Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunset's 1st mock '17
Not going to attempt to see in the crystal ball and predict who we re-sign, sign from outside, cut, etc.

No trades assumed, though we do have a shitload of picks..

1. Dalvin Cook RB, Fl. St.

2. Demarcus Walker DE, Fl. St.

3. Pat Elfliein C, Ohio St.

4. Elijah Lee OLB, Kan. St.

4. (comp) Eric Magnuson OT, Mich.

4. (comp) Davonte Fields OLB, L'ville

5. Michael Roberts TE, Toledo

6. Zane Gonzales K, Ariz.

6. (comp) KD Cannon WR, Baylor

6. (comp) Dawuane Smoot DE, Illinois

7. Josh Tapou DT, Colorado

Alright fellas, tear it up..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If anyone is curious, I based these picks off of the current CBSsports prospect rankings.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cook, Elflein, and Magnuson would go a long way to turning the offense around.

Where do you think Magnuson fits in? RT or sliding in to G?
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it wasn't until I read the latest news on Adam Jones, that I realized that I completely neglected the secondary. I guess that is why this is a 1st mock of the season. Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Cook, Elflein, and Magnuson would go a long way to turning the offense around.

Where do you think Magnuson fits in?  RT or sliding in to G?

Initially, at G.  As I truly feel like the team will keep Whitworth around for another year or two, and continue to see what Fisher can do at RT.  As you might be able to tell, I'm not very confident in the team signing Zeitler to any long term deal.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Initially, at G.  As I truly feel like the team will keep Whitworth around for another year or two, and continue to see what Fisher can do at RT.  As you might be able to tell, I'm not very confident in the team signing Zeitler to any long term deal.

I think he is as good as gone. The time to re-sign him at a price I believe the Bengals feel comfortable paying  a RG ended when DeCastro signed his deal. Sucks because that's a draft pick which could be used to fill another need rather than replace a former 1st round pick. Which usually means the Bengals will be ultra conservative in free agency to avoid losing the next year's comp pick. If Zeitler isn't re-signed they will focus on other team's cuts. 

I think Fisher at RT and Magnuson at RG is reasonable and pretty close to what will actually happen. I'm fair to middlin' about Fisher at RT, but Ogbuehi needs to show a dramatic improvement. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think he is as good as gone. The time to re-sign him at a price I believe the Bengals feel comfortable paying  a RG ended when DeCastro signed his deal. Sucks because that's a draft pick which could be used to fill another need rather than replace a former 1st round pick. Which usually means the Bengals will be ultra conservative in free agency to avoid losing the next year's comp pick. If Zeitler isn't re-signed they will focus on other team's cuts. 

I think Fisher at RT and Magnuson at RG is reasonable and pretty close to what will actually happen. I'm fair to middlin' about Fisher at RT, but Ogbuehi needs to show a dramatic improvement. 

I'm not ready to pull the plug on Fisher, just yet.  He has showed signs of being capable of aggression, as well as showing progress in his demonstration of skills.  As for Ogbuehi, I would prefer that they just simply cut bait, and move on.  I'm sure that the "braintrust" inside the "war room", thought they were getting the "steal of the draft" that day, but as for me, I'm convinced that they wasted a 1st round pick on an injured project guy.  In other words, magic beans..

Look around the rosters of teams across the NFL, not every successful OT has to come from a 1st round pick.  I'm relatively certain that a guy like Magnuson has been well coached enough in college, to know that his material is real.  Michigan specifically selects OL prospects that are intelligent, aggressive, and thus great run blockers.  I think that he could be a true "draft steal".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not ready to pull the plug on Fisher, just yet.  He has showed signs of being capable of aggression, as well as showing progress in his demonstration of skills.  As for Ogbuehi, I would prefer that they just simply cut bait, and move on.  I'm sure that the "braintrust" inside the "war room", thought they were getting the "steal of the draft" that day, but as for me, I'm convinced that they wasted a 1st round pick on an injured project guy.  In other words, magic beans..

Look around the rosters of teams across the NFL, not every successful OT has to come from a 1st round pick.  I'm relatively certain that a guy like Magnuson has been well coached enough in college, to know that his material is real.  Michigan specifically selects OL prospects that are intelligent, aggressive, and thus great run blockers.  I think that he could be a true "draft steal".

I'm always partial to O-linemen from Iowa and Wisconsin. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Initially, at G.  As I truly feel like the team will keep Whitworth around for another year or two, and continue to see what Fisher can do at RT.  As you might be able to tell, I'm not very confident in the team signing Zeitler to any long term deal.

I've been studying up what I can on guards because I think you're correct. I think we'll see Whit back for a 1 or 2 year deal, and Zeitler will get paid by a team that thinks it's only a guard away from fixing their line.

With the recent Pacman debacle, the draft we could finally get a defensive playmaker is rapidly turning into the draft where we get another high lineman and corner.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm always partial to  men from Iowa and Wisconsin. 

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm always partial to O-linemen from Iowa and Wisconsin. 

Meh, it's always hit or miss, depending upon the year, the particular player, and how much better the guys around him made him appear.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, it's always hit or miss, depending upon the year, the particular player, and how much better the guys around him made him appear.

True, but all things else being equal I'd lean toward them for an O-lineman. Kinda like Ozzie Newsome loves him some Alabama players. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True, but all things else being equal I'd lean toward them for an O-lineman. Kinda like Ozzie Newsome loves him some Alabama players. 

Good point, indeed.  However, if the truth be said, the best player is the one that fits what your team is trying to do.  Seems like the Bengals OL has been on autopilot for some time now.  Plenty of mid to high round draft picks, even a "hand selected" guy, yet the machine is still broken..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Love the kicker.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, indeed.  However, if the truth be said, the best player is the one that fits what your team is trying to do.  Seems like the Bengals OL has been on autopilot for some time now.  Plenty of mid to high round draft picks, even a "hand selected" guy, yet the machine is still broken..

Do you think the team wasted a pick on Westerman? When he was drafted, it was my guess that he was Zeitler's intended replacement.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 11:00 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Do you think the team wasted a pick on Westerman? When he was drafted, it was my guess that he was Zeitler's intended replacement.

None of us has had the chance to see Westerman in action.  It's like they are trying to keep him a secret, or something.  Hard to actually tell what we have in him.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, it wasn't until I read the latest news on Adam Jones, that I realized that I completely neglected the secondary.  I guess that is why this is a 1st mock of the season.  Cool

If we bring Kirkpatrick back and cut Picman we still have 3 first round CBs plus Shaw and Keivare who was a 3rd Rd pick last year. And the same group of young safeties with another year of experience. 

Lot of good DBs so im not saying we should avoid them. But I think we would be fine if we didnt draft a single DB.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 11:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we bring Kirkpatrick back and cut Picman we still have 3 first round CBs plus Shaw and Keivare who was a 3rd Rd pick last year. And the same group of young safeties with another year of experience. 

Lot of good DBs so im not saying we should avoid them. But I think we would be fine if we didnt draft a single DB.
I wouldn't include dennard in that he's always hurt and when he wasn't allowed a 86 percent completion rate when thrown into his area. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, it wasn't until I read the latest news on Adam Jones, that I realized that I completely neglected the secondary.  I guess that is why this is a 1st mock of the season.  Cool

William Jackson should fill that void

[Image: sig.jpg]

[Image: monkeysridingdogsherdingsheep1.gif?w=1000]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm always partial to O-linemen from Iowa and Wisconsin. 

I heard that about you.........     Ninja
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote