Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Circle Game or Neo Nazi symbol?
(12-17-2019, 03:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not PC BS now that some white supremacists have adopted the gesture as an actual racist signal.  It is a messed up and crazy situation.

A swastika originally meant "well being for all" in Sanskrit, but it could mean something different depending on who is displaying it.

And, yes, I would also hate to be that cadet.

The PC BS comes from anyone suggesting there were racist meaning behind the "circle game".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-17-2019, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The PC BS comes from anyone suggesting there were racist meaning behind the "circle game".

I am pretty sure that was part of the "parody".  No one is really saying the circle game was racist.

It started out as a joke, but it has now become a real thing.
(12-17-2019, 04:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am pretty sure that was part of the "parody".  No one is really saying the circle game was racist.

It started out as a joke, but it has now become a real thing.

This.

A dumb joke leads to dumb people (white nationalists/racists) thinking its real and then people getting all upset that a stupid game is now a stupid racist symbol.

Again, if you over the age of 14 and still playing "the circle game" you need to stop anyway.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-17-2019, 04:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think for a second that the racist context of the symbol dawned on the Cadets; nor do i think it was intended as such.

You don't know anything about those guys so you really have no clue what they meant.  

The academy is not punishing them.  It is just investigating.  Given that the gesture has been used by serious white supremacists they HAVE TO investigate.  Don't you agree?
Whether any given person's intention is to be racist when they make that hand signal, it has now been categorized as racist.

So if you don't want to be misconstrued as racist, don't do it.

Or. Do it anyway to "fight the power," get accused of being racist, get banned from a stadium because you did it and then rant and rave about your free speech, which doesn't apply in 99% of cases that you think it does.

Do whichever makes you happy.
We used this as a lesson in sociology to describe the sociological perspectives.

I think most people are playing the game, a decent chunk are straight up trolling knowing the second use of it and making fun of the hysteria about it, and a small amount have adopted it as a white supremacist symbol.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-17-2019, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't know anything about those guys so you really have no clue what they meant.  

The academy is not punishing them.  It is just investigating.  Given that the gesture has been used by serious white supremacists they HAVE TO investigate.  Don't you agree?

Yes, the Academies must investigate and this is why I call it PC BS.

As to punishment. IMO they should receive some form of discipline.

I'll ask the audience:

What percentage of the population know that the circle game is also a racist symbol?

I remember when being a Dale Earnhart Jr. was called racist; as the car number was 88, the 8th letter in the alphabet is H and double H stands for Hiel Hitler.

IMO, we've gone entirely too far and folks must prove that things they do on a daily basis is not racist in nature.

(12-17-2019, 04:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We used this as a lesson in sociology to describe the sociological perspectives.

I think most people are playing the game, a decent chunk are straight up trolling knowing the second use of it and making fun of the hysteria about it, and a small amount have adopted it as a white supremacist symbol.

It seems almost like a sick recruitment strategy:

- Associate a beloved past time (the circle-punch game) with their abhorrent ideology. 
- Attempt to frame the the anger of the tainting of the past-time, at the people who are speaking out against neo-nazism instead of the neo-nazis themselves.

This probably works most effectively on young teens who haven't fully developed their critical thinking abilities yet.
(12-17-2019, 05:03 PM)treee Wrote: It seems almost like a sick recruitment strategy:

- Associate a beloved past time (the circle-punch game) with their abhorrent ideology. 
- Attempt to frame the the anger of the tainting of the past-time, at the people who are speaking out against neo-nazism instead of the neo-nazis themselves.

This probably works most effectively on young teens who haven't fully developed their critical thinking abilities yet.

I polled my class. 2/3rds knew the game. Maybe 2 or 3 heard of the white supremacist association.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-17-2019, 04:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think for a second that the racist context of the symbol dawned on the Cadets; nor do i think it was intended as such. If not for this very forum I'd have 0 idea that it was tied to White Supremacy. The point is: They were "playing a Social media game" while representing their Academies in Uniform.

You won't dispute they were intending to do something before the cameras, right? And while wearing their uniforms. 

You are sure their command never raised the issue with them before, despite the already very public Coast Guard scandal?

And while you maintain they know how to "play social media games," you are nevertheless certain they were unaware of the "racist context" of the symbol?
Looked to me to be above the waste. So... Circle game is out
(12-17-2019, 04:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Whether any given person's intention is to be racist when they make that hand signal, it has now been categorized as racist.

So if you don't want to be misconstrued as racist, don't do it.

Or. Do it anyway to "fight the power," get accused of being racist, get banned from a stadium because you did it and then rant and rave about your free speech, which doesn't apply in 99% of cases that you think it does.

Do whichever makes you happy.

(12-17-2019, 04:48 PM)treee Wrote:    It seems almost like a sick recruitment strategy:

- Attempt to frame the the anger of the tainting of the past-time, at the people who are speaking out against neo-nazism instead of the neo-nazis themselves.

That's how you expose the "real" racism of PC liberals. lol    
(12-17-2019, 06:16 PM)Dill Wrote: You won't dispute they were intending to do something before the cameras, right? And while wearing their uniforms. 

You are sure their command never raised the issue with them before, despite the already very public Coast Guard scandal?

And while you maintain they know how to "play social media games," you are nevertheless certain they were unaware of the "racist context" of the symbol?

1. No dispute

2. I can tell you in my vast experience past and present with the US Military the "circle game" has never been addressed. WTS, I'm sure it will be going forward and it's sad

3. WTF did I say I was certain? Not surprisingly you are the 2nd person to put those words in my mouth. Re- Read my post I said "I don't think".

(12-17-2019, 06:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Looked to me to be above the waste. So... Circle game is out

So your saying you looked?

BTW it's waist not waste.

Did that on purpose. 

(12-17-2019, 06:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So your saying you looked?

BTW it's waist not waste.

that on purpose. 

Hilarious LMAO LOL

I love when this happens. 
(12-17-2019, 07:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hilarious LMAO LOL

I love when this happens. 

Me 2

(12-17-2019, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. No dispute

2. I can tell you in my vast experience past and present with the US Military the "circle game" has never been addressed. WTS, I'm sure it will be going forward and it's sad

3. WTF did I say I was certain? Not surprisingly you are the 2nd person to put those words in my mouth. Re- Read my post I said "I don't think".

And can you tell me in your vast experience with the military past and present that racist insignia on clothing, tatoos, membership in racist organizations, racist behavior and the like have never been addressed? Not to mention all manner of bad behavior in public or towards other service members to include racist signing (article 117 UCMJ)?

Let's take a word out of your mouth.  You are not "CERTAIN" the cadets intended the sign to be a racist signal; you just "DON"T THINK FOR A SECOND" that the intent was racist.

You maintain the cadets know "social media games," but you DON'T THINK FOR A SECOND that they could know or intend their upside down ok signs to signal "white power" or to mock the "*****"?   That right?
(12-17-2019, 05:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I polled my class. 2/3rds knew the game. Maybe 2 or 3 heard of the white supremacist association.

lol So now ALL your class knows the racist symbol.
If only I had known Malcolm in the Middle was spreading white supremacist propaganda

via Gfycat