Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tart visiting
(03-15-2024, 12:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: I have a feeling that even if they sign Tart and Becton we will still be taking OL/DL in Rds 1 and 2. Probably OT Rd 1 and DT Rd 2 to double down on both.

Agreed.  As another mentioned you could deal up in the 2nd and try to land Sweat.  Their own 3rd (190 pts) and 2nd (410) add up to SF's 1st (600 pts). You'd get a 5th year option too.  That or you just draft BPA (likely OT in the 1st) and get a NT to groom later.  
Reply/Quote
Y'all like Tart? That's a relief cuz I don't know much about him. I kinda trust who Lou brings into the fold, tho. He makes some mistakes (*cough* Nick Scott *cough*) but it seems like he's right far more often than not. I think we have a good DL room too so they'll hold him accountable if maturity's an issue (as I've read in some places... you never know how seriously to take those claims). I hope we get him.
Reply/Quote
I'd feel comfortable signing Tart and then drafting a NT within the first couple of rounds to develop/rotate and give Tart some competition.

To me, it feels like the front office is going in the direction of having four quality bodies on the DL to rotate rather than one elite guy (Reader) and another good one (BJ Hill). After that the DL fell of a cliff last year.

I think Tart, BJ Hill, Rankins, and then a high NT draft pick would be a pretty solid rotation.

Then you have Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, and some other depth pieces and I think the DL looks pretty good. I'm so interested to see if Murphy takes a step this year. It'd be HUGE for this defense if he did.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:54 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd feel comfortable signing Tart and then drafting a NT within the first couple of rounds to develop/rotate and give Tart some competition.

To me, it feels like the front office is going in the direction of having  four quality bodies on the DL to rotate rather than one elite guy (Reader) and another good one (BJ Hill). After that the DL fell of a cliff last year.

I think Tart, BJ Hill, Rankins, and then a high NT draft pick would be a pretty solid rotation.

Then you have Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, and some other depth pieces and I think the DL looks pretty good. I'm so interested to see if Murphy takes a step this year. It'd be HUGE for this defense if he did.

Do we still have our Other DTs from last year not named reader?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:54 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd feel comfortable signing Tart and then drafting a NT within the first couple of rounds to develop/rotate and give Tart some competition.

To me, it feels like the front office is going in the direction of having  four quality bodies on the DL to rotate rather than one elite guy (Reader) and another good one (BJ Hill). After that the DL fell of a cliff last year.

This was also my view, although depending on what Tart signs for (both years and amount), they might consider Tart to be their plan for NT for the next few years and just want to get a guy in the draft to back him up and may take a couple years to groom.
Tart's best season was 2022 with TEN where he had 26 total pressure (inc. 1.5 sacks) and 34 combined tackles  (5 TFL) on just over 500 snaps. PFF rated him a 73 in 2022, which is pretty solid.
Tart also just turned 27 years old, so he has a few good years left, at least.
A 3-year contract would put him still under 30 years old by the time that final season ended.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Do we still have our Other DTs from last year not named reader?

Absolutely. It's the reason there's a draft and it's step-up time for some of these guys. Have to go from 20-25 rep guys to closer to 40-50 reps. Hopefully, and I'd bet they are, they're busting their humps in the weight room and watching film.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:19 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Absolutely. It's the reason there's a draft and it's step-up time for some of these guys. Have to go from 20-25 rep guys to closer to 40-50 reps. Hopefully, and I'd bet they are, they're busting their humps in the weight room and watching film.

Josh Tupou's contract expired, he's no longer on the team.  From last year's roster BJ Hill, Carter and Tufele are still with the team, they have added Sheldon Rankins so far.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Josh Tupou's contract expired, he's no longer on the team.  From last year's roster BJ Hill, Carter and Tufele are still with the team, they have added Sheldon Rankins so far.

ahh Yeah i thought one had expired...  TY
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:52 AM)tms Wrote: Y'all like Tart? That's a relief cuz I don't know much about him. I kinda trust who Lou brings into the fold, tho. He makes some mistakes (*cough* Nick Scott *cough*) but it seems like he's right far more often than not. I think we have a good DL room too so they'll hold him accountable if maturity's an issue (as I've read in some places... you never know how seriously to take those claims). I hope we get him.

Tart is not bad at all. And the way they are building he will be next to Rankins/Hill and no doubt we will be drafting another NT to rotate with Tart. They seen to be rebuilding the IDL rotation so we keep our guys fresher later in games. I'm not sure Tupou comes back and they seem not to be sold on Carter - Tufele has played well in limited bursts. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Do we still have our Other DTs from last year not named reader?

