Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
The Drew Crew
In 2014 scrappy white TE Ryan Hewitt, #89 (6'4", 255) played 44% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 10 receptions for 86 yards but he was a fan favorite.

Last year scrappy white TE Drew Sample, #89 (6'4", 258) played 42% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 11 receptions for 81 yards and is one of the most hated players on the team.

The only difference between these two players is that Hewitt was an undrafted free agent while Sample was a second round pick.  Drew can't help where he was drafted, and he does play an important role in our offense playing close to half of the snaps.

I think it is time to form a "Drew Crew" to get our man a little of the love he deserves for doing the dirty work that never gets any credit.

Who is in?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2014 scrappy white TE Ryan Hewitt, #89 (6'4", 255) played 44% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 10 receptions for 86 yards but he was a fan favorite.

Last year scrappy white TE Drew Sample, #89 (6'4", 258) played 42% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 11 receptions for 81 yards and is one of the most hated players on the team.

The only difference between these two players is that Hewitt was an undrafted free agent while Sample was a second round pick.  Drew can't help where he was drafted, and he does play an important role in our offense playing close to half of the snaps.

I think it is time to form a "Drew Crew" to get our man a little of the love he deserves for doing the dirty work that never gets any credit.

Who is in?

No

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I’m in. Nothing wrong with a scrappy blocking TE and I’m glad to have him as a #2 TE. But 2nd round is definitely too high if that’s all he’s going to do. But alas he’s already on the team. I personally don’t get the hate on players that come in and play. I can understand Waynes or early season Apple if they’re constantly getting burned but Sample is doing what he’s supposed to do.

I only wonder where all the hidden receiver skills are that a lot of people hyped up after we drafted him.
Reply/Quote
I agree if he wasn't drafted so high he might be more well liked or he may have been replaced by now. I've tried to like Sample more and even thought he showed some flashes with his receiving in 2020 when he was the main TE. But he seemed to regress last year. I also don't really think his blocking is all that for someone that they're primary role is as a blocker. I suppose I'm not as high on TE as others are and if we do draft one this year I would prefer it to be later and I would prefer one with blocking ability atleast equal to his receiving ability if not more so.
Reply/Quote
That was a waste of a 2nd round draft pick. I dont know what the Bengals were thinking on that one.
Reply/Quote
If you have a sub-100 yard TE on the field that much, just play a 6th OL who will be a better blocker and toss a ball to him 2-3 times during the year. Not like losing 80 receiving yards is that big of a loss and nobody is worried about being able to cover Sample.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
RULES FOR DREW CREW
1. No microscopic circuitry implanted in any muscle tissue.
2. Don't talk about Drew Crew.
3. No one touches my dog.
4. Vegan dishes are acceptable at official functions as long as there are meat additives and/or dishes available.
5. No latex allergies.  (Sorry if this does not sound fair but it is necessary)
6. No attempts to communicate with my dog.
7. No sexual congress within 24 hours of kickoff.
8. No F#@KING Lizard people!!!!.
9. No extended eye contact with my dog.
10. Drew Crew keeps it real.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:35 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m in. Nothing wrong with a scrappy blocking TE and I’m glad to have him as a #2 TE. But 2nd round is definitely too high if that’s all he’s going to do. But alas he’s already on the team. I personally don’t get the hate on players that come in and play. I can understand Waynes or early season Apple if they’re constantly getting burned but Sample is doing what he’s supposed to do.

I only wonder where all the hidden receiver skills are that a lot of people hyped up after we drafted him.

A 2nd round tight end that can only block is a really awful 2nd round pick

Drew Sample is more suited to be a TE3. If Hurst goes down, there is essentially no tight end. Sample is an extra tackle
Reply/Quote
The Drew Few...AmIRight
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Trae wayans is in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Drew may not be a good player, but I really like that he brings his lunch pail. He has a high motor, is sneaky athletic and very cerebral.

Player comparison: Larry Bird. If Larry played football. Right now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 12:10 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Trae wayans is in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free Money Waynes goes wherever he can find a way to get injured and still get paid
Reply/Quote
I’ve never seen a less coordinated NFL player in my life. The turf monster is undefeated against Drew Sample.

Reply/Quote
I didn't realize that he put up so many yards.  Were they in garbage time?  Hewitt was a fan favorite because he played FB and seemed clutch.  A 6th OL seemed to have been just as, or more effective than Sample.  
Reply/Quote
I wonder if a better OL will help him increase his receptions this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2014 scrappy white TE Ryan Hewitt, #89 (6'4", 255) played 44% of the offensive snaps mainly as a blocker.  He only had 10 receptions for 86 yards but he was a fan favorite.

Who is in?

I like Drew a lot.  We talk about needing guys that can block, and that is him.  He has actually been a very reliable target when he gets opportunities.  Everyone loves CJ and perhaps Hurst because of their athleticism and ability to make big plays in the passing game, but Drew keeps our QB upright and helps in the rushing game as well. 

Sure, he may have been "overdrafted", but he is a reliable, "nuts and bolts"-type of guy (Marv called Hewitt that, so I stole it for Sample).  
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 08:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I like Drew a lot.  We talk about needing guys that can block, and that is him.  He has actually been a very reliable target when he gets opportunities.  Everyone loves CJ and perhaps Hurst because of their athleticism and ability to make big plays in the passing game, but Drew keeps our QB upright and helps in the rushing game as well. 

Sure, he may have been "overdrafted", but he is a reliable, "nuts and bolts"-type of guy (Marv called Hewitt that, so I stole it for Sample).  

Meh. His blocking is overrated, imo. At least to my eye test. Anyone with PFF have his blocking grades?

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree if he wasn't drafted so high he might be more well liked or he may have been replaced by now. I've tried to like Sample more and even thought he showed some flashes with his receiving in 2020 when he was the main TE. But he seemed to regress last year. I also don't really think his blocking is all that for someone that they're primary role is as a blocker. I suppose I'm not as high on TE as others are and if we do draft one this year I would prefer it to be later and I would prefer one with blocking ability atleast equal to his receiving ability if not more so.

If we need another blocker put in another lineman.  I mean 11 receptions over the course of the year commands zero respect in the pass game so may as well just tell them we're running to begin with and put in the bigger body.

Not a Drew Sample hater just a realist.  And oh yeah wasted a 2nd round pick to boot.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 11:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: RULES FOR DREW CREW
1. No microscopic circuitry implanted in any muscle tissue.
2. Don't talk about Drew Crew.
3. No one touches my dog.
4. Vegan dishes are acceptable at official functions as long as there are meat additives and/or dishes available.
5. No latex allergies.  (Sorry if this does not sound fair but it is necessary)
6. No attempts to communicate with my dog.
7. No sexual congress within 24 hours of kickoff.
8. No F#@KING Lizard people!!!!.
9. No extended eye contact with my dog.
10. Drew Crew keeps it real.

Just for that I'm going to hypnotize your dog and have him/her believe he/she is a lizard person with microscopic circuitry implanted in muscle tissue.. ..  Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Who is in?

That's the only difference, and it's also a massive difference. If Drew Sample were drafted where he should have been, in the 5th to 7th round, I think people would like him.

I think people just see him and think of who we could have drafted instead. It's one of Zac and team's very few "complete whiffs" in his three drafts with the team.
Reply/Quote