Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Taylor Swift=Bengals revenue
(07-05-2023, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not a "guitar snob" so I gotta say Jimi Hendrix is the best I've heard in my lifetime. We used to listen to his Star Spangled Banner in the lockerroom before we took the mat.

I don't think a GoaT can really be crowned.  A lot of modern guitarists can play stuff the guitar heros of the 60's and 70's would never dare to attempt, but modern guitarists are also standing on the shoulders of those legends.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 10:21 AM)Whatever Wrote: I expect him to play really clean when most of his parts are relatively simple and when you look into his rig, he has noise suppression in almost every link of his signal chain.  

His parts fit well in in Pink Floyd 's songs and style, but so did Johnny Ramone's in The Ramones and I wouldn't hold him way up there, either(and I like a lot of The Ramones stuff).  

A guy doesn't necessarily have to be ultra fast to be great, IMO.  I can appreciate a lot of different attributes, from Bob Weir's insane knowledge of chord inversions, to the crazy stretches Andy Summers pulls off, to the bends Stevie Ray Vaughan could do while using very heavy gauge strings.  But playing routine parts cleanly with virtually every noise cancelling trick in the book isn't one of them.  

Bobby doesn't get the credit he deserves. I get that he played in Jerry's shadow, but Bob can play in his own right. 

That said, Jerry is one of my all time favorites, and people that don't follow the Dead don't get how good he was.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not a "guitar snob" so I gotta say Jimi Hendrix is the best I've heard in my lifetime. We used to listen to his Star Spangled Banner in the lockerroom before we took the mat.

True story, Jimi once cancelled a gig to go see Buddy Guy play. I've seen Buddy four times, he's phenomenal.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/buddy-guy-jimi-hendrix-leonard-chess#:~:text=%E2%80%9CHe%20Said%2C%20'I%20Just,Talks%20Befriending%20Jimi%20Hendrix%20%7C%20GuitarPlayer

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 11:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: True story, Jimi once cancelled a gig to go see Buddy Guy play. I've seen Buddy four times, he's phenomenal.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/buddy-guy-jimi-hendrix-leonard-chess#:~:text=%E2%80%9CHe%20Said%2C%20'I%20Just,Talks%20Befriending%20Jimi%20Hendrix%20%7C%20GuitarPlayer

Another tid bit about Jimi, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top was his favorite guitarist.
Reply/Quote
This makes me wonder what would have happened if the concert somehow was the same day the Reds won the world series at GABP.. Just as the concert started..
I bet traffic would be non-existent all day..in another town with no cars.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 01:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another tid bit about Jimi, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top was his favorite guitarist.

I thought that was Terry Kath.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 09:35 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I thought that was Terry Kath.

Now THAT was a damn shame. Cincinnati has it's own local guitar legend living there unless he's moved. Is Frampton still living in CIncy?
Reply/Quote

Terry Kath was and still is my favorite guitar player. He'd probably still be with Chicago is he was still alive..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 06:37 PM)grampahol Wrote: Terry Kath was and still is my favorite guitar player. He'd probably still be with Chicago is he was still alive..

Few have played the guitar with the talent and ferocity of Kath.  Even fewer have uttered more ironic last words.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 11:51 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Bobby doesn't get the credit he deserves. I get that he played in Jerry's shadow, but Bob can play in his own right. 

That said, Jerry is one of my all time favorites, and people that don't follow the Dead don't get how good he was.

Oh for sure... My girlfriend is a Deadhead. I've never been a fan, but they have their moments... Anyway. She's always trying to get me to learn this or that song. Their stuff is really outta my wheelhouse and comfort zone. Bob Weir actually impresses me more.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Jimi definitely had high regards for Kath for sure. I remember watching a special though on how Billy would invite Jimi to play 
with him backstage and Jimi just thought he was a great guy and guitarist and taught him a lot. it was when they toured together 
and they were great friends and on the special it said Billy was his favorite. You could be right though and it really was Kath.

One thing I also remember about Jimi is that Pink Floyd opened up for him one time and Syd Barrett was so damn high on acid
he spent like an our just tuning his guitar and it made Jimi furious. We all know how Clapton didn't like getting upstaged by Jimi 
the other time, cannot hardly blame him when a dude like that comes on and shows you up lol
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 09:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Now THAT was a damn shame. Cincinnati has it's own local guitar legend living there unless he's moved. Is Frampton still living in CIncy?

No.  He is in Nashville.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't classify Gilmour's sound as clean. He definitely used a Fuzz pedal, and probably some overdrive, reverb and delay. Though I loved Gilmour's stuff because he played with so much feeling. The best clean player of all time is definitely Mark Knopfler.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 03:40 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: I wouldn't classify Gilmour's sound as clean.  He definitely used a Fuzz pedal, and probably some overdrive, reverb and delay.  Though I loved Gilmour's stuff because he played with so much feeling.  The best clean player of all time is definitely Mark Knopfler.

Really underrated. I love his stuff. Another guy that people have forgotten is Tony Joe White. 

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2023, 03:40 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: I wouldn't classify Gilmour's sound as clean.  He definitely used a Fuzz pedal, and probably some overdrive, reverb and delay.  Though I loved Gilmour's stuff because he played with so much feeling.  The best clean player of all time is definitely Mark Knopfler.

Just because he plays with distortion doesn't mean he isn't clean as can be, I have heard many times where other top guitarists
mess up on stage, Gilmour never has from what I have seen of him on youtube. But agree on the way Gilmour plays with such
feeling and also agree on Knopfler being as clean of a guitarist as it gets. Dude is great, one could argue he is the best.

It is all about preference with the GOAT's of guitar.
Reply/Quote