Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
(05-05-2022, 05:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: From what the staff has stated D'Ante Smith may take reps at OG but he is being considered OT just as he should be. Also, by reports the Bengals have signed OG Ben Brown from Ole Miss whom many felt would be a draft selection.

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/cincinnati-bengals-updrafted-free-agent-signing/

According to this article, The Athletic claims that the Bengals may have found a hidden gem in UDFA Ben Brown.  Seems he has great size and length, had a streak of 40 consecutive starts going until he injured his arm this past season.  He will be an interesting prospect to keep an eye on this Summer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's hard to not be happy about the OL based off what they did with the right side. They'll steamroll the run game and teams won't be able to pin their ears back for Burrow

I'm ok with the competition spot at LG, but they need to commit to a Plan B if they truly want to win a ring. If nobody steps up at LG, they need to be ready to pickup a cut ver or even trade a late 2023 pick to secure a rental.

I'm interested to see if moving these guys around helps or stunts them. I understand that some of them have a little experience at other positions, but trying to get the best 5 is a debate. Smith may end up being a better LG than Carman for instance, but if Smith progresses at tackle and it's a close call they may be better off where they are.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:51 AM)phil413 Wrote: It's hard to not be happy about the OL based off what they did with the right side.  They'll steamroll the run game and teams won't be able to pin their ears back for Burrow

I'm ok with the competition spot at LG, but they need to commit to a Plan B if they truly want to win a ring.  If nobody steps up at LG, they need to be ready to pickup a cut ver or even trade a late 2023 pick to secure a rental.

I'm interested to see if moving these guys around helps or stunts them.  I understand that some of them have a little experience at other positions, but trying to get the best 5 is a debate.  Smith may end up being a better LG than Carman for instance, but if Smith progresses at tackle and it's a close call they may be better off where they are.

With Karras, Cappa, and Collins, it's just going to be a matter of getting reps together, in order to learn each other.  They're all smart, talented veteran players, they just haven't played together yet.  Hopefully LG gets settled earlier than later in camp, because building communication with Karras and Williams will be of utmost importance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With Karras, Cappa, and Collins, it's just going to be a matter of getting reps together, in order to learn each other.  They're all smart, talented veteran players, they just haven't played together yet.  Hopefully LG gets settled earlier than later in camp, because building communication with Karras and Williams will be of utmost importance.

I guess I was referring to the young players that are being moved around everywhere for the sake of the line.  Smith has been moved around, Carman is on his 3rd position, Adeniji has played everywhere but center, ect...   Versatility is great but I hope it isn't a hindrance to the youth.  The comment wasn't for the vets, those guys are in their natural positions for the most part and its good to have long term deals for stable players. 
Reply/Quote
Well, Adeniji should be cut (and with the adds may be). I still expect we're either bringing Spain back or adding a veteran IOL so that we aren't gambling on inexperienced depth again.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 01:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well, Adeniji should be cut (and with the adds may be). I still expect we're either bringing Spain back or adding a veteran IOL so that we aren't gambling on inexperienced depth again.

They'll let him fight for the last roster spot, but I'm all about a vet now.  Some have mentioned Ereck Flowers and I'd be cool with Michael Schofield as a combo G/T.  
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 01:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well, Adeniji should be cut (and with the adds may be). I still expect we're either bringing Spain back or adding a veteran IOL so that we aren't gambling on inexperienced depth again.

Wouldn't be surprised by this.  He seems kinda like this year's Michael Jordan coming into the season.  
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/cincinnati-bengals-updrafted-free-agent-signing/

According to this article, The Athletic claims that the Bengals may have found a hidden gem in UDFA Ben Brown.  Seems he has great size and length, had a streak of 40 consecutive starts going until he injured his arm this past season.  He will be an interesting prospect to keep an eye on this Summer.

I have been watching some film on him and he looks like he could be a decent bench guy. One thing I have seen that concerns me is hand placement with him. Could be a real issue in the NFL as he gets his hands outside the shoulder pads on a regular basis. Seemed to get away with it a lot in college but will probably draw many holding calls in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And Rob Gronkowski was a three time All-Pro after having back surgery.  So your limited anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

To be fair I was also concerned with Carman's back going into the offseason.  But the Bengals know all about Carman's back.  If it was sketchy at all I am pretty sure they would have signed someone else in free agency or took an o-lineman high in the draft.

There is no news of any setback.  The team expects Carman to come in and be the frontrunner in the competition for LG. 

I'll bet you have disliked Carman ever since the draft.  I see this happen with a lot of players.  People who express strong negative reactions to a player at the time of the draft/signing carry that bias for years.  

Like I said,I’ve known quite a few people over the years who have had back surgery and were never the same.But that doesn’t mean everyone.It’s a high risk surgery which doesn’t have a particularly high success rate on average.
Hoping Carman,Smith,Volson,or whoever steps up to the plate this year and takes the staring LG position,which is obviously wide open.It’s going to be the most interesting spot to watch on this OL for me.I just hope it’s that simple,so that the OL will be complete,and hopefully above average.

Reply/Quote
Bengals in the top 10.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 10:29 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Came in where and when out of shape? 

(05-06-2022, 11:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bengals in the top 10.

I bet in the run game better
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I bet in the run game better

Yeah I don't know how they figure the PEPA pig stats but I'll take it, running on that right side is going to be huge for Mixon. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 10:05 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I think this is crazy speculation from an outsider that has no intimate knowledge of the situation. If he was done on this team it would stand to reason that they would have looked to invest in the O line a bit more than they did. There is not a helluva lot of smoke around him, again just spin doctoring of the current situation.

Maybe it is old news because there was nothing to it. What you left out of your sentencing of him was how old the story was to begin with.

I was gonna let this go, but nah. This is stupidity. My point was not whether the story was true or false. I couldn't care less. It was more about the timing of said story. If you were paying attention, you might have noticed that it came out literally on DRAFT DAY- with no explanation for it- and was solely covered by Cincinnati media. I live in New York and didn't hear a peep.

But not only was it covered by some Cincy outlets, it was covered by all the beat reporters. And not like it was yesterday's news, but rather like it was a bombshell report. On what basis I don't know! But it was! And not only that, but when Zac came into the Thursday presser to introduce Dax, he started it off by explicitly mentioning Jackson Carman's name. He didn't play it down, he didn't treat it as a "rumor surrounding one of our players" the way that franchises normally do to diffuse the situation before investigations begin in earnest. No. He actually said the man's name lol. If anything, the fact that the controversy was "old" as you say, makes it that much crazier. He sure didn't act like it was old to him. You'd assume that would be the first thing out of his mouth!

Then once the draft was over... radio silence again. Not just from Zac but from everybody. As if nothing happened. Nothing to see here. To that I can't help but say... WTF?! We went from 0 to 100 in a split second, and came crashing back down to 0 just as quickly. The transient from this story would give sound engineers sleepless nights. I gotta get my ear's checked because I heard a pop. Something's up whether you like it or not.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 12:00 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah I don't know how they figure the PEPA pig stats but I'll take it, running on that right side is going to be huge for Mixon. 

Running period is going to be better but I agree the right side will be great in the run game
Reply/Quote
For me I actually think we are way better overall than last year. I have us listed at:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince, D'Ante Smith

C: Karras, Hill

Guards: Carmen, Cappa, Vollson, Ben Brown

Brown can play C/G, and Smith can play G/T so theres versatility there. I still would like us to maybe find a better guy than Prince for that tackle spot but overall I think we are way better.

Possible cuts: Adeniji, Hill to maybe get a guy like Reiff again or look for possible rookie cuts to develop a guy
Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/football/ole-miss-center-ben-brown-named-to-rimington-trophy-watch-list

This Ben Brown kid may end up stealing a roster spot from Hill. Was on the Rimington watch list as a junior. Hurt his senior year and seemed to get forgotten about. Hell, I doubt it happens but there is an outside chance if were looking for the best 5 he slides in at C and Karras kicks to LG. Again, I doubt that, but crazier things have happened especially when it comes to interior OL. Centers are often forgotten about just look at Creed Humphrey going from 3rd rounder to 90+ PFF grade last season.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:04 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me I actually think we are way better overall than last year. I have us listed at:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince, D'Ante Smith

C: Karras, Hill

Guards: Carmen, Cappa, Vollson, Ben Brown

Brown can play C/G, and Smith can play G/T so theres versatility there. I still would like us to maybe find a better guy than Prince for that tackle spot but overall I think we are way better.

Possible cuts: Adeniji, Hill to maybe get a guy like Reiff again or look for possible rookie cuts to develop a guy

Hill is not even 23 years old yet and still has a lot of upside he'll not be cut in his 2nd year. Adeniji is prob gone and i'm fine with that.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here is the current OL room:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince

Guards: Cappa, Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Volson

Centers: Karras, Hill, Galliard

Of this bunch, you have to remember that four were drafted over the last two offseasons (Smith, Carman, Hill, Volson). So yes we don't have a lot of experienced depth - we took that calculated risk last offseason when we emptied out the OL room of players like MJ and Redmond. So these players need time and reps to get coached up so we can see what we have - the bad news is they are raw (especially Hill) - the good news is all of them flashed at times some pretty above average stuff last year.

Really the only player here I am not crazy about keeping is Adeniji - he singlehandedly gave up nearly half our postseason sacks. A Guard MUST be able to anchor and he shows no ability to do so.

Galliard I think heads back to the PS. I still think we add either Spain or another vet G/T so we have experienced people coming off the bench.

I think both Adeniji and Smith are projected more as tackles, probably competing for one spot there.  They went to guard out of necessity.  Guard depth might be a little thin, but I think there was an UDFA that they liked to compete for the final roster spot.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:30 PM)pulses Wrote: Ben Brown had a 5th round grade. I wouldn't sleep on him. I think he'll bump Adeniji off the roster.

Was that 5th round grade before or after the injury? Wonder where he would have been graded if he hadn't been injured. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here is the current OL room:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince

Guards: Cappa, Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Volson

Centers: Karras, Hill, Galliard

Of this bunch, you have to remember that four were drafted over the last two offseasons (Smith, Carman, Hill, Volson). So yes we don't have a lot of experienced depth - we took that calculated risk last offseason when we emptied out the OL room of players like MJ and Redmond. So these players need time and reps to get coached up so we can see what we have - the bad news is they are raw (especially Hill) - the good news is all of them flashed at times some pretty above average stuff last year.

Really the only player here I am not crazy about keeping is Adeniji - he singlehandedly gave up nearly half our postseason sacks. A Guard MUST be able to anchor and he shows no ability to do so.

Galliard I think heads back to the PS. I still think we add either Spain or another vet G/T so we have experienced people coming off the bench.

Nice thread Joelist, you know how I love OL threads and this is the big one. While D'Ante Smith is listed as a Guard I still think
he has more of the build for an OT and could fill in for Jonah or La'el if either one went down. With both D'Ante and now Cordell
Volson we have competition with Carman so be better watch his ass. If it is injury than that is on the FO and coaches drafting 
Jackson, but if he doesn't start cause of poor play that is on him not putting in the work or just D'Ante or Cordell outplaying him.

All I know is D'Ante Smith is working his ass off from the vids I have seen and Volson is a big, mean mutha.

Really liking our OL room right now for once. I also like Trey Hill at Center if he can keep the penalties to a minimum. This was
his problem last year. Also we have a Center in Ben Brown I believe that others really like that we got as an UDFA that might put
Gaillard out of the picture, we will see.

I would cut Adeniji right now and add a dude off the street, dude is on roller skates, no hope for him IMO.
Reply/Quote