Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ted Karras
Dude is balling out right now. He’s giving us extremely high level play to go along with his leadership and football IQ. Easily my favorite Bengals OL since Whit. What a fantastic signing.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Him and Cappa have been worth their weight in gold. Awesome signings and just what we needed to solidify 40% of our OL. LC has been disappointing in the pass blocking department but he's been a killer run blocking. Volson has been a pleasant surprise.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I feel like this is the 3rd time I've read this exact same thread.

I was a little concerned how Karras would perform going into the season, but he has certainly far exceeded expectations.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:37 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I feel like this is the 3rd time I've read this exact same thread.

I was a little concerned how Karras would perform going into the season, but he has certainly far exceeded expectations.

I searched for a Karras thread before starting this one. The only even semi-recent topic that comes up is this:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Right-up-yours-Tennessee-F-U?page=8

Anyway, who cares?

Reply/Quote
Remember when so many were just absolutely positive that he was brought here to play LG?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember when so many were just absolutely positive that he was brought here to play LG?

It’s funny because he projected to be a better G, maybe he still would be even better. That said, he has held down the leadership role on the OL with flying colors.

What a stud.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:05 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It’s funny because he projected to be a better G, maybe he still would be even better.  That said, he has held down the leadership role on the OL with flying colors.  

What a stud.

Did he really, or was that just what some surmised as that was his first role before being transitioned to Center?  Because all of the footage that I saw of him playing Center told me that's what the Bengals wanted him to do for the Bengals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did he really, or was that just what some surmised as that was his first role before being transitioned to Center?  Because all of the footage that I saw of him playing Center told me that's what the Bengals wanted him to do for the Bengals.

Zac Taylor even came out and said "He was brought here to be our Center" and people still somehow thought we'd move him to guard and bring in "No Knees Tretter"
Reply/Quote
Remember when like 8.975% of our free agent signings out of 10 were very average players at best ? Karras, Reader, Awuzie and others have really been home runs.
Reply/Quote
Weird, because PFF ranks Karras as their 17th C this year. Is he just terrible in the run? Because Linderbaum for the Ravens is graded as 30 lower "true pass set" grade, but is the 7th ranked C as a rookie.

Really feels like PFF is inventing so many different stats and metrics that none of them mean anything anymore because you can always find one that says something else.

Karras has played pretty well, though, so I am pleased with that. I'm just starting to become a bit soured on PFF. Never took it as gospel, but it always was an interesting reference point. Now it seems to be losing even that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did he really, or was that just what some surmised as that was his first role before being transitioned to Center?  Because all of the footage that I saw of him playing Center told me that's what the Bengals wanted him to do for the Bengals.

An article from March 2022 -

There could still be some movement here. Karras has actually graded better as a left guard lately, so if the team were to add an upgrade at center in free agency or the draft, he’d slot over and this could look even better. They could also add a veteran guard from the market or draft an early-round rookie they like to play left guard, too.

Either way, it’s nice to see some of the numbers behind the hype of the team’s big spending in free agency. Upgrading three spots on a line that was one of the most obvious weak points in the NFL and surely earns the team an A grade for free agency.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:08 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Weird, because PFF ranks Karras as their 17th C this year. Is he just terrible in the run? Because Linderbaum for the Ravens is graded as 30 lower "true pass set" grade, but is the 7th ranked C as a rookie.

Really feels like PFF is inventing so many different stats and metrics that none of them mean anything anymore because you can always find one that says something else.

Karras has played pretty well, though, so I am pleased with that. I'm just starting to become a bit soured on PFF. Never took it as gospel, but it always was an interesting reference point. Now it seems to be losing even that.

The first couple years it was decent. Since then it gets a little worse each season. Last couple seasons it's gotten really bad. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember when like 8.975% of our free agent signings were very average players at best ? Karras, Reader, Awuzie and others have really been home runs.

Those you mentioned, plus Hilton, Bell, Hurst, Cappa, and Perine have been great additions. BJ Hill via trade was a good one too....and the year rental on Ogunjobi

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:13 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: An article from March 2022 -

There could still be some movement here. Karras has actually graded better as a left guard lately, so if the team were to add an upgrade at center in free agency or the draft, he’d slot over and this could look even better. They could also add a veteran guard from the market or draft an early-round rookie they like to play left guard, too.

Either way, it’s nice to see some of the numbers behind the hype of the team’s big spending in free agency. Upgrading three spots on a line that was one of the most obvious weak points in the NFL and surely earns the team an A grade for free agency.

Article from who?  Reads like one of those Cincyjungle type of pieces.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Zac Taylor even came out and said "He was brought here to be our Center" and people still somehow thought we'd move him to guard and bring in "No Knees Tretter"

Man, the number of times I'd see the name JC Tretter mentioned on here during the offseason was ridiculous. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: Those you mentioned, plus Hilton, Bell, Hurst, Cappa, and Perine have been great additions. BJ Hill via trade was a good one too....and the year rental on Ogunjobi

Yes sir, it's been a 100% turn around for the good on our free agent targets. 

On a side note Bell decleating Ju Ju is on my list of top 10 Bengals plays. I'd hate to say how many times I've watched that ?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember when like 8.975% of our free agent signings out of 10 were very average players at best ? Karras, Reader, Awuzie and others have really been home runs.

And Bell, and Hendrickson, and even Apple (value).  
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir, it's been a 100% turn around for the good on our free agent targets. 

On a side note Bell decleating Ju Ju is on my list of top 10 Bengals plays. I'd hate to say how many times I've watched that ?  Hilarious

I wonder if Bell ever had a snapshot of that moment put onto a Christmas Card and sent it to Ju Ju, just for old times sake?  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir, it's been a 100% turn around for the good on our free agent targets. 

Front office has been lights out on decision making in the last three years.  Cap management, coaching hires, free agents, draft.  Hell, even bringing on Elizabeth Blackburn.  Ring of Honor.  Oh yeah, can't forget the white tiger.  A few misses, but they have to be above 80%.  Very, very impressive.  And it puts us where we are -- legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Regarding your side note, I've been a fan since the beginning, and Vonn knocking that overrated dancing queen out of his ballet shoes is my #1 Bengals play ever.  The reason I wore a Burfict jersey was that he was the only guy we had who would speak to Pittsburgh in language they could understand.  Bell's hit was in the same category as a Vontaze mugging but within the rules.  That decleater basically said "Hey, we might not be good this year, but we're through taking crap from you and this is about to turn around."  It has turned around and they know it.

I'm another person who can't get enough of watching #24 turn Schmuster into a pinball.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Zac Taylor even came out and said "He was brought here to be our Center" and people still somehow thought we'd move him to guard and bring in "No Knees Tretter"

(12-14-2022, 10:25 AM)Garrus Wrote: Man, the number of times I'd see the name JC Tretter mentioned on here during the offseason was ridiculous. 

the knees thing isnt the reason. He was a locker room "distraction" because he tried to further unionize the players or something

I fully believe he was black balled
Reply/Quote