Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag Window Open - Bates Tagged
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-possible-franchise-tag-players-for-every-team-as-window-opens-to-retain-key-players/

The tag window starts today, ending on March 8.

It's widely believed that out of all the candidates, Bates is the most likely to receive the tag for the Bengals.
However, it would mean the Bengals paying a safety way more than they've ever paid before.
Safety tag is $13.5 mill.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on over the coming two weeks.

EDIT - Bates tagged today - $13.5 mill
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ll be really surprised if this doesn’t happen. I don’t think they are ready to give him a mega deal that makes him one of the top paid safeties, but I also don’t think they want to lose him. It probably makes the most sense to use the tag. Make him show one more elite year before breaking the bank.

Reply/Quote
I honestly don't think they are gonna tag Bates...
Reply/Quote
I think the $13 mil tag is a good deal. Bates will probably average closer to $15 mil on the open market. No reason not to tag him. Then see how negotiations go.
Reply/Quote
I’m not gonna lie, I wouldn’t give a shit if the bengals didn’t re-sign or even tag Bates

Too many holes on this roster that need serious money put into it

and it really seems like people are more fans of Bates than the Bengals, which is hilarious to me
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m not gonna lie, I wouldn’t give a shit if the bengals didn’t re-sign or even tag Bates

and it really seems like people are more fans of Bates than the Bengals, which is hilarious to me

I like Bates a lot, and I'd be ok with tagging him/re-signing him. With that said, I'd understand allowing him to walk, as long as that money saved goes toward OL upgrade(s).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m not gonna lie, I wouldn’t give a shit if the bengals didn’t re-sign or even tag Bates

Based on what? They used him during the big jersey reveal, and made him a captain. I think the team is plenty high on him.

Reply/Quote
If Bates gets tagged this year, will he struggle again on the field because he hasn't accepted his compensation in his mind?
Even though he was good in the playoffs, his regular season play wasn't that great, so even the $12.9 million/year seems high.  I like Bates too, but the up and down play gives me pause.  

Having the extra money for the OL just seems to be the way to go while we have 2 cheap receivers and a cheap QB.  Can Carman, Prince and Adeniji be counted on to become eventual starters?  Probably not with Prince and Adeniji.  It's doubtful even with Carman as well due to his back problems already limiting his play.  I mean, how good could this team be without Bates, but with a good/great OL?  I'd like to see, but only if we don't have to overpay to find out.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like Bates a lot, and I'd be ok with tagging him/re-signing him. With that said, I'd understand allowing him to walk, as long as that money saved goes toward OL upgrade(s).

Not only OL upgrades, but improving depth in other areas
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Not only OL upgrades, but improving depth in other areas

I mean, you're probably not doing multiple OL upgrades AND improving depth with just $13 mill.
But yes, the Bengals have to worry about a handful of starting positions plus upgrading depth as insurance (see Bengals OL 2021 lol)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Based on what? They used him during the big jersey reveal, and made him a captain. I think the team is plenty high on him.

Because he was an elite player for the bengals before this season. That’s the kind of guy you use to help promote/market the team

this season he absolutely phoned it in. Thankfully he felt motivated enough to bounce back to his old form during the playoffs
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:52 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If Bates gets tagged this year, will he struggle again on the field because he hasn't accepted his compensation in his mind?
Even though he was good in the playoffs, his regular season play wasn't that great, so even the $12.9 million/year seems high.  I like Bates too, but the up and down play gives me pause.  

Having the extra money for the OL just seems to be the way to go while we have 2 cheap receivers and a cheap QB.  Can Carman, Prince and Adeniji be counted on to become eventual starters?  Probably not with Prince and Adeniji.  It's doubtful even with Carman as well due to his back problems already limiting his play.  I mean, how good could this team be without Bates, but with a good/great OL?  I'd like to see, but only if we don't have to overpay to find out.

If the back problems are going to be potentially a recurring thing, it's truly best not to expect him to ever be counted on as a reliable starter down the road.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We already need a CB2, adding a starting FS would be a huge hole to fill.

Reply/Quote
One thing about Bates is that we currently have Bell working for peanuts and he's in a contract year. Bell might get upset if we pay the 2nd best Safety on the team twice what he's getting paid.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We already need a CB2, adding a starting FS would be a huge hole to fill.

I’m sorry but I think Eli Apple is a fine cb2, and he improved a ton this year compared to his previous years

I just don’t like him or his twitter antics
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m sorry but I think Eli Apple is a fine cb2, and he improved a ton this year compared to his previous years

I like Apple too, but he's not under contract 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the back problems are going to be potentially a recurring thing, it's truly best not to expect him to ever be counted on as a reliable starter down the road.

I'm not sure why they even drafted him in the 2nd round.  They should've called Tyler Eifert and asked him his opinion.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 02:01 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm not sure why they even drafted him in the 2nd round.  They should've called Tyler Eifert and asked him his opinion.

His problem from back just before he was drafted was that he had surgery on a herniated disk and was recovering.
Bengals probably felt that this was something that wouldn't cause him to have recurring back problems.
I know he had a back injury during this past season that was deemed "not serious," so it's worth keeping an eye on but hopefully not something that becomes a trend.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m sorry but I think Eli Apple is a fine cb2, and he improved a ton this year compared to his previous years

I’d like Apple much better in a backup role. People talk about Bates only having one good year, but the same is true for Apple. And that’s out of a much larger sample size. Plus it was more like a good half season. He struggled early on.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 02:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d like Apple much better in a backup role. People talk about Bates only having one good year, but the same is true for Apple. And that’s out of a much larger sample size. Plus it was more like a good half season. He struggled early on.

Re-sign Apple and draft a CB in Rd 1 or 2. They can compete for the starting spot. The other backs up.
Likely both will end up getting plenty of playing time during the season since there are always CB injuries.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote