 2021 Draft ? (and who might that QB be?)

Would you bring in a Veteran Free Agent QB?  (an who might that QB be?)

At some point a decision has to be made; what would your decision be then ?

Reply/Quote
Marvin is gone, Andy and probably AJ may be gone. The bengals of yesterday are slowly but surely no longer becoming the bengals of tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
All the shots at Dalton lovers.

If you guys wouldn't swing and miss on so many qb's you'd have something more to point to instead of attacking Dalton lovers.

But when it comes to the failure of yalls preferred choices of McCarron, Driskel, Finley etc, we understand why you go back to the same old lame attacking Dalton and his "lovers".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 05:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are the Bengals going to have a top 5 defense and good offensive line Burrow's first 5 years, like Dalton had?

Palmer did and he couldn't do it. He had Zimmer for awhile there too.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: All the shots at Dalton lovers.

If you guys wouldn't swing and miss on so many qb's you'd have something more to point to instead of attacking Dalton lovers.

But when it comes to the failure of yalls preferred choices of McCarron, Driskel, Finley etc, we understand why you go back to the same old lame attacking Dalton and his "lovers".

Lol none of those guys were drafted (or acquired in Driskel’s case)
to seriously compete with Dalton for the starters job.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  You don't get it at all.

That is why you are having to play "make believe" to include Mahomes and Watson in your list of QBs who have made 5 straight playoffs.

I have to side with Fred here.

Elite QB's did it in Brady, Brees, and Russ.

They say only 2 Qb's look to be on the path of doing it in Mahomes and Watson coming up. Both Elite.

Yet a bum like Dalton did it.

If you guys want to argue that what Dalton was able to do leading a team on that run that was nothing special. Don't point to the 3 elite qb's who did it in the past, and the 2 elite qb's that look on the path of doing it in the future.

Show me the bums who did it....

That's how you prove the run was nothing special.

Not by pointing to all these hall of famers (3 of them) who did it or elite players (2)  who look on the path of doing it.

Who are the bums that did it?

Surely yalls darling Finley, McCarron, Driskel etc should have done it since they were deemed upgrades from Dalton right?

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol none of those guys were drafted (or acquired in Driskel’s case)
to seriously compete with Dalton for the starters job.

But all of them were deemed upgrades from Dalton by....... Well I won't mention all the names, but lets say the same ole crew you see in this thread taking shots at Dalton lovers.  

Which points to why their credibility is in tatters around here, and why we've long not trusted their QB scouting.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I have to side with Fred here.

They say only 2 Qb's look to be on the path of doing it in Mahomes and Watson coming up. Both Elite.

Yet a bum like Dalton who did it.

If you guys want to argue what Dalton led a team on a run that was nothing special. Don't point to the 3 elite qb's who did it in the past, and the 2 elite qb's that look on the path of doing it in the future.

Not by pointing to all these hall of famers (3 of them) who did it or elite players (2)  who look on the path of doing it.

Flacco off the top of my head. Not quite a “bum”, but he’s constantly been used as an example around here of a mediocre QB winning the SB during arguments against not needing an elite QB to do so.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't start with this crap again.

Carson was 6-6 in his jR season after sitting out the soph season with an injury. Palmer blossomed his final year also. If you have to eliminate any pick who hasn't preformed at a top level for years you will be waiting forever. Burrow has proved to the nation he is the best QB in this years draft and ,guess what , we need a QB. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: But all of them were deemed upgrades from Dalton by....... Well I won't mention all the names, but lets say the same ole crew you see in this thread taking shots at Dalton lovers.  

Which points to why their credibility is in tatters around here, and why we've long not trusted their QB scouting.

Wanting to see what Finley had during a lost season is not the same as “deeming him an upgrade.”

As far as people’s credibility, maybe the most ardent Dalton supporters should not be calling anyone else out right about now. We kept hearing about how he’d light it up this year with a new offensive minded coach, and prove 2015 wasn’t an outlier. But instead we tied our worst record in franchise history, and had our 4th losing season in a row. And Dalton’s worst season by far.

It’s certainly seems one side of the Dalton debate has more of a leg to stand on than the other right about now...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wanting to see what Finley had during a lost season is not the same as “deeming him an upgrade.”  

As far as people’s credibility, maybe the most ardent Dalton supporters should not be calling anyone else out right about now. We kept hearing about how he’d light it up this year with a new offensive minded coach, and prove 2015 wasn’t an outlier.  But instead we tied our worst record in franchise history, and had our 4th losing season in a row. And Dalton’s worst season by far.

It’s certainly seems one side of the Dalton debate has more of a leg to stand on than the other right about now...

No Finley was deemed an upgrade and called to start over Dalton well before the season was lost. Let's not rewrite history.

Only a playoff victory or 5 straight playoff runs will silence Dalton supporters. And rightfully so. We can't pump up these QB's that end up having less success as a Bengal as Dalton led teams did. I mean folks will, but results matter. The idea folks prefer losing seasons over playoff seasons that ended in playoff losses will get old eventually. It did for me after 4 losing seasons. Hopefully the argument will be moot in this next Burrow era.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: But all of them were deemed upgrades from Dalton by....... Well I won't mention all the names, but lets say the same ole crew you see in this thread taking shots at Dalton lovers.  

You actually think the powers that be will look at these posts and then decide who they will draft? The sports writers in the US all got together and  pranked the country about who the best player was? He threw for 5k+ yds and 55 freaking TDs with only 6 ints. doubling what Dalton did his senior year. You guys are so butt hurt that your boy Andy is being shown the door that you will grasp at any straw to belittle Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 01:04 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You actually think the powers that be will look at these posts and then decide who they will draft? The sports writers in the US all got together and  pranked the country about who the best player was? He threw for 5k+ yds and 55 freaking TDs with only 6 ints. doubling what Dalton did his senior year. You guys are so butt hurt that your boy Andy is being shown the door that you will grasp at any straw to belittle Burrow. 

Obviously not, not sure what you are arguing with me about. I was team Burrow long before you were (while you were still team Finley. Oops!). Welcome aboard the bandwagon.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 01:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: Obviously not, not sure what you are arguing with me about. I was team Burrow long before you were (while you were still team Finley. Oops!).

It sounds like we’re high school girls arguing about Twilight characters when you put it this way lol

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wanting to see what Finley had during a lost season is not the same as “deeming him an upgrade.”  

Want me to go dig up all those posts about how much superior Finley's "pocket presence" was to Dalton's?

None of my comments in this thread have to do with Dalton.  Maybe I see things differently than most of you because I am a huge SEC fan and watched Burrow last year.  I am guessing most of you never heard of him or paid much attention to him before this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Want me to go dig up all those posts about how much superior Finley's "pocket presence" was to Dalton's?

None of my comments in this thread have to do with Dalton.  Maybe I see things differently than most of you because I am a huge SEC fan and watched Burrow last year.  I am guessing most of you never heard of him or paid much attention to him before this season.

I’ll admit I said Finley has better pocket presence, but one attribute didn’t make him an automatic upgrade. Some of us just wanted to see the rest of his game. We did. And it wasn’t pretty.

Why are you so focused on Burrow from last year? What did you think of him this year? That’s the guy we’d be drafting.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Yet a bum like Dalton did it.
Because of the supporting cast around him. 
That's why people say "in spite of". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 01:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because of the supporting cast around him. 
That's why people say "in spite of". 

I mean, his rookie year he had a rating of 80.4

And 2014 wasn’t much better (83.5)

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 12:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I have to side with Fred here.

Yet a bum like Dalton did it.

If you guys want to argue that what Dalton was able to do leading a team on that run that was nothing special. Don't point to the 3 elite qb's who did it in the past, and the 2 elite qb's that look on the path of doing it in the future.

Surely yalls darling Finley, McCarron, Driskel etc should have done it since they were deemed upgrades from Dalton right?
Mahomes, Wilson, Brees and Brady all have something that has eluded Dalton his whole career, A playoff WIN. All the Dalton Gangers want to compare Dalton to the greats solely for the fact that he made the playoff five years straight. That fact and $1.50 will buy you a coffee at any convenience store in the country. There have been two teams since the sixteen game season started who didn't make the POs even though they were 11-5. There have also been 18 other teams who went 10-6 and didn't make the POs. So Accomplishing something by just being lucky that year(9-7) is not the same as other ones.
Reply/Quote