Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals have't won a playoff game since modern free agency was instituted
Modern free agency began in the NFL in 1992. Before that, players had great restrictions for leaving teams and it didn't happen as much.

The Bengals have not won a playoff game since the 1990 season.

I believe these 2 events are highly correlated. 26 years and counting of not winning a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Yep, Mikey Brown and his outdated lines of thinking. The man probably thinks a Hershey bar still costs a nickel.

Actually, I wish the NFL would bring those restrictions back. Far too many players know jack about loyalty and are all too happy to chase the almighty dollar. Would be interesting, to say the least
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep, Mikey Brown and his outdated lines of thinking. The man probably thinks a Hershey bar still costs a nickel.

Actually, I wish the NFL would bring those restrictions back. Far too many players know jack about loyalty and are all too happy to chase the almighty dollar. Would be interesting, to say the least

Agreed. They just haven't adapted.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals motto is building for 2 to 3 years from now thru the draft, and making sure they have sustained success over time thru the draft.

Problem is, they aren't great at drafts.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's no coincidence that the Bengals haven't won a single playoff game since modern free agency began in 1992.

A team like the Bills singed 22 free agents this offseason and 3-0 start. Kudos to Buffalo for trying to improve.

Yet...here we are: The narrative in the forum over the offseason was that there was no free agents worth spending on. Guys like Pratt and Jefferson would upgrade us at LB. Well that has failed so far.
Reply/Quote
Here we go with the thread necro’s...

Reply/Quote
Free agents are nothing more than a myth, you know like half time adjustments.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The Bengals motto is building for 2 to 3 years from now thru the draft, and making sure they have sustained success over time thru the draft.

Problem is, they aren't great at drafts.

Explains why they don’t shy away from drafting injured players in the first.
Reply/Quote
Green Bay hit the jack pot with free agents This year.
Reply/Quote
Basically we haven’t been cool since vanilla ice and MC hammer were
Reply/Quote
BW Webb, Kerry Wynn, and John Jerry have blown the HINGES off of this league so far though...
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep, Mikey Brown and his outdated lines of thinking. The man probably thinks a Hershey bar still costs a nickel.

They'd probably get angry and start kneeling again. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
Oh C'mon..everyone knows that having good players with solid track records isn't the way to win championships. No, the only way to win championships is through retaining so-so players, paying them way to much and pretending that by continuing to do the same thing over and over, things that don't work will pay off in the long run. 
The problem with us as Bengals fans is we just don't pray hard enough for Mike Brown to become smart enough.. See how that works? 
Sing along if you know the words.. Heavenly father please, pretty please with sugar on top make Mike Brown smarter.. It'll work if only we believe enough.. See? It's our lack of faith in Mikey that causes all our problems.. Jeeesh! 
And all this time you guys just thought the problem was that they just sucked as a team..with a sucky team owner. Nope! Lack of faith in Mikey.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:13 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Green Bay hit the jack pot with free agents This year.

Well we'll see how those pick ups look 3 years from now on 2019...

Wait... This digging up old duds of a thread shit is confusing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Modern free agency began in the NFL in 1992. Before that, players had great restrictions for leaving teams and it didn't happen as much.

The Bengals have not won a playoff game since the 1990 season.

I believe these 2 events are highly correlated. 26 years and counting of not winning a playoff game.

I've been saying this for many years now.  The Bengals have not won a Play-Off game since Paul Brown died. 

Paul Brown won in high school, won at National Championship at Ohio State, Won the NFL Championship with Cleveland Browns which was the Super Bowl back then.  It was not the NFC Championship, there was no NFC.  It was the NFL just as all teams since 1970 have been NFL. All Super Bowls from 1970 on have been the NFL Championship which Paul Brown in Cleveland won a few times in the 1950's.  As owner of Bengals and GM they went to 2 NFL Championships renamed as Super Bowls. 

Then Paul Brown died.  No more play-off wins as his kids, grand kids, son in laws, and all forms of nepotism took over.   The problem was Paul Brown was the one that knew football, and his kids knew law school.  So one of the Great Football Legends in Ohio History and a legend in high school coaching, college coaching, NFL coaching and ownership DIED.   The Bengals were then taken over by his law school family but none of them, not a single one of them makes a good pimple on Paul Browns rear end when it comes to knowing football.  They know law school, they do not know football.   

The true owner of no play-off wins since 1990 is Mike Brown who took over when his dad died.  Many coaches and players have come and gone in the 3 decades of play-off futility, bot the one constant has been Mike Brown in 1991 and still at the helm in 2019.  

So the 2 decades of Bengals under Hall Of Fame Paul Brown were pretty good.  The 3 decades of Bengals under his son Mike Brown, not very good.  Early on the Bengals even had Paul Browns son and Don Shulas son and it gives perfect meaning to the saying, " The Apple Falling Too Far From The Tree ".  

We can look at a million reasons.  There is only one reason.  Paul Brown died who was a football legend, and his family of non football lawyers took over. 

Being a Fan who saw Paul Brown work the sidelines in 1968 and on. I can say without a doubt that when Paul Brown died, this franchise has never been as good and often Mike Brown deserved the name BUNGLES, not Bengals. Hang the name BUNGLES on Mike Brown, for he is the one who took what his dad built up and reduced it to excrement. I've seen many kids ruin the business dear old Dad built up, and Mike Brown is one of them.

Good Example : PAUL BROWN built many great offensive lines including 1980's Bengals great O-Line. Then he Died. Mike Brown the lawyer said, " Why should I pay offensive linemen " and we saw players such as Max Montoya go to other teams in early 1990's. It is no different in late 2010's as we saw players such as Zeitler and Whitworth go as Mike Brown still said in media, " Why should I pay offensive linemen ? ". So Paul Brown knew why but his lawyer son never figured out why you need blocking.

Paul Brown was a Football Book, and Mike Brown is a Law Book. There is a difference.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:42 AM)kevin Wrote: I've been saying this for many years now.  The Bengals have not won a Play-Off game since Paul Brown died. 

Paul Brown won in high school, won at National Championship at Ohio State, Won the NFL Championship with Cleveland Browns which was the Super Bowl back then.  It was not the NFC Championship, there was no NFC.  It was the NFL just as all teams since 1970 have been NFL. All Super Bowls from 1970 on have been the NFL Championship which Paul Brown in Cleveland won a few times in the 1950's.  As owner of Bengals and GM they went to 2 NFL Championships renamed as Super Bowls. 

Then Paul Brown died.  No more play-off wins as his kids, grand kids, son in laws, and all forms of nepotism took over.   The problem was Paul Brown was the one that knew football, and his kids knew law school.  So one of the Great Football Legends in Ohio History and a legend in high school coaching, college coaching, NFL coaching and ownership DIED.   The Bengals were then taken over by his law school family but none of them, not a single one of them makes a good pimple on Paul Browns rear end when it comes to knowing football.  They know law school, they do not know football.   

The true owner of no play-off wins since 1990 is Mike Brown who took over when his dad died.  Many coaches and players have come and gone in the 3 decades of play-off futility, bot the one constant has been Mike Brown in 1991 and still at the helm in 2019.  

So the 2 decades of Bengals under Hall Of Fame Paul Brown were pretty good.  The 3 decades of Bengals under his son Mike Brown, not very good.  Early on the Bengals even had Paul Browns son and Don Shulas son and it gives perfect meaning to the saying, " The Apple Falling Too Far From The Tree ".  

We can look at a million reasons.  There is only one reason.  Paul Brown died who was a football legend, and his family of non football lawyers took over. 

Being a Fan who saw Paul Brown work the sidelines in 1968 and on.  I can say without a doubt that when Paul Brown died, this franchise has never been as good and often Mike Brown deserved the name BUNGLES, not Bengals.  Hang the name BUNGLES on Mike Brown, for he is the one who took what his dad built up and reduced it to excrement.   I've seen many kids ruin the business dear old Dad built up,  and Mike Brown is one of them.

Good Example :  PAUL BROWN built many great offensive lines including 1980's Bengals great O-Line.  Then he Died.  Mike Brown the lawyer said, " Why should I pay offensive linemen "  and we saw players such as Max Montoya go to other teams in early 1990's.   It is no different in late 2010's as we saw players such as Zeitler and Whitworth go as Mike Brown still said in media, "  Why should I pay offensive linemen ? ".    So Paul Brown knew why but his lawyer son never figured out why you need blocking.

Paul Brown was a Football Book,  and Mike Brown is a Law Book.   There is a difference.

The league changed in 1992 with modern free agency and the Bengals are basically single-handedly fighting that.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's no coincidence that the Bengals haven't won a single playoff game since modern free agency began in 1992.

A team like the Bills singed 22 free agents this offseason and 3-0 start. Kudos to Buffalo for trying to improve.

Yet...here we are: The narrative in the forum over the offseason was that there was no free agents worth spending on. Guys like Pratt and Jefferson would upgrade us at LB. Well that has failed so far.

To be fair, it's not like we've seen Pratt play poorly. He just hasn't been put on the field much. 
It's easy to assume the reason is because he's not good enough to play over Vigil or Brown but there's no proof to that assumption until we can actually see Pratt play.

I agree though, they could have done more to help the team. Out of all the positions, they seemed to have neglected LB the most. Some might say, "What about OL?" and to that I say, "They tried addressing it with the top OT in the 1st round and a 4th round OG but both are hurt, plus Boling retired and Glenn is hurt."

At least with OL, injuries can be an excuse. There isn't any excuse for the LB performance. Tem Lukabu sure hasn't impressed me yet, but I can't really blame him when he's essentially rolling with the former crew's players aside from drafting Germaine Pratt. Some might put blame on him for the team re-signing Preston Brown, but he was just hired just a couple weeks before FA began.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, it's not like we've seen Pratt play poorly. He just hasn't been put on the field much. 
It's easy to assume the reason is because he's not good enough to play over Vigil or Brown but there's no proof to that assumption until we can actually see Pratt play.

I agree though, they could have done more to help the team. Out of all the positions, they seemed to have neglected LB the most. Some might say, "What about OL?" and to that I say, "They tried addressing it with the top OT in the 1st round and a 4th round OG but both are hurt, plus Boling retired and Glenn is hurt."

At least with OL, injuries can be an excuse. There isn't any excuse for the LB performance. Tem Lukabu sure hasn't impressed me yet, but I can't really blame him when he's essentially rolling with the former crew's players aside from drafting Germaine Pratt. Some might put blame on him for the team re-signing Preston Brown, but he was just hired just a couple weeks before FA began.

So why not play Pratt more? We see Brown and Vigil playing bad. Why not play Pratt?

re: Boling retiring - They knew he was retiring BEFORE the draft. The Glenn injury is fair. Who knew he'd miss this long.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So why not play Pratt more? We see Brown and Vigil playing bad. Why not play Pratt?

re: Boling retiring - They knew he was retiring BEFORE the draft. The Glenn injury is fair. Who knew he'd miss this long.

And the Bengals drafted Michael Jordan, which was a head scratcher to fans since they had Boling, Miller, and Westerman, and re-signed Hopkins and Redmond.
So if they knew before the draft, they did try to address it in the draft.
And they tried to address it after the draft by shifting Glenn to LG and then signing Jerry.

As for Pratt, we don't know that answer. What I can say is Pratt saw 10 snaps on defense against BUF, so he's trending to seeing more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: And the Bengals drafted Michael Jordan, which was a head scratcher to fans since they had Boling, Miller, and Westerman, and re-signed Hopkins and Redmond.
So if they knew before the draft, they did try to address it in the draft.
And they tried to address it after the draft by shifting Glenn to LG and then signing Jerry.

As for Pratt, we don't know that answer. What I can say is Pratt saw 10 snaps on defense against BUF, so he's trending to seeing more.

Throwing a 4th Round pick at an issue at starter isn't going to get the issue done most years...unless that draft pick is Russell Bodine.  Hilarious 

I think the fact that Pratt hasn't replaced one of those guys is partially the answer.
Reply/Quote