Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
(02-03-2021, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's interesting that CNN and the Dems suddenly care about the lives of law enforcement.

Hell, the dude that got killed was a Trump supporter who was at least looking into Qanon stuff, wasn't he?  This guy and that woman that Ted Kennedy killed seem pretty similar in how quickly they've been canonized by supporters of the political party that didn't kill them.  Geez, this stuff is weird. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-03-2021, 12:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's interesting that CNN and the Dems suddenly care about the lives of law enforcement.

...and that Fox News doesn't. See I can do that too!

Interesting that Fox News and Republicans suddenly care about spending when it comes to stimulus packages. Okay, now you go.
(02-03-2021, 12:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...and that Fox News doesn't. See I can do that too!

Interesting that Fox News and Republicans suddenly care about spending when it comes to stimulus packages. Okay, now you go.

I'm just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of the Dems suddenly caring about law and order and the lives of law enforcement when they've spent most of the last year castigating the police as the brownshirts of an inherently racist criminal justice system.
(02-03-2021, 12:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of the Dems suddenly caring about law and order and the lives of law enforcement when they've spent most of the last year castigating the police as the brownshirts of an inherently racist criminal justice system.

Now here is the thing, they can both say law enforcement has an issue but show remorse for someone killed while doing their duty. Both those things can be true. You can both want people to be able to protest and also not be able to storm the congress of the United States. Things don't have to be black and white.
(02-03-2021, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Now here is the thing, they can both say law enforcement has an issue but show remorse for someone killed while doing their duty. Both those things can be true. You can both want people to be able to protest and also not be able to storm the congress of the United States. Things don't have to be black and white.

No, they don't.  But when your political party spent the last year castigating an entire profession suddenly showing support for that profession because it's politically expedient absolutely reeks of dishonesty.  
(02-03-2021, 01:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, they don't.  But when your political party spent the last year castigating an entire profession suddenly showing support for that profession because it's politically expedient absolutely reeks of dishonesty.  

That's a pretty broad statement there, isn't it? I mean Joe Biden has said for instance he doesn't want to defund the police, and in fact, wants to get them more money. In reality, most Democrats do not support defunding the police but focus on a small group has turned that into a "party-wide" platform when it isn't. Again, somewhere between hating police all police, and backing them no matter what on everything, is where most people sit.
(02-03-2021, 01:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's a pretty broad statement there, isn't it? I mean Joe Biden has said for instance he doesn't want to defund the police, and in fact, wants to get them more money.

Yes, Biden would get a pass in this regard.

Quote:In fact, most Democrats do not support defunding the police but focus on a small group has turned that into a "party-wide" platform when it isn't.

They don't support it know because the public has turned against it once they saw what the outcome would be.  They bought into it fully, and early.  Changing course now because it's politically expedient does not impress me, at all.

Quote:Again, somewhere between hating police and backing them on everything is where most people sit.

Not exactly an earthshaking statement here.  However, the events of the past year have clearly shown a large amount of the Democratic party definitely lean heavily towards the former.
(02-03-2021, 01:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They don't support it know because the public has turned against it once they saw what the outcome would be.  They bought into it fully, and early.  Changing course now because it's politically expedient does not impress me, at all.

Not exactly an earthshaking statement here.  However, the events of the past year have clearly shown a large amount of the Democratic party definitely lean heavily towards the former.

77% of Americans polled by Monmouth said defund the police means to "Change the way they operate" as compared to 18% who think it means to get rid of them. The reality is the messaging was done poorly, but most people took it for what I think most reasonable people believe and that is the way we police needs to change.
(02-03-2021, 01:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: 77% of Americans polled by Monmouth said defund the police means to "Change the way they operate" as compared to 18% who think it means to get rid of them. The reality is the messaging was done poorly, but most people took it for what I think most reasonable people believe and that is the way we police needs to change.

Does it?  Why and how?  Don't blame me for the horrible messaging the Dems bought into 100%.
(02-03-2021, 01:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Does it?  Why and how?  Don't blame me for the horrible messaging the Dems bought into 100%.

Again, they didn't buy in "100%". See you keep saying things like that and in reality, it was always a small piece of the group pushing it loudly and conservative media was happy to help them amplify that message knowing few actually wanted it, not even the party, but it would play horribly as stated.

Use Trump as a perfect example. All of his attacks are focus-grouped before hand, this is a known fact. He would repeatedly say Biden wanted to defund the police even though his record showed otherwise because their strategists knew how it played and sounded.
(02-03-2021, 01:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again, they didn't buy in "100%". See you keep saying things like that and in reality, it was always a small piece of the group pushing it loudly and conservative media was happy to help them amplify that message knowing few actually wanted it, not even the party, but it would play horribly as stated.

Use Trump as a perfect example. All of his attacks are focus-grouped before hand, this is a known fact. He would repeatedly say Biden wanted to defund the police even though his record showed otherwise because their strategists knew how it played and sounded.

It's far more prevalent than you think.  Maybe this is the West Coast liberal crap that I'm constantly dealing with talking, I'll allow for that possibility, but it's literally everywhere here.  Of course you also have the current VP helping raise bail money for accused murderers and sexual predators, so maybe it is more prevalent than you think?
(02-03-2021, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Now here is the thing, they can both say law enforcement has an issue but show remorse for someone killed while doing their duty. Both those things can be true. You can both want people to be able to protest and also not be able to storm the congress of the United States. Things don't have to be black and white.

There's a thread around here somewhere about how folks like Tucker went nuts when Biden said white supremacy was bad.  The gist being that if you are not a white supremacist you wouldn't be offended.

It's the same with police.  If you point out where changes or improvements might be possible or talk about the "bad apples" then you have a group of people get offended even though  they are not in that group.

Substitute gun laws or some other subgroup with a cause they care dearly about and you get the same results.  We are devolving into an "us" vs "them" on all issues.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-03-2021, 02:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: There's a thread around here somewhere about how folks like Tucker went nuts when Biden said white supremacy was bad.  The gist being that if you are not a white supremacist you wouldn't be offended.

It's both interesting and telling that you lead off with this example.  I mean, it's not like you're trying to paint the groups that follow in a negative light by association with white supremacy at all.

Quote:It's the same with police.  If you point out where changes or improvements might be possible or talk about the "bad apples" then you have a group of people get offended even though  they are not in that group.

I think you'll find that when said changes or "improvements" are based on falsehood or deliberate misinformation you'll get that type of response.

Quote:Substitute gun laws or some other subgroup with a cause they care dearly about and you get the same results.  We are devolving into an "us" vs "them" on all issues.

In some ways, to be sure.  However, it's when arguments for or against are based on falsehoods, both deliberate and inadvertent, that you get the type of response you're referencing.
(02-03-2021, 02:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: We are devolving into an "us" vs "them" on all issues.

So VERY MUCH this !

90% of folks are moderates and agree on 75-80% of issues, yet we cast stones over that imaginary line in the middle of the spectrum for every issue.
(02-02-2021, 04:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Absolutely.  However, I tend to confine my condescension to individual and not large swathes of people.
And then four posts later in the same ***** thread

(02-03-2021, 01:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Does it?  Why and how?  Don't blame me for the horrible messaging the Dems bought into 100%.
As you were saying?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(02-03-2021, 03:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: And then four posts later in the same ***** thread

As you were saying?

I don't think you understand what condescension is, because what I stated what not condescending.
(02-03-2021, 03:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: And then four posts later in the same ***** thread

As you were saying?

[Image: 30419cc26a91c6dd31a94df7db219d14.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-03-2021, 05:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 30419cc26a91c6dd31a94df7db219d14.jpg]

I suppose we have to add you to the list of people who don't understand the word.  Your indirect way of responding to me is cute though.  Smirk

As you were saying?

Where's the "condescension"?   Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-03-2021, 10:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where's the "condescension"?   Mellow

Declaring that the Democrats 100% bought into horrible messaging. I was more focusing on his complaints about attacking large swathes of people. I guess it's only condescending when it doesn't attack your side or beliefs. He didn't raise any fuss when Bfritz does it in multiple posts attacking Democrats with mis-information. I notice you don't have a problem with it either.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~