Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
I don't really understand why we are keeping Adeniji he was about the worst guard we have ever had, Spain would be a massive upgrade, I really doubt Spain would cost much and he would solidify our line. If Carman or Volson can beat out Spain then at least I will know they have earned the spot.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:02 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I don't really understand why we are keeping Adeniji he was about the worst guard we have ever had, Spain would be a massive upgrade, I really doubt Spain would cost much and he would solidify our line.  If Carman or Volson can beat out Spain then at least I will know they have earned the spot.

Spain must be asking for more money than he is worth as a backup or our coaches and FO didn't like his effort in the SB...

I know I didn't. Sure, he was playing injured but that isn't an excuse for the last play of the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spain must be asking for more money than he is worth as a backup or our coaches and FO didn't like his effort in the SB...

I know I didn't. Sure, he was playing injured but that isn't an excuse for the last play of the Super Bowl.

They feel some of these guys have had their chances. Others just aren’t warriors in practice. Don’t know where Spain ends but he’s what 30? He’s looking for security and the Bengals a cheap backup. Originally thought they’d come together but not so much now.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 12:25 AM)tms Wrote: I was gonna let this go, but nah. This is stupidity. My point was not whether the story was true or false. I couldn't care less. It was more about the timing of said story. If you were paying attention, you might have noticed that it came out literally on DRAFT DAY- with no explanation for it- and was solely covered by Cincinnati media. I live in New York and didn't hear a peep.

But not only was it covered by some Cincy outlets, it was covered by all the beat reporters. And not like it was yesterday's news, but rather like it was a bombshell report. On what basis I don't know! But it was! And not only that, but when Zac came into the Thursday presser to introduce Dax, he started it off by explicitly mentioning Jackson Carman's name. He didn't play it down, he didn't treat it as a "rumor surrounding one of our players" the way that franchises normally do to diffuse the situation before investigations begin in earnest. No. He actually said the man's name lol. If anything, the fact that the controversy was "old" as you say, makes it that much crazier. He sure didn't act like it was old to him. You'd assume that would be the first thing out of his mouth!

Then once the draft was over... radio silence again. Not just from Zac but from everybody. As if nothing happened. Nothing to see here. To that I can't help but say... WTF?! We went from 0 to 100 in a split second, and came crashing back down to 0 just as quickly. The transient from this story would give sound engineers sleepless nights. I gotta get my ear's checked because I heard a pop. Something's up whether you like it or not.

Sorry don't do conspiracy theories. It was a good movie that is about it.
Reply/Quote
If the UDFA tracker is correct there could be a dark horse that is not being talked about and that is Stewart Reese from Florida. He is a mammoth that is experienced at RG/RT. 6'6" 340 mountain and is very intelligent. Three time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

I have been watching some film on him and when he plays with solid technique and good pad level he is very effective. When he bends properly and anchors he can be virtually unmovable. His lateral movement is actually pretty good for his size and he pulled a good bit at Florida. When he gets his hands on you he finishes.

If Pollack can help him to clean up some technique issues and use consistent bend he could potentially be an asset at OG and swing tackle.

Devin Cochran is also a guy that could warrant a PS spot while they get him into an NFL strength training program.
Reply/Quote
Cordell Volson - I have been watching whatever tape I can find on this kid and I believe he is going to be a factor this year. I would not be shocked to see him starting on this line. He could be a the guy to beat Carman out for a starting spot and not because Carman is bad but because this kid is that good. I am adding a link below and watch this film and see how many times this kid blocks 2 to 3 defenders on a single play and watch how many of the successful runs are directly behind him whether it is his normal gap or him pulling or sliding.

He looks to just bury defenders and is just a technically sound player. I become more and more thankful that he is a part of this O line room. From what I have seen he has consistently played the right side of the line just like Cappa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqCSjg62OY&t=61s
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 04:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They feel some of these guys have had their chances. Others just aren’t warriors in practice. Don’t know where Spain ends but he’s what 30? He’s looking for security and the Bengals a cheap backup. Originally thought they’d come together but not so much now.

Yeah, I think Spain is 31. We definitely are trying to stay young. If we make it to the Superbowl this year we will break our 
own record as the youngest teams to ever go to the Super Bowl.

(05-08-2022, 10:04 AM)OSUfan Wrote: If the UDFA tracker is correct there could be a dark horse that is not being talked about and that is Stewart Reese from Florida. He is a mammoth that is experienced at RG/RT. 6'6" 340 mountain and is very intelligent. Three time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

I have been watching some film on him and when he plays with solid technique and good pad level he is very effective. When he bends properly and anchors he can be virtually unmovable. His lateral movement is actually pretty good for his size and he pulled a good bit at Florida. When he gets his hands on you he finishes.

If Pollack can help him to clean up some technique issues and use consistent bend he could potentially be an asset at OG and swing tackle.

Devin Cochran is also a guy that could warrant a PS spot while they get him into an NFL strength training program.

Nice, knew nothing about Reese. Sounds like another steal along with Ben Brown.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here is the current OL room:

Tackles: Williams, Collins, Prince

Guards: Cappa, Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Volson

Centers: Karras, Hill, Galliard

Of this bunch, you have to remember that four were drafted over the last two offseasons (Smith, Carman, Hill, Volson). So yes we don't have a lot of experienced depth - we took that calculated risk last offseason when we emptied out the OL room of players like MJ and Redmond. So these players need time and reps to get coached up so we can see what we have - the bad news is they are raw (especially Hill) - the good news is all of them flashed at times some pretty above average stuff last year.

Really the only player here I am not crazy about keeping is Adeniji - he singlehandedly gave up nearly half our postseason sacks. A Guard MUST be able to anchor and he shows no ability to do so.

Galliard I think heads back to the PS. I still think we add either Spain or another vet G/T so we have experienced people coming off the bench.
I think we need our starters to remain relatively healthy.  If they do we may see the most balanced and prolific Bengals offense since 88......disclaimer for younger heads...you can't just look at numbers...the numbers the 88 team put up seem modest to some extent now but the ability to defenses with either the run or pass is a beautiful thing to watch your team do.

And with Mixon and Perine eating behind these studs we have on the o line im feeling like they could be a juggernaut.  The type that you can't pick your poison against, we might be picking which poison we feel like using.  That'd be pretty cool.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 12:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Cordell Volson - I have been watching whatever tape I can find on this kid and I believe he is going to be a factor this year. I would not be shocked to see him starting on this line. He could be a the guy to beat Carman out for a starting spot and not because Carman is bad but because this kid is that good. I am adding a link below and watch this film and see how many times this kid blocks 2 to 3 defenders on a single play and watch how many of the successful runs are directly behind him whether it is his normal gap or him pulling or sliding.

He looks to just bury defenders and is just a technically sound player. I become more and more thankful that he is a part of this O line room. From what I have seen he has consistently played the right side of the line just like Cappa.

Thanks OSUfan. Volson might be my favorite pick in a Draft where I love every single pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:02 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I don't really understand why we are keeping Adeniji he was about the worst guard we have ever had, Spain would be a massive upgrade, I really doubt Spain would cost much and he would solidify our line.  If Carman or Volson can beat out Spain then at least I will know they have earned the spot.

I would cut him, and roll with this for camp: 

T: Williams, Collins, Smith, Prince, Cochran
G: Cappa, Carman, Volson, Brown, Reese
C: Karras, Gaillard, Hill, Noel

Maybe sign a Greg Van Roten (was with Pollack in 2020 for the Jets) or Nate Solder (experienced swing tackle option with Brady pedigree) if you want veteran depth, or pick someone up if they like a cut, but that's a good group to work with at camp. Right now we're at 88 on the roster, cutting Adeniji would leave us with 3 open spots, which can be used for tryouts or if there's anyone else still out there that the FO likes. 
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 03:31 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Maybe sign a Greg Van Roten (was with Pollack in 2020 for the Jets) or Nate Solder (experienced swing tackle option with Brady pedigree)

What does Brady have to do with it?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 03:02 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: I think we need our starters to remain relatively healthy.  If they do we may see the most balanced and prolific Bengals offense since 88......disclaimer for younger heads...you can't just look at numbers...the numbers the 88 team put up seem modest to some extent now but the ability to defenses with either the run or pass is a beautiful thing to watch your team do.

And with Mixon and Perine eating behind these studs we have on the o line im feeling like they could be a juggernaut.  The type that you can't pick your poison against, we might be picking which poison we feel like using.  That'd be pretty cool.

One talking head back in the day likened it to driving a cadillac down the field. This would be so friggin awesome.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 03:02 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: The type that you can't pick your poison against, we might be picking which poison we feel like using.  That'd be pretty cool.

