Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Take the freaking points
(10-10-2022, 11:57 AM)Nepa Wrote: No necessarily, not even in hindsight. The Ravens moved the ball at will the last two drives, including a 91-yard drive where I think they could easily have gotten the first down and probably the TD. On the last drive, they still had three time outs and moved through the defense like a knife through butter. They didn't even need 4 downs. They had only 1 third down the entire last drive and that was 3rd and 2.

True....you never know how the game plays out if we kick there. Just going off the final score if things played out on a similar trajectory. Defense had played well all night, until the last two drives.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: and it could allow for Zac to focus on situational football, adapt in real time, consider the voices of all his coaches and staff, etc, etc. It opens up more opportunity for Zac to do other things as a head coach if his OC is running that show.

Absolutely.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: and it could allow for Zac to focus on situational football, adapt in real time, consider the voices of all his coaches and staff, etc, etc. It opens up more opportunity for Zac to do other things as a head coach if his OC is running that show.

Exactly

Start considering way ahead of time if you're gonna run a fake punt? When you're going to use your timeouts? when to put in a trick play? And on and on.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:36 PM)Garrus Wrote: Our execution all year has been bad to say the least. Now is this a practice issue? New players (Collins) just not being up to speed yet? I'm not sure but a lot of the issues are self-inflicted.

Oh there's no doubt there's been lots of other factors besides Zac's inability to call a good game as OC. It's just that, to say the least, his game plan/play calling isn't helping at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:14 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree.   I want to see what Callahan can do solo so we know what we have in him.

Zac has put a good team together and created a culture players want to come to Cincinnati for.  He has a value.  But whatever the cause is the play calling has been terrible and needs fixed.   This is a way of at least finding out the exact source of the problem and determining if the solution is in the house.

I agree
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:18 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Smart Coaches learn from their Mistakes...  We dont have one

True. But I’m 100% optimistic about the future of this franchise. I know a lot of yall aren’t (understandably so), but winning is a powerful drug. I just don’t see the movers and shakers not wanting to get back to last year, even if it means an overhaul (hopefully involving Zac Taylor).

Only thing is that Burrow’s comment about the Ravens shutting down the offense. At first, I thought everyone was just off. But now I’m thinking there were just, no adjustments since last year. The pieces are there, though, even though the OL is underperforming. They’ll gel more as the season goes on though. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:06 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Until Zac gave the other team momentum because we came away from their 2 yard line with zero points.  

Terrible. Better days ahead, my friend.
Reply/Quote
Maybe they should just trade Mcpherson. If game context of having a defense that doesn't give up second half touchdowns paired with an offense that can't buy 2 consistent yards for a billion dollars doesn't matter, hell they may as well just trade him. If all that they care about is plugging scores and time left into an algorithm that's based on metadata, why not? Just go for it on every 4th down and go for 2 after every TD. Maybe they could get a backup pass rusher for him.  Maybe they could carry two punters and cross train Crisman to hit extra points for the rare occasions when our robot overlords tell us not to convert our 401ks into dogecoin and go for broke. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 08:43 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: True. But I’m 100% optimistic about the future of this franchise. I know a lot of yall aren’t (understandably so), but winning is a powerful drug. I just don’t see the movers and shakers not wanting to get back to last year, even if it means an overhaul (hopefully involving Zac Taylor).

Only thing is that Burrow’s comment about the Ravens shutting down the offense. At first, I thought everyone was just off. But now I’m thinking there were just, no adjustments since last year. The pieces are there, though, even though the OL is underperforming. They’ll gel more as the season goes on though. 

Maybe we score if he doesn't throw into triple coverage with 2-3 other Bengals standing there waiting on the ball. Mellow

Quit acting like he's the second coming, he's got quite a bit of skins in this slow start.... including a horrible five interception performance to kick the year off. HE lost that game for us. And against REAL Bengals fans' worst nemesis. If I didn't love the guy, that's an unforgivable sin against those ****ers.

Yeah, Zac can improve a lot, but a lot of you folks are glossing over the fact that our quarterback has had some really shitty games this year that are on no one but him, and he's made some really shitty decisions in other games.  A terrible interception and several batted balls just this past game. 

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 12:42 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Maybe we score if he doesn't throw into triple coverage with 2-3 other Bengals standing there waiting on the ball. Mellow

Quit acting like he's the second coming, he's got quite a bit of skins in this slow start.... including a horrible five interception performance to kick the year off. HE lost that game for us. And against REAL Bengals fans' worst nemesis. If I didn't love the guy, that's an unforgivable sin against those ****ers.

Yeah, Zac can improve a lot, but a lot of you folks are glossing over the fact that our quarterback has had some really shitty games this year that are on no one but him, and he's made some really shitty decisions in other games.  A terrible interception and several batted balls just this past game. 

Let’s not make it any worse than it was. LOL

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 12:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *4

Let’s not make it any worse than it was. LOL

You're correct, the fifth turnover was a fumble.....lol. My mistake. And to be fair, his line did him no favors.....but that pick six was pathetic. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:56 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I've been saying since last year, dude is a "Bungle" -- people jump down my throat every time I say that. 

Yeah, yeah, I know... Super Bowl. The team has been upgraded and has regressed. 

Much of that, if not most of that, falls on the coaching. Maybe the dude got lazy. It happens. 

There was no reason to go for it. It's blown up in team's faces so many times at every level. Especially when the defense is playing so well, you knew this was going to come down to the wire. 

Not to mention the playcalling is total BS. What the hell was that reverse trick play. So unnecessary. That's the kind of thing you pull midfield when you need a spark. 

So, freaking, pissed right now. 

I have wondered at points this season if Zac has let the superbowl appearance go to his head. Like we are just a better team and or he has over confidence in his coaching/playcalling. We are going for it a lot more on 4th down and at times I don't think it's needed. In my opinion we haven't been that creative with Chase and we just expect to get the ball in his hands and let him do the rest. Struggling to figure out when we should run or pass in the red zone isn't helping us either.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: True....you never know how the game plays out if we kick there. Just going off the final score if things played out on a similar trajectory. Defense had played well all night, until the last two drives.

Maybe a TD does change the game. But Baltimore needed to prove they could stop the run to me. If I'm coaching there I'm running it on 1st and 2nd before I even think about passing especially with Tee already out of the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2022, 08:43 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: True. But I’m 100% optimistic about the future of this franchise. I know a lot of yall aren’t (understandably so), but winning is a powerful drug. I just don’t see the movers and shakers not wanting to get back to last year, even if it means an overhaul (hopefully involving Zac Taylor).

Why hopefully involving Zac?  He doesnt seem to be able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 07:07 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I have wondered at points this season if Zac has let the superbowl appearance go to his head. Like we are just a better team and or he has over confidence in his coaching/playcalling. We are going for it a lot more on 4th down and at times I don't think it's needed. In my opinion we haven't been that creative with Chase and we just expect to get the ball in his hands and let him do the rest. Struggling to figure out when we should run or pass in the red zone isn't helping us either.

We went for it on 4th down all the time last year. Zac even said last year that's part of who they are. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We went for it on 4th down all the time last year. Zac even said last year that's part of who they are. 

True. But I'm remembering a lot of times we relied on McPherson. Specifically the Greenbay and 49ers games where we just appeared to settle for a field goal.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 07:11 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Maybe a TD does change the game. But Baltimore needed to prove they could stop the run to me. If I'm coaching there I'm running it on 1st and 2nd before I even think about passing especially with Tee already out of the game.

I agree. The run game got a bit of a slow start, but once it got going, I would have ridden it until the wheels fell off. That's the best Mixon has looked all year. I wasn't against the shovel pass on 4th down, but I didn't like the three plays leading up to it all. Pound Mixon. If he doesn't get in, then maybe you run the shovel. That series was a good example of some questionable playcalls for sure.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 09:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree. The run game got a bit of a slow start, but once it got going, I would have ridden it until the wheels fell off. That's the best Mixon has looked all year. I wasn't against the shovel pass on 4th down, but I didn't like the three plays leading up to it all. Pound Mixon. If he doesn't get in, then maybe you run the shovel. That series was a good example of some questionable playcalls for sure.

Joe good berry mentioned that Morgan said after the game he wasn't familiar with the shovel pass because he hasn't practiced it. Which certainly makes it seem worse. Also if you run it a couple times first that trick play may work. Also just thinking of it now but I wouldn't hate some direct snaps to Mixon get more blocking in there.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 10:37 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Joe good berry mentioned that Morgan said after the game he wasn't familiar with the shovel pass because he hasn't practiced it. Which certainly makes it seem worse. Also if you run it a couple times first that trick play may work. Also just thinking of it now but I wouldn't hate some direct snaps to Mixon get more blocking in there.

And that’s just downright inexcusable. To call a guy’s number and run a play that he hasn’t even practiced? In that situation? Insanity. :gah:

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2022, 10:37 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Joe good berry mentioned that Morgan said after the game he wasn't familiar with the shovel pass because he hasn't practiced it. Which certainly makes it seem worse. Also if you run it a couple times first that trick play may work. Also just thinking of it now but I wouldn't hate some direct snaps to Mixon get more blocking in there.

Wow. No bueno. 

Yes, you and I both agree, pound it, doesn't work, try a gadget. I also like the direct snap idea....even better gadget.

(10-12-2022, 10:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And that’s just downright inexcusable. To call a guy’s number and run a play that he hasn’t even practiced? In that situation? Insanity. :gah:

Agreed. That's some shit right there.

Reply/Quote