Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
Is this a bad sign for NFL politicizing football?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29863775/viewership-drops-13-last-year-nfl-season-opener

I say yes, NFL won't allow God in the stadiums or on uniforms and ignores other social justice major issues like abortion.

As a fan, either let it all be all inclusive to all social issues or in my opinion, fans will be lost.

Lots of ways to protest, allowing NFL to dictate America is full of racism while ignoring other minority issues makes BLM and NFL look like hypocrites.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 07:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is this a bad sign for NFL politicizing football?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29863775/viewership-drops-13-last-year-nfl-season-opener

I say yes, NFL won't allow God in the stadiums or on uniforms and ignores other social justice major issues like abortion.

As a fan, either let it all be all inclusive to all social issues or in my opinion, fans will be lost.

Lots of ways to protest, allowing NFL to dictate America is full of racism while ignoring other minority issues makes BLM and NFL look like hypocrites.

I saw at least three players praying in the end zone before kickoff last night. Not to mention players kneeling in prayer or pointing to the heavens after scoring, and players from both teams joined in a prayer circle after games.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 07:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is this a bad sign for NFL politicizing football?

Last night I was proud of the players

I was saddened by the fans

I was saddened by the NFL

I hung in there for a while but every now and then an NFL game interrupted the social message so I turned it off.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Felt like a regular NFL game to me... Of course I hate all the shitty songs with Carrie Underwood, Hank Jr, and Florida/ Georgia Line that are played on TV before all the big games. I'm happy football is back. I'm not gonna poo poo any of it. If the NFL loses fans it'll only be temporary.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Maybe people turned it off because fans were booing during the national anthem.
Reply/Quote

The NFL allows prayers. They don't allow non-approved uniform changes of any type. Religion isn't singled out. The recent exception was one that the player's association negotiated for. 

Most fans support the players using this platform:

[Image: UQ3YN7XPRBCR7KIHFW5JGZ6LK4.jpg&w=916]

The NFL doesn't dictate that the US is full of racism because they are acknowledging its existence. It existed well before last night.

Also, the "if you don't also focus on X issue, then your focus on Y issue is wrong" argument is stupid and illogical. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I would say that may be part of it. But lets face it 2020 has been a shit year with Covid. The whole protest thing is least of the reason why I am at the most uninterested I have been for the NFL, and we even have a #1 drafted QB starting in two days. Im just waiting for that moment when games are cancelled, season suspended, etc. which just makes it hard for me to get into football season this year.

Fyi I tuned until the Texans scored. Wandered off into Xbox land, and looked at the score later on.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm trying to read the posts but half of them are "I don't care what black people want to talk about!  Just entertain me!"

Also...everyone complaining...watched.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe people turned it off because fans were booing during the national anthem.

Or maybe they were helping their kids with their virtual homework. This year is just like last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 07:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I saw at least three players praying in the end zone before kickoff last night. Not to mention players kneeling in prayer or pointing to the heavens after scoring, and players from both teams joined in a prayer circle after games.

Im Pretty sure they were all praying to Satan. God isn't allowed in an NFL stadium. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im Pretty sure they were all praying to Satan. God isn't allowed in an NFL stadium. 

On a side note... I thought about starting one of those threads that I hate. You know the ones that sorta tease the topic? It wasn't gonna be in this forum but it was gonna be like.

19 years ago today...

Slayer released God Hates Us All.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The NFL allows prayers. They don't allow non-approved uniform changes of any type. Religion isn't singled out. The recent exception was one that the player's association negotiated for. 

Most fans support the players using this platform:

[Image: UQ3YN7XPRBCR7KIHFW5JGZ6LK4.jpg&w=916]

The NFL doesn't dictate that the US is full of racism because they are acknowledging its existence. It existed well before last night.

Also, the "if you don't also focus on X issue, then your focus on Y issue is wrong" argument is stupid and illogical. 

Always interesting to see the political party that gave us the first celebrity president thinks celebrities should keep their politics to themselves.  

So leave politics to the politicians but all hail our non politician president. 
Reply/Quote
Disciple!
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
The great thing about statistics is pretty much anyone can try and use them to show correlation between just about anything.

I'm sure people butthurt about the "activism" played a role. I'm also sure that competition with the NBA playoffs (among other sports) for viewers, the lack of a preseason, the matchup (Texans are hardly a huge draw), and other things played a role. Viewership has been on the decline for a while. It's just a vocal minority that will complain about anything that they don't like will try to use the decline for their own confirmation bias.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Always interesting to see the political party that gave us the first celebrity president thinks celebrities should keep their politics to themselves.  

So leave politics to the politicians but all hail our non politician president. 

"Shut up and dribble, LeBron"

"Drew Brees deserves to state his opinion"
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Im Pretty sure they were all praying to Satan. God isn't allowed in an NFL stadium. 

You just know he would lose his shit over a non-Christian god, too.

Can you imagine if Chad scored a touchdown and brought a goat out he had stashed near the end zone then slit its throat as a sacrifice to Zeus?

Still not as bad as seeing Janet Jackson’s nipple for 0.3 nanoseconds.
Reply/Quote

I’m tired of them shoving their religion in my face.
Reply/Quote
13% down? That comes out to about 194,000 viewers gone. That is so weird. I wonder where 194,000 people went to instead of watching football last night?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:50 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: 13% down? That comes out to about 194,000 viewers gone. That is so weird. I wonder where 194,000 people went to instead of watching football last night?

The flu kills more NFL fans every year than activism does. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 08:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’m tired of them shoving their religion in my face.

A few years ago a player was penalized and fined for praying to Mecca in the end zone.  
Reply/Quote