Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor / Burrow
(09-19-2020, 03:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Or is that Callahans job? What does that guy exactly do lol

Idk. Maybe he helps with the YouTube channel or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:34 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Wow. I didn't think that would be taken so literally. The fact that we abandon the run game and threw the ball 61 times. I find it hard to believe that our boy wonder HC/OC can't see that our OLine is horrible. However, we still attempted 61 passes.

I doubt that Taylor truly "wants" to let Burrow get his ass handed to him, just saying that it appears that way with the play calling.

I'm really surprised that got taken that way.

Ok, so when the run game is getting stuffed repeatedly, are we supposed to revert back to run, run, incomplete pass, punt?  All that does is give the other team the ball back with repetitive 3 and outs.

And, just how many plays that are called in the huddle do you think actually get executed at the snap?  I have no data, so I'm guessing likely 50% or less, meaning that Joe likely has the authority to audible at will, based upon what he sees at the line.  I wouldn't be so quick to saddle Taylor with being at fault for calling all of the plays, chances are that Joe has a good read on what he sees, and calls something that he feels can be productive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Turner, Callahan, Taylor, Tobin.  They all have a hand in presenting this OL, who do you finger the blame on?  

A bit of each.

Tobin — not adressing the position in the most recent draft, signing Hart, not using free agency for Oline
Turner — putting faith in Hart, getting nothing out of Price, simplistic scheme perhaps?
Taylor — letting things go on without change.
Callahan — not getting everyone’s coffee order right
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:38 PM)Tony Wrote: How do you guys feel about Taylor putting 61 attempts on Burrow? Are you afraid He will beat Burrow into the ground because he knows his seat is getting hot, and will try and win at any cost?

Are we sure it's Taylor? I mean Burrow looked like he  was audibling out there a lot.

I mean Burrow has been quoted as saying "If you don’t want me to throw it, don’t call it." As in if you give me the ball, I'm gonna throw it.

I mean Burrow just has a reckless abandonment about himself. He knows the risks, he feels like it's his job to compete and that's what he's gonna do.

Which is why if he looks bruised and battered, but it's something he can play through. Zac might want to step in and throw Finley out there for a week.

Especially if we're eliminated from the playoffs by then.

No need to hurt your franchise on a lost season.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 01:51 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think that was the plan.  If the defense had showed up at all, it probably wouldn't have been that way.

Also, I would say while the number of unblocked rushers hitting him was bad, Burrow contributed to the overall number of hits by holding the ball to make plays.

I gotta say, I just love watching Burrow play.  He has magic in him.  All three of his TD passes were outstanding.   And I thought on the pass to AJ at the end of the first half that Burrow was trying to go back shoulder and AJ didn't read it right.  Burrow excelled on the back shoulder throw last year and he and AJ will get on the same page together.

He will be great.  But, yeah, please don't get him killed first.
The Last TD where he is scrambling to the left and throws back  right to Boyd in the endzone is not something alot of QBs can do. That was amazing..
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s inexcusable to ask a rookie (especially with no preseason) to throw that much in his 2nd NFL start. It had been since 2003 the last time it happened.

You paid Joe Mixon all this money, figure the ground game the **** out.

It's like they semi get it going and these offense line penalties kill it and they never go back..
Reply/Quote
We were playing catch up the whole game due to Anarumo not being able to make 1 single stop.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:27 PM)Tony Wrote: The Last TD where he is scrambling to the left and throws back  right to Boyd in the endzone is not something alot of QBs can do. That was amazing..

It absolutely was.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:29 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: We were playing catch up the whole game due to Anarumo not being able to make 1 single stop.

Not one? Not even that goal line stand? Not excusing the poor D on Thursday, but they had a great moment there.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:34 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Wow. I didn't think that would be taken so literally. The fact that we abandon the run game and threw the ball 61 times. I find it hard to believe that our boy wonder HC/OC can't see that our OLine is horrible. However, we still attempted 61 passes.

I doubt that Taylor truly "wants" to let Burrow get his ass handed to him, just saying that it appears that way with the play calling.

I'm really surprised that got taken that way.

Yeah.  How weird is it that those words were taken how they were written?  People are strange that way, thinking someone meant to say what they said.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: A bit of each.

[quote pid='909368' dateline='1600542516']
Tobin — not adressing the position in the most recent draft, signing Hart, not using free agency for Oline

They had just double dipped on OL, in the 2019 draft.  So far, both of those guys are developing into starters. (Williams and Jordan)  This year they added Adeniji, who was cheated of a full year of OTAs, Preseason games, and a truncated training camp, he's going to take a little while to fully develop.  They also added and kept Fred Johnson, the jury is still out on FJ.  He looked good in limited action at Tackle last year, but stunk it up at RG for one game.  A little too soon to be passing judgement on the guy, if you ask me.  They did address OL in free agency, by signing Xavier Su'a Filo.  By all accounts that I saw in the Chargers game, he was doing well before spraining an ankle.  He'll be back in a few weeks.  As for not going for a marquis OL signing in FA?  I believe that the data shows that OL is likely the worst position group to spend big money on FAs, as far as them panning out to be worth the money spent.

Turner — putting faith in Hart, getting nothing out of Price, simplistic scheme perhaps?

As far as Turner putting faith in Hart?  How do we know that he's just not following directives from the top?  I'm not talking about Zac Taylor, I'm talking front office.  They may have made the directive that "we signed this guy, and we like him, you'll play him".  As for Price, he seems to pass the eye test in limited action this year.  We'll see if he's ready to live up to his draft position.  As far scheme, who tf knows what they're doing.  I come from the school of thought that says you keep it simple until you master the basics.  No need bogging down a guy's thought process, until the fundamentals become automatic and perfect 9.9/10.

I really do think that he's making the most of what he's been given to work with.  He can't just wave a magic wand and have 3 top notch OL appear.  The FO overhauled the defense in FA, though injuries have stolen the thunder of all those fantastic acquisitions..

There's nothing wrong with Callahan's offense that some completed deep passes won't cure.  It's not his fault that AJ Green is rusty, and dropping what we've come to know as routine catches from him over the years.  John Ross bobbling and dropping what should be sure catches is mind boggling as well.  If just half of the deep throws that were completely catchable are caught, how much more effective would the run game be if teams had to respect the deep threat?
[/quote]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
61 pass attempts? Maybe in two games...
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [quote pid='909368' dateline='1600542516']

They had just double dipped on OL, in the 2019 draft.  So far, both of those guys are developing into starters. (Williams and Jordan)  This year they added Adeniji, who was cheated of a full year of OTAs, Preseason games, and a truncated training camp, he's going to take a little while to fully develop.  They also added and kept Fred Johnson, the jury is still out on FJ.  He looked good in limited action at Tackle last year, but stunk it up at RG for one game.  A little too soon to be passing judgement on the guy, if you ask me.  They did address OL in free agency, by signing Xavier Su'a Filo.  By all accounts that I saw in the Chargers game, he was doing well before spraining an ankle.  He'll be back in a few weeks.  As for not going for a marquis OL signing in FA?  I believe that the data shows that OL is likely the worst position group to spend big money on FAs, as far as them panning out to be worth the money spent.

As far as Turner putting faith in Hart?  How do we know that he's just not following directives from the top?  I'm not talking about Zac Taylor, I'm talking front office.  They may have made the directive that "we signed this guy, and we like him, you'll play him".  As for Price, he seems to pass the eye test in limited action this year.  We'll see if he's ready to live up to his draft position.  As far scheme, who tf knows what they're doing.  I come from the school of thought that says you keep it simple until you master the basics.  No need bogging down a guy's thought process, until the fundamentals become automatic and perfect 9.9/10.

I really do think that he's making the most of what he's been given to work with.  He can't just wave a magic wand and have 3 top notch OL appear.  The FO overhauled the defense in FA, though injuries have stolen the thunder of all those fantastic acquisitions..

There's nothing wrong with Callahan's offense that some completed deep passes won't cure.  It's not his fault that AJ Green is rusty, and dropping what we've come to know as routine catches from him over the years.  John Ross bobbling and dropping what should be sure catches is mind boggling as well.  If just half of the deep throws that were completely catchable are caught, how much more effective would the run game be if teams had to respect the deep threat?
[/quote]

So nobody is to blame then, cool.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Or is that Callahans job? What does that guy exactly do lol

[Image: Matt-Damon-carrying-Starbucks.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [quote pid='909368' dateline='1600542516']

I don't understand how fans of a team go around and tout things like "the money isn't worth it", how do you know? What data really truly shows that? If your Oline is getting blown up and your offense is scrambling to do anything then you must spend the money to fix it or you won't win, or worst case your franchise player gets hurt and then you really have no shot. There's so much "data" out there now that people just way overthink the basic necessities of winning football. Sunset I'm not putting this on you directly just more a general comment, since there's such a big trend on fans talking  about how much a player should be worth. A player is worth exactly what value he provides to the team. My 2 cents.

[/quote]
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
[/quote]

So, did you have something you wanted to say?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So, did you have something you wanted to say?
[/quote]

Read above in my post, I accidentally screwed up the quote section I think so it looks like it was part of your post.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah.  How weird is it that those words were taken how they were written?  People are strange that way, thinking someone meant to say what they said.

Again, wow. I don't think there's any coach who wants their QB to get his ass kicked every game. I'm not high on Taylor and it's ridiculous that he makes excuses for the OLine. It also seems crazy that we abandon the run game and had our rookie QB throw the ball 61 times on Thursday considering the issues we're having with pressure.

My fault for thinking what I said would be understood for the issues at hand as opposed to being questioned on if I really believe our HC/OC wants our QB to take a beating. I'll try to spell it out more clearly from now on.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 09:34 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Again, wow. I don't think there's any coach who wants their QB to get his ass kicked every game. I'm not high on Taylor and it's ridiculous that he makes excuses for the OLine. It also seems crazy that we abandon the run game and had our rookie QB throw the ball 61 times on Thursday considering the issues we're having with pressure.

My fault for thinking what I said would be understood for the issues at hand as opposed to being questioned on if I really believe our HC/OC wants our QB to take a beating. I'll try to spell it out more clearly from now on.

Abandoning the run game kept us in that game. Just sayin.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, so when the run game is getting stuffed repeatedly, are we supposed to revert back to run, run, incomplete pass, punt?  All that does is give the other team the ball back with repetitive 3 and outs.

And, just how many plays that are called in the huddle do you think actually get executed at the snap?  I have no data, so I'm guessing likely 50% or less, meaning that Joe likely has the authority to audible at will, based upon what he sees at the line.  I wouldn't be so quick to saddle Taylor with being at fault for calling all of the plays, chances are that Joe has a good read on what he sees, and calls something that he feels can be productive.

To keep a defense honest, yes, you still need to run the ball sometimes. I never said run, run, pass, punt. You can't just stop running the ball. Being one dimensional is not a recipe for success.

Sure, the play calls may not all fall back on Taylor, but the teams overall ineptitude to protect our QB and provide running lanes is. We had issues last year with the run, but they were able to adjust and the run game improve. I would hope the boy wonder could see that they need to go back to the drawing board and do something to try and help our QB. The opposing defenses are spending almost as much time in our backfield as our QB and RBs. I understand it was a short week, but I hope they are trying to figure something out.
Reply/Quote