Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop underestimating our receivers
(09-07-2017, 03:44 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Then they should have not have drafted a slot WR, who is 5 foot 11, 190 lbs, who had had Microfracture and Meniscus surgery on one knee, and ACL surgery on the other. 

He never had microfracture surgery. Now you're just making sh*t up...

Btw, Ross practiced today!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 07:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Btw, Ross practiced today!

Much ado about nothing. Rotoworld says Ross would play week 2 if it wasn't on a Thursday.

As it stands, it looks like we'll have to wait til week 3.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 07:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He never had microfracture surgery. Now you're just making sh*t up...

Btw, Ross practiced today!

Lol. Yes he did

"Ross didn't always see the injuries as a gift. He suffered his first injury against Illinois in the third game of the 2014 season, tearing his meniscus in his right knee. He also needed microfracture surgery after the season. Yet Ross never let on that he was hurt."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17722526/washington-huskies-receiver-john-ross-road-back-injury
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 10:07 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Why would a team, who is allegedly competing for a playoff spot, draft (For the 3rd time in 4 years) a 1st round player they didnt expect to produce much in his rookie year 

Lol 

I know you make statements like these just to annoy people, but I'm gonna bite anyway.

I get so frustrated with this obsession with rookie year success. There's this modern idea that rookies have to come out and dominate and tear the game apart, and if they don't then they're busts. I find its worse for WRs. If you don't come out and do what Keenan Allen or OBJ did then you're a bust. I hate it. This might shock you, but it's okay to develop through practice. 

We should be glad we have the depth to be able to plug John Ross in when we want to, not because we're forced to.

John has a role to play over the next 10 years for this franchise, 2 weeks doesn't matter. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 08:47 PM)ben_lewtas9 Wrote: I know you make statements like these just to annoy people, but I'm gonna bite anyway.

I get so frustrated with this obsession with rookie year success. There's this modern idea that rookies have to come out and dominate and tear the game apart, and if they don't then they're busts. I find its worse for WRs. If you don't come out and do what Keenan Allen or OBJ did then you're a bust. I hate it. This might shock you, but it's okay to develop through practice. 

We should be glad we have the depth to be able to plug John Ross in when we want to, not because we're forced to.

John has a role to play over the next 10 years for this franchise, 2 weeks doesn't matter. 

The last two bengals players drafted to spend 10 years with the team were willie and whit. The chances an oft injured wr make it a decade, are...welllose to zero

We should we glad? They don't have the depth to draft players like this

That's the entire point. You're also downplaying the impact rookie 1st rounders can make for a team. Because, we don't play them.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:12 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: The last two bengals players drafted to spend 10 years with the team were willie and whit.  The chances an oft injured wr make it a decade, are...welllose to zero

We should we glad?  They don't have the depth to draft players like this

That's the entire point.  You're also downplaying the impact rookie 1st rounders can make for a team. Because, we don't play them.

Just watch how much Willis, Lawson and Mixon play this year.  How much did Boyd play last year?  Or Bernard as a rookie?  Or Hill as a rookie?  Jones, Sanu and Eifert.  Your narrative is false.  They may not all immediately play but to say rookies don't play is just dead wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:17 PM)McC Wrote: Just watch how much Willis, Lawson and Mixon play this year.  How much did Boyd play last year?  Or Bernard as a rookie?  Or Hill as a rookie?  Jones, Sanu and Eifert.  Your narrative is false.  They may not all immediately play but to say rookies don't play is just dead wrong.

Eifert was the only 1st Rounder in that list. His contention is our 1st Rounders don't produce as rookies.

Dennard, Ced, Kirkpatrick, Jackson were 1st Rounders. None of those guys were starters as a rookie. They rarely played outside of special teams.

Zeitler played as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eifert was the only 1st Rounder in that list. His contention is our 1st Rounders don't produce as rookies.

Dennard, Ced, Kirkpatrick, Jackson were 1st Rounders. None of those guys were starters as a rookie. They rarely played outside of special teams.

Zeitler played as a rookie.

I'd say it depends on the situation.  When you're staying true to your draft board, sometimes your first rounder will not be  a need.   But it can't be stated as a policy not to play them. 

Jackson was hurt, so how can anyone know how much he would have played?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:41 PM)McC Wrote: I'd say it depends on the situation.  When you're staying true to your draft board, sometimes your first rounder will not be  a need.   But it can't be stated as a policy not to play them. 

Jackson was hurt, so how can anyone know how much he would have played?

I agree on Jackson.

Ced however was a huge reach. He had a severe injury and without the injury would have been a reach that high.

Dennard just looks like a bust.
Reply/Quote
LaFell had solid stats for being a number one. I don't think he's a number one, so having AJ back will help. I also think having Eifert back will help, but really relies on us having any sort of running game to give Dalton windows to throw.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 07:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you double team AJ, put Ross on the other side and he is double teamed as well? Your RB/TE will have great numbers that game. Offensive weapons is definitely going to open the middle of the field. Downside, any targets to the middle must be spot on with Dalton (who still struggles with throwing high) or your guys are gonna get killed.

If both our double-teamed, the run game thrives...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 06:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If both our double-teamed, the run game thrives...

I agree. Plus, if Mixon hits a nice hole, he's going to be hard to tackle.

Reply/Quote
The fake reverses from Ross will be a potent thing. I expect the Bengals to run that play several times in a game and defenses will have to respect it...thus opening up runs.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 08:43 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Lol.  Yes he did

"Ross didn't always see the injuries as a gift. He suffered his first injury against Illinois in the third game of the 2014 season, tearing his meniscus in his right knee. He also needed microfracture surgery after the season. Yet Ross never let on that he was hurt."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17722526/washington-huskies-receiver-john-ross-road-back-injury

Microfracture is only an issue if the player doesn't regain their explosion.  Obviously, that's not the case here.

Burfict also had it and he came back fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 07:08 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Plus, if Mixon hits a nice hole, he's going to be hard to tackle.

If he is better than Kareem Hunt, we are in for a treat...  Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The fake reverses from Ross will be a potent thing. I expect the Bengals to run that play several times in a game and defenses will have to respect it...thus opening up runs.

I'd say the real reverses could be pretty sweet too.  And the jet sweeps.  The first one he ran, he gained nine yards in the blink of an eye.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 05:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If he is better than Kareem Hunt, we are in for a treat...  Shocked

Good Lord, did you see that shit? He fumbled his first carry in the NFL and you would think, Damn! That kid is going to let that determine his game, if not his NFL career. Shit no. This kid stepped it up a notch and made that mistake motivate him. He fuggin became IRONMAN! 

I Love That SHIT! 

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 02:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We're not talking about FA or even the Bengals. We are talking about what is the best way to draft. He was claiming "the best teams draft for need especially in the top 2-3 rounds", and I showed the best team in the AFC the past few years (Patriots) doesn't do it, and the best team in the NFC the past few years (Seahawks) doesn't do it either.

Amazing, both the Patriots and Seahawks aren't afraid to deal out of their 1st round pick, they've both done it multiple times in recent years.  Oh, but when they do draft in the 1st round, they hit it good.  Take a look at their 1st round histories.  Looks like a Who's who in the past dozen years or so.

Pats

Hags

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 07:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good Lord, did you see that shit? He fumbled his first carry in the NFL and you would think, Damn! That kid is going to let that determine his game, if not his NFL career. Shit no. This kid stepped it up a notch and made that mistake motivate him. He fuggin became IRONMAN! 

I Love That SHIT! 

I'm with you 100%.  Dude put his team on his back...and what do you know, a small, super-fast WR took the top off the defense, forced safeties deep and forced LBs to try and cover Hunt which was a complete mismatch.

Does everyone now see why drafting Ross was the right move?  Talk about his health, whatever, but he is the type of weapon we were missing.

If it can work against last year's #1 defense in the NFL, it can work on the rest.  
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 11:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No one bought more tickets this year because Jon Ross was on the team. Give me a break man. 

John Ross' mother.

Check and mate, Sir.   Ninja

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(09-08-2017, 08:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Amazing, both the Patriots and Seahawks aren't afraid to deal out of their 1st round pick, they've both done it multiple times in recent years.  Oh, but when they do draft in the 1st round, they hit it good.  Take a look at their 1st round histories.  Looks like a Who's who in the past dozen years or so.

Pats

Hags

That's pretty crazy that the Patriots and Seahawks, winners of 3 of the last 4 SBs, have made a combined 3 picks in the first round in the last 5 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote