Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag Window Open - Bates Tagged
Bates has been tagged: https://www.nfl.com/news/jessie-bates-bengals-place-franchise-tag-on-safety
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bates has been tagged: https://www.nfl.com/news/jessie-bates-bengals-place-franchise-tag-on-safety

First piece of FA is checked.
$13.5 mill according to the link.
Adjust cap accordingly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Like anyone who followed along knew would happen. Now we keep working on the deal but we have time.
Reply/Quote
Seems like the wise thing to do. Gives us leverage in negotiations, as most players hate playing on the tag and prefer long term security. We also have a small window before some of our stars get massive paydays.

Ball is in Bates' court now. We'll see how he reacts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:19 PM)J24 Wrote: He probably isn't  asking for 25 million. I would  pay him between  15 and 18 Million dollars. 
Also he was a 2nd team  all pro in 2020 and a top 10 safety  as a rookie. He has shown elite  ability  his entire career.

He never bitched out management and he handeld himself  like a true pro. 
As far as consistency goes he was top ten Safety  as a rookie,  he was a top 12 safety in the second half of 2019, and he was an 2nd team all pro in 2020.  I'm confident that the regular season was an outlier for him.

He literally commented several times on the contract throughout the season. You had several players also comment, which on the surface is a really nice gesture, but when you think about it, he has to be talking about it often to have other teammates comment on it. (Think of a kid asking their friend to ask their own parent if they can spend the night). He also commented on how he didn’t play well and was distracted the first half of the year.

He was that in 2020, but not in 2021. He allowed the contract to distract him. I love Bates but he’s not worth breaking the bank for. He definitely doesn’t deserve to be highest paid safety in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 07:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Seems like the wise thing to do. Gives us leverage in negotiations, as most players hate playing on the tag and prefer long term security. We also have a small window before some of our stars get massive paydays.

Ball is in Bates' court now. We'll see how he reacts.

Based on how he was during the season? Probably not good...
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 08:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: Based on how he was during the season? Probably not good...

He gave up 80% completion when targeted last season and he has never been a good tackler in any of his seasons.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 05:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: First piece of FA is checked.
$13.5 mill according to the link.
Adjust cap accordingly.

Cool, hope we can get an extension for him before the season that keeps him and all of us happy. Jessie played great in the Playoffs.

Hope we extend him and he plays like that all the time.

Get the O-line fortified.
Reply/Quote
I just saw that the NFL has set the franchise tag salary for 2022 and Bates should make $12,911,000.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 08:37 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I just saw that the NFL has set the franchise tag salary for 2022 and Bates should make $12,911,000.

They also set the cap at $208 Mil. Folks are Sirius think that's still low and a lot of players will take the 1 year deal waiting for the next "big" jump. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They also set the cap at $208 Mil. Folks are Sirius think that's still low and a lot of players will take the 1 year deal waiting for the next "big" jump. 

Contracts are set to explode over the next few years. Its suppose to hit 300+ mil in cap in like 3 or 4 years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 09:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Contracts are set to explode over the next few years. Its suppose to hit 300+ mil in cap in like 3 or 4 years.

Joey B about to make more than the whole GDP of the Greater Cincinnati area.
Reply/Quote
Bengals tweet about Bates:

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 09:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Contracts are set to explode over the next few years. Its suppose to hit 300+ mil in cap in like 3 or 4 years.

How does this impact the way the Bengals spend? Will they be bringing in more money due to TV deals and shared revenue? 

I just have a hard time seeing this organization spend 300 million on players when they barely spend up to the cap now, unless they are bringing more money in somehow? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 08:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: Based on how he was during the season? Probably not good...

I get not being happy with your contract situation, but I didn't like that he spoke about it during the season and said it affected his play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How does this impact the way the Bengals spend? Will they be bringing in more money due to TV deals and shared revenue? 

I just have a hard time seeing this organization spend 300 million on players when they barely spend up to the cap now, unless they are bringing more money in somehow? 

Well, technically they do have to spend up to 90% of the cap over a certain amount of years?

89%-90% (I got conflicting info)of the salary cap over a 4 year period. This would mean on average spending $270m.
Reply/Quote
Franchising Bates lets the Bengals hit Free-Agency with more cash in hand... perhaps for 2 O-lineman.

Once we know who we are bringing in... we can work on the Bates deal.

Personally how I believe they are looking at it.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:32 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Franchising Bates lets the Bengals hit Free-Agency with more cash in hand... perhaps for 2 O-lineman.

How does tagging him give the Bengals more cash in hand?
A multi-year deal is more flexible with how it affects the cap year to year.
Tag requires full cap of $13.5 mill, fully guaranteed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:32 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Franchising Bates lets the Bengals hit Free-Agency with more cash in hand... perhaps for 2 O-lineman.

It actually doesn’t. They could have spread that money out more on a long term deal.

Anyway, I was curious how long it’s been since we re-signed a tagged player, and apparently you have to go all the way back to Rudi Johnson.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It actually doesn’t. They could have spread that money out more on a long term deal.

Anyway, I was curious how long it’s been since we re-signed a tagged player, and apparently you have to go all the way back to Rudi Johnson.

I think "in the same year" is carrying that statement in the tweet. 

Bengals tagged Nugent in 2012, he played on the tag, and then signed a 2 year deal in March of 2013.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote