Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor seem to think the offensive line is playing well
Zac is starting to come off as smug in interviews:

Q: The offensive line has improved in the last two games. What has changed?
A: “No one wanted to hear it, but we were close. Every played it seemed like, ‘Man, if one thing was a little better by one person, we were going to get there.’ I feel like the last two weeks, we were starting to hit our stride. That comes with the consistency of the lineup at offensive line. It’s the same people in the game, and that helps, because they’re starting to work all of these combinations together and starting to sink in a little bit (such) that, ‘OK, this is how we work together, and this is how all of this stuff is supposed to work.’ That’s been encouraging. With the protections, there were a couple protection errors yesterday. (Baltimore) presents a lot of challenging looks to you. They pressure you like crazy. If you look at the (QB) hits over the last three weeks against Seattle, New England and us, we’re on the lower end of that, to be quite honest with you. Our guys did a nice job for the most part. It wasn’t all perfect, but they gave us a chance.”

Q: According to certain metrics, Cincinnati is near the bottom of the league in both pass blocking and pass rushing. Is that accurate?
A: “To be honest, I don’t know what that means. Pass rushing and pass blocking?”

Q: ESPN tracks both. Cincinnati’s pass blocking is the worst in the league and its pass rushing is near the bottom. Is that the way you see it?
A: “The points we put up every game are due to a lack of rushing yards. We have given up pressures this year, there’s no question about it. I don’t know anything that goes into how anyone would rank that. We know what our issues are, based on who has what assignment and how they’re working together. For example, there was probably one against the Rams where John Jerry looked really bad because it looked like a pass protection when really it was a version of an RPO, but if someone was just watching the game, they would think, ‘Oh, that’s a play-action and he didn’t even block his guy,’ when in reality, it was a run play where he was throwing a pass block. He got rushed by the extra rusher that was blitzing off the edge. I don’t know what factors into any (of those metrics). I know that we see improvement from our guys and how they’re working together. They’re giving us a chance to move the ball. We just need to find ways to get more explosive plays down the field. That’s really what’s killing us, is it has to be more methodical. Marching down the field, we’re lacking those big plays — those one-play drives or those four-play drives. That’s really what we’ve been missing this year.”
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor needs an ophthalmologist. After reading that I think he might have vision issues. The Bengals are emphatically NOT “close.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Taylor also seems to think that he should continue doing the offensive playcalling, and thought hiring all his buddies as coaches was a good idea.

"Two QB Coaches and a DB Coach handling the playcalling on O and D? What can go wrong?" - Taylor, probably

So we already know that guy's delusional.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
His interviews legit sound like he's coaching a 5-4 team. He basically seems to blame the receivers and RB's for not having big plays.
Reply/Quote
Explosive plays? I’m sorry but that’s not how teams win Super Bowl trophies. The best offenses move the chains steadily down the field and take a chance on a big play only when the perfect situation presents itself. That way you chew up the clock, rest your defense, and most of all keep the opposing offense off the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Explosive plays?  I’m sorry but that’s not how teams win Super Bowl trophies.  The best offenses move the chains steadily down the field and take a chance on a big play only when the perfect situation presents itself.  That way you chew up the clock, rest your defense, and most of all keep the opposing offense off the field.

We struggle to score period. We had a bunch of 10 play drives and 3 or less points against Baltimore.

He's basically clueless.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We struggle to score period. We had a bunch of 10 play drives and 3 or less points against Baltimore.

He's basically clueless.

...and the Bengals still haven’t had a rushing touchdown from anyone but Andy Dalton all year. That’s horrible! The other 31 teams have running backs who score touchdowns on the ground but not here. Maybe that’s too “simple” for the lofty-minded Bengals’ coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
This is just the smuggest comment. Basically an I told you so!

A: “No one wanted to hear it, but we were close. Every played it seemed like, ‘Man, if one thing was a little better by one person, we were going to get there.

We're 0-9 Zac! 0-9! You just got beat by 36 points! 2nd worst in franchise history and you're using that as an I told you so?!?!
Reply/Quote
Watching the Niners play last night and think back to the glory days of Ryan Hewitt I asked myself: "Self, if our oline cannot open lanes for the RB why don't we use a Fullback?" I had no answer for myself.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Just more proof Zac is in over his head and shouldn’t be anywhere near a head coaching job. We have to two worst rated tackles in football based on pass block win percentage.
Reply/Quote
Zach gave the best answer he could regarding the rankings.  I think ESPN uses the NextGen info to measure success on pass blocking/rushing.  They use the tracking devices on the players to determine how quickly a rusher gets closer to the QB than the blocker i.e. "beats the block".  But Zach may have thought they were talking about some bogus subjective form of "grading" the pass blocking/rush.  So no need to give any credit to any rankings that he is not familiar with.

He knows we suck but he can't say that.  He is handling it the best way he can.

BTW Footballoutsiders has our run blocking ranked dead last based on "Adjusted line yards", a formula that gives more credit to the RB for yards over ten yards past the line of scrimmage and more blame to the O-line for runs for zero or negative yardage.  Our pass blocking also ranks dead last based on "Adjusted sack rate" which takes into account teams' opponents and percentage of sacks on third-and-long.

Our defensive line actually rank slightly higher (25th rush, 30th pass rush), but still deep in the "suck" range.  And these rankings should actually be for the "front seven" more than just the D-line.

At least this team is consistent.  They look bad everywhere.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 06:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just more proof Zac is in over his head and shouldn’t be anywhere near a head coaching job. We have to two worst rated tackles in football based on pass block win percentage.

What can Zach do about that?

He would have had a chance to cobble together an acceptable O-line if he had not lost Boling, Williams, and Glenn.  And I really thought Price's struggles last year were due to his lack of lifting in the offseason.  To me he has been one of the biggest disappointments on a team of disappointments.

Taylor's O-line is a nightmare.  Dead last in both run and pass blocking.  He doesn't have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 07:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What can Zach do about that?

He would have had a chance to cobble together an acceptable O-line if he had not lost Boling, Williams, and Glenn.  And I really thought Price's struggles last year were due to his lack of lifting in the offseason.  To me he has been one of the biggest disappointments on a team of disappointments.

Taylor's O-line is a nightmare.  Dead last in both run and pass blocking.  He doesn't have a chance.

He could say the same thing he said about the linebackers, but that would hurt Turner’s feelings.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 07:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He could say the same thing he said about the linebackers, but that would hurt Turner’s feelings.

That was just a cheap shot at Preston Brown.

They needed a scapegoat.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That was just a cheap shot at Preston Brown.

They needed a scapegoat.

So does the o-line. Hart could easily be cut and provide the same cover as Brown.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zac is starting to come off as smug in interviews:

Q: The offensive line has improved in the last two games. What has changed?
A: “No one wanted to hear it, but we were close. Every played it seemed like, ‘Man, if one thing was a little better by one person, we were going to get there.’ I feel like the last two weeks, we were starting to hit our stride. That comes with the consistency of the lineup at offensive line. It’s the same people in the game, and that helps, because they’re starting to work all of these combinations together and starting to sink in a little bit (such) that, ‘OK, this is how we work together, and this is how all of this stuff is supposed to work.’ That’s been encouraging. With the protections, there were a couple protection errors yesterday. (Baltimore) presents a lot of challenging looks to you. They pressure you like crazy. If you look at the (QB) hits over the last three weeks against Seattle, New England and us, we’re on the lower end of that, to be quite honest with you. Our guys did a nice job for the most part. It wasn’t all perfect, but they gave us a chance.”

Q: According to certain metrics, Cincinnati is near the bottom of the league in both pass blocking and pass rushing. Is that accurate?
A: “To be honest, I don’t know what that means. Pass rushing and pass blocking?”

Q: ESPN tracks both. Cincinnati’s pass blocking is the worst in the league and its pass rushing is near the bottom. Is that the way you see it?
A: “The points we put up every game are due to a lack of rushing yards. We have given up pressures this year, there’s no question about it. I don’t know anything that goes into how anyone would rank that. We know what our issues are, based on who has what assignment and how they’re working together. For example, there was probably one against the Rams where John Jerry looked really bad because it looked like a pass protection when really it was a version of an RPO, but if someone was just watching the game, they would think, ‘Oh, that’s a play-action and he didn’t even block his guy,’ when in reality, it was a run play where he was throwing a pass block. He got rushed by the extra rusher that was blitzing off the edge. I don’t know what factors into any (of those metrics). I know that we see improvement from our guys and how they’re working together. They’re giving us a chance to move the ball. We just need to find ways to get more explosive plays down the field. That’s really what’s killing us, is it has to be more methodical. Marching down the field, we’re lacking those big plays — those one-play drives or those four-play drives. That’s really what we’ve been missing this year.”

Close? How is getting pasted 49-13 close? That's not even close enough to count in horseshoes or hand grenades. That's a college blowout score.

Doesn't know what bottom of the league in passing blocking or passing rush means? I believe that.

Explosive plays? How about just some sustained drives that result in points? When your defense is getting pushed all over the field one would think that you'd want to slow the game down a bit, have a sustained drive and get some points. yes?

Lack in 1 play drives and 4 play drives? What? How about drives that don't end with turns overs or punts or 4th down fails?

These guys gets waxed each and every week and they think they are improving? If they ever get a win this year, and that is looking less and less likely, they'll think they have a winning record or something.

I truly have seen and heard enough of this dirt bag. He's like a used car salesman whose only got Pintos for sale and he just keeps on talking hoping no one will open the hood or read the recall postings.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zach gave the best answer he could regarding the rankings.  I think ESPN uses the NextGen info to measure success on pass blocking/rushing.  They use the tracking devices on the players to determine how quickly a rusher gets closer to the QB than the blocker i.e. "beats the block".  But Zach may have thought they were talking about some bogus subjective form of "grading" the pass blocking/rush.  So no need to give any credit to any rankings that he is not familiar with.

He knows we suck but he can't say that. 
He is handling it the best way he can.

BTW Footballoutsiders has our run blocking ranked dead last based on "Adjusted line yards", a formula that gives more credit to the RB for yards over ten yards past the line of scrimmage and more blame to the O-line for runs for zero or negative yardage.  Our pass blocking also ranks dead last based on "Adjusted sack rate" which takes into account teams' opponents and percentage of sacks on third-and-long.

Our defensive line actually rank slightly higher (25th rush, 30th pass rush), but still deep in the "suck" range.  And these rankings should actually be for the "front seven" more than just the D-line.

At least this team is consistent.  They look bad everywhere.

Why not? Plenty of coaches rip into a unit if it isn't playing well, or at the very least they will acknowledge the need for improvement.

You certainly don't have to defend poor performance, although doing so reminds me of a certain owner.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yeah this guy is toast. Hope he’s fired after the season, what a clown
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:22 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor needs an ophthalmologist.  After reading that I think he might have vision issues.  The Bengals are emphatically NOT “close.”

(11-12-2019, 10:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is just the smuggest comment. Basically an I told you so!

A: “No one wanted to hear it, but we were close. Every played it seemed like, ‘Man, if one thing was a little better by one person, we were going to get there.

We're 0-9 Zac! 0-9! You just got beat by 36 points! 2nd worst in franchise history and you're using that as an I told you so?!?!

I believe he was referring to the running game and running plays, specifically.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: His interviews legit sound like he's coaching a 5-4 team. He basically seems to blame the receivers and RB's for not having big plays.

He is a young inexperienced coach who never really had control of an offense to be worthy of becoming a head coach. The Bengals took a flyer on him and look where they are today. An experienced HC, OC or DC would have been a better hire; however, the Bengals front office felt that ZT could get the job done. He isn't.

The defensive unit after ML took over was doing better than this unit and it had just as many issues. The offensive unit even with it behind Driskel was IMO better than what is being fielded today. 

IMO, the failure starts with the coaches. They simply aren't performing well enough to ensure the success of the team. Great coaches are able to over come injuries; anyone remember when the PATS lost Brady early in the season and still finished the year with a winning record. Great coaches can over come obstacles such as injuries or have a plan in place to at least make the team good enough to get the job done. 

The current set of head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator lack experience as leaders and it is showing up week in and week out; not only on film but also when it comes to the press conference. 

Fans knew going into the season with the LB the Bengals had signed were not enough to help the team win. We all knew AJ injury was going to hurt the team. We all knew that the OL had holes even with Jonah joining before he was injured and yet here the Bengals sit as the lone win less team. 

Andy wasn't the problem, Preston wasn't the problem, and Jonah injury wasn't the problem, etc... lack of proper long term planning by the front office and the coaching staff is the problem. I blame Tobin and Taylor as they are the two who hold the closest relationship with the Brown family to ensure the team had the right pieces in place to win as many games as possible. 

If Katie and her husband has control of the team, I think they should hire a GM to run the Bengals, fire both Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor. Than allow the GM to bring in people into the scouting department and hire an experience HC that they will work with to ensure the team bring in players that fit the coaches scheme, this includes FA, signing their own, etc... 

Last year changes IMO are complete failure and I believe the Bengals can turn this around next year, but it requires the team hiring a GM and making changes to both the scouting and with the coaches. 
Reply/Quote