Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survey Finds 40% Of Colleges Have ZERO GOP Professors
(05-08-2018, 12:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: These should never be permanent jobs. To teach you should also have some real world experience.   A lot of these people never leave the classroom.

Teaching is a skill separate from whatever subject is being taught, and having a job in the field will not make a person a better teacher.
(05-08-2018, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Teaching is a skill separate from whatever subject is being taught, and having a job in the field will not make a person a better teacher.

Lol you can’t be serious.

Going to give you a chance to edit your post.
(05-08-2018, 12:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol you can’t be serious.  

No, he's absolutely correct. The ability to teach people geometry is a very different skill set than the one needed to be an architect. The same goes with teaching anything. People who are bad at jobs often try to become teachers in that area, sure, but they're not good teachers. 

I understand that your character is allegedly a former lawn mowing teacher, but you're wrong here. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-08-2018, 12:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol you can’t be serious.  

Yes I am serious. What type of work experience makes a person a better math teacher?  

Look at all of the great NFL coaches that never played in the NFL.  "Coaching" is a completely different skill from "playing".  You can be great at one and suck at the other.  Same goes with "teaching" a subject as opposed to "using" the subject on a job.
(05-08-2018, 09:35 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

You can't mention those inequalities. They're not based on discrimination where as this is. 

But I understand your point as it is also targeted at those brushing this off. The counter argument is that party affiliation is a choice and a silent one at that and not a visible characteristic that is discriminated against.

This person gets it! ThumbsUp

(05-08-2018, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Being a member of the GOP is a choice.

And the reason there are not more GOP liberal arts teachers is because there are not as many GOP members applying for those positions.  Just like in the entertainment industry.  Most artists and performers are just more liberal minded.  It is not like Republicans are being forced out.

(05-08-2018, 12:11 PM)Dill Wrote: 60 years ago that wasn't "imagination".   Let's keep the thought experiment going.

There were exceptions to the pervasive prejudice against Islam at colleges and universities, but notably, they were primarily either religious or military colleges. Thomas Aquinas had 33 full-time faculty; all were Muslim. West Point and Annapolis were more balanced than most universities; they had D:R ratios of 1.3:1 and 2.3:1. Claremont McKenna and Kenyon colleges also featured more viewpoint diversity.

These people don't.  Sad
(05-08-2018, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am serious. What type of work experience makes a person a better math teacher?  

Look at all of the great NFL coaches that never played in the NFL.  "Coaching" is a completely different skill from "playing".  You can be great at one and suck at the other.  Same goes with "teaching" a subject as opposed to "using" the subject on a job.

yep

Vince Lombardi
Bill Walsh
Paul Brown
Bill Belichick
Joe Gibbs
Tom Coughlin
Bill Parcells
John Madden

None of these guys played a single game in the NFL, all of them are considered some of the best coaches in NFL history

(05-08-2018, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am serious. What type of work experience makes a person a better math teacher?  

Interestingly (and I learned this in grad school, between lectures on how to convince boys they all have invisible vaginas) people who are average at things make better teachers/trainers/coaches because they draw from a pool of general knowledge and/or rely upon relatable templates to do their jobs.  Experts in the field deviate from the training and the templates and do things their own way.  They find something that works and they do it, they aren't the ones with their training notes and job aides posted all over the place.

This is why the Jordan Palmers and Jim Harbaughs of the world are better coaches than the Mike Singletarys and Brett Favres etc.  

But also, college professors know a bit about a lot of aspects of one discipline.  I'd find it amusing though if my psychology professor had to get an entirely different degree and actually work as a clinical psychiatrist for X amount of years in order to really understand how to teach the stuff.  

Teaching and doing are different things...I don't understand why so many people who don't understand or are hostile towards education have trouble grasping this...oh wait.
(05-08-2018, 08:34 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: and those who can't teach insult teachers?

I was teaching reconnaissance as a civilian when i first heard it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-08-2018, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Teaching is a skill separate from whatever subject is being taught, and having a job in the field will not make a person a better teacher.

(05-08-2018, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, he's absolutely correct. The ability to teach people geometry is a very different skill set than the one needed to be an architect. The same goes with teaching anything. People who are bad at jobs often try to become teachers in that area, sure, but they're not good teachers. 

I understand that your character is allegedly a former lawn mowing teacher, but you're wrong here. 

These comments support my saying earlier that was taken to be an insult.

(05-08-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was teaching reconnaissance as a civilian when i first heard it. 

I always just assumed it was a generic statement to justify people's hatred of those who dare to try to teach them.  For the first 18 years of life everyone has the common enemy...teachers.  Oh those dastardly teachers!  I don't like them.  They must be dumb and incompetent.  
(05-08-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was teaching reconnaissance as a civilian when i first heard it. 

My apologies for assuming that was meant seriously then!

(05-08-2018, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, he's absolutely correct. The ability to teach people geometry is a very different skill set than the one needed to be an architect. The same goes with teaching anything. People who are bad at jobs often try to become teachers in that area, sure, but they're not good teachers. 

Knowing practical application enhances your lesson plans. You do need to know how to teach but you also need the experience of life/job to know how it fits.
(05-08-2018, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I always just assumed it was a generic statement to justify people's hatred of those who dare to try to teach them.  For the first 18 years of life everyone has the common enemy...teachers.  Oh those dastardly teachers!  I don't like them.  They must be dumb and incompetent.  

Not to derail but I do see it has some merit. In my case it was most definitely true as I was too "experienced" to continue to embrace the suck; it's a younger man's game. I have also talked to econ professors that say they would never venture into a private business; although they can tell you every thing about it. It's just not in their DNA.

I was often selected for instructor duties throughout my career. Think of Jester in Top Gun. Maverick's job was to fly.

(05-08-2018, 01:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Knowing practical application enhances your lesson plans. You do need to know how to teach but you also need the experience of life/job to know how it fits.

You do not actually have to perform an act to be extremely familiar with it's application. Ask yourself who is the best NFL player that ever had great success as a coach?

Most importantly, it shouldnt matter what political party a teacher or professor is a part of. Because a good teacher leaves their political views at the door, while teaching their students on how to develop their own opinions or teaching the subject matter directly so to speak.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Since this thread has derailed a bit let me ad the following.  Being an expert in the field does mean one will make a good teacher on the subject.  In fact experts are often times horrible teachers as they will explain things with the assumption that you share, to some degree, their level of expertise.  A good teacher can approach a subject they are fully educated in and understand how best to explain it to a bunch of people who are wholly or partially ignorant of the subject being taught. 
(05-08-2018, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You do not actually have to perform an act to be extremely familiar with it's application. Ask yourself who is the best NFL player that ever had great success as a coach?

No one said you have to do anything. Really good teachers do well, but the rest of them suffer which then they fall on sjw platitudes. The thread is on the lack of conservative professors. There should be a section of the teaching staff that have some experience.
Teaching high school students is obviously different than teaching early college students and even more different than teaching advanced college students. Even though we call them all "teachers" the roles become different as the level of subject expertise changes and the knowledge of the student changes. In high school, students are being exposed to subjects that they many not be familiar with and/or possess a cursory understanding only. Part of the goal there is to inspire and show them the potential for those disciplines in the real world and also to provide them a chance to learn how to think (at the early stages of this type of thinking). As you get into college, the professor's goal is to teach some specific skills that show how the discipline is applied in the real world (to work more on intermediate stages of learning how to think) and teach some specific stuff. I'm basing this on STEM classes in College. It might be slightly different in other "liberal arts" courses, but overall I think the concept of refining how students learn to think still applies here. As you get further along (say third year or later in College), the courses build on specializing in different aspects of the discipline (again, in my experience in a STEM field), and to build on initial level knowledge about the applications of your discipline. At this point, you're professor's role is really not one of inspiring the student for the most part, but to take them into deeper understanding close to a beginning level professional's understanding. Still, there is no guarantee that everything you learned up to this point will end up being used thoroughly in your profession because there's a lot of different "specialties" within the employment. Again, your professor's job is to show a range of possibilities, to help the student decide where to proceed based on the student's aptitude.

Now at the advanced levels (graduate and up), the professor's goal is to allow the student to specialize to the point that the student can pioneer some new work on their own. Especially at the level of doctorate students. The professor is more of a guide here, and essentially the student is learning on their own.

Coming back to the original point, the professors in college (at least in STEM fields) are only expected to teach enough at the undergrad level so that the student can then be prepared to learn as much as they can in their eventual employment. The prof is not expected to know all the nuances, nooks and crannies or whatever you will, about day to day activities of the job. I imagine a lot of this will translate to the other fields as well, but especially so for STEM fields. Maybe there's a small exception to those students in Medical School as many of their training at that level is meant to directly translate over to their work, but I'm not sure.
(05-08-2018, 03:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one said you have to do anything.  Really good teachers do well, but the rest of them suffer which then they fall on sjw platitudes.   The thread is on the lack of conservative professors.  There should be a section of the teaching staff that have some experience.

Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-07-2018, 05:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: https://www.dailywire.com/news/30331/indoctrination-survey-finds-40-colleges-have-zero-hank-berrien

No wonder we have a safe space community with young people.  It’s also rather disturbing that almost 40% of universities can’t find 1 republican to teach.  Have to wonder about the hiring practices. 

Show me instances where colleges require applicant professors to disclose their political or religious ideologies and then I can show cases of overt discrimination based upon political or religious biases.

But don't forget to include private institutions. You know, places like Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts University, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Anderson University, Dallas Baptist University, Spring Arbor University, Trinity Christian College, Oklahoma Christian University, Concordia University Irvine, John Brown University, Le Tourneau University, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Master’s University, Northwest University, Fresno Pacific University, Biola University, Liberty University, Huntington University, Roberts Wesleyan College, Gordon College, Simpson University, Houghton College, Bethel University, Geneva College, North Park University, Azusa Pacific University, Lipscomb University,  George Fox University, Seattle Pacific University, Greenville College, Hope International University, Dordt College, Westmont College, Northwestern College, Milligan College, Eastern University, Point Loma Nazarene University, Corban University, Abilene Christian University, Asbury University, Cedarville University, Union University, Taylor University, Calvin College, Grove City College, Messiah College, Whitworth University, Wheaton College, College of the Ozarks, Hillsdale College, University of Dallas, Liberty University, College of the Ozarks, Regent University, Patrick Henry College, Brigham Young University, The King’s College, Harding University, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ave Maria University, Christendom College, Pepperdine University, Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, Thomas Aquinas College, Hampden-Sydney College, Texas A&M, Grand Canyon University, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Maranatha Baptist University,  Colorado Christian University, University of Northwestern - St. Paul, Anderson University - South Carolina, Union University, North Greenville University, Samford University, George Fox University, Wheaton College, Benedictine College, Ouachita Baptist University, Taylor University, Evangel University, Southeastern University, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, California Baptist University, Crown College, Covenant College, Cornerstone University,
Hillsdale College, Lee University, Asbury University, Freed-Hardeman University, Moody Bible Institute, John Wesley University, Arizona Christian University, Pillar college, Randall University, Life Pacific College, Dallas Christian College, Ozark Christian College, Ohio Christian College, Trinity College of Florida,  Luther Rice College, Manhattan Christian College, Great Lakes Christian College, God's Bible School and College, Southeastern Bible College, Bethesda University, Cincinnati Christian University, American Baptist College, Ecclesia College, Baptist Universities of the Americas, etc.... etc.... etc...

Maybe all of the Republican teachers are working there, eh.

And this is all perfectly legal because they are "private" schools. The fact is, most private universities in America are conservative and religious. And, yes, they will check your resume (and your Facebook page) to see if your ideology matches theirs.

The conservative accusations that all private liberal arts schools are run by liberal communist feminist hippy Nazis is pure trash. It doesn't hold with reality. But that has never stopped conservatives from making accusations before.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]