Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tate delivered today.
(11-01-2020, 09:59 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I'm fine with Higgins, Boyd, Tate and the fastest guy they find in the mid-rounds of the 2021 draft being the top 4 guys next year.  If they give AJ a reasonable contract to retire a Bengal, I wouldn't complain, but I won't sweat if he leaves.

AJ isn't going to get the contract he envisioned before the season started.  No way no how.  He's not terrible, but he's lost most of what made him AJ Green when he was in his prime.  He no longer even tries to high-point balls and his diminished speed has removed him as any kind of real deep threat.  He seems to catch with his body more than his hands lately, and he's still tentative about contact.  When Burrow attempts long throws to him, it almost feels like charity.

AJ is the 3rd receiver here on his good days, and he's going to take a similar spot on most teams unless they just have no receiver talent at all.  

Would I pay him 3-5 mil to be used in the slot and be the 3rd option?  Probably if he was open to it.  I'd like to see him retire here.  

With the cap being down and many teams being forced to tighten the belt, staying here may be his best option.  
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dude continues to make big time catches. He’s probably the 3rd best WR on the team at this point.

I will call bull shit on that....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Quick question:  Does AJ Green offer us anything at this point that Tate cannot?

To me they look very similar.  They appear to be about the same speed, they're running very similar routes, and they're about the same height.  Green may be a little quicker, but Tate is bigger and stronger.  

They almost looked like clones to me seeing their routes run, and I had to double-check to see if it's 18 or 19 that came up with the reception.

If we were able to ship off AJ in the next couple days I don't think we'd miss him one bit.  Curious to hear what others think.

I'd try to see if the Pats want to give up a 4th or 5th round pick in next  year's draft for AJ. Considering they didn't have much of a receiver corps to work with at the start of the year, and now with Edelman getting knee surgery and being out a couple weeks at least, and Harry, IIRC getting hurt too (and if he is healthy, still not playing well at all), they may consider giving a 5th rounder for AJ in an attempt to salvage this season. Maybe they still think they would be able to revive A.J into 80% percent of what he was (I know the tape from this year doesn't help at all).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:16 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'd try to see if the Pats want to give up a 4th or 5th round pick in next  year's draft for AJ. Considering they didn't have much of a receiver corps to work with at the start of the year, and now with Edelman getting knee surgery and being out a couple weeks at least, and Harry, IIRC getting hurt too (and if he is healthy, still not playing well at all), they may consider giving a 5th rounder for AJ in an attempt to salvage this season. Maybe they still think they would be able to revive A.J into 80% percent of what he was (I know the tape from this year doesn't help at all).

If I were the Pats, I would rebuild the dynasty

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:16 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I will call bull shit on that....

How do you figure? He’s making plays AJ no longer makes. You seen AJ climb the ladder and make a catch like Tate did today?

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:18 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: If I were the Pats, I would rebuild the dynasty

Sure, so would I. And certainly wouldn't give up a 5th rounder for AJ having seen him this year. But, with Brady looking good in Tampa, there might be some extra pressure to eke out a few wins in Boston this year and a 5th round pick might seem reasonable to give up.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Quick question:  Does AJ Green offer us anything at this point that Tate cannot?

To me they look very similar.  They appear to be about the same speed, they're running very similar routes, and they're about the same height.  Green may be a little quicker, but Tate is bigger and stronger.  

They almost looked like clones to me seeing their routes run, and I had to double-check to see if it's 18 or 19 that came up with the reception.

If we were able to ship off AJ in the next couple days I don't think we'd miss him one bit.  Curious to hear what others think.

If we can get a decent pick for AJ I wouldn't think twice.
Reply/Quote
I'd trade Green but this is the same team who's only made 2 in season trades in 15 years
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:16 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I will call bull shit on that....

Right?

Green had 178 yards over the previous two games. Tate had 0.

When wins are as rare as they've been lately, it always makes some crazy high-hype takes happen afterwards.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:21 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Tate is a legit weapon. Love the way this offense is shaping up. Trade Ross for a fruit rollup and move forward.

Who in their right mind is giving up a fruit roll up for Ross?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Right?

When wins are as rare as they've been lately, it always makes some crazy high-hype takes happen afterwards.

AJ has had multiple double digit target games. Tate has had none. But when the ball does go to him all he does is make plays.

Call it a “super hype take” all you want, but to my eyes Tate is more of a playmaker at this point. AJ is basically just hands now. He’s not making that catch Tate did today where he went way up for that high throw.

Reply/Quote

Yeah, I doubt AJ goes anywhere this year. I still think he has a good presence in the locker room and shows guys how to do it the right way. But unless he takes a extreme pay cut, he won't be back next year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:08 PM)ah5 Wrote: Who in their right mind is giving up a fruit roll up for Ross?

Fair question.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, I doubt AJ goes anywhere this year. I still think he has a good presence in the locker room and shows guys how to do it the right way. But unless he takes a extreme pay cut, he won't be back next year. 

Boyd is pretty much a vet now too though. We can’t overpay a guy just for his mentoring.

Reply/Quote
This WR group of the Bengals is fun to watch.Of course,Joe Burrow does his part to contribute.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boyd is pretty much a vet now too though. We can’t overpay a guy just for his mentoring.

Absolutely true. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, I doubt AJ goes anywhere this year. I still think he has a good presence in the locker room and shows guys how to do it the right way. But unless he takes a extreme pay cut, he won't be back next year. 

this is what coaches are for. I am not about paying a guy for locker room presence. Aj is really showing age this year and dropping of the preverbal cliff. Next year will be worse. Time to go young and get this rebuilt. This is Boyds group now.
Reply/Quote

Tate had a good game today, but was basically invisible the first 7 weeks of the season.  He had 4 catches for 56 yards on 7 targets going into today.  He has one good day where he was still only 3rd on the team in receiving yards against a defense even worse than ours and the hype train is up and running again.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:18 AM)Whatever Wrote: Tate had a good game today, but was basically invisible the first 7 weeks of the season.  He had 4 catches for 56 yards on 7 targets going into today.  He has one good day where he was still only 3rd on the team in receiving yards against a defense even worse than ours and the hype train is up and running again.  

It’s not a hype train. He realistically could be our 3rd best WR going forward. AJ has had 6 bad games to 2 good ones. His days of making an impact are probably going to be few and far between at this point.

No one is saying Tate is a Pro Bowler. He just might be better than 32 year old AJ Green.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 01:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not a hype train. He realistically could be our 3rd best WR going forward. AJ has had 6 bad games to 2 good ones. His days of making an impact are probably going to be few and far between at this point.

No one is saying Tate is a Pro Bowler. He just might be better than 32 year old AJ Green.

I don't get what they don't get about what Tate is ?

Tate is never going to be a 1,600 yrd 95 catch 12 TD guy. But he doesn't have to be to fit right in with what we need. AJ is done, he can't/won't go after contested catches or high point the ball. He's clearly lost a step or step and a half.

Read my lips R.O.S.S is D.O.N.E.

Get over it and be happy Tate can contribute for the love of.......
Reply/Quote