Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Team held WR Free Agent Workout
(10-30-2022, 09:59 AM)pally Wrote: We saw them for about 45 minutes over 3 pre-season games.  The coaches have seen them play in every practice. As much as we would like to see one player or another, I am willing to concede the coaches probably have a better idea of who is better to fill a role on the roster on any given Sunday

Fun to discuss... but this nailed our situation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:23 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: This kind of assumption is so silly to me this staff and FO have time and time again dipped into FA to replace guys on the roster.  I assume if they sign someone it is with the intention of getting them up to speed ASAP to contribute on offense. 

If there is a player just sitting on the free agent market (meaning all 32 teams feel they cannot contribute meaningfully to their team) that would give you better quality snaps on offense than the players that are currently rostered on your team and/or practice squad then that's a huge indictment of how you built your team. It means the players you have on your roster are worse than players no other team saw a need for. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:46 AM)pally Wrote: They are more likely to promote Trent Irwin than Kwamie Lassiter, in my opinion. Irwin has game experience

That's fair. My point is, I expect the Bengals to promote someone from within rather than sign a street free agent for anything more than special teams snaps. 
Reply/Quote
I dont care he's slow or short, as long as he has preying mantis hands and can win most 1 on 1 matches, sign the man!
Reply/Quote
Victor Bolden could be a dark horse candidate out of this group

Coming from USFL he was named to the All USFL team as an offensive player and a ST's player.

Returns kicks and punts and was the offensive MVP in the Championship game.

Reportedly had a good camp in Az but their WR room was crowded and did not make the team.

Not saying he will be great but possibly serviceable.

Of course Westbrooke had a few 60+ rec seasons at Jax as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 12:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If there is a player just sitting on the free agent market (meaning all 32 teams feel they cannot contribute meaningfully to their team) that would give you better quality snaps on offense than the players that are currently rostered on your team and/or practice squad then that's a huge indictment of how you built your team. It means the players you have on your roster are worse than players no other team saw a need for. 

Kurt Warner (future MVP and Super Bowl QB) was stocking shelves at a Hy-Vee grocery story for $5.50 an hour and then playing for the Arena Football League before St. Louis picked him up. No team in the NFL thought he was worth a roster spot before then. In 2017, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. There is always a chance that 32 NFL teams overlooked someone who could contribute.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 01:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: Kurt Warner (future MVP and Super Bowl QB) was stocking shelves at a Hy-Vee grocery story for $5.50 and hour and then playing for the Arena Football League before St. Louis picked him up. No team in the NFL thought he was worth a roster spot before then. In 2017, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. There is always a chance that 32 NFL teams overlooked someone who could contribute.

Excellent point!  Every guy in the NFL is physically gifted (except a couple punters maybe) - they need the right situation (a chance), the right teammates and right coaching to flourish. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 07:45 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is the most likely route they take.

I just don't think it's very wise long term.

They need to prepare for the worst, instead of hoping for the best scenario.

Oh well.  Someday fools will learn.

You are not going to fix a long-term problem with the names mentioned. These guys are temporary fixes at best, if we need a long term fix it would come in draft or offseason free agent. Nothing is pointing to Chase being out long term, so the only long term fix we need is a 4th WR. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 01:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: Kurt Warner (future MVP and Super Bowl QB) was stocking shelves at a Hy-Vee grocery story for $5.50 an hour and then playing for the Arena Football League before St. Louis picked him up. No team in the NFL thought he was worth a roster spot before then. In 2017, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. There is always a chance that 32 NFL teams overlooked someone who could contribute.

And Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Pointing out exceptions is fun, but it's not practical to have those expectations. Signing a guy off the street and expecting them to catalyze this offense is setting yourself up for disappointment. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 02:10 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: You are not going to fix a long-term problem with the names mentioned. These guys are temporary fixes at best, if we need a long term fix it would come in draft or offseason free agent. Nothing is pointing to Chase being out long term, so the only long term fix we need is a 4th WR. 
My apologies.

I didn't mean the guys listed in the workout.

More so guys like the other FAs listed out there.

Such as a Marvin Jones, Terrace Marshall, Elijah Moore.

Chase very well could be put out for the whole season at any point.

Tee has issues he's working through.

Hurst as well.

If one of those guys go down there is a HUGE drop off in talent at key positions.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Who we cutting to make room for a new receiver? Chase isn't going to I/R, and is still on roster.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:03 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: Who we cutting to make room for a new receiver?  Chase isn't going to I/R, and is still on roster.

Trayveon Williams.

He has 1 snap total this year and it was special teams vs the Falcons.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:03 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: Who we cutting to make room for a new receiver?  Chase isn't going to I/R, and is still on roster.

The most logical place to cut right now is the 4th RB Trayveon Williams who has been inactive 6 out of 7 days.  With CTB active they also have a spare CB but right now Eli Apple is hurt so I wouldn't make that move right now,  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Can they cut Stanley Morgan or does his injury prevent them from doing it?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 04:14 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Can they cut Stanley Morgan or does his injury prevent them from doing it?

He's not on IR so he can be cut without an injury settlement.  But, he's not getting cut so its not something to worry about

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 02:10 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: You are not going to fix a long-term problem with the names mentioned. These guys are temporary fixes at best, if we need a long term fix it would come in draft or offseason free agent. Nothing is pointing to Chase being out long term, so the only long term fix we need is a 4th WR. 

Kind of laughable. With Chase out like 4 games...it's panic time to start looking at undrafted WRs, etc. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 06:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Kind of laughable. With Chase out like 4 games...it's panic time to start looking at undrafted WRs, etc. 

Just don't include me in this thought.

None of the guys on this list does more than be 3rd probably 4th WR 

If a WR that is trade worthy out there who doesn't have a huge contract...  I'll take it.

Burrow still playing on rookie contract and pushing for division makes me want more than hoping "Chase will miss like 4 games".
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 06:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just don't include me in this thought.

None of the guys on this list does more than be 3rd probably 4th WR 

If a WR that is trade worthy out there who doesn't have a huge contract...  I'll take it.

Burrow still playing on rookie contract and pushing for division makes me want more than hoping "Chase will miss like 4 games".

Jerry jeudy for a 3 or 4 makes sense for not only this year but to help shave 6m as a replacement for boyd.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 03:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: My apologies.

I didn't mean the guys listed in the workout.

More so guys like the other FAs listed out there.

Such as a Marvin Jones, Terrace Marshall, Elijah Moore.

Chase very well could be put out for the whole season at any point.

Tee has issues he's working through.

Hurst as well.

If one of those guys go down there is a HUGE drop off in talent at key positions.

None of the guys you listed are Free Agents. We would need to trade for any of them. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 07:02 PM)TheFan Wrote: None of the guys you listed are Free Agents. We would need to trade for any of them. 

Sorry yes those are trade prospects not FAs.

You get the point.
Reply/Quote