BJ Hill, Jay Tufele, Zach Carter are on the roster. Josh Tupuo (who was Readers sub) is a FA currently. I can't see both Tufele and Carter both on the roster this year with the Rankins signing. 

So you bring in Tart to replace Reader and then draft a NT to sub with Tart decently high in the draft. 

Then you have BJ Hill and Rankins rotating (which is a stronger rotation than last year). 
Reply/Quote
I think we are asking a lot of the 6-2 / 302 pound Tart to replace Reader.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This was also my view, although depending on what Tart signs for (both years and amount), they might consider Tart to be their plan for NT for the next few years and just want to get a guy in the draft to back him up and may take a couple years to groom.
Tart's best season was 2022 with TEN where he had 26 total pressure (inc. 1.5 sacks) and 34 combined tackles  (5 TFL) on just over 500 snaps. PFF rated him a 73 in 2022, which is pretty solid.
Tart also just turned 27 years old, so he has a few good years left, at least.
A 3-year contract would put him still under 30 years old by the time that final season ended.

Id do a two year contract for Tart and then draft a DT within the first two rounds at least. With Tupuo not signed, we literally have no NT on the roster right now. We need the depth regardless. The NT we draft this year will rotate and play (granted we don't bring in another guy with Tart). 

Just what I would do. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:35 AM)Joelist Wrote: Tart is not bad at all. And the way they are building he will be next to Rankins/Hill and no doubt we will be drafting another NT to rotate with Tart. They seen to be rebuilding the IDL rotation so we keep our guys fresher later in games. I'm not sure Tupou comes back and they seem not to be sold on Carter - Tufele has played well in limited bursts. 

The big question is this: 

Is Rankins, Tart, BJ Hill, plus a decently high draft pick (this years room)

a stronger rotation than

Reader, BJ Hill, Josh Tupuo, and Zach Carter (last years room) 

I'd be willing to bet it's close. The rotation at DT (Hill, Rankins) is def stronger. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: BJ Hill, Jay Tufele, Zach Carter are on the roster. Josh Tupuo (who was Readers sub) is a FA currently. I can't see both Tufele and Carter both on the roster this year with the Rankins signing. 

So you bring in Tart to replace Reader and then draft a NT to sub with Tart decently high in the draft. 

Then you have BJ Hill and Rankins rotating (which is a stronger rotation than last year). 

Getting a Nose Tackle in the draft is doable, but there are fairly limited options.

T'Vondre Sweat and McKinnley Jackson are the main two. They are projected to go in the 2nd and 4th round, respectively. There's also Kristian Boyd in the 5th to 6th round range who Brett Kollman is very high on, so he'd be a nice lottery pick in day 3, but I wouldn't rely on much from him.

My concern is that everyone in America would know we'd be targeting Sweat in the 2nd round, so you could easily trade in front of us if you want him too. And then, if we miss Sweat, the same thing could happen with Jackson and Boyd.

We'll have to see what we do in these next few days. I just hope they secure Tart.
Reply/Quote
This one is already stronger due to Reader missing injury time, Carter being a bust and Tupou fading. It resulted in BJ Hill and Reader being in too much (when Reader was healthy). This one has a set 3T rotation of Rankins and Hill and Tart starts the build of the NT rotation. Reader has a higher top end but the fall off when he wasn't in was just unacceptable.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: This one is already stronger due to Reader missing injury time, Carter being a bust and Tupou fading. It resulted in BJ Hill and Reader being in too much (when Reader was healthy). This one has a set 3T rotation of Rankins and Hill and Tart starts the build of the NT rotation. Reader has a higher top end but the fall off when he wasn't in was just unacceptable.

Exactly. The rotation as a whole could be stronger. It already is at 3T.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Id do a two year contract for Tart and then draft a DT within the first two rounds at least. With Tupuo not signed, we literally have no NT on the roster right now. We need the depth regardless. The NT we draft this year will rotate and play (granted we don't bring in another guy with Tart). 

Just what I would do. 

Tufele is a NT, and BJ Hill has played some NT as well.
Neither is your typical "big" NT though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If we're being honest here the Bengals should be considering Trading for Derrick Brown from Carolina. Tee for Brown is an ideal trade for both teams.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:22 AM)J24 Wrote: If we're being honest here the Bengals should be considering Trading for Derrick Brown from Carolina. Tee for Brown is an ideal trade for both teams.

Yep, Ive been thinking same...
other wild card on the DL is the Maxwell FA we signed last yr....
he got injured in camp but as far as I know he is back to compete 
Reply/Quote
Sweet.... Tart! Ninja

Reply/Quote