Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday Bengals Game Will Be Cold Weather
(11-17-2022, 12:04 AM)pally Wrote: I'm not a mod just a poster like everyone else.

Wait till he finds out you're not a dude. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 02:33 PM)kevin Wrote: It may not be a factor Sunday, but some games it gets so cold the football turns into a frozen brick.  Throwing it is hard as it just dies in mid air.  Catching it is hard.  You can forget about 50 yard field goals when the footballs are like a frozen brick.  You better get a lot closer to try a field goal.   The frozen brick effect on the football is one of the huge differences between warm weather teams and cold weather teams.  I have seen the Bengals have to try to play with a frozen brick many times, and it does effect the game calling.   However if most of this game is around 30, that is not like zero and the football should be not too bad.

Not sure if you've ever held a cold football, but it doesn't really work that way. The colder it gets, the flatter the ball gets which makes it tougher for kickers because the ball doesn't travel as far. Their foot may get really cold and footing can be hazardous but the football doesn't get 'brick like'. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 02:33 PM)kevin Wrote: It may not be a factor Sunday, but some games it gets so cold the football turns into a frozen brick.  Throwing it is hard as it just dies in mid air.  Catching it is hard.  You can forget about 50 yard field goals when the footballs are like a frozen brick.  You better get a lot closer to try a field goal.   The frozen brick effect on the football is one of the huge differences between warm weather teams and cold weather teams.  I have seen the Bengals have to try to play with a frozen brick many times, and it does effect the game calling.   However if most of this game is around 30, that is not like zero and the football should be not too bad.

Since 1999, field goals of 50 yards or more have a success rate of 56% when the temperature is above 30 degrees. When the temperature is less than 25 degrees, they have a success rate of 57%. The problem with going much lower than that is you just don't have any data to work with. For instance, you mentioned zero degrees. Since 1999, there has been precisely two games with temperatures of zero degrees or worse. These games were New York vs Green Bay in the NFC Championship during the 2007 season and the Wild Card round of 2015, Minnesota vs. Seattle. In these games, the collective kickers were converting 66% of their kicks. However, they only missed one attempt over 40 yards between them and zero attempts over 45 yards. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 10:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Plus as Sam Wyche once said, "you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati.  Ninja

Damn rights. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 11:16 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait till he finds out you're not a dude. Ninja

I was going to say that Phil.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 12:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not sure if you've ever held a cold football, but it doesn't really work that way. The colder it gets, the flatter the ball gets which makes it tougher for kickers because the ball doesn't travel as far. Their foot may get really cold and footing can be hazardous but the football doesn't get 'brick like'. 

Yeah, was going to say this too. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The team is practicing outside again today. The last couple of weeks, they have moved inside for the Friday walk thru. I anticipate that happening again this week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 12:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not sure if you've ever held a cold football, but it doesn't really work that way. The colder it gets, the flatter the ball gets which makes it tougher for kickers because the ball doesn't travel as far. Their foot may get really cold and footing can be hazardous but the football doesn't get 'brick like'. 

Yep the molecules move faster and expand a football when warm and deflates slightly if cold enough.

But they do use different footballs for kicking than regular plays. You always see the kickers massaging the ball trying to use friction to help compensate for it on the sidelines. 

Not positive if that's the balls they take out or not, but was given one of those balls after the Bengals beat the steelers by Maualuga in his rookie season. The ball does have the Bengals name stamped on it. So maybe they each have their own, not positive. But have definitely seen the kickers doing this many times. Also the heater is always in close proximity of where their kicking net is and the balls lay if they do use their own, and to warm their leg and foot before going out on field. 

But either way cold air is way more dense and harder to kick distance in anyway.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 12:04 AM)pally Wrote: I'm not a mod just a poster like everyone else.

Further evidence I don't know anything... Wait that's a bad thing.

Crap
Reply/Quote
I was looking forward to seeing Cleveland and Buffalo play in a snowstorm, but, alas, the game got moved to Detroit.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 08:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: I was looking forward to seeing Cleveland and Buffalo play in a snowstorm, but, alas, the game got moved to Detroit.

Wussies 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 08:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wussies 

Yep, hope they BOTH lose now. Mad
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2022, 12:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep, hope they BOTH lose now. Mad

a zero/zero tie game would be sweet

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2022, 04:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Wow. 

It will be quite a sight for the passengers in South Africa to see you board the plane carrying a winter coat and gloves. On the other hand, if you didn't pack those, I'll guess we'll be reading about someone frozen like a brick next to his snow-buried, dead-battery car in long-term parking.

My wife was waiting for me, with fully-warmed up vehicle. Wearing the quick dry pants I took to Africa made for a rude welcome home even in the 20 foit walk from airport to car. The clear skies and -12 temps are not much better. 

A Bengals win Sunday might just help warm me a bit!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 08:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: I was looking forward to seeing Cleveland and Buffalo play in a snowstorm, but, alas, the game got moved to Detroit.

Bogus, I too was really looking forward to a snow game damn it! Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2022, 04:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep the molecules move faster and expand a football when warm and deflates slightly if cold enough.

But they do use different footballs for kicking than regular plays. You always see the kickers massaging the ball trying to use friction to help compensate for it on the sidelines. 

Not positive if that's the balls they take out or not, but was given one of those balls after the Bengals beat the steelers by Maualuga in his rookie season. The ball does have the Bengals name stamped on it. So maybe they each have their own, not positive. But have definitely seen the kickers doing this many times. Also the heater is always in close proximity of where their kicking net is and the balls lay if they do use their own, and to warm their leg and foot before going out on field. 

But either way cold air is way more dense and harder to kick distance in anyway.  

Yes each team has their own balls with their name on the ball and kickers have their own balls and there are special kicking balls that are brand new and opened by the refs. . I never paid attention to see if they always switch the balls.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote