Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Sweating " bullets
(04-07-2024, 10:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Carter slid last year for off field stuff that resulted in a fatality.

And then just was dominant.

Until we know the details, I cannot say how much he will slide.

It will be some. I think #49 could get him now for sure. Maybe #80 or #97.

I still love McKinley Jackson. But neither is gonna, be DJ Reader.

Higgins to Giants for Lawrence. It lets them take McCarthy & gives him a #1.

We could trade down, take Thomas to fill Tee's shoes, or Bowers. Or Coleman later. Or go trenches.

I just don’t see this trade happening.  I can’t see the bengals paying hill 10+ million or Rankins 13 million per year to be a backup.  Sweat is a fricking idiot
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 10:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Higgins to Giants for Lawrence. It lets them take McCarthy & gives him a #1.

Dude this isn't Madden. The G-men are already 8M over the cap in effective cap space. Trading would cost them 28M in dead cap,, plus they would take on 21M in Higgins. They couldn't do that trade even if they wanted to.

As far as Sweat goes,, the dude is an absolute moron. He already had question about his motivation, his work ethic, his conditioning and his commitment. Now there's a serious question about his intelligence. I hope the Bengals stay away from him. Just too many flags.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 06:35 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Well, looks like no worries now about him being available at pick 49...DWI , took a page right out of the marvin lewis pick me draft strategy
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39895470/ex-texas-longhorns-dl-tvondre-sweat-arrested-dwi

Wow, that is about as dumb as you can get. The same month of the Draft, let's go drunk driving!!!  Whatever

Could go as low as the 5th after that and I bet some teams have taken Sweat completely off their boards, we might of.
Reply/Quote
Why do we make things up? There's not been any questions about his work-ethic and he doesn't have problems with his weight; he's just big.

The kid went to the combine and did well. He's been a consistent performer during his college career.

Now if he's guilty of the DUi then he's a dumb 22-year-old kid.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I will never understand this in the age of Uber and Lyft.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I will never understand this in the age of Uber and Lyft.

He needs to race his sports car. That's what they do.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do we make things up? There's not been any questions about his work-ethic and he doesn't have problems with his weight; he's just big.

The kid went to the combine and did well. He's been a consistent performer during his college career.

They have been questions. T'Vondre Sweat played most of his college career under 350 at around 347 including in 2022 then ballooned to 365 for his second senior year. 

As for work ethic alot of the Texas guys are getting that label. Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, and Sanders. Pretty much everyone but Murphy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do we make things up? There's not been any questions about his work-ethic and he doesn't have problems with his weight; he's just big.

But there are some scouting reports that bring up concerns about his work-ethic (and his conditioning) and his weight. I was not one of those who brought it up, and maybe his work ethic is actually a strength, but it is on some scouting reports' radars. Here, for example, are the weaknesses identified by one scouting report:
  • Weaknesses:
    As far as conditioning, I think many of us noted that he was on the sideline during key parts of a playoff game last year, during obvious run situations. In fact, the camera focused on him on the sidelines, and the announcers express surprise that he was out during those key plays. But he was obviously winded.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't blame a single coach who felt they could not trust this player after he does this with less than a month to go before the biggest day of his young life.

Simply foolish.

I think he's talented enough that he will still be drafted and, if he is still there in the 4th round, I would probably be interested in taking him if we haven't already drafted a nose tackle like McKinnley Jackson, but he will likely start his career suspended for at least a few games.

The Bengals, recently (with the exception of Jackson Carman, who seems to have been a Mike Brown pick), have avoided character issue players and gravitated towards team captains and leaders. I think this may take Sweat off their board entirely.
Reply/Quote
I think Carlos DUI'd before we took him in the 2nd. Albeit he was more of a 1st round talent than Sweat. We are a different coaching staff now though.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 10:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd still take him in Rd2. We all know people that have a DUI in their past. Not really the harden criminal.

As people are starting to figure out today, do you know how much it takes a 366 lb person to drink to be drunk? There were maturity and partying issues that he flat out lied to teams during interviews about. Basically, there are teams that now believe you can't trust him because he lied to your face in the last month.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 10:21 AM)Nepa Wrote: But there are some scouting reports that bring up concerns about his work-ethic (and his conditioning) and his weight. I was not one of those who brought it up, and maybe his work ethic is actually a strength, but it is on some scouting reports' radars. Here, for example, are the weaknesses identified by one scouting report:

• Weaknesses:
  • As far as conditioning, I think many of us noted that he was on the sideline during key parts of a playoff game last year, during obvious run situations. In fact, the camera focused on him on the sidelines, and the announcers expresses surprise that he was out during those key plays. But he was obviously winded.
1st off quit reading Walter
Synric Wrote:They have been questions. T'Vondre Sweat played most of his college career under 350 at around 347 including in 2022 then ballooned to 365 for his second senior year. 
Quote:As for work ethic alot of the Texas guys are getting that label. Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, and Sanders. Pretty much everyone but Murphy.
You don't win the Outland Trophy (Best interior lineman in college football), be awarded Big-12 Defensive player of the year, and named unanimous 1st-team All-American when you have weight "problems". You don't go to the NFL Combine and participate as he did to show off "poor work-ethic".
Many folks just run w/ stereotypes. Big kid=Lazy 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1st off quit reading Walter
You don't win the Outland Trophy (Best interior lineman in college football), be awarded Big-12 Defensive player of the year, and named unanimous 1st-team All-American when you have weight "problems". You don't go to the NFL Combine and participate as he did to show off "poor work-ethic".
Many folks just run w/ stereotypes. Big kid=Lazy 

Andre Smith was 2x First Team All SEC, a Unanimous All American, and an Outland and Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner.  And he had weight problems, big time.

