Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tart visiting
(03-16-2024, 02:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: Problem is we have no idea what is going on. FO is really good at not letting anything leak out so we're operating in the dark. 

^^^^ This is true.

I trust they have a plan. A one-dimensional run stopping only DT is not a high paid position. They won't be a DJ Reader, but the combo of Rankins and?? can get it done. There are many ways to improve our defense and the safety room on paper is 10X better than last year's group. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ^^^^ This is true.

I trust they have a plan. A one-dimensional run stopping only DT is not a high paid position. They won't be a DJ Reader, but the combo of Rankins and?? can get it done. There are many ways to improve our defense and the safety room on paper is 10X better than last year's group. 

They're deeper and the Rankins and Hill combo on passing downs is a nice stable. I know they like rotating some of the bigger DEs in at UT at times, but you're a bit better vs the suprise run on those sets with true DTs out there and it may keep those DEs a little more fresh.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:22 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: He’s great against the run and has pass rush ability as well.  Just isn’t reader in terms of size.  Which most humans are not

One thing I'm debating is the Tart highlights.  It seems like he is smart and active when working against one blocker and defending the run properly.  That will get people commenting that is a good run defender.  There is a difference between playing the run well vs one guy and commanding a double team like a Reader would.  Reader may not be Reader, but there are no true forces on the market, and even if we look to trade for one they may be hard to land.  I'm fine with Tart, but I think we have to keep in perspective what type of run defender he is. 
Reply/Quote
We also need a NT that can keep the guard of the lb’s.

Can he do that?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:52 AM)Okeana Wrote: there is multiple ways of skinning a cat, also the Rams are a large market team, even if they suck a couple of years,  the organization can still make money and sell tickets.  The Bengals require more stability and the perception of hope.  they don't kick the can down the road, they don't drown themselves in dead cap, and honestly, they are one of the few organizations that run with some fiscal responsibility.  At least now they are active in free agency and have had success with it.  They have a model for free agency, they bring in guys who they see as a fit in their system, under 30, and fair market value.  Considering all the players they had to replace, what exactly do you feel they have done wrong so far?

Not many options left at RT and it's always risky to force the need to a draft pick, even if it's a 1st rounder and this is a good class.
I'd at least like to have an ok starter-caliber on a 1-year or 2-year contract and draft a RT with high ceiling who could push for that starting gig this year or next.
Also, I want to see some actual NT signed so they aren't also going into the draft basically needing to get T'Vondre Sweat. The NT options outside of Sweat do not give much optimism for above average ability.
If they sign Tart, that helps alleviate the need to a certain extent.

As for what I did like, I liked the additions of Rankins, Stone, Bell, and Gesicki.
The only thing I didn't like about Stone and Bell additions is which of Hill and/or Battle goes to backup?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This is where the Front Office in the Zac era being so leakproof causes anxiety - we literally hear nothing and speculations run wild. This also happened last year and then all of a sudden we had OBJr. So not letting things out seems to be their way.
Reply/Quote
If you are going to let Reader walk you better have a plan.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:03 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: If you are going to let Reader walk you better have a plan.

Same can be said about the o line. If you let Jonah walk they should have a plan there! It is frustrating how this organization seems to not emphasize the line more than what it seems from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:28 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Same can be said about the o line.  If you let Jonah walk they should have a plan there!  It is frustrating how this organization seems to not emphasize the line more than what it seems from the outside.

Something tells me that the Front Office must have felt confident in re-signing at least one of those two, otherwise they would have been more aggressive in the first day of open negotiations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Something tells me that the Front Office must have felt confident in re-signing at least one of those two, otherwise they would have been more aggressive in the first day of open negotiations.
Yeah but you still have to have a backup plan and then get on it and not wait till all the other good ones are gone.Signing a competent RT should have been done on day 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:39 PM)pulses Wrote: Yeah but you still have to have a backup plan and then get on it and not wait till all the other good ones are gone.

My gut says that they had no clue that a team like Detroit would come gunning hard for Reader, coming off of another devastating injury.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My gut says that they had no clue that a team like Detroit would come gunning hard for Reader, coming off of another devastating injury.

Well maybe not but they only guaranteed Reader 9 million....surely we could have topped that?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:44 PM)pulses Wrote: Well maybe not but they only guaranteed Reader 9 million....surely we could have topped that?

I'm sure that they could have, but for whatever reason their intuition told them not to. Either way, it's looking like they were thinking of NT as an afterthought, as the position is still a void, as of now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that they could have, but for whatever reason their intuition told them not to. Either way, it's looking like they were thinking of NT as an afterthought, as the position is still a void, as of now.

They definitely lose track of things sometimes....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: This is where the Front Office in the Zac era being so leakproof causes anxiety - we literally hear nothing and speculations run wild. This also happened last year and then all of a sudden we had OBJr. So not letting things out seems to be their way.

Orlando Brown Jr. agreed to sign with the Bengals on the very first day free agency opened. Cappa and Karras came to agreement with the Bengals on the first day of the legal tampering period. That was a lot less nerve-wracking than after almost a week and no RT to defend Burrow or NT.

A little off topic, but I would add that those RTs still out there all have some flaws. Trent Brown, for example, is talented, but missed a lot of games with injures, sat out a game while healthy to protect his future in free agency, and apparently at one point accused the Patriots front office of running a smear campaign against him. Becton gave up 18 sacks. Not a lot that seems to be out there, and one could justify being concerned that the Bengals strategy may be to either get someone in the draft or wait for someone to be dropped after they draft their replacement. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:05 PM)Nepa Wrote: Orlando Brown Jr. agreed to sign with the Bengals on the very first day free agency opened. Cappa and Karras came to agreement with the Bengals on the first day of the legal tampering period. That was a lot less nerve-wracking than after almost a week and no RT to defend Burrow or NT.

A little off topic, but I would add that those RTs still out there all have some flaws. Trent Brown, for example, is talented, but missed a lot of games with injures, sat out a game while healthy to protect his future in free agency, and apparently at one point accused the Patriots front office of running a smear campaign against him. Becton gave up 18 sacks. Not a lot that seems to be out there, and one could justify being concerned that the Bengals strategy may be to either get someone in the draft or wait for someone to be dropped after they draft their replacement. 
I would like to believe if we offered up 1 of our 3rd rounders we could acquire a pretty good RT or DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:20 PM)pulses Wrote: I would like to believe if we offered up 1 of our 3rd rounders we could acquire a pretty good RT or DT.

Got any specific teams or players in mind?  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:28 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Same can be said about the o line.  If you let Jonah walk they should have a plan there!  It is frustrating how this organization seems to not emphasize the line more than what it seems from the outside.

Reader is a much better player than Jonah. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Got any specific teams or players in mind?  

Carolina,Washington,New England
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 04:30 PM)pulses Wrote: Carolina,Washington,New England

Well, those would appear to be the low hanging fruit for a proposal such as the one you are suggesting.  However, each of those teams are rebuilding, and likely to consider any quality, young player on their roster as cornerstone pieces that they wouldn't consider trading.  Your suggested plan might work on a more middling team that might think that sacrificing a solid starter for draft capital might get them closer to where they want to be, faster.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote