Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tart visiting
They restructured Mixon last year.  I imagine they'll do more restructuring just to be able to pay Joe and Chase, but they can't wait until the last dog dies to do it right before FA time arrives and hope the market for everyone tanks.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 04:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: THAT'S NEARLY 10 WHOLE POUNDS HEAVIER! WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!
Ninja

(03-15-2024, 06:42 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Yes. Thank you! Just because a guy isn't 330lbs doesn't mean he can't handle NT duties. It's about commanding double teams and filling rushing lanes. There are others not named Reader that got that dog in 'em regardless of physical measureables.

Andrew Billings played himself into a nice little contract extension last year if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes it can be more about "scheme fit" and "fight in the dog" than physical measureables and name recognition.

I had this "discussion" in another thread the other night, but it turned into an exercise of "you don't know football". One of the best goal-line stands we had last year was with Hill and Zac Carter in the middle. Hill has the size and ability to play the A Gap.

IMO the reason you need a huge DT is to keep the interior linemen from taking your LBs out of the play. Our LBs are more side-to-side than vertical. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 04:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's 100% accurate, in my view.

They always seem to be worried about 3+ years from now rather than going all-in and know that 3-5 years from now could be kinda crap if things don't pan out.

The Rams went 5-12 right after winning that Super Bowl and they were expected to have a losing season again last year, but young guys like Nacua and Kyren Williams really emerged quickly to get them hack to double-digit wins.

That's the secret, honestly.
Go all-in to have a good few years but then really nail the draft to cover the potentially expected down years to get back to form quicker than anticipated.

there is multiple ways of skinning a cat, also the Rams are a large market team, even if they suck a couple of years,  the organization can still make money and sell tickets.  The Bengals require more stability and the perception of hope.  they don't kick the can down the road, they don't drown themselves in dead cap, and honestly, they are one of the few organizations that run with some fiscal responsibility.  At least now they are active in free agency and have had success with it.  They have a model for free agency, they bring in guys who they see as a fit in their system, under 30, and fair market value.  Considering all the players they had to replace, what exactly do you feel they have done wrong so far?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I had this "discussion" in another thread the other night, but it turned into an exercise of "you don't know football". One of the best goal-line stands we had last year was with Hill and Zac Carter in the middle. Hill has the size and ability to play the A Gap.

IMO the reason you need a huge DT is to keep the interior linemen from taking your LBs out of the play. Our LBs are more side-to-side than vertical. 

I agree, This defense was entirely built around DJ reader and what he brought to the team.  They need a guy who can eat double teams, stack and shed for run stops and free us up to run nickel.  If we don't get Tart or Trade Tee for someone like Derrick Brown.  The only guy who fits the mold in the draft is Sweat.  Outside of that then Lou will have to redesign his defense. move to more 3-linebackers or dual box safety sets and draft a gap-penetrating DT good enough to draw those same double teams.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 06:00 AM)Okeana Wrote: I agree, This defense was entirely built around DJ reader and what he brought to the team.  They need a guy who can eat double teams, stack and shed for run stops and free us up to run nickel.  If we don't get Tart or Trade Tee for someone like Derrick Brown.  The only guy who fits the mold in the draft is Sweat.  Outside of that then Lou will have to redesign his defense. move to more 3-linebackers or dual box safety sets and draft a gap-penetrating DT good enough to draw those same double teams.

I sorta wonder if the Dax Hill move / Stone signing and the re-addition of Vonn Bell is a sign of Lou changing this defense to more of these dual box safety, single high looks and even with the perceived lack of a true NT / BIG guy in the middle, will run more 3-4 looks this year with the front 7. Hill and Vonn being the outside LBs in those plays? Do we see more ADG this year as a pass rusher / increased role in the defense? You would think so, with what they're paying him this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 06:00 AM)Okeana Wrote: I agree, This defense was entirely built around DJ reader and what he brought to the team.  They need a guy who can eat double teams, stack and shed for run stops and free us up to run nickel.  If we don't get Tart or Trade Tee for someone like Derrick Brown.  The only guy who fits the mold in the draft is Sweat.  Outside of that then Lou will have to redesign his defense. move to more 3-linebackers or dual box safety sets and draft a gap-penetrating DT good enough to draw those same double teams.

(03-16-2024, 09:17 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I sorta wonder if the Dax Hill move / Stone signing and the re-addition of Vonn Bell is a sign of Lou changing this defense to more of these dual box safety, single high looks and even with the perceived lack of a true NT / BIG guy in the middle, will run more 3-4 looks this year with the front 7. Hill and Vonn being the outside LBs in those plays? Do we see more ADG this year as a pass rusher / increased role in the defense? You would think so, with what they're paying him this year.

I'm sure they have a plan. As smart as some on here are when it comes to X's and O's; I'd say Lou is more accomplished. More and more, teams are getting away from traditional lineups and going to hybrids.