Gets intense flashbacks of heading into the 2010 season, is suddenly very worried.    Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2022, 12:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Cordell Volson - I have been watching whatever tape I can find on this kid and I believe he is going to be a factor this year. I would not be shocked to see him starting on this line. He could be a the guy to beat Carman out for a starting spot and not because Carman is bad but because this kid is that good. I am adding a link below and watch this film and see how many times this kid blocks 2 to 3 defenders on a single play and watch how many of the successful runs are directly behind him whether it is his normal gap or him pulling or sliding.

Agreed, it's easy to see why the Bengals drafted him if you start checking out his NDSU footage. To be concise, he's a "glass eater" that the Bengals want for '22 - 23. Some of the scouting reports list his primary weakness as, "level of competition" but I'm at a point where I can dismiss that or else the NFL would never have successful players from schools that aren't from the Power Five conferences.

Volson, at minimum, is going to increase the OL depth while competing for the final starting spot.
Reply/Quote
For anyone calling to cut any OL, why would the Bengals do that prior to TC and prior to preseason. I know hard concept to understand, but players do improve. Also, they may improve a lot and still not be able to beat out others so maybe we could trade them for a 6th or 7th round pick verus cutting them.

The point is I don't get the definitive cut anyone right now, even Wilson who I think will have a battle to keep his roster spot in 2022. But who knows now if we have injuries or if he can beat out the young guys drafted at his position. We save 2 million in cap space if we do cut him.

We also don't know the Bates contract situation and how it will play out. The players in danger are not highly paid so it is not like we gain a lot of cap space cutting any young OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 10:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For anyone calling to cut any OL, why would the Bengals do that prior to TC and prior to preseason. I know hard concept to understand, but players do improve. Also, they may improve a lot and still not be able to beat out others so maybe we could trade them for a 6th or 7th round pick verus cutting them.

The point is I don't get the definitive cut anyone right now, even Wilson who I think will have a battle to keep his roster spot in 2022. But who knows now if we have injuries or if he can beat out the young guys drafted at his position. We save 2 million in cap space if we do cut him.

We also don't know the Bates contract situation and how it will play out. The players in danger are not highly paid so it is not like we gain a lot of cap space cutting any young OL.

Good call, hang on to the players you have an let the competition begin. See who rises to the occasion before making any roster moves. I'm sure Duke and Zac will exercise patience when evaluating players.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:27 PM)wanga Wrote: Agree.  The reign of Spain was mainly on the plain. That’s okay by me. 

By jove I think you got it, but can you do a good cockney accent and look like Julie Andrews?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 10:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For anyone calling to cut any OL, why would the Bengals do that prior to TC and prior to preseason. I know hard concept to understand, but players do improve. Also, they may improve a lot and still not be able to beat out others so maybe we could trade them for a 6th or 7th round pick verus cutting them.

And it will cost relatively nothing to move on from Adeniji in preseason if he doesn't make it.
Bengals have plenty of cap space to add more players if they wanted without needing to cut anyone right now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm still trying to process some of the strange comments on the forum about the OL room, such as panning all our OL picks last draft because some were Day 3. In 2021 we took 3 OL in the deepest OL draft in memory - this is not a bad thing. We added Volson this offseason and when you look at him as G instead of T his scores skyrocket. Hill, Smith and yes Carman all flashed more than once but the reality last season is we were taking a chance with the depth room having virtually no NFL experience. Alas we had a number of injuries (as usual for us concentrated in one position group) at first RG (Sua Filo then Carman then Adeniji even ) and RT when Reiff got hurt was killer. These forced our raw draft picks into the lineup for large numbers of reps and naturally they suffered.

Let's see how the line shakes out for opening day. LG is the only openish spot and I still am expecting Spain back at some point if for no other reason so we have seasoned depth.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 08:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm still trying to process some of the strange comments on the forum about the OL room, such as panning all our OL picks last draft because some were Day 3. In 2021 we took 3 OL in the deepest OL draft in memory - this is not a bad thing. We added Volson this offseason and when you look at him as G instead of T his scores skyrocket. Hill, Smith and yes Carman all flashed more than once but the reality last season is we were taking a chance with the depth room having virtually no NFL experience. Alas we had a number of injuries (as usual for us concentrated in one position group) at first RG (Sua Filo then Carman then Adeniji even ) and RT when Reiff got hurt was killer. These forced our raw draft picks into the lineup for large numbers of reps and naturally they suffered.

Let's see how the line shakes out for opening day. LG is the only openish spot and I still am expecting Spain back at some point if for no other reason so we have seasoned depth.

We are trying to make a run at the Super Bowl, being mediocre is not good enough.
Reply/Quote