Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl losers mind set
(03-21-2022, 10:39 PM)Nepa Wrote: I was surprised to check Vegas odds for the next Super Bowl and see that the Bengals are only 12th. After being in the big game last year and making all these moves, I though the Bengals might be in the top 5. But Vegas has the Bengals even behind the Browns and Ravens and nine other teams.

I guess the feeling is that the Bengals being in the Super Bowl last year was a fluke.

I would say more of we got hot at the right time and had a little luck. Which is true for a lot of teams who make the SB.

We’re gonna need the same luck next year. It’s rare to be as healthy as we were last year. If 3-4 starters are out next year- will we still make the SB? Hard to say, w borrow we always have a shot. But with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Watson, Jackson, and now Ryan- you always have a shot.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 12:17 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I would say more of we got hot at the right time and had a little luck. Which is true for a lot of teams who make the SB.

We’re gonna need the same luck next year. It’s rare to be as healthy as we were last year. If 3-4 starters are out next year- will we still make the SB? Hard to say, w borrow we always have a shot. But with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Watson, Jackson, and now Ryan- you always have a shot.

We lost more players than people really think it seems. Lost our starting RT, were playing with backups at RG and LG as well.

Lost Ogunjobi our starting DT next to Reader, lost ADG, Bachie, Logan for a time, Pratt for a game or two, D'Ante and Ossai for
the season before the even got a regular season snap. Kareem for a time our other rookie Hubert and many more. Spain was hurt
for the entire playoffs and Superbowl.

I don't believe in luck, I believe we lost a lot of players but the coaches coached up the backups.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Over the years, a lot of Super Bowl losers spent so much energy getting to the Super Bowl, but lost. The following year some struggled to make the playoffs.

I don't like making predictions because injuries at key spots can destroy predictions, but our team seems to have gone from hungry in 2021 to starving in 2022. They want to eat and regardless of the 2022 outcome, the FO has done a phenomenal job in FA. FA is not over, the draft is yet to come, but I am confident in the FO more now than I have ever been.

What is your take of our FO's reaction to losing the Super Bowl by 3 points to a team that went all in, adding key pieces after the season started.

We are going to be dangerous and fun to watch!!
Reply/Quote
We've all spent years or decades absolutely ripping the Bengals.

But everybody surely has to hand it to the FO this time.... we made the Superbowl with a glaring weakness. We've gone pretty much as in as possible to fix that in FA.

We drafted Burrow, and they realise this is the Franchise's shot to finally win a Superbowl. They're going all in to achieve it. It's probably the best time ever to be a fan of the Bengals.

If the O-Line does hold up as hoped, there's definitely nobody we can't hang with. Offence is as good as anything else in the league if we can protect Burrow. Defence was largely lights out last year, im slightly concerned that they won't keep that playoff form up, but if they are hungry again this year we are definitely a team who can give anybody an L.

I'll temper this by saying there's a number of teams in the league this year who have the ability to win it all. There are every year but seems there are a few very stacked teams this year. But we can definitely be one of them.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: A lot of time people point to slumps after a SB, but they don't notate the losses of personnel (coaches and players) that usually occur. We are returning the entire team with upgrades so I don't expect any sort of SB slump.

Buffalo has a loaded roster, but I can't help but think that losing their OC to the Giants as HC would be a big impact on them.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't say for sure, but from listening to NFL radio this morning Cleveland may be having a huge bout of buyer's remorse. Evidently a great deal of their fan base is not happy and letting them know it about Watson. 

Browns fans should love the Watson signing because it gives them the perfect excuse to finally break up with that pathetic franchise and pick a new one. 
Reply/Quote
In December of 2020, Brandon Allen channeled his inner Joe Montana and the Bengals beat the Texans 37 - 31, and that was with DeShaun Watson at QB. So, the Browns made a major F-up in that one.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:24 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: We've all spent years or decades absolutely ripping the Bengals.

But everybody surely has to hand it to the FO this time.... we made the Superbowl with a glaring weakness. We've gone pretty much as in as possible to fix that in FA.

We drafted Burrow, and they realise this is the Franchise's shot to finally win a Superbowl. They're going all in to achieve it. It's probably the best time ever to be a fan of the Bengals.

If the O-Line does hold up as hoped, there's definitely nobody we can't hang with. Offence is as good as anything else in the league if we can protect Burrow. Defence was largely lights out last year, im slightly concerned that they won't keep that playoff form up, but if they are hungry again this year we are definitely a team who can give anybody an L.