If we want a traditional 0 Tech there's still a couple out there to be had. I haven't heard anyone bring up John Jenkins or Jonathan Hankins. Both who could be serviceable in spot duty. 

Reply/Quote
We all remember Billings. And we know good and well he closer to 330 then 311. I ain’t believing the Bears!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: We all remember Billings. And we know good and well he closer to 330 then 311. I ain’t believing the Bears!

Would you believe his official weigh-in at he NFL combine? 

Reply/Quote
Oh I can believe he got down to 311 for the combine….. 7 years or so later.

I’d hold on to my combine weight to. Hell my weight on my DL hasn’t changed in 30 years.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 12:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Oh I can believe he got down to 311 for the combine….. 7 years or so later.

I’d hold on to my combine weight to. Hell my weight on my DL hasn’t changed in 30 years.

Yeah, but you said we "remember him" from his early years. He weighed in 311 at the combine, his Baylor profile from college lists him at 310, his current Bears profile lists him at 311.

Imma go out on a limb and say he is and has been around 311. The thing with Billings is he's strong. He broke Mark Henry's Texas State powerlifting record. 

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 09:17 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I sorta wonder if the Dax Hill move / Stone signing and the re-addition of Vonn Bell is a sign of Lou changing this defense to more of these dual box safety, single high looks and even with the perceived lack of a true NT / BIG guy in the middle, will run more 3-4 looks this year with the front 7. Hill and Vonn being the outside LBs in those plays? Do we see more ADG this year as a pass rusher / increased role in the defense? You would think so, with what they're paying him this year.

BINGO...I have said it since Bell signing....Dax Hill is moving to CB....Bell/Stone/Hill/CTB/Hilton....Wilson/Pratt at LBer....that is going to be our starting backfield I think...Battle/Bell can be used as a LBer/box safety with possibly both on the field at times
Reply/Quote
I like the Bengals approach this FA period. Tart was kicked out of Nashville - that deserves the Bengals spending some time to investigate or meet with him. I'm not sure you replace the guy who facilitated a lot of locker room culture change with someone who put themselves in that position.

- Lots of ways to stop the run or free up pass rushers/LBs.

I think this draft hits the Bengals perfectly for positions they need most: DT & OL, which is GREAT since draft picks are locked up for 4 & 5 years.

- I LOVE the kid, McKinnley Jackson, NT, TX A&M for the Bengals in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has Bengals written all over him. 2X captain. Highly thought of as a teammate. BIG TIME team 1st guy.

^ If they grabbed him in the nd just to make sure they got him I would be fine with it.

There are a LOT of guys who can fit what the Bengals need at DT in this draft. I would be fine if they took 3 DTs. The draft is THAT loaded with really good players there. And I'm fine with them going into the season with younger guys at those spots behind the vets already on the roster. The rookies need to see the field to be able to develop. Not being buried 3 spots deep & on S-teams is hopefully where a new DT (or NT) can find themselves.

- RT, on the other hand, HAS to be addressed. It's kind of gross that that Bengals wound up in this position when they have 9 back there to protect.

Personally, I think LG needs a major upgrade as well. Volson would better serve the roster as a swing G instead of starting LG. Hell, if Volson starts... how bad is his backup?

^ Lap covered this on his podcast & it was brought up that the Pats, with Brady there, really prioritized the interior line over the outside because Brady could keeps his eyes down field & step up in a pocket instead of roll away & find a broken play - so the tackles were less prioritized as far as talent/urgency. I think that's interesting to think about in the discussion of which DTs fit the Bengals idea of how to lay out a defensive scheme as well as how to protect Joe.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure they have a plan. As smart as some on here are when it comes to X's and O's; I'd say Lou is more accomplished. More and more, teams are getting away from traditional lineups and going to hybrids.

If we want a traditional 0 Tech there's still a couple out there to be had. I haven't heard anyone bring up John Jenkins or Jonathan Hankins. Both who could be serviceable in spot duty. 

Ooo weee Hankins? Man that sounds like a painful experience lol

Reply/Quote
I'm sure they are doing their homework on Tart especially in light of how the entire Titan team melted down last season culminating in the firing of Vrabel.
Reply/Quote
Whether it's Tart or someone else, I'm going to feel better about this FA when I can check here and see news we signed help in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:06 PM)Okeana Wrote: Ooo weee Hankins? Man that sounds like a painful experience lol

Who wouldn't love the Hankins/Rankins line?

Reply/Quote
Longer this goes on the more I think Tart aint gonna happen...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Longer this goes on the more I think Tart aint gonna happen...

Problem is we have no idea what is going on. FO is really good at not letting anything leak out so we're operating in the dark. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who wouldn't love the Hankins/Rankins line?

I would if Hankins is healthy, always thought Hankins was a good run stopping DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:23 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Whether it's Tart or someone else, I'm going to feel better about this FA when I can check here and see news we signed help in the trenches.

I agree, we need to have total flexibility in the draft's first 3 rounds. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote