Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag Window Open - Bates Tagged
(03-07-2022, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Updating this since the tag deadline is TOMORROW 3/8 AT 4:00 PM EST

Here is a continually updated list of players tagged.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2022/2022/3/7/22965483/2022-nfl-franchise-tags-tracking-the-decisions-ahead-of-march-8-deadline-davante-adams

Pretty short list, so far.  I'm still holding out hope that Bates and the Bengals can reach an agreement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Kind of odd the Browns tagged Njoku.

Amazingly short list. I think it's because of lack of cap space. Like Armstead would totally be tagged by the Saints most years, but they have no cap space.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 03:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Kind of odd the Browns tagged Njoku.

Amazingly short list. I think it's because of lack of cap space. Like Armstead would totally be tagged by the Saints most years, but they have no cap space.
Well they're expected to release Hooper and trade or  release Landry. So they would have zero weapons if Njoku leaves in free agency. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 03:23 PM)J24 Wrote: Well they're expected to release Hooper and trade or  release Landry. So they would have zero weapons if Njoku leaves in free agency. 

If they do that, I honestly don't see how the Browns are going to be better. Mayfield needs weapons to succeed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they do that, I honestly don't see how the Browns are going to be better. Mayfield needs weapons to succeed.

Presumably by spending that money on different players. It is a pretty huge FA year for WRs and they save something like $15m by releasing or trading Landry.

Not that it matters because Mayfield will drag down that team. Was happy as hell to hear they plan on keeping him as their starter.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 12:08 AM)J24 Wrote: That was 6 years ago things have changed since then. Comparing  salaries from then to now is just plain silly. 

Bates and Bell are the best safety  tandem bin the league  their is zero reason to break them up. I think  both should  get major extensions this season.

There is absolutely a reason to break them up - if Bate's is asking for too much money. Dude underperformed during the regular season and expects a fat contract to just be handed to him. You should have played better, my man. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Reality is Bates is right there with both Adams and Baker in terms of production.
Bates is a better coverage safety than both Adams and Baker, putting up more PDs and INTs than either guy the past 4 years.
Adams and Baker actually attack the LOS more though, so they get more tackles, sacks, and TFLs.
Bates could probably make an argument that he would too if he were used like that.

Baker signed a 4-year, $59 mill deal. $14.75 mill APY
Adams signed a 4-year, $70 mill deal. $17.5 mill APY

At the end of the day, I see Bates being justifiably in the $15-17 mill range.
So it's probably in the Bengals' best interest to tag him this year ($12.9 mill) to save a bit of $$.

This. But a lot of fans dont understand this. 

I am 100% in the Bengals corner regarding this and how they've approached the Bate's contract. Do not OVER PAY. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There is absolutely a reason to break them up - if Bate's is asking for too much money. Dude underperformed during the regular season and expects a fat contract to just be handed to him. You should have played better, my man. 
Bates was easily our best player on defense during the playoffs, is just about to hit his prime, been remarkably durable during his career, already has had an All pro caliber season under his belt, and he was a team Captain and his beloved by all his teammates.

Not signing him would be dumb.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Presumably by spending that money on different players. It is a pretty huge FA year for WRs and they save something like $15m by releasing or trading Landry.

Not that it matters because Mayfield will drag down that team. Was happy as hell to hear they plan on keeping him as their starter.

Browns only have $18.5 mill in cap space right now including Njoku's tag.
Moving on from Hooper would only free up $2 mill.
Landry does free up nearly $15 mill, but I'm not sure what FA WR they'd get to snag in his place.
They could let Hunt go too and free up another $6.25 mill if they really needed it.

I don't see a great WR FA class aside from Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, and maybe Mike Williams?
Godwin is getting tagged, so he's out.
Amari Cooper I did hear might get released. I'd add him to the list if he does get let go.

I guess they could get enough good weapons if they spend on one big WR and then maybe draft another WR/TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:40 PM)J24 Wrote: Bates was easily our best player on defense during the playoffs, is just about to hit his prime, been remarkably durable during his career, already has had an All pro caliber season under his belt, and he was a team Captain and his beloved by all his teammates.

What if he is asking for 25 million a year? Would not signing him be dumb then? 

It's all about his performance within the context of how much money he is asking for. Would I give him 15-16 million a year and feel good about it? Sure. Anything more than that? Not sure. 

And I'm sorry, but having a good couple of games in the playoffs doesn't just completely make up for your below average season. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:40 PM)J24 Wrote: Bates was easily our best player on defense during the playoffs, is just about to hit his prime, been remarkably durable during his career, already has had an All pro caliber season under his belt, and he was a team Captain and his beloved by all his teammates.

He still doesn’t deserve highest paid safety money. He was absolutely silent in the regular season. He made plays in the post season, yes, but need to have consistency to be the highest paid safety in the league. It also doesn’t help that he openly complained about it multiple times throughout the season. If signing him to huge money means sacrificing quality linemen, and am definitely not doing that. QUALITY LINE > Jessie Bates
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Browns only have $18.5 mill in cap space right now including Njoku's tag.
Landry does free up nearly $15 mill, but I'm not sure what FA WR they'd get to snag in his place.
They could let Hunt go too and free up another $6.25 mill if they really needed it.

I don't see a great WR FA class aside from Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, and maybe Mike Williams?
Amari Cooper I did hear might get released. I'd add him to the list if he does get let go.

I guess they could get enough good weapons if they spend on one big WR and then maybe draft another WR/TE.

Hooper frees 9 I think post June 1st.
Reply/Quote

Can you really call it dumb without knowing what he wants?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Can you really call it dumb without knowing what he wants?

This...everything is about value. Even Patrick Mahomes could theoretically price himself out of being a valuable, and therefor intelligent, signing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What if he is asking for 25 million a year? Would not signing him be dumb then? 

It's all about his performance within the context of how much money he is asking for. Would I give him 15-16 million a year and feel good about it? Sure. Anything more than that? Not sure. 

And I'm sorry, but having a good couple of games in the playoffs doesn't just completely make up for your below average season. 
He probably isn't  asking for 25 million. I would  pay him between  15 and 18 Million dollars. 
Also he was a 2nd team  all pro in 2020 and a top 10 safety  as a rookie. He has shown elite  ability  his entire career.
(03-07-2022, 04:55 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He still doesn’t deserve highest paid safety money. He was absolutely silent in the regular season. He made plays in the post season, yes, but need to have consistency to be the highest paid safety in the league. It also doesn’t help that he openly complained about it multiple times throughout the season. If signing him to huge money means sacrificing quality linemen, and am definitely not doing that. QUALITY LINE > Jessie Bates

He never bitched out management and he handeld himself  like a true pro. 
As far as consistency goes he was top ten Safety  as a rookie,  he was a top 12 safety in the second half of 2019, and he was an 2nd team all pro in 2020.  I'm confident that the regular season was an outlier for him.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Can you really call it dumb without knowing what he wants?

Yes. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:20 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes. 

Well, that's dumb. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1500929413206134787?s=21
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, that's dumb. 

You honestly think Bates representatives would be the unreasonable ones in this scenario? The premise  is a dumb question. The likelihood of him asking for an elite Edge or CB money is less than  zero. His representative knows what he is doing in all likelihood.  
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Browns only have $18.5 mill in cap space right now including Njoku's tag.

Davante Adams, Mike Williams, Allen Robinson, Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup (if he recovers well), Chris Godwin (if he doesn't get tagged) can all be #1s or quasi-#1s.

Christian Kirk and DJ Chalk are both young guys with upside who will either be great #2s or potentially grow into #1s.

Cedrick Wilson, AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, or Russell Gage would be good #2 guys.

I'm not sure if Sammy Watkins is done or if Baltimore's QBing was just that terrible last year but he and Marquez Valdes-Scantling are great #3 types.

- - - - - -

Then of course you have your talented-but-problematic guys like Antonio Brown, OBJ, and Juju who can all theoretically be big time players for another team if it doesn't backfire spectacularly. (Not that I would touch any of the 3, but the talent is undeniably there.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote