Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Shows Gone Too Soon
(06-21-2015, 11:54 PM)Benton Wrote: Haven't seen the other two, but My Name is Earl was an awesome show.

Raising Hope was a good show, too. Also killed by Fox too soon was Firefly.

Other shows:
Kolchak the Nightstalker (Darren McGavin version)
Reaper
Chuck
Jericho
Dead Like Me

(06-22-2015, 02:31 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Firefly
Stargate Universe
Freaks and Geeks

(06-22-2015, 09:45 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Glad to see there is at least one other Browncoat around these parts.

I'm also going to list The Dresden Files.

A nice urban fantasy wizardy show is an awesome thing. Here's hoping The Magicians will make it work.

Sad
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I watched Jericho on Netflix, and stopped watching with maybe four episodes left because I realized it wasn't going to have an ending.

They sort of tried. They knew they probably weren't coming back, so the last episode doesn't try to wrap up any plot points, but gives you a really amount of closure.

Another one I'll toss out is Phineas and Ferb. The show just ended last week with its fourth season. My kids loved that show and considering some of the horrible kids programming out there, it was alright to watch with them.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 02:31 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Firefly
Stargate Universe
Freaks and Geeks

(06-22-2015, 09:45 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Glad to see there is at least one other Browncoat around these parts.

I'm also going to list The Dresden Files.

A nice urban fantasy wizardy show is an awesome thing. Here's hoping The Magicians will make it work.

Took 15 posts for Firefly...the most criminally cut short show ever...dang
Reply/Quote
Some great shows mentioned here......

I'll go with Tour of Duty.......which was also memorable for using the Stones' "Paint it Black" as the opening theme song.....and had a killer soundtrack that CBS even released as four different volumes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Duty_(TV_series)#Music

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:27 AM)Benton Wrote: Sad

(06-22-2015, 10:30 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Took 15 posts for Firefly...the most criminally cut short show ever...dang

Only took 10, apparently. Benton threw it in, just not in his list with the rest.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Only took 10, apparently. Benton threw it in, just not in his list with the rest.

No list in the verse will confine me.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Only took 10, apparently. Benton threw it in, just not in his list with the rest.

(06-22-2015, 10:35 AM)Benton Wrote: No list in the verse will confine me.

Ah....well...who writes in paragraphs!?!
Reply/Quote
If it makes all of you Firefly people happy, Sheldon Cooper is still irate about it being cancelled. The gang even got to meet Summer Glau on a train trip. Howard weirded her out btw.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:35 AM)Benton Wrote: No list in the verse will confine me.
[Image: ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png]

(06-22-2015, 10:38 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ah....well...who writes in paragraphs!?!

No kidding, right?

(06-22-2015, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: If it makes all of you Firefly people happy, Sheldon Cooper is still irate about it being cancelled.  The gang even got to meet Summer Glau on a train trip.  Howard weirded her out btw.

I'm one of the few actual geeks/nerds out there that does like TBBT. There are some issues with the show, but the disgruntlement over the cancellation of Firefly that is expressed there is an accurate portrayal for sure.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: If it makes all of you Firefly people happy, Sheldon Cooper is still irate about it being cancelled.  The gang even got to meet Summer Glau on a train trip.  Howard weirded her out btw.

I know who Summer Glau is, Sheldon and Cooper are new to me.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 10:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: [Image: ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png]

No kidding, right?

I'm one of the few actual geeks/nerds out there that does like TBBT. There are some issues with the show, but the disgruntlement over the cancellation of Firefly that is expressed there is an accurate portrayal for sure.

So is it that geeks/nerds don't like it because they don't think it accurately portrays them?  Not being into the TV shows those guys are, I find it hilarious when they argue over shows.  Babylon 5 sucks, Battlestar Galactica is great, this Star Trek movie is great, this one is terrible.  Or when Amy points out to them that Indiana Jones actually found the Ark for the Nazis and they go into depression.  (I did like Raiders btw)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So is it that geeks/nerds don't like it because they don't think it accurately portrays them?  Not being into the TV shows those guys are, I find it hilarious when they argue over shows.  Babylon 5 sucks, Battlestar Galactica is great, this Star Trek movie is great, this one is terrible.  Or when Amy points out to them that Indiana Jones actually found the Ark for the Nazis and they go into depression.  (I did like Raiders btw)

There are some in the geek community that have their knickers knotted because they feel that geek culture is being usurped and TBBT is a reminder of this to them. Some feel the writing is getting stale (I agree to an extent) and then many feel that the laughter is at the geek community and not with it.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 11:00 AM)Benton Wrote: I know who Summer Glau is, Sheldon and Cooper are new to me.

[Image: Dr_sheldon_cooper.jpg]

Dr Sheldon Cooper. Theoretical physicist.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So is it that geeks/nerds don't like it because they don't think it accurately portrays them?  Not being into the TV shows those guys are, I find it hilarious when they argue over shows.  Babylon 5 sucks, Battlestar Galactica is great, this Star Trek movie is great, this one is terrible.  Or when Amy points out to them that Indiana Jones actually found the Ark for the Nazis and they go into depression.  (I did like Raiders btw)
Nerd culture is very big right now. The Big Bang Theory is both to thank and to blame for that. But as a nerd, it upsets me when people say "OMG I just watched all the Marvel Movies. I'm such a nerd lolz". These people who've never picked up a comic book pretend to be nerds, yet they're the same people who chastised nerds just 10 years ago. That's what upsets me.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 03:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: Nerd culture is very big right now. The Big Bang Theory is both to thank and to blame for that. But as a nerd, it upsets me when people say "OMG I just watched all the Marvel Movies. I'm such a nerd lolz". These people who've never picked up a comic book pretend to be nerds, yet they're the same people who chastised nerds just 10 years ago. That's what upsets me.

Revenge of the Nerd?

God help us all. Sad
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 03:53 PM)Bryan Wrote: Nerd culture is very big right now. The Big Bang Theory is both to thank and to blame for that. But as a nerd, it upsets me when people say "OMG I just watched all the Marvel Movies. I'm such a nerd lolz". These people who've never picked up a comic book pretend to be nerds, yet they're the same people who chastised nerds just 10 years ago. That's what upsets me.

Well I'm not one of them. Big Grin   My neighbor loves all of those comics and movies and all the sci-fi stuff, and I cringe every time he asks me if I want to see one.  I'll watch the occasional Batman, Superman or Spiderman movie but that's about it.

To me, and I may be completely wrong here, a nerd has to be pretty damned smart.  

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 04:13 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Revenge of the Nerd?

God help us all. Sad

What the f**k is a frush?

Reply/Quote

I was into sports growing up. I never was inside except to eat and sleep. so I never got into comics, dungeons and Dragons, or any of the "nerd" type stuff. But i will say I love those movies and shows based on the comics now . Big bang is funny. But I haven't seen it in a Cpl years.

I never made fun of nerds but i wasn't doing nerd things back in the day. But I do love those movies and shows now. I wish I had been exposed to them when I was younger.... I think it would make the shows that much better. Or maybe I would be upset they weren't following along idk.
Reply/Quote

I used to really hate it, but I've stopped caring anymore. I enjoy the money being pumped into some of these things because nerd and geek culture is becoming such a thing. We reap a lot of those benefits. Though, to be fair, things like outrageous prices for cons and whatnot are a hindrance. So much that we have been able to enjoy as fans of comics or genres of fiction such as sci-fi and fantasy or gaming is a direct result of them becoming more mainstream because who was going to pay for all of that? I took my lumps as a nerd years ago. Sitting around at a friend's playing AD&D, M:TG, or maybe even some Star Wars d6 action. Talking about characters and maybe even throwing a d20 at lunch. Stopping by the local all around nerd shop (gaming, comics, all of it) each Wednesday for a new haul. If they want to get excited about and throw their money at the things we love, then I say let them have it.

(06-22-2015, 04:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I'm not one of them. Big Grin   My neighbor loves all of those comics and movies and all the sci-fi stuff, and I cringe every time he asks me if I want to see one.  I'll watch the occasional Batman, Superman or Spiderman movie but that's about it.

To me, and I may be completely wrong here, a nerd has to be pretty damned smart.  

I read an article a while ago by someone in the community, can't remember who, and essentially it said that being a nerd or a geek is really just about being passionate about something. Are you passionate about comics? Nerd. Are you passionate about history? Nerd. Are you passionate about fantasy sports? Nerd. Doesn't matter what you're into, if you are passionate about something like that you belong in the community because that is what it is all about. Now, a lot of people will disagree with that and I still don't know how much I do, but believe me, not all nerds are smart. Some of us may have been the kids in the honors/AP/CP classes rocking 3.85 or higher and all of that, but that's not all of us for sure.

For an example of that, think about Zack on TBBT. Not the brightest bulb, not by a long shot. But I'd call him a nerd all the same.

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 12:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There are some in the geek community that have their knickers knotted because they feel that geek culture is being usurped and TBBT is a reminder of this to them. Some feel the writing is getting stale (I agree to an extent) and then many feel that the laughter is at the geek community and not with it.

Before I make my actual reply

Usurp -

verb (used with object)

to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.)by force or without legal right:
The pretender tried to usurp the throne.

to use without authority or right; employ wrongfully:

I am not a nerd.  I like most nerds I've known and have always been known to hang out with them.  I don't know if Matt meant it this way but one place I feel the term "nerd" is being usurped is this crap of assuming all nerds are into comic books.  Very few I've know are.  In fact most people I knew who were into comic books were "stoners".

D&D, as mentioned, elsewhere is something most nerds were into.  This translates to role playing video games but not ALL video games.  Just because someone is a gamer doesn't make them a nerd.

I look at TBBT and laugh at the illogical sterotypes people have given nerds these days and find the show humorous.  I also love Sheldon and Bernadette but even those two aren't accurate portrayals of nerds to me.  Howard and Leonard are probably closest to what i consider as actual nerds.

But more on topic, for the most part I consider most shows that get cancelled early on worthy of it but a few I would like to have seen more of - 

WKRP (Rep to the OP for mentioning that one)
Picket Fences
I will give Firefly a nod because I think it could have gone somewhere but as it was, I can see why it got canned.
X-files I'll also mention but with a qualifier - It never regained it's original feel after the Mulder disappearance.  To me it should have either ended there or not taken such a turn when he came back. To me it was at that point is was "cancelled" in that some powers that be killed it at that point. And Mulder and Scully becoming a couple, just horrible.  Most shows that have a male and female leads who aren't a couple at the beginning should just keep them that way.  CSI's Grissom and Sidle were and exception.  Speaking of CSI, apply my thought to the X-files to Grissom leaving the show and that show was "cancelled" in the same way.

Edit - I forgot to mention Arrested Development. Great show.
Reply/Quote