Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling quote from Carson Palmer
(07-28-2015, 04:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Palmer has apparently answered the question a lot of us have been wondering for nearly five years: why did you leave the Bengals? Many thought it had a lot to do with the fan base. It appears as if that wasn't the case:

Palmer’s exit has been well documented. He demanded a trade before the 2011 season with four years left on his deal and sat out until they shipped him to Oakland in October and the Bengals haven’t missed the playoffs since. Palmer wasn’t happy with what he called “a lack of offseason moves,’ during his tenure, although the same administration has built a team that has averaged 10 wins since they drafted Andy Dalton to replace him.

“The Bengals have phenomenal fans. Everybody thought I had a problem with the fans,” Palmer says. “That was the biggest misconception. I get back to Cincinnati three times a year. I take my kids hunting there. I loved it there. There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

Well there we have it. Question answered... Although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were more to it that Carson's not telling us.

I remember the ownership giving palmer some of what he asked for
L Coles
a Bryant
R Kellie
J Palmer
100+ mil

wonder what he didnt get that he asked for.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 09:37 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: You're screwed if you don't buy the tickets or reserve your hotel room in advance.  That's why people plan things:  there past experiences of knowing if you don't make those arrangements in advance, most likely they won't work out.  And as you said, you could very easily be dead next year.  Why would someone who is going to be dead plan a vacation?  (Hypothetically speaking of course.)

If the future already exists, then I'm a billionaire, I just haven't made a billion dollars yet.

See how absurd that sounds?  
That does sound absurd. Glad I didn't suggest it. How much money you do/do not have and when doesn't affect whether the future does/doesn't exist.

If the future doesn't exist then there is no future. If there is no future, why plan for anything?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 03:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That does sound absurd. Glad I didn't suggest it. How much money you do/do not have and when doesn't affect whether the future does/doesn't exist.

If the future doesn't exist then there is no future. If there is no future, why plan for anything?

The future hasn't happened yet.  Therefore, the future doesn't exist in any meaningful definition of the word.  Things that don't exist can't be the impetus for your actions today.  Planning involves your present-day thoughts on what you ANTICIPATE may or may not occur in the future (a point in time that has yet to occur, and may never even occur).
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 02:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I remember the ownership giving palmer some of what he asked for
L Coles
a Bryant
R Kellie
J Palmer
100+ mil

Improvements to the practice facilities and some coaching changes.

Not that hard.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like it or not, this is exactly how a lot of people feel. A Bengals beat reporter even said last year that seasons are becoming tainted by the focus on the playoff losses. Unfortunately, that's the #1 thing our team is known for right now: playoff disappointment. That's undeniable really. I'm glad that you are able to ignore the giant elephant in the room and 100% enjoy the Bengals' wins without thinking about their playoff failures, but this isn't the case for many people.

When I went to a game last year we won.  Everyone seemed pretty happy to me.  In fact i didn't see a single person whining about how it didn't matter because we might lose a playoff game.  

Everyone in the stands cheered when we scored.  No one said, "Bah.  Who cares?  I can't enjoy any of this because we might possibly lose in the playoffs."

I am calling BS on people not being happy with regular season wins.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 02:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I remember the ownership giving palmer some of what he asked for
L Coles
a Bryant
R Kellie
J Palmer
100+ mil

I don't remember Carson asking for Coles or Bryant.  I thought R Kellie was trapped in the closet.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 04:23 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: The future hasn't happened yet.  Therefore, the future doesn't exist in any meaningful definition of the word.  Things that don't exist can't be the impetus for your actions today.  Planning involves your present-day thoughts on what you ANTICIPATE may or may not occur in the future (a point in time that has yet to occur, and may never even occur).

You keep using the word "future."  Why? 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 05:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't remember Carson asking for Coles or Bryant.  I thought R Kellie was trapped in the closet.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/134897-carson-palmer-personally-recruited-laveranues-coles-to-come-play-for-the-bengals

Quote:The moment Laveranues Coles hit the market, Palmer kept pushing to motivate his head coach to lobby for Coles' services in the wake of Houshmandzadeh's departure.
Quote:When the Bengals began moving with negotiations to sign Coles, Palmer called Laveranues himself. He told him how important he felt it would be for him to sign with the Bengals.
Coles stated that Palmer's involvement had a lot to do with his desire to want to play in Cincinnati.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 05:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You keep using the word "future."  Why? 

Hasn't that been the topic of discussion?  
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 05:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/134897-carson-palmer-personally-recruited-laveranues-coles-to-come-play-for-the-bengals

Well, learned something today.  Thanks.  I knew he lobbied for Housh, but the team didn't listen to Carson.  Shocking a quitter would try to recruit free agents to come to Cincy.  I think in the end, the Bengals paid the same amount to Housh's replacements they would have paid Housh had they re-signed him.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 06:16 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Hasn't that been the topic of discussion?  

Just wondering why you keep referencing something which doesn't exist and we both know what you're referring to even though it doesn't exist.

Do thoughts or ideas exist?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 07:31 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just wondering why you keep referencing something which doesn't exist and we both know what you're referring to even though it doesn't exist.

Do thoughts or ideas exist?

Unicorns don't exist either and yet we both know what I'm referring to.  Or perhaps they do and we just haven't seen them yet?

That sort of fits with your definition of the word "exists".
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the logic I just don't understand. "Lets be happy they're making it to the playoffs".

As if the playoff mean something when you're getting bounced in convincing fashion every single time.

The point of the playoffs in to win in the playoffs. If you never win, is there a point?

Like it or not, this is exactly how a lot of people feel. A Bengals beat reporter even said last year that seasons are becoming tainted by the focus on the playoff losses. Unfortunately, that's the #1 thing our team is known for right now: playoff disappointment. That's undeniable really. I'm glad that you are able to ignore the giant elephant in the room and 100% enjoy the Bengals' wins without thinking about their playoff failures, but this isn't the case for many people.

If you got to drive a Ferrari 4 times and each time it ended with a wreck, would you thoroughly enjoy the 5th drive? Or would all those crashes be in the back of your mind, tainting your enjoyment?

Absolutely !

The spin doctors argument makes no sense. Sure we enjoy regular season wins, but we want more.

The goal of every team every year is to win the super bowl - period. Anything less is a failure ! You're going to fail more often than not with 32 teams in the hunt. And sure some measure of success - regular season wins has to be good enough at times. But when you never show any progress i.e. being able to move forward in the playoffs,  by at least even looking like you belong is unacceptable !

If we had to this point, just won a damn playoff game we would be moving forward and have some hope for the future. Our hope is jerked out from under us every winter when we get our asses handed to us in the exact same way we have every single time ! No improvement

Even if we go 16-0 this season and then crap our pants and get thumped in the 1st playoff game the season was a failure. I don't care how it's spinned.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 09:51 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Unicorns don't exist either and yet we both know what I'm referring to.  Or perhaps they do and we just haven't seen them yet?

That sort of fits with your definition of the word "exists".

Unicorns are fictional creatures. Folk lore. Mythology. Do you believe the future is fictional, folk lore, or mythology?

Again, do thoughts and ideas exist?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 05:56 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Planning for the future is the action that is caused by your present knowledge of knowing that if you don't you will more than likely be screwed.  

The future doesn't exist yet, therefore it can't be the cause of any action you take today.  Once new information is known, you can then adjust your actions accordingly.  

You and Fred need to stop it.

I'm leaving for Florida in about 10 days. I've changed the spark plugs, plug wires and done other work on the car, in preparation for the trip. As well as doing several other things. The future is effecting what i've been doing for several days now.

Now if you both want to say 'what eventually happens in the future cannot effect the present' you'd be right. But no one would argue that silly specific point. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 06:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I used "currently" intentionally to indicate a decision made in the present based upon the future. Even though I am "currently" making a decision based upon the future in the present, it doesn't lessen the impact of the future upon my decision making.

Fred suffers from paralysis by analysis. He doesn't support any coaching changes because things might get worse . . . in the future. That is true. Hell, damn near every situation might get worse. Things could also improve. If what you have been doing for years hasn't helped you attain your goal things probably aren't going to get any better all on their own. So in any situation if Fred's plan wasn't working he wouldn't modify the plan because things might get worse even though the current plan clearly isn't working.

So are you saying the past effects his future because his present is much better than his past and the future could be worse, like the past?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 04:23 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: The future hasn't happened yet.  Therefore, the future doesn't exist in any meaningful definition of the word.  Things that don't exist can't be the impetus for your actions today.  Planning involves your present-day thoughts on what you ANTICIPATE may or may not occur in the future (a point in time that has yet to occur, and may never even occur).

The future 100% exists. You know how i know? As i'm typing these words, it's your and my present. When you read it, it will be the past. But as of this exact moment i'm typing, you won't read it until the future. 

You're arguing that the specific results of the future cannot effect what you're doing right now because it's not known yet. I'll bet you a million dollars that no one here would argue that point.

Reply/Quote
Just when you thought the boards couldn't get any more silly

[Image: back-to-the-future-.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 12:09 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The future 100% exists. You know how i know? As i'm typing these words, it's your and my present. When you read it, it will be the past. But as of this exact moment i'm typing, you won't read it until the future. 

You're arguing that the specific results of the future cannot effect what you're doing right now because it's not known yet. I'll bet you a million dollars that no one here would argue that point.

Likewise, how could something I won't read until the future have any impact on my actions now?  Planning is something done in the past and present and the cause is the fact that you made plans in the past or present to do something.  The cause isn't the future it is as a result of decisions already established.  Otherwise you wouldn't be making plans.

Cause:  Decided to go on a trip
Effect:  Plan for trip.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 12:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just when you thought the boards couldn't get any more silly

[Image: back-to-the-future-.jpg]

I would never bet against the boards continued silliness.

Reply/Quote