Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE position
Should the Bengals be placing a high priority on drafting a TE from near the top of this year's class?

With Eifert's latest injury being recommended for back surgery, there is a chance that he may never be fully right again. I did a little reading on NFL players that have had disc surgery. Stats show that 2/3 return to the field of play, for an average of around 3 years. Average recovery time listed as approximately 9 months. However, the majority of the stats they posted were related to disc surgery in the cervical region. (closer to the neck) I also tried to find greater details of Eifert's latest injury, and all articles simply stated back injury, surgery recommended, no additional specifics.

So, with Eifert's lengthy injury history, and no guarantee that he'll ever be 100% again, what should they do? We have CJ Uzomah, who has shown himself to be serviceable. Personally, I see Uzomah as a bit of a disappointment. Given his size and athleticism, I would have expected him to emerge as a serious mismatch to opposing LBs and Safeties. Tyler Kroft seemed to look like a nifty addition his rookie year, but he has seemed to settle into his role as the 3rd TE. And then we have Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt looked like pure gold his rookie year. He was delivering crushing blocks from the FB and HB positions, as well as making some nice catches underneath the defense. Since then, his role has decreased immensely.

Bottom line is that the Bengals have no one on the roster to fill the void that the absence of a healthy Tyler Eifert creates. I don't feel like the Bengals should panic and reach for one of the top 2 or 3 of the TE class, but some of the mid round TEs are looking pretty good this year.

For example, I like Jordan Leggett from Clemson. 6'5" 258, hands like a WR, fluid route movement, and physicality to match his frame.

What do you think? Should the Bengals be looking TE?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking yes. Eifert is going to have surgery (again) in the offseason and has missed half of the games in his career so far. Jordan Leggett from Clemson is a solid prospect but will probably be scooped up by the 3rd round.

With how this season has gone, other than QB, every position is a target for improvement during the draft.
Reply/Quote
They have a lot of needs right now, and yes TE is one of them. I'm a big fan of Eifert, but he's banged up a lot (so is Gronk btw), so we would be wise to add some better depth at the position. I agree they shouldn't reach though. Both lines are far bigger needs right now.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Should the Bengals be placing a high priority on drafting a TE from near the top of this year's class?

With Eifert's latest injury being recommended for back surgery, there is a chance that he may never be fully right again.  I did a little reading on NFL players that have had disc surgery.  Stats show that 2/3 return to the field of play, for an average of around 3 years.  Average recovery time listed as approximately 9 months.  However, the majority of the stats they posted were related to disc surgery in the cervical region. (closer to the neck) I also tried to find greater details of Eifert's latest injury, and all articles simply stated back injury, surgery recommended, no additional specifics.

So, with Eifert's lengthy injury history, and no guarantee that he'll ever be 100% again, what should they do?  We have CJ Uzomah, who has shown himself to be serviceable.  Personally, I see Uzomah as a bit of a disappointment.  Given his size and athleticism, I would have expected him to emerge as a serious mismatch to opposing LBs and Safeties.  Tyler Kroft seemed to look like a nifty addition his rookie year, but he has seemed to settle into his role as the 3rd TE.  And then we have Ryan Hewitt.  Hewitt looked like pure gold his rookie year.  He was delivering crushing blocks from the FB and HB positions, as well as making some nice catches underneath the defense.  Since then, his role has decreased immensely.

Bottom line is that the Bengals have no one on the roster to fill the void that the absence of a healthy Tyler Eifert creates.  I don't feel like the Bengals should panic and reach for one of the top 2 or 3 of the TE class, but some of the mid round TEs are looking pretty good this year.

For example, I like Jordan Leggett from Clemson.  6'5" 258, hands like a WR, fluid route movement, and physicality to match his frame.

What do you think?  Should the Bengals be looking TE?

I think we have to with Eifert's injury history and this was before the back that i wanted a TE in this draft.

Jake Butt is the main guy but like you said we shouldn't panic and take him over a legit pass rusher opposite of Dunlap
which is what i think this team should look for in the first round. Center in the 2nd and a guy like your guy Leggett and a
raw, talented OT in the mid rounds and this team should be much improved.

Edit: But we also need a LB somewhere in there as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we have to with Eifert's injury history and this was before the back that i wanted a TE in this draft.

Jake Butt is the main guy but like you said we shouldn't panic and take him over a legit pass rusher opposite of Dunlap
which is what i think this team should look for in the first round. Center in the 2nd and a guy like your guy Leggett and a
raw, talented OT in the mid rounds and this team should be much improved.

Edit: But we also need a LB somewhere in there as well.

Here's the thing Nate, the TE class really is loaded top to bottom.  CBS has like the top 13 at the position with 6th round or higher grades.  I'm just pimping Leggett, because I've watched him on TV so many times this season.  There very well could be any number of those middle of the pack rated players that would be a great fit on this team.

Whereas with some of the other positions, there is a greater drop off in quality, after the top 2 or 3 of whichever position group you're looking at.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't put a high priority on TE, having a stud TE is a luxury not a necessity imo

We have much bigger needs on both sides of the ball. I would be fine going into another season with what we have at TE if we can fix the o line, however, if there is a great value at TE at one of our picks where he is BPA I would be all for spending and early pick on one too.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing Nate, the TE class really is loaded top to bottom.  CBS has like the top 13 at the position with 6th round or higher grades.  I'm just pimping Leggett, because I've watched him on TV so many times this season.  There very well could be any number of those middle of the pack rated players that would be a great fit on this team.

Whereas with some of the other positions, there is a greater drop off in quality, after the top 2 or 3 of whichever position group you're looking at.

That is great news, didn't know the TE position was that stacked this year. Love it. That way we can get that pass rusher
early, a decent Center and an athletic LB in the the first 3 rounds. I just named Butt cause he is great in both pass catching
and blocking and from what i heard is the top propect in this draft.

Shouldn't panic like you said and grab him up though. I am wanting Derek Barnett more and more if he is there in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:43 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I wouldn't put a high priority on TE, having a stud TE is a luxury not a necessity imo

We have much bigger needs on both sides of the ball. I would be fine going into another season with what we have at TE if we can fix the o line, however, if there is a great value at TE at one of our picks where he is BPA I would be all for spending and early pick on one too.

The truth, if we can fix the O-line that will help this team the most.
Reply/Quote
I was asking myself the same thing. I guess Jordan Reed (Redskins) will be asking more than we'd offer. I just hope Eifert fully recovers. Obviously, this team does better with him.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:43 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I wouldn't put a high priority on TE, having a stud TE is a luxury not a necessity imo

I hear what you're saying, fixing the OL can happen in a variety of ways.  However, did you not notice the stark difference in red zone effectiveness when Eifert is in the game, and when he is out?  Pretty sure that in today's NFL a good TE is a weapon that any successful offense can ill afford to be without.

As far as OL goes, I would draft the best run blocking C we can, just flat out dump Ogbuehi on the side of the road somewhere, kindly ask Paul Alexander to retire, and use some money in FA to get the best Tackle on the market that we can afford for 2-3 years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If we are going tight end, this is the one we want, and won't have to use a first round pick on him.....

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/137192/cole-hikutini

Remind you of anyone? Dalton to Hikutini could be a very good combination....

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear what you're saying, fixing the OL can happen in a variety of ways.  However, did you not notice the stark difference in red zone effectiveness when Eifert is in the game, and when he is out?  Pretty sure that in today's NFL a good TE is a weapon that any successful offense can ill afford to be without.

As far as OL goes, I would draft the best run blocking C we can, just flat out dump Ogbuehi on the side of the road somewhere, kindly ask Paul Alexander to retire, and use some money in FA to get the best Tackle on the market that we can afford for 2-3 years.

Damn good points Sunset. Rock On
Reply/Quote
The thing is without Eifert we don't have a viable option in the red zone other then running it 3 times with Hill and getting nothing.

Sad
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I think we'll see if CJ develops. He made strides this season. Got some good experience. We have bigger needs then a TE with a high pick.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'd go DE in the first and TE in the second. A TE like hodges or leggett would be nice additions. I would be all for pulling the trigger on a TE in the second if it helps us score more points. If we get a center in the draft he wouldn't play no matter how good he is. We would have to get a good center in free agency to have an immediate impact. Same goes with OT, we need to get a good OT in free agency to have an immediate impact.

The window for the bengals to win a superbowl is getting very small. Dalton is going to be 30, Green 29, Atkins 29 and Dunlap 28. Our good players are now starting to get close to the point where they wont be at peak level for much longer. We need to win now.

We need to trade mccarron to the jets for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. Overthecap has us getting four comp picks. If we pull off that trade we would have a 1st, two 2nds, two 3rds and three 4th round picks. Most would be top 8 of each round picks. We could load up this draft. We need to go all in this draft and hit home runs that will have an immediate impact.

I wonder if we could pull off a trade of mccarron and bodine to the jets for mangold and a 2nd. Mangold still has a few years left of peak level. He's like whitworth, a technician. I just looked it up, didn't even know mangold grew up close to Cincinnati. He must be a bengals fan.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
Absolutely the Bengals should look for a top notch backup/insurance plan for Eifert. Obviously Tyler has been a huge part of the offense and that part kind of disappears when Eifert goes down.

The Pats have a similar situation with Gronk, and they went out and signed a TE coming off a 90 catch season. Now Gronk is out yet again and Bennett is a huge part of their offense.

It's all about identity and stability. Is Eifert a huge part of the offensive plan? Absolutely. Is he hurt a lot? Yes. So make sure the offense can keep humming if he misses time. I don't care if it's through the draft or via FA.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If we are going tight end, this is the one we want, and won't have to use a first round pick on him.....

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/137192/cole-hikutini

Remind you of anyone? Dalton to Hikutini could be a very good combination....

Exactly, there are a lot of good TEs in this year's class.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm only promoting Leggett because I watched at least 5 Clemson games, and feel comfortable vouching for his talents.  I would endorse others, but I really don't know a ton about them.  Well, Jake Butt, I watched several Michigan games.  Butt is the real deal, but not worth the 1st round pick for what you can have in rounds 3-5.

Anyone know much about that TE from Arkansas? Sprinkle is his name?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
For whatever reason Marvin/Zampese are obsessed with using TEs as blockers/outlet receivers only.  There were multiple games where they probably could have used Eifert to carve up the defense and didn't.  IDK what the point of having a great TE is if they just make them stay back and block and only throw to them in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 05:57 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: For whatever reason Marvin/Zampese are obsessed with using TEs as blockers/outlet receivers only.  There were multiple games where they probably could have used Eifert to carve up the defense and didn't.  IDK what the point of having a great TE is if they just make them stay back and block and only throw to them in the red zone.

How about Michael Roberts from Toledo.  6'4" 270, he has the classic style build of the inline blocker.  He led all TEs in the nation, with 15 TD catches this season.  CBS has him as a 5-6 round pick.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think we'll see if CJ develops. He made strides this season. Got some good experience. We have bigger needs then a TE with a high pick.

See if CJ develops?  Develops into what?  The guy has all the physical tools that anyone could ask for.  I just don't see the drive, the love, the determination, the desire to be great.  Likely why he isn't already a Power Forward in the NBA...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote