Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
(09-14-2020, 11:35 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I am more than happy to agree to disagree.  :)

What is it you disagree with?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: One of the reasons I like isidewith is it is more nuanced. 

It is, but I've also found that most people don't have the patience for it. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is, but I've also found that most people don't have the patience for it. LOL

Oh, that is true. I make 100 15 year olds take it each year. 

"Click more options!"

"Click load more question!"

"We're 10 minutes into class, I know you didn't finish it yet. Go back and load all of the question!"
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:22 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Just curious. What are the policies of Trump that you agree with and what are the deal breakers with Biden?

Sure,

Abortion, immigration, climate change, 2A, SCOTUS picks are some big ones for me.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:54 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Why should others be governed by your religion?

I didn’t see him mention religion. Weird assumption that people can only be against abortion due to religion.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I didn’t see him mention religion. Weird assumption that people can only be against abortion due to religion.

On page 1, post 1 of this thread he made the claim the NFL won’t allow God in the stadiums.

Weird how I made that assumption.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: On page 1, post 1 of this thread he made the claim the NFL won’t allow God in the stadiums.

Weird how I made that assumption.

I didn't say he was an atheist, but you don't need religion to be against abortion.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:32 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: From a health perspective Trump can’t read difficult words like Yosemite, can’t complete difficult tasks like walk down a wheelchair access ramp by himself, and there is his mysterious, unscheduled, middle of the night trip to Walter Reed to get an “early start on his physical.”

As for China, Trump’s so hard on China he praised President Xi’s response to the pandemic and thanked him for his transparency.

(09-14-2020, 11:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What is it you disagree with?
No one is perfect at pronouncing or reading all words and that was never an argument I made about Biden.  The ramp thing was completely ridiculous and I have never argued Biden has some kind of physical ailment.  No one actually knows why he went to the Hospital, so that is pure speculation.  I believe at least a couple people went on record to say it was nothing and specifically said Trump has had no heart related issues.  There was a much fancier medical term used, but i'm not smarterererer enough to remember it.   Tongue

I am not trying to attack Biden and i'm not saying he is a bad person.  I just think something is cognitively off from watching him over the last few months and watching video of him speak from 10-20-30 years ago.  Just my opinion.

Just because someone says nice things about a person does not mean they are not being tough on them.

As I said before, I vote policy not person.  I just happen to think Trump, while not the greatest person, is not the Anti-Christ Hitler that is destroying america.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I didn't say he was an atheist, but you don't need religion to be against abortion.

True.

But, if someone is upset the NFL won’t allow God into stadiums when he admits he sees players praying before, during, and after the game I’m gonna say it’s a deduction he is against abortion based upon religion and not an assumption. Because he brought up religion and abortion, not me.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True.

But, if someone is upset the NFL won’t allow God into stadiums when he admits he sees players praying before, during, and after the game I’m gonna say it’s a deduction he is against abortion based upon religion and not an assumption. Because he brought up religion and abortion, not me.

So if in the same thread instead of saying what he did about abortion, he said he wouldn't vote for Republicans because they don't take care of the needy, your response would have been identical? In a broader sense do you object to people saying we need to take care of the less fortunate because that's what Jesus would want?

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:16 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: No one is perfect at pronouncing or reading all words and that was never an argument I made about Biden.  The ramp thing was completely ridiculous and I have never argued Biden has some kind of physical ailment.  No one actually knows why he went to the Hospital, so that is pure speculation.  I believe at least a couple people went on record to say it was nothing and specifically said Trump has had no heart related issues.  There was a much fancier medical term used, but i'm not smarterererer enough to remember it.   Tongue

I am not trying to attack Biden and i'm not saying he is a bad person.  I just think something is cognitively off from watching him over the last few months and watching video of him speak from 10-20-30 years ago.  Just my opinion.

Just because someone says nice things about a person does not mean they are not being tough on them.

As I said before, I vote policy not person.  I just happen to think Trump, while not the greatest person, is not the Anti-Christ Hitler that is destroying america.

Trump said he down played the pandemic. His press secretary is on record claiming he didn’t down play the pandemic. What does that tell ou about their on record statements? How many of Trump’s associates have been convicted of fraud, obstruction of justice, and lying to investigators? People don’t go to the hospital in the middle of the night for part of a physical when Fox News is on or they’re busy tweeting despite what known liars say.

The same thing you claim about Biden’s speech can also be claimed about Trump.

Google trump's deteriorating speech. First thing that pops up . . . https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if in the same thread instead of saying what he did about abortion, he said he wouldn't vote for Republicans because they don't take care of the needy, your response would have been identical? In a broader sense do you object to people saying we need to take care of the less fortunate because that's what Jesus would want?

As it turns out, you’re right and I’m wrong. I didn’t expect these results, but I am willing to change my mind based upon data.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/christians/christian/views-about-abortion/
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump said he down played the pandemic. His press secretary is on record claiming he didn’t down play the pandemic. What does that tell ou about their on record statements? How many of Trump’s associates have been convicted of fraud, obstruction of justice, and lying to investigators?  People don’t go to the hospital in the middle of the night for part of a physical when Fox News is on or they’re busy tweeting despite what known liars say.

The same thing you claim about Biden’s speech can also be claimed about Trump.

Google trump's deteriorating speech. First thing that pops up . . . https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/

That's fair, but my only concern about Biden's health is that we will get Harris and with Trump we will get Pence.  Again, it's back to policy for me.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: As it turns out, you’re right and I’m wrong. I didn’t expect these results, but I am willing to change my mind based upon data.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/christians/christian/views-about-abortion/

I wasn't trying to do a right or wrong. (Not even sure that proves me "right")  Just saying that you don't need religion to be against abortion, and even a religious person can be against abortion and not base it solely on their religious teachings.  

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:45 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Sure,

Abortion, immigration, climate change, 2A, SCOTUS picks are some big ones for me.

The problem is that many of these issues get blown out of proportion.

For example I hear many people claim they support Trump on the 2A because Democrats want to take away everyone's guns.  Or they agree with Trump on immigration because Dems want "open borders".  But neither one of those claims are true.

I am a democrat who owns a gun and wants to keep my gun.  But we desperately need more regulations on guns in this country.  Just a basic licensing of all owners and registration of all guns would be a huge benefit to law enforcement when it comes to enforcing the gun laws we already have on the books.  It would make it a lot harder for criminals to buy and posses guns.

And on immigration very few Trump supporters realize that a MAJORITY of undocumented immigrants entered the United Sates LEGALLY instead of sneaking across the border with Mexico.  I am a democrat who is against open borders, but I want immigration policies that work instead of policies that don't work and just stoke hatred for Mexicans.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:09 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: That's fair, but my only concern about Biden's health is that we will get Harris and with Trump we will get Pence.  Again, it's back to policy for me.

I support legal immigration. I don’t support deploying active duty troops to the border for law enforcement duties in violation of our law. I don’t support defunding our military to build a wall.

I support the 2nd Amendment. But, I also support better background checks.

Biden and Harris aren’t nearly as far left as right wing media suggests. I’m not crazy over Biden/Harris, but I’d take either over Trump or Pence.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:15 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wasn't trying to do a right or wrong. (Not even sure that proves me "right")  Just saying that you don't need religion to be against abortion, and even a religious person can be against abortion and not base it solely on their religious teachings.  

I understand you weren’t trying to be right or wrong, but I was operating with the hypothesis most Christians are against abortion based upon their religion. The data from that poll indicates I’m wrong and you’re right. Jeesh, are we going to argue over I’m wrong and you’re right?
Reply/Quote
Must say I was pleased with the players yesterday pregame.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-player-protests-national-anthem/j2ewh9cume8z1ktdv4um6druk

And think our boys did it as well as any:

Quote:Chargers vs. Bengals

All Chargers and Bengals players stood in the middle of the field and locked arms during the national anthem.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I understand you weren’t trying to be right or wrong, but I was operating with the hypothesis most Christians are against abortion based upon their religion. The data from that poll indicates I’m wrong and you’re right. Jeesh, are we going to argue over I’m wrong and you’re right?

If you want we can. LOL  I think Mill said something along the lines of being able to know enough about an opposing view to argue it.  But it could have been someone else who said it, and I could be wrong about what they said.  

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:16 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I am not trying to attack Biden and i'm not saying he is a bad person.  I just think something is cognitively off from watching him over the last few months and watching video of him speak from 10-20-30 years ago.  Just my opinion.

I share your concerns about Biden. He is not what he once was. But I still plan to vote for him.

The jury is still out on whether Trump is the anti-christ, though. He is certainly breaking government institutions to shape them to his authoritarian will, from the post office to the DHS to the CDC. 

Those defending him must undermine existing civil norms, ethical standards, the military's code of honor, and science protocols to do so.

From the top office in the land, as a role model for youth, he rewards bad, dishonest people and punishes good, honest ones.

Devil's work for sure if he can keep Trump in office by convincing Americans he will "protect the unborn."
Reply/Quote