Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team captains?
(09-08-2020, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow might not be a captain right off the bat, but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he is. I actually think it’s likely. 

This.

Burrow looks like he will make a great leader and captain.  Just maybe not his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
well no one got all the choices right...Burrow is a captian. They chose 7 this year. I am kind of surprised not to see Trey Hopkins but can see where they didn't want to displace Bernard and Green. No Geno this year but it is possible he took a step back with his NFLPA duties and baby #2 on the way

Vonn Bell
Giovani Bernard
Joe Burrow
Josh Bynes
A.J. Green
Kevin Huber
Shawn Williams

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Captains announced:
Vonn Bell
Gio
Burrow
Bynes
Green
Huber
Shawn Williams

I was just about to make a post about Bell being a captain before I saw this.
Reply/Quote
You all know I was always one of the guys in favor the Bengals paying Mixon well to keep him here. I love him as a player, but I just don't see him as a captain.

Lots of fans love him because he is emotional. But teenage girls are emotional also, and that is what Mixon acts like on social media. Being a captain is more about maturity than emotion.

Since he is going to be here a while hopefully he grows into the role.
Reply/Quote
With the exception of Burrow, they are all seasoned veterans even if Bell and Bynes are new to the team

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You all know I was always one of the guys in favor the Bengals paying Mixon well to keep him here.  I love him as a player, but I just don't see him as a captain.

Lots of fans love him because he is emotional.  But teenage girls are emotional also, and that is what Mixon acts like on social media.  Being a captain is more about maturity than emotion.

I gave Mixon as a possibility because of him getting paid. Figured they might try to double down on their decision to tie themselves to him with a C. 

Also didn't think they'd give a C to 3 different players who have been with the team less than half a year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It’s interesting to me that Shawn Williams is still a captain. I think that guy is going to play with a major chip on his shoulder this year. I’m excited for what he is going to bring to the table to prove to the fans his worth on this team. We have a strong safety group.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s interesting to me that Shawn Williams is still a captain. I think that guy is going to play with a major chip on his shoulder this year. I’m excited for what he is going to bring to the table to prove to the fans his worth on this team. We have a strong safety group.

His teammates love Williams. I think it was the Athletic last year that polled the players about their teammates.  One of the questions is which teammate would they see as a head coach one day.  Every one of them said, Shawn Williams.  They said he would be disciplined and wouldn't take any s*** from his players.  But overall, the tone of the comments were ones of deep respect.

Reply/Quote
The only issue I have is I think Dunlap is both a leader work ethic wise and is also an emotional leader and has always been a positive Bengal.

I have no issues with those named other than Williams, I would have swapped Dunlap into that slot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:11 PM)pally Wrote: His teammates love Williams. I think it was the Athletic last year that polled the players about their teammates.  One of the questions is which teammate would they see as a head coach one day.  Every one of them said, Shawn Williams.  They said he would be disciplined and wouldn't take any s*** from his players.  But overall, the tone of the comments were ones of deep respect.

Rep.

I have always said that it is very difficult for fans to know who the true leaders are on a team.  Lots of fans love the guys who squeal on the sidelines.  Players are more impressed by what guys do on the practice field, in meetings, and in the locker room.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You all know I was always one of the guys in favor the Bengals paying Mixon well to keep him here. I love him as a player, but I just don't see him as a captain.

Lots of fans love him because he is emotional. But teenage girls are emotional also, and that is what Mixon acts like on social media. Being a captain is more about maturity than emotion.

Never pegged you for a misogynist, Fred. And for the record he acts like a typical millenial, gender has nothing to do with it. Especially one with some fame.

Anyway, the reason Mixon being “emotional” was such a good thing was because some players on the team could have been accused of coming off like they didn’t really give a shit during a 2-14 season last year. That clearly wasn’t the case with Mixon.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And for the record he acts like a typical millenial

I disagree.  The league is full of millenials who don't behave like Mixon on social media.  They all are subject to booing but Mixon is the only one I know of who cried about it on twitter.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 12:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Captains announced:
Vonn Bell
Gio
Burrow
Bynes
Green
Huber
Shawn Williams

Bell and Bynes already being Captains is very telling. Cool
Reply/Quote
Bell, Bynes, and Burrow being Cs so quickly is telling. Not surprising, just a testament to the type of players those guys are.

No lineman. Atkins, Hopkins, or Dunlap would not have surprised me.

Huber is kind of a surprise.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.  The league is full of millenials who don't behave like Mixon on social media.  They all are subject to booing but Mixon is the only one I know of who cried about it on twitter.

You can’t be serious? Your boy Andy whined about people “not being real fans” just last year when they were rooting for the future more than a meaningless win in a lost season.

And that’s just one example close to home. Players have little spats with fans online all the time.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bell and Bynes already being Captains is very telling. Cool

Funny I don’t remember a C on Vigil’s chest...

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Bell, Bynes, and Burrow being Cs so quickly is telling. Not surprising, just a testament to the type of players those guys are.

No lineman. Atkins, Hopkins, or Dunlap would not have surprised me.

Huber is kind of a surprise.

I expected Burrow because of the way the Coaches were talking him up, but to come in right as a vet FA pickup and be a 
Captain right off the bet tells me Bell and Bynes are leaders in their own right already.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Funny I don’t remember a C on Vigil’s chest...

Nope, me neither LMAO!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can’t be serious? Your boy Andy whined about people “not being real fans” just last year when they were rooting for the future more than a meaningless win in a lost season.

And that’s just one example close to home. Players have little spats with fans online all the time.

Two totally different situations.

Dalton was complaining about fans wanting the team to lose.  Mixon was complaining about fans wanting the team to win

You honestly think team captains are going to tell their teammates to lose a game?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 01:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Funny I don’t remember a C on Vigil’s chest...

(09-09-2020, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, me neither LMAO!!!

Your guys obsession with Vigil is a little creepy.
Reply/Quote