Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals should be actively exploring trades...
(10-27-2022, 03:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Higgins was hurt for the better part of 2 games though, which means a WR4 would only see those snaps in an injury sitch.

And what's the odds that none of Chase/Higgins/Boyd get hurt, injured, or even dinged up mid-game for the rest of the season? 

Chiefs just spent a 2nd round pick in the 2022 draft on a 4th WR and still just traded for Kadarius Toney. 
Last year the Rams probably don't win the Superbowl when Robert Woods went down if they hadn't already traded for OBJ prior.

Plus if you get a good 4th WR, you'll just find snaps for them. None of those top-3 play 100% of the offensive snaps anyway.

(10-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: been down this road before.. look at the stats for WR4 across the league, they barely get touches.. sure we might be getting less touches but when you are 4th-6th option the WR tree you are not much of a target on a play, also Thomas is one of our best blockers so he is in more to block than anything which does add value 

If we are going to trade (giving up draft capital) for someone to contribute to the team this year, it is not  at 4WR... I could see TE though the more i think about it

There's a lot of bad QBs/bad passing offenses that I don't care about. I don't care what the 4th WRs are on non-passing offenses like Daniel Jones/Lamar Jackson/Zach Wilson/Justin Fields. I don't care what the 4th WRs are on teams getting top-5 or top-10 picks. They're probably not even having their WR2s and WR3s putting up good numbers. I care about the good teams because that's what the Bengals are/are aiming to be.

2021 Playoff Teams 4th WRs
Bills: Gabriel Davis 35/549/6
Raiders: Zay Jones 47/546/1
Chiefs: Demarcus Robinson 25/264/3
Steelers: Ray-Ray McCloud 39/277/0
Titans: Chester Rodgers 30/301/1
Cowboys: Cedrick Wilson Jr 45/602/6
Eagles: Greg Ward 7/95/3
Patriots: N'Keal Harry 12/184/0
Packers: Randall Cobb 28/375/5
Buccaneers: Tyler Johnson 36/360/0
Rams: DeSean Jackson 8/221/1 and Odell Beckham Jr 27/305/5 (traded one and signed the other halfway in)
Cardinals: Rondale Moore 54/435/1
49ers: Mohamed Sanu 15/177/0

Bengals: Mike Thomas 5/52/0

Non-Bengals Average: 
31.4 catches
360.8 yards
2.5 TDs

The 3 non-Bengal playoff teams that had their 4th WR get less than 250 yards (Eagles, 49ers, Patriots) had the 1st, 7th, and 8th rushing offenses. The Bengals don't have a good enough rushing game to not rely on heavily passing the ball.

The Bengals simply got lucky last year that Chase/Higgins/Boyd managed to play in most of the games. We've seen what happened this year when a WR gets hurt. The Bengals are 0-2 this year when Mike Thomas plays more than 33% of the snaps, and were 0-1 last year in the same situation. In his career his teams are 1-7 when he plays more than a third of the offensive snaps.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Was pounding the table for christian mccaffrey but everyone thought I was nuts. I know Mc is often injured but damn just imagine our backfield. Other than playcalling, it’s the backfield holding this offense back. Get a guy that can make shit happen from time to time unlike Mixons 3 yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
I’d trade for a solid DE, corner, and probably WR. But only if the Wr is a blow the top off the D type of guy. Don’t really need another possession guy.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Well we may be in the market for another WR... depending on how long Chase goes on the IR. Not sure if Tee is ready for a full work load as he still seems to be banged up
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
With Chase out indefinitely and Higgins struggling with injury, they have to do something now....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
OBJ isn't going to be ready until December so I am not sure he is a candidate here but if it's longer than that he makes sense. I am curious about Will Fuller in FA as a vertical threat makes sense. Trade market is interesting but I am not sure what makes sense if it is only 4-6 weeks. If it COULD be longer we should be in potentially on a vet on an expiring contract for a late day 3 pick.
Reply/Quote
Bengals need a player that can stretch the field at the very least.... use a 5-7th round pick and get it done.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 05:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: OBJ isn't going to be ready until December so I am not sure he is a candidate here but if it's longer than that he makes sense. I am curious about Will Fuller in FA as a vertical threat makes sense. Trade market is interesting but I am not sure what makes sense if it is only 4-6 weeks. If it COULD be longer we should be in potentially on a vet on an expiring contract for a late day 3 pick.

