Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Best Defensive Coordinator in History is Already in Cincinnati
It’s Marvin Lewis.

His 2000 Ravens’ defense gave up an average of 9.4 points per game.

That’s sick. Let that number sink in for a minute.

Let him work with the Cincinnati defense for the rest of the season and let’s see what happens. I’m not saying he’ll turn Vontaze Burfict into Ray Lewis or Jessie Bates into Ed Reed or Geno Atkins into Tony Siragusa but let’s get real: Marvin needs to effectively function as the defensive coordinator until the Front Office finds someone like Mike Zimmer who pisses sulfuric acid and poops napalm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know. Marvin is so far removed from being a "hands on" coach, working directly with players and teaching scheme and technique, for so long that I'm not sure that would even work. These days, he's more of an administrative figurehead.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know. Marvin is so far removed from being a "hands on" coach, working directly with players and teaching scheme and technique, for so long that I'm not sure that would even work. These days, he's more of an administrative figurehead.

Those are excellent points as usual but I just want to see a third down stop before the season ends. I’m that desperate.
Reply/Quote
It makes zero sense that our D is this bad. Ok our LBers aren't great but after that we've got some decent players, a couple great.

The coaching, the practice, the scheme, the playcalling, and most importantly the tone of this defense is all wrong. You can't completely take away a defense's aggressiveness playing soft the entire game and expect good results.

How ML can stand by and watch this is dumbfounding ?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It makes zero sense that our D is this bad. Ok are LBers aren't great but after that we've got some decent players, a couple great.

The coaching, the practice, the scheme, the playcalling, and most importantly the tone of this defense is all wrong. You can't completely take away a defense's aggressiveness playing soft the entire game and expect good results.

How ML can stand by and watch this is dumbfounding ?

This has to be draining him emotionally. Marvin is far too trusting of his coordinators on both sides of the ball. Marvin knows what good is because he’s seen it before in both Baltimore and in Cincinnati so it follows that he knows what bad is too.

This is beyond bad.

This is worse than 1990s bad.

I sort of get it that Marvin won’t bust on his coaches in public. But is he busting their asses in private? I sure hope so.
Reply/Quote
You would think that if Lewis were some defensive genius that he would've already taken Austin out behind the woodshed and put him out of his misery. This defense is so bad that I'm not sure there's a word strong enough to convey how poorly they're playing. The best defensive coordinator we've had is doing alright as the head coach in Minnesota. Of course, part of what made him good was holding players accountable. That doesn't seem to be high on Lewis' list of things a coordinator should do (see when he cut off Guenther's balls publicly).
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:30 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: You would think that if Lewis were some defensive genius that he would've already taken Austin out behind the woodshed and put him out of his misery. This defense is so bad that I'm not sure there's a word strong enough to convey how poorly they're playing. The best defensive coordinator we've had is doing alright as the head coach in Minnesota. Of course, part of what made him good was holding players accountable. That doesn't seem to be high on Lewis' list of things a coordinator should do (see when he cut off Guenther's balls publicly).

From what I’ve seen if the Raidahs, I don’t think Paulie G has relocated his balls yet.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: From what I’ve seen if the Raidahs, I don’t think Paulie G has relocated his balls yet.

Very true. I'll never forget Guenther trying to step up and say that underperfoming players would be benched and then Marvin comes out the next day and says that's not going to happen. Guenther HAD to leave after that.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:30 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: You would think that if Lewis were some defensive genius that he would've already taken Austin out behind the woodshed and put him out of his misery. This defense is so bad that I'm not sure there's a word strong enough to convey how poorly they're playing. The best defensive coordinator we've had is doing alright as the head coach in Minnesota. Of course, part of what made him good was holding players accountable. That doesn't seem to be high on Lewis' list of things a coordinator should do (see when he cut off Guenther's balls publicly).

Zim would have lost every pair of boots he has by like 5 games ago they'd be so far up @$$#$
Reply/Quote
I will never forget the interview with Vontaze Burfict’s mother back in 2012 because she struck me as a very wise woman. She told the interviewer she received a call from Vontaze during his first training camp. He said, “Mama, I’m scared.”

“Of what?” she asked.

“Coach Zimmer, Mama,” Vontaze answered. “That man scares me to death.”

Mama Burfict had the perfect answer. “Vontaze,” she replied. “That’s the kind of man you want to play for. You listen to everything he says and do everything he says and he’ll make you great.”
Reply/Quote
Marvin as a defensive coach was most likely a fluke. He was a product of having multiple Hof players propping him up. The only time Marvin's teams have consistently fielded good defenses is when Zimmer was here.

I'd trust Marvin with the defense about as well as if trust Marvin to lead this team to the promised Land.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:51 AM)Benton Wrote: Marvin as a defensive coach was most likely a fluke. He was a product of having multiple Hof players propping him up. The only time Marvin's teams have consistently fielded good defenses is when Zimmer was here.

I'd trust Marvin with the defense about as well as if trust Marvin to lead this team to the promised Land.

You’re saying Marvin Lewis is only famous because of Ray Lewis?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:55 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You’re saying Marvin Lewis is only famous because of Ray Lewis?

Nope. I'm saying that defense had many good pieces which did several outstanding things that season. Many would go on to have other outstanding seasons.

And then there was Marvin. Who would go on to be the most mediocre coach in the history of the NFL. 

I'm not saying he's only successful because of Ray Lewis. I'm saying he's only successful because the ravens organization and billick were there to made sure Mediocre Marv couldn't be... mediocre. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:51 AM)Benton Wrote: Marvin as a defensive coach was most likely a fluke. He was a product of having multiple Hof players propping him up. The only time Marvin's teams have consistently fielded good defenses is when Zimmer was here.

That Ravens defense was seriously loaded. HOF Players at EVERY level.

They had Lewis, Boulware and a bunch of other great LB's. Ironic he can't find one here.

Plus, after Lewis left...it's not like the defense fell apart.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Geno Atkins into Tony Siragusa 

You realize that would be a massive step backwards for Geno, right? Turning one of the best pass-rushing DT's in the last 20 or so years into a run-stuffer/block eater? Do you think our LB's would magically learn how to tackle if Geno put on 50lbs and stopped having a quick first step and neigh godlike bullrush? I think we both know our LB's would still look like they were coated in lube trying to tackle a greased pig. I get what you were going for, but that's just a strange comparison to make. Give me a choice between Goose and Geno and I'm taking Geno 100% of the time.

That isn't to knock Goose, he was a good player, but Geno is a borderline HOF DT (if he was almost anywhere else he'd be a lock already). Even in what might seem like a down year for Geno, through 9 games Geno has more sacks (6) than Goose ever did in a full season (5). And that kind of disruption from the interior is far more valuable than a run stopping fat guy, especially in what is now unquestionably a passing league.

This defense has a ton of issues at the moment, #97, however, isn't one of them.
Reply/Quote
Jim Haslett has coordinator experience too.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:26 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It makes zero sense that our D is this bad. Ok our LBers aren't great but after that we've got some decent players, a couple great.

How ML can stand by and watch this is dumbfounding
No pressure on good QBs = blow out losses. This line got consistent pressure last year rushing four. This year no pressure can be found. Is the NFL allowing more holding so as to protect certain "franchise" QBs. Sure seems that way to me. In the Steeler game Gino was being double teamed by the guard and center and they called him for holding. It just keeps getting harder and harder to watch this version of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I don’t agree. Much like every other coordinators that coached Ray Lewis he just happen to be coach at the right time. Same for the coordinators for Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:13 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I don’t agree. Much like every other coordinators that coached Ray Lewis he just happen to be coach at the right time. Same for the coordinators for Tom Brady.

Let’s hire Ray Lewis as linebacker coach!
Reply/Quote
If we can field a defense with All Pros at every level, Marvin will be the guy to lead them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote