Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen with full ride to 20 colleges requests public apology from Fox affiliate
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/12/teen-full-ride-20-colleges-wants-apology-fox-tv/509973002/

Quote:A teen accepted to 20 colleges offering him full financial aid wants journalists at a Fox affiliate to apologize for calling his decision to apply to the schools "obnoxious." 

An anchor and contributor on Fox 5 in Washington, D.C., criticized Micheal Brown's decision to apply to 20 colleges in a segment airing April 3

Co-anchor Holly Morris and contributor Sarah Fraser called applying to that amount of schools "ridiculous." 

"It's a little ridiculous that this kid applied to 20 taking away a spot and basically waitlisting another kid," Fraser said on the show. 

"I think it's a little obnoxious because you can only go to one," Morris commented. “You can only take one full ride and you are taking a spot from someone else who worked really hard.”

Two days later, Micheal said he had a "respectful" interview with Morris, but he will not allow the segment to air until the station issues a public apology. "Where's the #humandecency?" he tweeted

Micheal's mother Berthinia Rutledge-Brown[/url] told USA TODAY that Morris never apologized and instead said "I didn't mean to offend you." They didn't receive an apology from the station either, she said. Fox 5 did not immediately return a request for comment from USA TODAY.
Rutledge-Brown said her son was truly hurt by the comments and she's "numb" over the situation.

[Image: DaMNt0tUwAAiMbx?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: LCponVal_normal.jpg]
NowThis

@nowthisnews

Here's a new one: Local Fox anchors criticized this Black teen for working TOO hard
12:48 PM - Apr 9, 2018

Frasersaid she has since told Micheal she's sorry for the comments. She has also apologized to his mother. 

"I have apologized to Micheal and he accepted my apology," Fraser said on Twitter. "Micheal's accomplishments aren’t up for debate. I have learned a valuable lesson."

Micheal, a black student who grew up in a poor area of Houston, defied odds with a 4.68 GPA at Lamar High School. Last week, a widely-shared video showed his enthusiastic reaction to being accepted into his dream school: Stanford University. He got a full ride. Spoiler: There was jumping. There was screaming. It was pure joy for all involved — including his mom. 

More: [url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/05/teen-offered-full-ride-20-universities-including-four-ivy-league-schools/490924002/]Teen offered full ride to 20 universities, including four Ivy League schools

It didn't stop there. Brown was accepted into and received full financial aid for 19 other colleges, including more Ivy League schools: Harvard University, Yale University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, Northwestern University, Georgetown University, Vanderbilt University, Johns Hopkins University, Pomona College, Claremont McKenna College, Williams College, University of Texas-Austin, University of California-Berkeley, Amherst, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Tulane University, University of Michigan, UC-Davis and UC-Irvine.

Rutledge-Brown said her son is currently deciding between Georgetown, Stanford, Harvard and Yale. He plans to announce his decision April 30. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Not sure why this double posted.  Won't let me delete it either.  
(04-12-2018, 11:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not sure why this double posted.  Won't let me delete it either.  

Go to full edit . You may need to refresh
Why does this kid need an apology? Some no name makes a dumb comment that only makes them look like a fool. An “apology” does nothing for him unless his is to humiliate the reporter. If so that is blatant bullying and the reporter should just call out his lame attempt out.

This kid is an idiot, he gives the reporter a chance to look good. While he looks like a jerk.
(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why does this kid need an apology?  Some no name makes a dumb comment that only makes them look like a fool.   An “apology” does nothing for him unless his is to humiliate the reporter.  If so that is blatant bullying and the reporter should just call out his lame attempt out.  

This kid is an idiot, he gives the reporter a chance to look good.  While he looks like a jerk.

A- That's the problem with the Fox news mentality, it should never be someone's opinion.
B- That's also a problem with society overall, that we're ok with whatever as long as it comes from "our" side.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why does this kid need an apology?  Some no name makes a dumb comment that only makes them look like a fool.   An “apology” does nothing for him unless his is to humiliate the reporter.  If so that is blatant bullying and the reporter should just call out his lame attempt out.

So an adult insulting him on television is nothing, but him asking for an apology so they can run an interview with him is bullying?

You need to work on your stories better.  

(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This kid is an idiot, he gives the reporter a chance to look good.  While he looks like a jerk.

He did indeed give the reporter a chance to look good. Decent people give others a chance to correct their mistakes and maybe learn from them.

(Hint, hint)
(04-13-2018, 09:20 AM)Benton Wrote: A- That's the problem with the Fox news mentality, it should never be someone's opinion.
B- That's also a problem with society overall, that we're ok with whatever as long as it comes from "our" side.

I don't know if it's really Fox News.  It's a Fox affiliate.  Our local Fox sounds like all the other local stations.  Blood, fluff and weather.  I doubt they'd like to be thought of as an extension of Fox News.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

"I think it's a little obnoxious because you can only go to one," Morris commented. “You can only take one full ride and you are taking a spot from someone else who worked really hard.”

High level of ignorance here. All top students apply to multiple schools. Once they select a school the other schools offer that slot to another applicant.
I'm not sure I understand why a supposedly conservative news outlet is going to bat for the people who aren't being treated fairly because they aren't in first place. If you don't want to have to be wait-listed while someone better than you is being interviewed, tough luck...you should have been better, right?

I only skimmed the thing, but I don't get it.
(04-13-2018, 09:27 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know if it's really Fox News.  It's a Fox affiliate.  Our local Fox sounds like all the other local stations.  Blood, fluff and weather.  I doubt they'd like to be thought of as an extension of Fox News.

It's not so much "Fox v Everyone Else" but more the "Fox Mentality v Jounalism."

Real journalists for years slammed Fox because of the opinions. Not just the bias, but the overt opinionism interjected mostly through adjectives. Watch Fox under the Bush years and news references to fighting in the ME were typically patriotic. "Brave troops today engaged murderous Muslims in SomeCityEndinginStan." The Obama years, the adjectives changed. "Fighting continues today for brave troops in SomeCityEndinginStan."

And it's slowly spread to where that's the norm. 

The last daily newsroom I was in, the biggest argument every day was over adjectives and adverbs. Young reporters want to use them to make their stories more interesting; veteran editors strike them.

I don't think this being a Fox affiliate has anything to do with it, but I do think the Fox mentality does.
(04-13-2018, 03:24 PM)Benton Wrote: It's not so much "Fox v Everyone Else" but more the "Fox Mentality v Jounalism."

Real journalists for years slammed Fox because of the opinions. Not just the bias, but the overt opinionism interjected mostly through adjectives. Watch Fox under the Bush years and news references to fighting in the ME were typically patriotic. "Brave troops today engaged murderous Muslims in SomeCityEndinginStan." The Obama years, the adjectives changed. "Fighting continues today for brave troops in SomeCityEndinginStan."

And it's slowly spread to where that's the norm. 

The last daily newsroom I was in, the biggest argument every day was over adjectives and adverbs. Young reporters want to use them to make their stories more interesting; veteran editors strike them.

I don't think this being a Fox affiliate has anything to do with it, but I do think the Fox mentality does.

I remember taking a mass media course in college around (1989-1990) where we had to write a headline/story with just facts.  We could not sensationalize or editorialize.  Only facts.

It was harder than it sounded at first, but it was good practice.

I tried to maintain that when I was writing news for the radio stations I worked at.  It was easier then because the stories were basically blurbs, maybe a paragraph or two.  And a lot of that was rewritten from the AP wire.

Ah, the good old days.... Smirk
Hell, if the parent/child is willing to pay the application fees then apply to as many as you wish.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-13-2018, 09:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: So an adult insulting him on television is nothing, but him asking for an apology so they can run an interview with him is bullying?

You need to work on your stories better.  

He did indeed give the reporter a chance to look good. Decent people give others a chance to correct their mistakes and maybe learn from them.

(Hint, hint)

Adult insulting a child just makes the adult look terrible.

The kid who wasn’t even affected bullying back insisting on an apology just shows this kid has no father or male in his life to tell him to suck it up and take the hit like a man.
(04-13-2018, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Adult insulting a child just makes the adult look terrible.  

So now bullying is bad again?

(04-13-2018, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The kid who wasn’t even affected bullying back insisting on an apology just shows this kid has no father or male in his life to tell him to suck it up and take the hit like a man.

You must have brown eyes you're so full of it.  You can't even acknowledge the role his MOTHER played in making him the bright, well raised young mad he is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/05/teen-offered-full-ride-20-universities-including-four-ivy-league-schools/490924002/

Quote:Brown largely credits his motivation to his mother, Berthinia.

“When I was in elementary school, I saw my mom graduate from community college and that just meant a lot to me,” explained Brown.

“Michael is my rainbow baby,” shared Berthinia. “I lost three babies before I had Michael. So, I just wanted to be the best mother that I could be to him. I wanted to make sure that he had stability.”

Michael was offered full rides to each and every school, plus $260,000 he’s earned in scholarships.

Michael hopes his accomplishment will serve as motivation to other kids in the Third Ward or wherever they may be.

“Be helpful. Dream big. Don’t be afraid,” Brown said. “Be proud of your family, love yourself, love your community and then share your story. Inspire other people to really reach for the stars and achieve their dreams.”

The kid was accepted, with full rides, to 20 colleges...including four ivy league schools.

While that may not have been the gym teacher program at the University of Cincinnati it certainly qualifies to make him a better "man" than someone who passes judgement on him from afar.

Quote:Adult insulting a child just makes the adult look terrible.

For once, I couldn't agree with you more.  ThumbsUp
(04-13-2018, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Adult insulting a child just makes the adult look terrible.  

The kid who wasn’t even affected bullying back insisting on an apology just shows this kid has no father or male in his life to tell him to suck it up and take the hit like a man.

Whoa Lucy, since when does a REAL MAN teach his son to just bend over and take it.

"Bullying back"--you cannot throw out such phrases without having fundamentally missed what happened here.
(04-16-2018, 07:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Whoa Lucy, since when does a REAL MAN teach his son to just bend over and take it.

"Bullying back"--you cannot throw out such phrases without having fundamentally missed what happened here.

1. Demanding/begging for an apology is a weak move. It’s what a beta does.

2. Had he called her an Idiot and just moved on he would still have the upper hand.

She would have been left looking weak.

My child would not be begging for/demanding an apology. You don’t beg/demand for an apology from someone who doesn’t respect you. It’s pointless. You just take away their air and make them Small.
(04-16-2018, 10:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Demanding/begging for an apology is a weak move.   It’s what a beta does.  

2. Had he called her an Idiot and just moved on he would still have the upper hand.  

She would have been left looking weak.  

My child would not be begging for/demanding an apology.  You don’t beg/demand for an apology from someone who doesn’t respect you.  It’s pointless.  You just take away their air and make them Small.

Demanding is not the same as begging.  And he asked for an apology that he received.  Continuously going after the student rather than the adults says a lot.

But then:

For some reason that doesn't seem to be sinking in yet.
(04-16-2018, 11:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: Demanding is not the same as begging.  And he asked for an apology that he received.  Continuously going after the student rather than the adults says a lot.

But then:

For some reason that doesn't seem to be sinking in yet.

There is zero reason to even go after an apology unless this random woman actually mattered in this kids life. Gotta toughen up, people are. Going to say negative things to him the rest of his life.

This is a life lesson better learned how to deflect the negative response of those who do Not matter. Instead of going after them looking for an apology when you know their apology is empty. Plus you just let them know they got to you.
I don't think the spin to make the kid look bad is going to work. No matter how hard people try. Time to stop attacking kids. This is an unfortunate phase in American politics by grown adults who should know better. We must do better. Or at least pick on people our own size.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(04-17-2018, 02:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: There is zero reason to even go after an apology unless this random woman actually mattered in this kids life.  Gotta toughen up, people are. Going to say negative things to him the rest of his life.  

This is a life lesson better learned how to deflect the negative response of those who do Not matter. Instead of going after them looking for an apology when you know their apology is empty.  Plus you just let them know they got to you.

A person with a public forum insulted him.

He then agreed to give them an interview as long as she apologized for insulting him.  She did.

That's the story.

Anyone attacking the student as "weak" and "beta" is probably just projecting.

But then those people probably are just jealous of what this student achieved while crediting his mother and not his father. 

Because: