Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Browns "Quit"
After a brief scan for national Bengals news this morning, two things stood out to me. The Patriots loss has grabbed the headlines, with only a mention that Denver and Cincinnati are in the race for top seed. Most played up how Denver is in control of it's own destiny, and only one mentioned that Cincinnati is the number 1 seed if the season ended today.

MSN reported yesterday's 34 point domination was because the Brown's "quit". Nothing at all about the Bengals performance in any way. The shunning continues, and I'm really starting to enjoy it. But only because of the lack of distraction being heralded as the 'team to beat' brings with it. Remaining the league's best kept secret should serve us well as we head into the stretch and beyond to the playoffs. Staying focused and playing smart could, and should, be the result of such little national attention.

Looking forward to the rest of our opponents "quitting".
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: After a brief scan for national Bengals news this morning, two things stood out to me. The Patriots loss has grabbed the headlines, with only a mention that Denver and Cincinnati are in the race for top seed. Most played up how Denver is in control of it's own destiny, and only one mentioned that Cincinnati is the number 1 seed if the season ended today.

MSN reported yesterday's 34 point domination was because the Brown's "quit". Nothing at all about the Bengals performance in any way. The shunning continues, and I'm really starting to enjoy it. But only because of the lack of distraction being heralded as the 'team to beat' brings with it. Remaining the league's best kept secret should serve us well as we head into the stretch and beyond to the playoffs. Staying focused and playing smart could, and should, be the result of such little national attention.

Break Pitt and we Break the NFL next week
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are in no way a "secret", they don't "fly beneath the radar", and they don't "sneak up on anyone". I see these posts, and really wonder what some of you guys read and watch. The Bengals get an extreme amount of respect in the national media. Granted, it is sometimes couched with a "what will happen in the playoffs", but that is legitimate and to be expected. I have watched NBC, NFL Network, and ESPN in the last two days. They have all commented about what a complete team the Bengals are, how we are "stacked with talent", and all have talked about Cincinnati being the number one seed. Even Rodney Harrison last night when asked who the best team in the NFL is, replied "Cincinnati Bengals" with no hesitation at all. And I guarantee you that every player and coach knows the level of talent on this team.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:51 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: The Bengals are in no way a "secret", they don't "fly beneath the radar", and they don't "sneak up on anyone".  I see these posts, and really wonder what some of you guys read and watch.  The Bengals get an extreme amount of respect in the national media.  Granted, it is sometimes couched with a "what will happen in the playoffs", but that is legitimate and to be expected.  I have watched NBC, NFL Network, and ESPN in the last two days.  They have all commented about what a complete team the Bengals are, how we are "stacked with talent", and all have talked about Cincinnati being the number one seed.  Even Rodney Harrison last night when asked who the best team in the NFL is, replied "Cincinnati Bengals" with no hesitation at all.  And I guarantee you that every player and coach knows the level of talent on this team.

Here here. Totally agree.

Reply/Quote
In order for cleveland to quit , they first must start.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I guess MSN must have based their statement about "quitting" on the fact that the Browns opted not to burn any timeouts on their last drive when they were down 34 points.

Real Men of Genius

[Image: 661e54c8e253ef02649f59d6ced3ef7fd11b60f2...86ddcd.jpg]
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I actually thought Austin Davis played very well. I couldn't believe that the fans there were chanting for Johnny Fartball. Unbelievable. They must have been hammered. Davis was under tremendous pressure all day and he hung in there and delivered on-the-mark passes.

Before anyone starts spouting off about his lack of points, he went 25 of 38 for 230 yards and one pick. With that supporting cast, I call that borderline miraculous.

I am one of the only Bengals fans that roots for the Browns as their #2, but I would keep this kid and build around him. Stop trying to draft QBs and build a line, some skill position guys, and some more help on defense.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually thought Austin Davis played very well.  I couldn't believe that the fans there were chanting for Johnny Fartball.  Unbelievable.  They must have been hammered.  Davis was under tremendous pressure all day and he hung in there and delivered on-the-mark passes.  

Before anyone starts spouting off about his lack of points, he went 25 of 38 for 230 yards and one pick.  With that supporting cast, I call that borderline miraculous.

I am one of the only Bengals fans that roots for the Browns as their #2, but I would keep this kid and build around him.  Stop trying to draft QBs and build a line, some skill position guys, and some more help on defense.

True story..

And I see lots of Bengals love on TV.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals got a lot of respect out here in AZ the week before and after the Cards game. And the sports guys out here are not known for giving incoming opponents a lot of respect. They generally felt that we are a very good team and if they could beat us, they would finally get some of the recognition they felt they deserved (which I think is true).

But the national take on the Bengals is that, at this point, they have to win a playoff game before others around the league will be convinced. News people and sometimes other teams' fans have been picking us to do well over the past four seasons, but feel they have ultimately been burned by the playoff losses. This is especially true of those who bet money. Personally, I never bet. But there are a lot of people who do. And they hold a lot of hard feelings. Non-Cincy fans respect the teams' talent (probably due in no small part to fantasy football).

It may sound like a broken record, but this team won't win over the respect of non-Cincy fans around the league and the media until the achieve in the post-season. It is the ugly truth.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am one of the only Bengals fans that roots for the Browns as their #2, but I would keep this kid and build around him. Stop trying to draft QBs and build a line, some skill position guys, and some more help on defense.

No i would perfer the AFCN be 1 Bengals 2 Browns
Reply/Quote
I feel sorry for the Browns. I really do. And, having heard that about the Bengals in past decades, I think that may be the worst thing you can say about a franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I feel sorry for the Browns. I really do. And, having heard that about the Bengals in past decades, I think that may be the worst thing you can say about a franchise.

Hard to hate something you pity
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 02:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hard to hate something you pity

Exactly. In football, hate is something we generally reserve for teams that are successful (Steelers, Pats, Ravens in past years, etc.).

It is hard to hate on Michigan anymore in college ball. OSU has become like the big bully. "Beat Michigan" used to mean win the game. Now, it means pound them into oblivion.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 02:26 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Exactly. In football, hate is something we generally reserve for teams that are successful (Steelers, Pats, Ravens in past years, etc.).

It is hard to hate on Michigan anymore in college ball. OSU has become like the big bully. "Beat Michigan" used to mean win the game. Now, it means pound them into oblivion.

soon it will refer to the Spartans lol
Reply/Quote
I'm not surprised Browns fans were asking for Johnny ****face. When you're that desperate you'll ask for just about anything.

With a better supporting cast, Austin Davis could be just what the Browns need. He played well all things considered, minus a couple of boneheaded mental errors.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Right after the game, the top article on NFL.com was "A New #1 In The AFC".... I think that's enough respect for now....
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 12:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: After a brief scan for national Bengals news this morning, two things stood out to me. The Patriots loss has grabbed the headlines, with only a mention that Denver and Cincinnati are in the race for top seed. Most played up how Denver is in control of it's own destiny, and only one mentioned that Cincinnati is the number 1 seed if the season ended today.

Typical media.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I feel sorry for the Browns. I really do. And, having heard that about the Bengals in past decades, I think that may be the worst thing you can say about a franchise.

Over the last 4 drafts they have had 7 first round picks and 16 total in the first 3 rounds.  Plus they have signed several "big name" free agents (Paul Kruger, Ben Tate, Miles Austin, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline)

And they still suck.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:40 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The Bengals got a lot of respect out here in AZ the week before and after the Cards game. And the sports guys out here are not known for giving incoming opponents a lot of respect. They generally felt that we are a very good team and if they could beat us, they would finally get some of the recognition they felt they deserved (which I think is true).

But the national take on the Bengals is that, at this point, they have to win a playoff game before others around the league will be convinced. News people and sometimes other teams' fans have been picking us to do well over the past four seasons, but feel they have ultimately been burned by the playoff losses. This is especially true of those who bet money. Personally, I never bet. But there are a lot of people who do. And they hold a lot of hard feelings. Non-Cincy fans respect the teams' talent (probably due in no small part to fantasy football).

It may sound like a broken record, but this team won't win over the respect of non-Cincy fans around the league and the media until the achieve in the post-season. It is the ugly truth.

I started this because I was pissed that they chose to say the Browns "quit", as opposed to what really happened - we damn-near steamrolled them. As much as they struggled with injuries and poor execution, even I wouldn't disrespect an opponent by suggesting the just "quit". Even Pettine recognized the effort in a bad performance. Not that I believe MSN sports is a benchmark of reporting, but the little pissants have a long way to go for credibility.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 4 drafts they have had 7 first round picks and 16 total in the first 3 rounds.  Plus they have signed several "big name" free agents (Paul Kruger, Ben Tate, Miles Austin, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline)

And they still suck.

I have to wonder how much better they could be if they just sat on the same QB, coaching staff and management team for 3 consecutive years. I would wager that they would at least be mediocre (8-8).
Reply/Quote