Equating awards with good work ethic is as much of a stereotype as "big=fat and lazy".  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: As people are starting to figure out today, do you know how much it takes a 366 lb person to drink to be drunk? There were maturity and partying issues that he flat out lied to teams during interviews about. Basically, there are teams that now believe you can't trust him because he lied to your face in the last month.

Sure, I understand that. I'm sure his stock will slip. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Andre Smith was 2x First Team All SEC, a Unanimous All American, and an Outland and Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner.  And he had weight problems, big time.

Equating awards with good work ethic is as much of a stereotype as "big=fat and lazy".  

What was his weight problem other than folks taking a picture of him without a shirt running the 40? 

Andre went on to have a productive 12 year NFL career. He didn't live to the hype, but he did better than his other "in-shape" fellow 1st Rounders:

Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Michael Oher

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What was his weight problem other than folks taking a picture of him without a shirt running the 40? 

Andre went on to have a productive 12 year NFL career. He didn't live to the hype, but he did better than his other "in-shape" fellow 1st Rounders:

Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Michael Oher

The fact that he was overweight at the Combine and had to be banished to the Rehab field for failing his conditioning test multiple times isn't a problem?  I seen to remember it being a problem for a lot of people through the years.

Denying the fact that there's a problem and gambling despite there being a problem are two different things.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: The fact that he was overweight at the Combine and had to be banished to the Rehab field for failing his conditioning test multiple times isn't a problem?  I seen to remember it being a problem for a lot of people through the years.

Denying the fact that there's a problem and gambling despite there being a problem are two different things.  

You're trying to make the correlation between Andre and T'V because they are both big. Andre showed up at the combine 7 lbs. over his playing weight and left the combine early. T'V did neither of those things. T'V showed up at the exact same weight he played at and won all the awards.

Even with his "weight problem" Andre had the best NFL career of any of his "in-shape" contemporaries. It's really not worth debating, some will see T'V at 366 and consider it a problem; but I'm willing to guess it'll be a bigger problem for opposing O-linemen. 

It does appear the kid's not too bright if he did drink and drive this close to the biggest day of his live, but I don't see the weight problem or lack of work ethic others see. 

Reply/Quote

It isn't made up, he has had work ethic questions since he gained nearly 20 pounds going into his second senior year as Synric shows.

Being a dumb kid is an excuse, but to do this on the biggest month of your life is dumber than dumb and dumber. I don't know how this 
guy can figure out how to shed an NFL block after doing this. Surprised he has played as well as he has in college. I wouldn't mind drafting
him in the mid rounds now, but I sure wouldn't depend on him being a good player for us now either.

Give me McKinnley Jackson over T'Vondre Sweat every day of the week.

(04-08-2024, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I will never understand this in the age of Uber and Lyft.

Same, I could somewhat understand it back in the day, but now? Nah, no excuses for this.

(04-08-2024, 08:03 AM)Synric Wrote: They have been questions. T'Vondre Sweat played most of his college career under 350 at around 347 including in 2022 then ballooned to 365 for his second senior year. 

As for work ethic alot of the Texas guys are getting that label. Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, and Sanders. Pretty much everyone but Murphy. 

Yep. I still want Byron Murphy big time at 18.

He is the one that stands alone of these Longhorns as a hard working young man with great character.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 08:03 AM)Synric Wrote: They have been questions. T'Vondre Sweat played most of his college career under 350 at around 347 including in 2022 then ballooned to 365 for his second senior year. 

Perhaps suggesting there's not been questions was a poor way to phrase it; as anyone can ask the question. Who's been asking the "questions"? Folks looking for a "negative" to put on their scouting reports/ Board members looking for reasons not to draft him? 

Sure, he gained 10-15 lbs and you may have a point if his play would have declined because of it, but it didn't. So why is the weight a "problem"? 

FWIW T'V said it was just him growing into his "man body" and is comfortable at that weight. His play on the field and combine performance seem to back that up. 

Yon can have "Smokey" Jackson if you want, but if I'm given a choice between the 2 it's gonna take about 3 seconds to make it. 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're trying to make the correlation between Andre and T'V because they are both big. Andre showed up at the combine 7 lbs. over his playing weight and left the combine early. T'V did neither of those things. T'V showed up at the exact same weight he played at and won all the awards.

Even with his "weight problem" Andre had the best NFL career of any of his "in-shape" contemporaries. It's really not worth debating, some will see T'V at 366 and consider it a problem; but I'm willing to guess it'll be a bigger problem for opposing O-linemen. 

It does appear the kid's not too bright if he did drink and drive this close to the biggest day of his live, but I don't see the weight problem or lack of work ethic others see. 

Andre was 332 at the Combine and the 325 he weighed in at for his Pro Day was reportedly the lightest he'd been in 3 years.  Listed weight and actual playing weight are two different things.

It's an issue if the team culture is built around accountability.  It's also an issue if a players conditioning is so bad that despite being subbed heavily,they're sitting on the sidelines in obvious situations where they should be in the game during the biggest game of their life because of it.  That's my opinion.  
Reply/Quote