I'll temper this by saying there's a number of teams in the league this year who have the ability to win it all. There are every year but seems there are a few very stacked teams this year. But we can definitely be one of them.

As a fan I have begged for the Bengals to go all in. Agree or disagree with each move, but we are only 6 days into FA, have a draft coming and our FO has been crazy busy fixing the OL, resigning a lot of our own and replacing a TE.

This should be a fun team to watch, they are a team that can score points quickly or can create a 17 play drive in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Buffalo has a loaded roster, but I can't help but think that losing their OC to the Giants as HC would be a big impact on them.  

The AFC is going to be a dog fight for years to come, good news is I think we are one of the teams in the ring.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Buffalo has a loaded roster, but I can't help but think that losing their OC to the Giants as HC would be a big impact on them.  

This is a big deal, Dabol was one hell of a OC...

Au's point about us returning all of our own that got us to the Superbowl is a great point. I don't expect any fall off myself.

More like the opposite with a good OL in front of the Joe's for once.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:54 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: In December of 2020, Brandon Allen channeled his inner Joe Montana and the Bengals beat the Texans 37 - 31, and that was with DeShaun Watson at QB. So, the Browns made a major F-up in that one.

I remember Brandon Allen having a great game, this must of been it. Gives me some hope for our backup.

Shake seems to think if Burrow misses any time these are automatic losses with Allen, I don't know about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:54 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: In December of 2020, Brandon Allen channeled his inner Joe Montana and the Bengals beat the Texans 37 - 31, and that was with DeShaun Watson at QB. So, the Browns made a major F-up in that one.

You go girl!! Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a big deal, Dabol was one hell of a OC...

Au's point about us returning all of our own that got us to the Superbowl is a great point. I don't expect any fall off myself.

More like the opposite with a good OL in front of the Joe's for once.

This offensive line will have such a synergistic effect to the entire offense....

Synergy.  One of my "words".  I used it last year when describing how the better pressure up front will help the DBs and better LB play will give the front four more opportunities to rush the passer.  Synergy.  Total product is better than the sum of its parts.

The offense will benefit most obviously with Joe Burrow having more time to throw (remember that graphic at the Super Bowl?  Burrow had something like 1.7 seconds while Stafford had something like 3.7 seconds?)  and opening up the entire playbook.

The rushing attack will also become more effective.  Joe Mixon averaged 4.13 YPC last year.  For comparison, while still rushing for over 1000 yards, Dalvin Cook averaged 4.65 YPC.  Johnathon Taylor had 5.45 YPC.  Nick Chubb led all 1000 yard rushers with 5.53 YPC.  If Mixon is able to get closer to a 5 YPC average.... Wow.  Only Cook had a really high-powered passing game to go along with that rushing attack.  The Vikes just had no defense. 

An often overlooked aspect:  The Bengals knew they often had to chip with TEs and RBs, thus reducing some of the true receiving threats in a pattern.  I think although we may still see some of this, I doubt Collins, who is potentially our best lineman, will need help like that.  

This is just such an exciting time right now.  I am dying with anticipation for the draft!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This offensive line will have such a synergistic effect to the entire offense....

Synergy.  One of my "words".  I used it last year when describing how the better pressure up front will help the DBs and better LB play will give the front four more opportunities to rush the passer.  Synergy.  Total product is better than the sum of its parts.

The offense will benefit most obviously with Joe Burrow having more time to throw (remember that graphic at the Super Bowl?  Burrow had something like 1.7 seconds while Stafford had something like 3.7 seconds?)  and opening up the entire playbook.

The rushing attack will also become more effective.  Joe Mixon averaged 4.13 YPC last year.  For comparison, while still rushing for over 1000 yards, Dalvin Cook averaged 4.65 YPC.  Johnathon Taylor had 5.45 YPC.  Nick Chubb led all 1000 yard rushers with 5.53 YPC.  If Mixon is able to get closer to a 5 YPC average.... Wow.  Only Cook had a really high-powered passing game to go along with that rushing attack.  The Vikes just had no defense. 

An often overlooked aspect:  The Bengals knew they often had to chip with TEs and RBs, thus reducing some of the true receiving threats in a pattern.  I think although we may still see some of this, I doubt Collins, who is potentially our best lineman, will need help like that.  

This is just such an exciting time right now.  I am dying with anticipation for the draft!

Every fan needs to read this and rep you.

Another well thought out and great post

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Every fan needs to read this and rep you.

Another well thought out and great post

offense definately takes a step forward it the talent holds and stays healthy.

Just gotta make sure the Defense doesnt take a step back.  And can keep putting the offense back on the field
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 10:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: offense definately takes a step forward it the talent holds and stays healthy.

Just gotta make sure the Defense doesnt take a step back.  And can keep putting the offense back on the field

I may be wrong, but we still have cap money since in 2022 we will spend less on draft picks than in the past. While some teams need 16 million for their draft pool, we need 6 to 7 million which is a big deal.

So looking at Spotrac, we still have not restructured 1 contract to gain cap space, we could if we find the rights guys. It say we have 25 million, but is missing Collins, Morgan, Irwin and Apple contracts. I think we still have around 16 million with all guys signed.

We also have the draft and we lost Larry O, but we have a very good young DE coming back. We lost Waynes, but he did not contribute much in 2021.

I also think a better running game keeps the defense off the field, if we can improve T.O.P. by 2 to 3 minutes a game, it all adds up to less defensive snaps. I think we need to spend on one more pass rusher so when we get ahead of teams, we can make sure we have fresh guys to attack the QB.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This offensive line will have such a synergistic effect to the entire offense....

Epic post bro. Needs to go in the post HOF. Rock On

Seriously, so true. With La'el now on the right side he can just punch the best pass rushers and knock them down instead of our TE's
and RB's always having to help out and chip like you say. This opens up more options for Burrow in the passing game on dump offs
and screens that can go for big gains. If Mixon and the RB's can get up to 5 YPC this season which I think they can with the OL
upgrades....

Look out, Play Action can take over. I really hope to hear about Burrow working with Karras much more under Center. This makes PA
much more effective then PA out of the Shotgun which we run entirely too often.

The Draft is only like a month away. The ride has just begun, expecting to see greatness this season and in the postseason. This FA
and the draft could possibly be setting up an explosion of immense proportions if as you say the Synergy grows.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Epic post bro. Needs to go in the post HOF. Rock On

Seriously, so true. With La'el now on the right side he can just punch the best pass rushers and knock them down instead of our TE's
and RB's always having to help out and chip like you say. This opens up more options for Burrow in the passing game on dump offs
and screens that can go for big gains. If Mixon and the RB's can get up to 5 YPC this season which I think they can with the OL
upgrades....

Look out, Play Action can take over. I really hope to hear about Burrow working with Karras much more under Center. This makes PA
much more effective then PA out of the Shotgun which we run entirely too often.

The Draft is only like a month away. The ride has just begun, expecting to see greatness this season and in the postseason. This FA
and the draft could possibly be setting up an explosion of immense proportions if as you say the Synergy grows.

Dead on, Nate.  There was some crazy stat that Burrow had a near-perfect passer rating in PA snaps under center last year...or maybe it was the last two years....Regardless, massive opportunity to become less one-dimensional and having Burrow facing defenses that know what is coming and teeing off their pass rush all day long.  

This is stupid to say, and I don't see this being a problem for Burrow at all....but overconfidence may be this team's biggest concern.  They need to be hungry like last year.  
Reply/Quote

Great post. Mixon is going to go off if he can remain healthy. That alone will play huge in giving defenses fits in defending this offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on, Nate.  There was some crazy stat that Burrow had a near-perfect passer rating in PA snaps under center last year...or maybe it was the last two years....Regardless, massive opportunity to become less one-dimensional and having Burrow facing defenses that know what is coming and teeing off their pass rush all day long.  

This is stupid to say, and I don't see this being a problem for Burrow at all....but overconfidence may be this team's biggest concern.  They need to be hungry like last year.  

Makes sense, I remember every time Burrow was under Center good things happened especially in Play Action.

If we can mimic a bit of what the Titans have done in Play Action I think we could be one hell of a tough Offense to stop.

We are already extremely physical as we beat the Titans at their own game and that was with a terrible OL. Imagine how 
physical we will be now with Collins, Cappa and Karras now mopping dudes up. I think we could be the most physical team 
in the NFL now with these additions and bringing back BJ Hill.

Burrow is ultra confident too, no doubt about that. It is a fine line. Can hurt us at times especially when your OL isn't good.

Burrow is probably even more confident now with this OL in front of him though and you never know it might be a good 
thing, we will see. Better to be overly confident than the other way around is all I know.
Reply/Quote