Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop underestimating our receivers
(09-06-2017, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

The point is, is that I feel like a lot of guys on this roster are undervalued. Brandon Lafell had a GOOD year last year and hes more than capable of being a really good number 2 receiver. Tyler Boyd is only going to be better than last year and I expect him to have some what of a break out year. Eiffert is one of the best tight ends in the league and we all know what AJ is capable of.

This team has other weapons without Jon Ross. He is a complete luxury at this point and the season isn't going to fall apart because hes hurt.

As long as AJ & Eifert both stay healthy, LaFell & Boyd will be able to feast. Imo this will be one of the strongest 4-player receiving corps in the league. 

So yeah I agree, Ross will be a luxury to have when he gets in there for gimmicky plays, or quick 5-10 yard passes to get him in space to hopefully make a big play out of. 

The key though is AJ & Eifert staying healthy. Without them, it doesnt matter who we plug in there to make a serious run. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:56 PM)Benton Wrote: I was pretty open about my feelings on the draft after it wrapped up. We could spend all season wondering 'what if.' But — in my experience — it's best just to move on and enjoy the good times this season. And i think we will have plenty of highlights. if we can get any type of pocket, our offense can hang with anybody.

Go Bengals,  :andy:

Honestly...we've thought for the past 5-6 years that we had great offensive weapons...and Eifert gets injured, the line underperforms, we can't run the ball, etc.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: John Ross will be a stud for many years to come.

He's not even a stud yet, so to predict he'll be one for years to come is nutty.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

The point is, is that I feel like a lot of guys on this roster are undervalued. Brandon Lafell had a GOOD year last year and hes more than capable of being a really good number 2 receiver. Tyler Boyd is only going to be better than last year and I expect him to have some what of a break out year. Eiffert is one of the best tight ends in the league and we all know what AJ is capable of.

This team has other weapons without Jon Ross. He is a complete luxury at this point and the season isn't going to fall apart because hes hurt.

While I support this notion, AJ Green is the only receiver you mention that can get consistent separation.  Ross was going to help take advantage (and still will) of the matchups afforded by doubling AJ Green on the opposite side.

I think Cody Core will get more snaps that many of us thought coming in to this season, because the guy has velocity Lafell and Boyd can't touch.  
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 06:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I support this notion, AJ Green is the only receiver you mention that can get consistent separation.  Ross was going to help take advantage (and still will) of the matchups afforded by doubling AJ Green on the opposite side.

I think Cody Core will get more snaps that many of us thought coming in to this season, because the guy has velocity Lafell and Boyd can't touch.  

If you double team AJ, put Ross on the other side and he is double teamed as well? Your RB/TE will have great numbers that game. Offensive weapons is definitely going to open the middle of the field. Downside, any targets to the middle must be spot on with Dalton (who still struggles with throwing high) or your guys are gonna get killed.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 07:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you double team AJ, put Ross on the other side and he is double teamed as well? Your RB/TE will have great numbers that game. Offensive weapons is definitely going to open the middle of the field. Downside, any targets to the middle must be spot on with Dalton (who still struggles with throwing high) or your guys are gonna get killed.

I doubt that teams double-team John Ross on the bench.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: John Ross will be a stud for many years to come.

I am not sold. I didnt love the pick at the time and still dont. Like I said though, I hope im wrong. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't know why some people don't give Ross a chance. Should you expect him to be a great receiver right away? No. Should you be worried about his injury issue? Yes. I think that you should be cautiously optimistic, but wait for what he does on the field. It's doubtful that he will have great stats this year. He has to compete with Green, Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell for targets. I think he will have 600-700 yards and a few TDs this year, and that's being generous with him.
Reply/Quote
As long as the current guys are healthy, we don't particularly need Ross.

Green is Green.
LaFell proved he's a good WR2.
Boyd is reliable.
Eifert is still Eifert.

We're lacking speed at WR outside of AJ, but I'm confident in this group. As long as Andy isn't flat on his back, they can make things happen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 12:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As long as the current guys are healthy, we don't particularly need Ross.

Green is Green.
LaFell proved he's a good WR2.
Boyd is reliable.
Eifert is still Eifert.

We're lacking speed at WR outside of AJ, but I'm confident in this group. As long as Andy isn't flat on his back, they can make things happen.

Yep. I think our biggest issue on offense is not being able to run the ball and that's largely on the offensive line.

Mixon may help that...but you need blocking.
Reply/Quote
So, we should stop 'underestimating' our WRs, because they are great.

But, everyone here agreeing with that sentiment, also simultaneously claims that WR was a top need for the team, thus defending the John Ross Selection. Even tho the current WRs without Ross, are really good.

Curious, talking in circles, logic.

So our pass catchers are really good.

But we still needed to draft a WR #9 overall - Who no one allegedly expected to do much this year

And, even tho that WR is injured, we should still have taken a WR because it was a huge team need

I think I get it
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:37 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: So, we should stop 'underestimating' our WRs, because they are great.  

But, everyone here agreeing with that sentiment, also simultaneously claims that WR was a top need for the team, thus defending the John Ross Selection.   Even tho the current WRs without Ross, are really good.

But we still needed to draft a WR #9 overall - Who no one allegedly expected to   do much this year

And, even tho that WR is injured, we should still have taken a WR because it was a huge team need

I think I get it

It's tough being a Bengals fan. The reason they drafted Ross...as they do with most draft picks was with an eye 1-3 years down the road to when Green and Lafell are free agents and leave.

Much like how we drafted Eifert and people were like 'WOW we get to pair Gresham with Eifert like the Patriots!' Except...Eifert was drafted to replace Gresham.

Almost all of our 1st Round draft picks have been used this way.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's tough being a Bengals fan. The reason they drafted Ross...as they do with most draft picks was with an eye 1-3 years down the road to when Green and Lafell are free agents and leave.

Much like how we drafted Eifert and people were like 'WOW we get to pair Gresham with Eifert like the Patriots!' Except...Eifert was drafted to replace Gresham.

Almost all of our 1st Round draft picks have been used this way.

If that were true, they should have not have drafted a slot WR, who is 5 foot 11, 190 lbs, who had had Microfracture and Meniscus surgery on one knee, and ACL surgery on the other 

He is not a #1 prototype.  (I can hear  the  BUT Antonio brown replies already)
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:50 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: If that were true, they should have not have drafted a slot WR, who is 5 foot 11, 190 lbs, who had had Microfracture and Meniscus surgery on one knee, and ACL surgery on the other 

He is not a #1 prototype.  (I can hear  the  BUT Antonio brown replies already)

If he brings the play making ability to the Bengals he did in 2016 you can call him a number 3... slot... gimmick I don't care...81 catches 1150 yards and 17 TDs yes I said 17.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Bengals have set themselves up well IF everyone can stay healthy.

AJ is one of the best.
LaFell is a reliable vet @ #2
Boyd looks to be a pretty good slot
Ross provides a field stretcher
Eifert is one of the best.

Hard to beat these guys IF IF IF they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:37 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: So, we should stop 'underestimating' our WRs, because they are great.  

But, everyone here agreeing with that sentiment, also simultaneously claims that WR was a top need for the team, thus defending the John Ross Selection.   Even tho the current WRs without Ross, are really good.

But we still needed to draft a WR #9 overall - Who no one allegedly expected to   do much this year

I think I get it

No circles at all. I said "as long as they are healthy" and that is an extremely important qualifier. 

Again, AJ Green has missed 12 games in the last 3 years. Eifert has missed 27 games over that span. Those are clearly key cogs for this offense and they simply have not been able to stay healthy. Without either of them (or especially without both), our offense becomes the neutered version we saw last year...and in 2014. 

On top of this, we also have the fact that LaFell was a short term solution at WR2. Plus AJ Green is now 29 years old. So not only is Ross a long term fix at WR, he also helps us NOW if either of these injury prone studs get hurt.

Maybe now you'll get it.  ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 02:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Bengals have set themselves up well IF everyone can stay healthy.

AJ is one of the best.
LaFell is a reliable vet @ #2
Boyd looks to be a pretty good slot
Ross provides a field stretcher
Eifert is one of the best.

Hard to beat these guys IF IF IF they stay healthy.

You neglected to mention the offensive line providing adequate blocking.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 02:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No circles at all. I said "as long as they are healthy" and that is an extremely important qualifier. 

Again, AJ Green has missed 12 games in the last 3 years. Eifert has missed 27 games over that span. Those are clearly key cogs for this offense and they simply have not been able to stay healthy. Without either of them (or especially without both), our offense becomes the neutered version we saw last year...and in 2014. 

On top of this, we also have the fact that LaFell was a short term solution at WR2. Plus AJ Green is now 29 years old. So not only is Ross a long term fix at WR, he also helps us NOW if either of these injury prone studs get hurt.

Maybe now you'll get it.  ThumbsUp

Then they should have not have drafted a slot WR, who is 5 foot 11, 190 lbs, who had had Microfracture and Meniscus surgery on one knee, and ACL surgery on the other. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 03:44 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Then they should have not have drafted a slot WR, who is 5 foot 11, 190 lbs, who had had Microfracture and Meniscus surgery on one knee, and ACL surgery on the other. 

Bottom line is the guy didn't miss any college games outside of 2015. Here's the facts on his injuries:

He had ACL surgery in January of 2015 (2.5 years ago)
He had surgery to repair meniscus in April of 2015 (over 2 years ago and pretty common/minor)
He had shoulder surgery this March (delayed to attend his pro day)

He had a breakout season with those knees and got through 2016 without issue. So what's the problem? Why are we pretending that his knees are balky and destined to break like a fragile twig? The shoulder thing was totally unrelated and he played through it, so obviously not much to worry about there. 

Secondly, here's a few other WR's that are 5'11" and 190 lbs or smaller:

Odell Beckham Jr
Antonio Brown
TY Hilton 
Brandin Cooks
Doug Baldwin
Golden Tate
Emmanuel Sanders
Desean Jackson
Stefon Diggs
Willie Snead

These guys were all among the top 32 in receiving yards, many of them top 15. Beckham, Brown, Hilton, Baldwin, Cooks and Jackson are some of the best WRs in the entire league. The size thing is irrelevant.

BTW...Ross is not a slot WR.
Reply/Quote
The facts don't matter if you have an axe to grind
Reply/Quote