Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dalton Dilemma
The Bengals are in a catch-22 situation with Andy Dalton. While he has been a decent QB in his tenure with the Bengals he hasn't really been effective since 2015. I would agree that letting o-line members walk and completely missing on their replacements have crippled the offense, can we expect different outcomes with the basically the same o-line. Do we keep Andy and resign him to a more lucrative contract? Do we keep him for two more years and draft his replacement now? Do we trade him now when he has the highest trade value and do a complete rebuild now? Weather you are an Andy Dalton fan or not all these options may lead you to the Super Bowl or lead you to the toilet bowl. I love the human being Andy but I don't believe he is the long term answer to get results we desire.
Reply/Quote
Why fix what is not nearly as broken as other areas? You can't argue Dalton is worse than our OL. You can't argue Dalton is worse than our LBs.

If he isn't effective since 2015 why is this his highest trade value?

I dont agree that a QB leads you to either the Superbowl nor toilet bowl by himself... ever hear people say defense wins championships?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’d like to draft his replacement sooner rather than later. If not this draft, then definitely the next one.

Reply/Quote
Dalton is on a team friendly contract for two more years. He is not the reason the team has been losing. The only logical thing to do would be to see how he plays under the new coach this year and make the decision before the 2020 draft. That still gives us a year to groom his replacement.

I think it is funny how the crowd that wants to get rid of him will first talk about how lame he is and then turn around and try to claim he has high trade value.
Reply/Quote
Quarterback is the most important position in all of sports. We need a change at the position.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:40 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Quarterback is the most important position in all of sports.   We need a change at the position.

No we don't.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with getting a QB who is markedly better than Dalton.
With that said, I'm not highly confident anyone from this draft class will be that.
I have higher confidence in Tua Tagovailoa next year or Trevor Lawrence the year after. Yes, it might mean having to trade away draft capital to get them, but it's better than taking a riskier QB in a poor draft class this year.

As Fred said, the Bengals have Dalton for two more years, so there's no rush to find a replacement this year. If you find one that you think will be a Top 10 QB in the NFL, go for it. But don't just take a QB at 11 this year because of perceived value and fear of not drafting in the Top 5 or 10 in 2020 or 2021. Trades can always happen. The Bengals traded up to take Ki-Jana Carter 1st overall back in 1995, so they aren't completely against trading up in the 1st round if they really want someone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Dalton isn't even close to being our dilemma.
Reply/Quote
the best time to invest into a new QB is when you have a QB already.
Andy Dalton knows he wont be the starter forever.
hes not stupid.
Draft a QB and let Zac Taylor bring him along slowly.
Dalton can hold the position down for a bit longer.
this isnt a roster you have to totally tear down ala John Dorsey
on the list of Bengals issues....uh Andy is closer to the bottom.
you know below LB coverage and pass blocking....pass rush..those kind of things.
drafting a QB then starting him and showing Dalton the door or to the bench is a quick way to last place.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is on a team friendly contract for two more years.  He is not the reason the team has been losing.  The only logical thing to do would be to see how he plays under the new coach this year and make the decision before the 2020 draft.  That still gives us a year to groom his replacement.

I think it is funny how the crowd that wants to get rid of him will first talk about how lame he is and then turn around and try to claim he has high trade value.
Although I have said on here numberous times,to wait on a qb,however I am starting to lean on taking Haskins if there.The reason is this,he is going to be a top nfl qb and in next years draft there will be no one that will be ranked ahead of him.I believe under ZT he will be his best.Draft him now and allow him to watch until Dalton really shows he cannot get it done or worse yet is injured.I truly believe the Gaints are going to draft him,but I have seen the Andy Dalton show and he plays to not get hurt,which I understand all of that.Yes,a better line will help,but he overthrows deep passes ALOT,or underthrows,in other words,doesn't have the proper touch with the long ball.I have seen AJ go get bad passes and makes Dalton look better.I hope I am wrong on Dalton,but we have watched him too often throw it away or run to his right and then throw it away.Hope I am wrong,but if Haskins is available,TAKE HIM.He will be in the house and we will now have a backup year one that we know can sling it accurately. ThumbsUp Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 09:56 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Bengals are in a catch-22 situation with Andy Dalton. While he has been a decent QB in his tenure with the Bengals he hasn't really been effective since 2015. I would agree that letting o-line members walk and completely missing on their replacements have crippled the offense, can we expect different outcomes with the basically the same o-line. Do we keep Andy and resign him to a more lucrative contract? Do we keep him for two more years and draft his replacement now? Do we trade him now when he has the highest trade value and do a complete rebuild now? Weather you are an Andy Dalton fan or not all these options may lead you to the Super Bowl or lead you to the toilet bowl. I love the human being Andy but I don't believe he is the long term answer to get results we desire.

we got things to fix before a new QB will help to much...  We could be drafting one but I still think Dalton is the starter this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is on a team friendly contract for two more years.  He is not the reason the team has been losing.  The only logical thing to do would be to see how he plays under the new coach this year and make the decision before the 2020 draft.  That still gives us a year to groom his replacement.

I've got to say I agree with Fred on this one.

We will never know if Klingler or A. Smith would have been decent QBs (long term) because they played behind some horrible OLs and those teams had some pretty horrible defenses to boot. Hell, Tom Brady would look like an average QB playing behind the Bengals OL.

The Bengals have a serious OL problem and serious DL and LB problems.  If we address those areas over the next several drafts, I think we will see that Dalton was not the problem in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:18 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I've got to say I agree with Fred on this one.

We will never know if Klingler or A. Smith would have been decent QBs (long term) because they played behind some horrible OLs and those teams had some pretty horrible defenses to boot. Hell, Tom Brady would look like an average QB playing behind the Bengals OL.

The Bengals have a serious OL problem and serious DL and LB problems.  If we address those areas over the next several drafts, I think we will see that Dalton was not the problem in the first place.

We do not have “serious DL problems.” Could we stand to add another piece or two? Sure, but you could say that about pretty much every position. We have Geno, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson. That’s a solid core.

Reply/Quote
Do people really want to put a statue (Haskins) behind this line?

Build the trenches, plug in a franchise QB.

If a QB is there at 11, it says something about this class (weak). Franchise QB's shouldn't last until 11.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:18 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I've got to say I agree with Fred on this one.

Our dline is perfectly fine, though we can all agree on the other two needing work...

Klingler I think would've been a decent NFLer; maybe up to Andy's level, maybe at a Jon Kitna level (when Kitna was at his best), but Akili I think was doomed from the getgo.

Technically, he was an even bigger whiff than Leaf and he had (a few lol) better teams around him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Do people really want to put a statue (Haskins) behind this line?

Build the trenches, plug in a franchise QB.

If a QB is there at 11, it says something about this class (weak). Franchise QB's shouldn't last until 11.

Eh, Mahomes lasted until 10, and Watson 12.

Reply/Quote
Suppose the greatest college QB is sitting there staring you in the face, better than the really good one you already have.. Do you pull the string now or wait to fix your o-line and hope the next few college seasons produce another? We're kind of there now although it's still questionable if any of the college players are in fact better than Andy now or in the future.. I agree that Andy isn't the biggest problem by any stretch, but boy howdy, how do you pass on a possible all time great?
We've seen Andy pull off magic more than a few times, but we've also seen him melt down more than a few times as well. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't, half dozen on one and six of the other..
I'm kind of of the opinion that if we're going to throw the dice to gamble with a first round pick he'd better be able to give up the goods BIG time and work the guy out under the worst conditions possible. You really want to know if the guy can play in shit conditions, rain, freezing weather, high winds, etc.. Those aren't exactly conditions you can replicate on scouting trips either..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Suppose the greatest college QB is sitting there staring you in the face, better than the really good one you already have.. Do you pull the string now or wait to fix your o-line and hope the next few college seasons produce another? We're kind of there now although it's still questionable if any of the college players are in fact better than Andy now or in the future.. I agree that Andy isn't the biggest problem by any stretch, but boy howdy, how do you pass on a possible all time great?
We've seen Andy pull off magic more than a few times, but we've also seen him melt down more than a few times as well. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't, half dozen on one and six of the other..

Glad we don't have to worry about that. There isn't a QB in this draft that has that quality about him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 11:51 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Glad we don't have to worry about that. There isn't a QB in this draft that has that quality about him. 

I haven't followed college football this past few seasons to have a definitive opinion on that. I would hope someone in the organization has though.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I just want the banner. And now I have it.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote