Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop underestimating our receivers
(09-06-2017, 10:26 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: How would a team be so delusional?

Even the best teams in the league draft for now.

Name one of the "best" teams that draft for now and not the future? 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Name one of the "best" teams that draft for now and not the future? 

So you think great teams draft guys to 'redshirt' for 1-3 years like Kirkpatrick...when they have immediate starting needs?

Of course, most teams attempt to address deficiencies at starter in free agency in the 1st place so this is a circular argument to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Name one of the "best" teams that draft for now and not the future? 

All of them - especially with their top 2-3 picks 
Reply/Quote
Agree with most said here.

Yet still believe Ross opens so many things up by keeping safeties occupied worrying about him or AJ getting behind them that he would be very helpful now.

Not panicking but it is taxing getting new toys every year and not getting to play with them.

Hopefully he is full speed soon.

Godspeed Mr Ross !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:10 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: All of them - especially with their top 2-3 picks 

Pretty sad you couldn't name one team.
Reply/Quote
We do get Jackson this year so that's like an extra 1st Round pick being on the field. Hopefully he produces.

I still wish they activated him last year over Peerman to get him experience. In hindsight that's an even worse move with Peerman injured again.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget Josh Malone. With Ross out, he might be active on Sunday for the next 2 weeks. He showed up pretty big in preseason.

Erickson is another guy who gets under appreciated as a WR. Then you throw in Core. I think we're looking pretty solid at WR.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Pretty sad you couldn't name one team.

Steelers
Falcons
Broncos
Ravens
Packers
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:47 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Steelers
Falcons
Broncos
Ravens
Packers

The Falcons have had 1 winning season in the last 4 years
The Ravens have had 1 winning season in the last 4 years

You named 3 teams, which I really don't feel like looking up what their drafts and needs look like. 

Teams like the Patriots and Seahawks aren't on that list, even though they have easily been the best teams in the AFC and NFC the last few years. Oh, they don't draft for need. That's why.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Falcons have had 1 winning season in the last 4 years
The Ravens have had 1 winning season in the last 4 years

You named 3 teams, which I really don't feel like looking up what their drafts and needs look like. 

Teams like the Patriots and Seahawks aren't on that list, even though they have easily been the best teams in the AFC and NFC the last few years. Oh, they don't draft for need. That's why.

The Falcons were in the Super Bowl last season.

The Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls since 2001.

We haven't won a SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME since 1991. 26+ years.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Falcons were in the Super Bowl last season.

The Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls since 2001.

We haven't won a SINGLE PLAYOFF GAME since 1991. 26+ years.

And the Patriots and Seahawks have won the SB 3 out of the last 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:38 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: And the Patriots and Seahawks have won the SB 3 out of the last 4 years.

Hmmm...the Patriots signed Gilmore at CB and traded for Cooks.

The Seahawks also bring free agents in and make big trades for guys like Graham.

The Bengals don't draft to fill needs...and don't fill needs in free agency in many cases.

Things aren't as black and white as you're trying to make them.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hmmm...the Patriots signed Gilmore at CB and traded for Cooks.

The Seahawks also bring free agents in and make big trades for guys like Graham.

The Bengals don't draft to fill needs...and don't fill needs in free agency in many cases.

Things aren't as black and white as you're trying to make them.

We're not talking about FA or even the Bengals. We are talking about what is the best way to draft. He was claiming "the best teams draft for need especially in the top 2-3 rounds", and I showed the best team in the AFC the past few years (Patriots) doesn't do it, and the best team in the NFC the past few years (Seahawks) doesn't do it either.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Why would a team, who is allegedly competing for a playoff spot, draft (For the 3rd time in 4 years) a 1st round player they didnt expect to produce much in his rookie year 

Lol 

You obviously haven't followed the Bengals for more than a year, have you?
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We're not talking about FA or even the Bengals. We are talking about what is the best way to draft. He was claiming "the best teams draft for need especially in the top 2-3 rounds", and I showed the best team in the AFC the past few years (Patriots) doesn't do it, and the best team in the NFC the past few years (Seahawks) doesn't do it either.

The best teams likely don't have gaping starting holes in their lineup that allow them to make luxury picks.

The Bengals have several below average starters.

As I've said, Green is 29 and Lafell is 30. Ross was taken with an eye towards replacing those 2 guys in 2-3 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people out here worried about Jon Ross and his injury and how it could effect the receiving corps. In my opinion, I didn't count on Ross to be a huge contributor this year. Maybe on some gadget plays and other ways to take advantage of his speed, but not as a straight up receiver.

The point is, is that I feel like a lot of guys on this roster are undervalued. Brandon Lafell had a GOOD year last year and hes more than capable of being a really good number 2 receiver. Tyler Boyd is only going to be better than last year and I expect him to have some what of a break out year. Eiffert is one of the best tight ends in the league and we all know what AJ is capable of.

This team has other weapons without Jon Ross. He is a complete luxury at this point and the season isn't going to fall apart because hes hurt.

Excellent points. I'm not too worried about the (probably temporary) loss of a guy who (most likely) wasn't going to see a ton of play. This isn't 2011 and this isn't a diluted corps. Even if Ross doesn't touch the field this season, we've got a strong group of receivers. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best teams likely don't have gaping starting holes in their lineup that allow them to make luxury picks.

The Bengals have several below average starters.

As I've said, Green is 29 and Lafell is 30. Ross was taken with an eye towards replacing those 2 guys in 2-3 years.

We don't have several below average starters. We only have a few.
Reply/Quote
Precisely Benton...which leads to the question of if we would have improved the team more with a guy like Foster or Allen?

The defense is aging and has several question marks.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:37 PM)Shady Wrote: Don't forget Josh Malone. With Ross out, he might be active on Sunday for the next 2 weeks. He showed up pretty big in preseason.

Erickson is another guy who gets under appreciated as a WR. Then you throw in Core. I think we're looking pretty solid at WR.

Perhaps not this season but I still think Malone will end up being a very solid player for us !
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely Benton...which leads to the question of if we would have improved the team more with a guy like Foster or Allen?

The defense is aging and has several question marks.

I was pretty open about my feelings on the draft after it wrapped up. We could spend all season wondering 'what if.' But — in my experience — it's best just to move on and enjoy the good times this season. And i think we will have plenty of highlights. if we can get any type of pocket, our offense can hang with anybody.

Go Bengals,  :andy:
Reply/Quote