Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
The 49er fumble and the reffs
It must suck to be a player in some regards because the players have to contain their emotions this season since the refs are consistent about calling taunting. If you make a big play on the field it's best to not look at the opposition, move toward them, gesture at them, speak to them, or take any action perceived as taunting. It has to be hard on players since football is a high energy game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 10:50 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: It was not taunting.  Bell was joking with the dude.  The ref was right there and look at the stare down to Bell when he threw the flag.  If they call this, then they have to call at least the standing over/getting in Mixon's face.  There is just no consistency and they Bengals always seem to be on the wrong end of it.

Go look at Reader's response to the taunt.

https://twitter.com/Djread98/status/1470212018024157189

The 9ers player was laughing and reached out for Bell. You could tell they were cutting up. MB needs to demand an explaination from the league why that was called and they 9er getting up in Mixon's grill after tackling him was not called.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 11:18 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dont leave anything out there that can look like taunting i dont care what he was saying or doing.... It got called so he needs to be smarter.

Its not been a big issue for the bengals as we are one of the least penalized teams this year.

I'm sorry but this response has to be a joke.  The penalty is "taunting".  The NFL rulebook states, "use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams."  You just admitted that Bell did not have "ill will" and therefore is not a penalty per the official rules.  So now the players can't do anything that "may" be interpreted as taunting?  That is so vague that it is unenforceable.

Couple this with teams running to the endzone to celebrate a turnover, standing over opponents, looking at the other team for too long, etc. and this means the refs have absolutely no way to properly/consistently call this
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 03:37 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'm sorry but this response has to be a joke.  The penalty is "taunting".  The NFL rulebook states, "use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams."  You just admitted that Bell did not have "ill will" and therefore is not a penalty per the official rules.  So now the players can't do anything that "may" be interpreted as taunting?  That is so vague that it is unenforceable.

Couple this with teams running to the endzone to celebrate a turnover, standing over opponents, looking at the other team for too long, etc. and this means the refs have absolutely no way to properly/consistently call this

it's a totally subjective rule, which puts the game in the hands of the officials
Reply/Quote
It is subjective and the refs are exercising their authority to throw the flag as they see fit. It's not a surprise at this point and is consistently taking place from week to week. I'm personally not a fan, but the reality is players have to be extra cautious to avoid hurting the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 03:37 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'm sorry but this response has to be a joke.  The penalty is "taunting".  The NFL rulebook states, "use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams."  You just admitted that Bell did not have "ill will" and therefore is not a penalty per the official rules.  So now the players can't do anything that "may" be interpreted as taunting?  That is so vague that it is unenforceable.

i said it doesnt matter what he did or say it matters how it was perceived....  dont leave it open for the refs to interrupt do your job line back up... 
Reply/Quote
They need to eliminate forward progress give all players same protection as a QB you have the option of sliding and giving youself up otherwise unless your driven back 5 yards forward progress should be eliminated. As a fan I had no problem with the officiating except for a hold on a incomplete pass where it was already 3rd down and we more than likely declined anyway. Bell was stupid. Dont blame the officials for his stupidity official was doing his job
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 10:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He really wasn't taunting him. They even said on Sirius today that Bell and the player he pointed to were just having a good time laughing. I believe the word they used for that call was "STUPID"

Just think the refs are going to call this every single time a player points at another after making a play.

Don't necessarily agree with this but refs have consistently called this call all year long.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 09:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Just think the refs are going to call this every single time a player points at another after making a play.

Don't necessarily agree with this but refs have consistently called this call all year long.  

They sure missed throwing the flag when the 9er LBer or Safety got in Mixon's grill after tackling him.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 01:47 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Y'all sound like Browns fans.

Yep.  The ref's are always out to get the Bengals.  The league darlings always get the calls.  Good grief.
Reply/Quote
Bills fans are putting their money where their officiating anger is after the perceived botched calls in last Sunday's game. In increments of $17 (Josh Allen's #) and $14 (Stefon Diggs #) due to a DPI in the endzone not being called, they are donating money to the Visually Impaired Advancement organization so they can help those poor blind referees They have raised over $40,000

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I don't think Chase caught the ball, and I don't think the guy fumbled. The taunting call was terrible and led to a 49er TD. That directly impacted the game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 01:42 PM)pally Wrote: Bills fans are putting their money where their officiating anger is after the perceived botched calls in last Sunday's game.  In increments of $17 (Josh Allen's #) and $14 (Stefon Diggs #) due to a DPI in the endzone not being called, they are donating money to the Visually Impaired Advancement organization so they can help those poor blind referees They have raised over $40,000

Bills fans love to donate.

Reply/Quote
The NFL did not fine Vonn Bell for his taunting penalty. That is a penalty that has consistently received a fine this season. Could be a tacit admission that the penalty was uncalled for

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote