Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Between The Falcons And Bengals
(01-23-2017, 01:18 PM)3wt Wrote: And though the typical responses to this is that the NFPA does not allow it, this is the second team that I've heard announcers report that the teams engaged in "live" tackling drills (the other team being Seattle).   I do not know exactly what this entails and what it excludes, but I don't get the idea that we do it. 

The other thing I noticed last night was the excellent blitz pickups on the part of the Patriots.   I don't know how much of this was scheme and how much of it was pure talent level (probably both), but I hope our HC, AHC/OLC and OC were taking notes.

Brady had a LOT of time back there most of the night.

I've been saying for a while that, in a copycat league, we should be copying the Patriot Way.  You have to go back to the Bill Russell Celtics to find a more dominant dynasty in a major pro sport.  But noooo, we're too smart for that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 06:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Matt Ryan has a higher career passer rating than Dalton, he has been to an NFC Championship game and is now going to a Super Bowl, five times in his career he has thrown for more yards than Dalton's career high, he has a higher career TD percentage and a lower interception percentage.

Hard to argue that Ryan has had "one good year".

and we generally run the ball 75 times more. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 06:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah cuz we won so many playoff games will all those guys.

Until the coach is changed, it doesn't matter what players we have or don't have. 

I dont understand how some fans just dont get this. Its not rocket science, dont get excited about next year being different cause it won't be with Lewis at the helm.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 01:01 AM)GodFather Wrote: I dont understand how some fans just dont get this. Its not rocket science, dont get excited about next year being different cause it won't be with Lewis at the helm.

Yep, Mike Smith had the Falcons stagnant with the occasional tumble. Now he's replaced with Dan Quinn and they are able to get to the Super Bowl.
Denver did the same with John Fox, then they moved to Kubiak and won a Super Bowl. Fox was at least able to get his team deep into the playoffs, but Elway still made a move and it paid off.

As good as Marvin Lewis is, he's a Mike Smith. This franchise seems to fear a drop off rather than try and hope for improvement.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 09:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Falcons had Mike Smith as HC who coached them from 08-14. He took the team to the playoffs 4 times in his tenure including a NFC Championship, his last two years were the equivalent to this past year in Cincy. What does Atlanta do? They make a coaching change and today they are going to the Super Bowl and have an opportunity to be SB champions this year. What does Cincy do after such a lackluster, underperforming year? The same thing it always does....nothing.

I wonder if the Falcon fans were worried their team would be horrible after firing their head coach like so many Bengal fans are so worried we will return to the 90's without Lewis? Of course not because its ridiculous logic..

Falcons are preparing for A Super Bowl game and the Bengals are preparing a bowl of cereal....

Blank wants to win, Mike likes making money.

There's your difference.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:29 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Blank wants to win, Mike likes making money.

There's your difference.

Unfortunately I think your dead on. I also think the front office is lazy and doesn't want to completely change the routine it's so accustomed too. 

I read an article with Tom Brady last night talking about how the coach sets a tone and expectation on every player and believes that's why they are in it year after year. 

It's that same tone and attitude from Lewis why we haven't won a single playoff game year after year. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe year 15 is the year Marv breaks through. Have patience. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:30 AM)GodFather Wrote: Unfortunately I think your dead on. I also think the front office is lazy and doesn't want to completely change the routine it's so accustomed too. 

I read an article with Tom Brady last night talking about how the coach sets a tone and expectation on every player and believes that's why they are in it year after year. 

It's that same tone and attitude from Lewis why we haven't won a single playoff game year after year. 

I think some coaches would come in and challenge Mike Brown and management. I think management likes the familiarity with Marvin and Marvin is willing to operate under the constraints placed upon him.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 01:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe year 15 is the year Marv breaks through. Have patience. Ninja

Marvin's on the "two decade plan"...
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 06:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah cuz we won so many playoff games will all those guys.

Until the coach is changed, it doesn't matter what players we have or don't have. 

Agree completely Shake,

But I will go one step further and add Until the culture is changed it doesn't matter what players we have !

As we've all said ad nauseam, this team has zero discipline and no accountability. Until the expectations are put in place and stuck to. Nothing will change.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 03:04 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Marvin's on the "two decade plan"...

Marvin's on the short bus!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep, Mike Smith had the Falcons stagnant with the occasional tumble. Now he's replaced with Dan Quinn and they are able to get to the Super Bowl.
Denver did the same with John Fox, then they moved to Kubiak and won a Super Bowl. Fox was at least able to get his team deep into the playoffs, but Elway still made a move and it paid off.

As good as Marvin Lewis is, he's a Mike Smith. This franchise seems to fear a drop off rather than try and hope for improvement.

They seem to have a history of hiring who they feel comfortable with (and getting rid of who doesn't toe the line).  And while I admire them as people they place loyalty (theirs and the players' / coaches') higher than competency and thinking outside the box.  I see them pass up an obviously brilliant football mind like Walsh, somehow manage to keep Gregg for a short stint at head coach even though he took us to the Super Bowl, find a way to lose Wyche - the other guy who took us to a Super Bowl and hire what looks to be a lot of yes men in between.

I do admire the Brown family.  But they need to get over the need to control their head coach to the degree that they don't end up with the same creativity that made Paul Brown one of the true pioneers of the game.   Lewis did the best job of straddling those positions, but he seems to be too much like them himself.

I can see the family sticking with Lewis as long as they have.  But Shula????   Sheezz

It's time for a change.  And they need to hire someone who has demonstrated an extremely high level of performing in the NFL.   I know McDaniel fizzled in Denver.  But I bet he's learned...

After watching the Patriots create a game plan that stifled a very good Pittsburgh defense and evolved as the game progressed, I'd love to hire McDaniels and see what he could do with our personnel.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:21 PM)3wt Wrote: They seem to have a history of hiring who they feel comfortable with (and getting rid of who doesn't toe the line).  And while I admire them as people they place loyalty (theirs and the players' / coaches') higher than competency and thinking outside the box.  I see them pass up an obviously brilliant football mind like Walsh, somehow manage to keep Gregg for a short stint at head coach even though he took us to the Super Bowl, find a way to lose Wyche - the other guy who took us to a Super Bowl and hire what looks to be a lot of yes men in between.

I do admire the Brown family.  But they need to get over the need to control their head coach to the degree that they don't end up with the same creativity that made Paul Brown one of the true pioneers of the game.   Lewis did the best job of straddling those positions, but he seems to be too much like them himself.

I can see the family sticking with Lewis as long as they have.  But Shula????   Sheezz

It's time for a change.  And they need to hire someone who has demonstrated an extremely high level of performing in the NFL.   I know McDaniel fizzled in Denver.  But I bet he's learned...

After watching the Patriots create a game plan that stifled a very good Pittsburgh defense and evolved as the game progressed, I'd love to hire McDaniels and see what he could do with our personnel.

Ya know, I wasn't that high on McDaniels prior, but after watching that spectacle, I'm in.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya know, I wasn't that high on McDaniels prior, but after watching that spectacle, I'm in.

Heck, let McDaniels call the plays too and get rid of Zampese. Improvement both for HC and OC!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Heck, let McDaniels call the plays too and get rid of Zampese. Improvement both for HC and OC!

I'm with ya on that my friend. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 09:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Falcons had Mike Smith as HC who coached them from 08-14. He took the team to the playoffs 4 times in his tenure including a NFC Championship, his last two years were the equivalent to this past year in Cincy. What does Atlanta do? They make a coaching change and today they are going to the Super Bowl and have an opportunity to be SB champions this year. What does Cincy do after such a lackluster, underperforming year? The same thing it always does....nothing.

I wonder if the Falcon fans were worried their team would be horrible after firing their head coach like so many Bengal fans are so worried we will return to the 90's without Lewis? Of course not because its ridiculous logic..

Falcons are preparing for A Super Bowl game and the Bengals are preparing a bowl of cereal....

Dan Quinn is a fine HC. Seems to be a bit of a hard ass but has fun with his team as well.

They also went and got Alex Mack who solidified the middle of their O-line and surrounded Ryan with a great
running game with RB's who can catch the ball out of the backfield to go along with adding weapons in the
passing game. This is a well oiled machine that the Falcon coaches did a fine job of putting together.

We don't have a HC that can do this nor an O-line coach that wants the middle of the O-line solidified.

It comes down to the owners, Arthur Blank is an old guy just like MB but he wanted to win the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Heck, let McDaniels call the plays too and get rid of Zampese. Improvement both for HC and OC!

That's such a tease cause it won't happen!
Reply/Quote