The guy that made the most sense just got traded to the Chiefs. Kadarius Toney could have filled in this year and competed for a spot against Boyd next year. Was a fairly cheap deal too like a 3rd and a day 3 pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Never a good time for an injury to your best receiving weapon, but it does help that it was right before the trade deadline.
Get someone in now before the deadline so they can start ramping up and help cover for the likely next 4-6 weeks that Chase will be out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 05:57 PM)Synric Wrote: The guy that made the most sense just got traded to the Chiefs. Kadarious Toney could have filled in this year and competed for a spot against Boyd next year. Was a fairly cheap deal too like a 3rd and a day 3 pick.

Think the Lions would be willing to part with Josh Reynolds?

He'd be a good fill-in, Taylor is familiar with him from time with Rams, he's playing on the worst team in the league, and he won't cost much $$ through 2023.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It'll be interesting to see if we do anything, but even if we want to so something I fully expect the "We are happy moving forward with the guys we have now" statement to drop first.
Reply/Quote
What’s plan B. Get Gronk out of retirement. He likes Burrow.
Go double TE like New England. Hurst and Gronk. Let’s get it. Who Dey
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 12:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Carter hasn't looked great other than a couple flashes last week. 

Sorry, but I'm just not ready to rely on unproven rookies for a Super Bowl run. We need some proven quantities. 

Why would we not look to upgrade the team? Make a splash and get an elite guy for our defense. We don't necessarily need picks right now....teams overvalue picks anyway. 

[Image: tacos-de.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 05:57 PM)Synric Wrote: The guy that made the most sense just got traded to the Chiefs. Kadarius Toney could have filled in this year and competed for a spot against Boyd next year. Was a fairly cheap deal too like a 3rd and a day 3 pick.

There are rumors KJ Hammler could be had, I'd kick the tires there for sure. Also, Brandon Cooks as always is being talked about as a potential trade target. If I could get him for a 4th or less I'd be all over that.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 06:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: There are rumors KJ Hammler could be had, I'd kick the tires there for sure. Also, Brandon Cooks as always is being talked about as a potential trade target. If I could get him for a 4th or less I'd be all over that.

Yea. Brandin Cooks makes the most sense right now but he's a guy I'm betting is drawing alot of interest from WR needy teams. 

Honestly the Kendrick Pryor cut is looming large to me right now... 4.3 guy with some talent that showed up in PS.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 06:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea. Brandin Cooks makes the most sense right now but he's a guy I'm betting is drawing alot of interest from WR needy teams. 

Honestly the Kendrick Pryor cut is looming large to me right now... 4.3 guy with some talent that showed up in PS.

No shit.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 06:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea. Brandin Cooks makes the most sense right now but he's a guy I'm betting is drawing alot of interest from WR needy teams. 

Pryor does nothing for me as a Chase replacement. I am not banking on an UDFA to carry a large load for 4-6 weeks and maybe beyond. We need a vet because of the lack of depth behind our now starting 2, if one of those goes down we are really screwed (especially if it's Higgins). 

Usually you can get a solid vet on an expiring deal or close to it for a 4th.
Reply/Quote

B Cooks has a lot of money on the...books

too high of an asking price. Cincy is gonna get a clear #3 to Tee and Boyd
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: been down this road before.. look at the stats for WR4 across the league, they barely get touches.. sure we might be getting less touches but when you are 4th-6th option the WR tree you are not much of a target on a play, also Thomas is one of our best blockers so he is in more to block than anything which does add value 

If we are going to trade (giving up draft capital) for someone to contribute to the team this year, it is not  at 4WR... I could see TE though the more i think about it

Sure would be nice to have a productive NFL caliber player as the #4 WR right now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 03:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Prince was easily arguable worse than Carman last year...how is he a proven commodity but Carman isn't?
Prince can easily be replaced.
Same with Adeniji.

They both started the Super Bowl. No one's saying good... bad or otherwise. Just proven. The devil(s) they know. Adeniji came in for Collins last week and put up a clean sheet and the line's best PFF score. Replaceable? Sure. Disposable? Lol no. 

Carman hasn't gotten a whiff, presumably because they don't trust him. They slotted a R4 rookie out of the FCS ahead of him. There is no comparison. 
Reply/Quote