Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tate delivered today.
(11-02-2020, 10:12 AM)Whatever Wrote:
That's a nice try, but Ross only has 17 more targets
for his career.  He also scores a TD every 12.3 targets.  Tate scores every 106 targets.  Any extended play time model favors Ross simply because he scores at a much higher rate.

That abysmal TD catch rate probably gives you the reason he isn't starting more.

Tate is a good #4-5 possession WR.  Great catch radius, great hands, makes some great effort plays to drag defenders and move the chains.  However, he has big holes in his game, too.  

So what your saying is, the slow as dirt Tate has as many yards as our super speedy Ross on 17 less targets?? Thats pretty embarrassing if your Ross. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only hole I see in Tate’s game is lack of speed. John Ross has grand canon size holes in his, including lack of effort, and not being able to consistently catch the football. Which is kind of important for a WR...

His limited route tree and the fact that end zone chalk is kryptonite to him aren't also holes in his game?

If speed is the only hole in his game, why isn't he putting up Anquan Boldin type numbers?

Both guys have big holes in their games and some great strengths. Since they've gotten the red zone offense clicking, I would say Tate has more value as a chain mover than Ross as another TD threat.  Not much reason to shuffle the WR depth chart with the offense humming the way it is.  However, if it starts struggling to score points again, then you have to look at what each guy brings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: His limited route tree and the fact that end zone chalk is kryptonite to him aren't also holes in his game?

If speed is the only hole in his game, why isn't he putting up Anquan Boldin type numbers?

Both guys have big holes in their games and some great strengths. Since they've gotten the red zone offense clicking, I would say Tate has more value as a chain mover than Ross as another TD threat.  Not much reason to shuffle the WR depth chart with the offense humming the way it is.  However, if it starts struggling to score points again, then you have to look at what each guy brings.

Did you see any holes in his game yesterday.....I didnt.
All saw was him.catch the ball with a ridiculous  radius 
And the one catch all but sealed the win on 3rd down.
Tate is making plays...stop your bitching and moaning.
Reply/Quote
Callahan is singing his praises during his press conference right now. Says expect to see a lot more Tate going forward.

What we saw yesterday is what was reported he was doing all training camp. So, the question is why was he relegated to the bench in favor of Thomas most of the season, shoulder injury not withstanding?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:16 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: So what your saying is, the slow as dirt Tate has as many yards as our super speedy Ross on 17 less targets?? Thats pretty embarrassing if your Ross. 

If Tate is so great, then how is that embarrassing for Ross?  If Ross is so terrible, then isn't it embarrassing that a guy who is gushed about so much is just barely better in yardage and a a whole lot worse at scoring?

The biggest embarrassment is an NFL WR with 1 TD on 106 career targets.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Did you see any holes in his game yesterday.....I didnt.
All saw was him.catch the ball with a ridiculous  radius 
And the one catch all but sealed the win on 3rd down.
Tate is making plays...stop your bitching and moaning.

I also saw a pure effort play by him to catch the ball about 4 yards short and dive between two defenders for a first down, on third down. Sorry, you can't convince me Ross would have even attempted that. Those are the little things that keeps Ross out of the line up. Its not the big game breaking TDs, its the fact that he can't even do the little things right. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: If Tate is so great, then how is that embarrassing for Ross?  If Ross is so terrible, then isn't it embarrassing that a guy who is gushed about so much is just barely better in yardage and a a whole lot worse at scoring?

Ones a 7th round draft pick, one is a 1st round draft pick. If you think the 7th rounder is more embarrassing than the first rounder, then you gotta get some glasses there bud. I never said Tate is amazing, but you are sure acting like Ross is. Tate>Ross, live with it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He clearly doesn’t. We won the game and AJ had 19 yds.

???  Tate was a major piece of the game has nothing to do with AJ... they are not the same players especially in salary and besides that is like saying we won with Burrow not throwing over 300 yards.. so that means we don;t have to ever throw over 300 yards.. your logic makes little sense
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ???  Tate was a major piece of the game has nothing to do with AJ... they are not the same players especially in salary and besides that is like saying we won with Burrow not throwing over 300 yards.. so that means we don;t have to ever throw over 300 yards.. your logic makes little sense

I feel like it's going to be depending on how much he wants. He needs to be paid no higher than our third receiver, because that is what he is. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ???  Tate was a major piece of the game has nothing to do with AJ... they are not the same players especially in salary and besides that is like saying we won with Burrow not throwing over 300 yards.. so that means we don;t have to ever throw over 300 yards.. your logic makes little sense

You are the one making no sense. Go back and reread the post of mine you originally quoted. In was a response to someone else’s comments about AJ GREEN. You got confused because of the thread title (I assume), and didn’t read the post very carefully. Move on.

Reply/Quote
Apparently the Bengals embarrassed the Titans secondary so badly they traded for a corner today...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I was a big driver of the "Tate needs more reps" narrative in the offseason. The big thing you get with him is the contested catching ability. When we look at what Baltimore did to us, blitz everyone and leave their guys on an island, you realize Burrow needs an outlet at times to just throw it up and trust that the 50/50 ball is really like and 80/20. I think going forward he needs to be on the field with Higgins and Boyd more as he will get his one on one matchups against 2nd and 3rd corners and we should see more of what we have seen, really solid play.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 03:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: I was a big driver of the "Tate needs more reps" narrative in the offseason. The big thing you get with him is the contested catching ability. When we look at what Baltimore did to us, blitz everyone and leave their guys on an island, you realize Burrow needs an outlet at times to just throw it up and trust that the 50/50 ball is really like and 80/20. I think going forward he needs to be on the field with Higgins and Boyd more as he will get his one on one matchups against 2nd and 3rd corners and we should see more of what we have seen, really solid play.
I dont understand why Tate isnt targeted more inside the 20.
He needs to be catching more balls with his body going north
And south. Hes already shown he can break through tackles.
A 5'9 or even a 6'0 DB is going to.have a hard time bringing 
Him.down.
I guarentee you if Burrow can hit Tate with a slant inside the 10
Its a TD 8 of 10 times.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 03:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I dont understand why Tate isnt targeted more inside the 20.
Him.down.
Its a TD 8 of 10 times.

Seems like the only times we do it’s low percentage fade routes. That’s on Taylor.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 03:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I dont understand why Tate isnt targeted more inside the 20.
Him.down.
Its a TD 8 of 10 times.

Well we don;t know behind the scenes.. maybe he finally is running routes well to get more playing time, maybe Burrow has not thrown his way much when he as been in.. also it is not like we only have a couple WRs.. hard to get the ball to 5 Wrs that seem to be seeing the field.. I do think after today's performance he has earned playing time.. i still like to see him be more of a WR/TE in the passing game
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 04:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well we don;t know behind the scenes.. maybe he finally is running routes well to get more playing time, maybe Burrow has not thrown his way much when he as been in.. also it is not like we only have a couple WRs.. hard to get the ball to 5 Wrs that seem to be seeing the field.. I do think after today's performance he has earned playing time.. i still like to see him be more of a WR/TE in the passing game

We do know some of this from Taylor’s comments yesterday and Callhan’s comments today. Both basically said it was their fault for not getting Tate more involved after reviewing previous game tapes. What we saw yesterday was intentional from the coaching staff and Tate proved them right, in both they were wrong not to use him earlier and they were right to finally do it yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:37 AM)Whatever Wrote: Some scrub WR.

Yuuuuup.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Tate is our first ever HYBRID WR-TE. Nicely embodies both.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who is this Ross you’re speaking of?

Any references of Ross should require an automatic 1 day ban from the boards, and I will endorse it. Ninja 

Such an obscene name in 2020. Hehe
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: If Tate is so great, then how is that embarrassing for Ross?  If Ross is so terrible, then isn't it embarrassing that a guy who is gushed about so much is just barely better in yardage and a a whole lot worse at scoring?

I wonder how much more you're going to hate Tate when/if they ever start using him properly in the redzone. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote