Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eifert Dilemma
(03-07-2019, 02:12 PM)Synric Wrote: I can see them running more 2 TE sets than any other team because of how they used Lamar Jackson last year.

They could. They have a stable of TEs though already. They just drafted Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst last year. Given the lack of use that Maxx Williams got, I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk. And actually, now that I think about it, I'd be up for taking a flier on Maxx Williams to see if he could thrive in a new system. He should be relatively cheap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They could. They have a stable of TEs though already. They just drafted Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst last year. Given the lack of use that Maxx Williams got, I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk. And actually, now that I think about it, I'd be up for taking a flier on Maxx Williams to see if he could thrive in a new system. He should be relatively cheap.

Side note...Maxx Williams sounds like a name for a detective in a trashy crime thriller novel.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If it was the old regime, I'd pretty much guarantee he WOULD be back.

With the new regime, I'm not sure; odds go down to 50/50.

If it were up to me, I'd've already signed him to the exact same deal as last year, with maybe lowering a bit of the guaranteed money and putting higher incentives.

Guy is a game-changer every time he steps on the field.

This. You gamble on proven talent like Eifert, but have to provide quality depth behind him just in case. We know the impact he had on our previous offense with ML. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It looks like Eifert has made great progress with the ankle and is looking good. The question is - what to do now? Do they try to bring him back on another one year deal, hoping he can stay healthy...or do they just decide it's time to move on from Tyler altogether? 

What do you think...bring him back or let him walk?

I think it depends on Eifert's mindset. I would hope he would like to finish what he started, he was paid well, but could not stay healthy. It is unlucky, but is real.

I hope he agrees to stay for a very team friendly one year deal. But, the risk is too great for anything long term or guaranteed big chunks of cash.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Couple comments on the bolded...
Nick Boyle just got 3 years, $18 mill from the Ravens. I'd expect it's going to cost probably $5-7 mill a year just to keep Uzomah since he's been more productive than Boyle.
Regarding Eifert, the incentives don't really help in terms of cap space because you have to reserve all that amount in case Eifert does meet those incentives. So he'd still count $5 mill toward the cap. At this point, I wouldn't give him more than $4 mill in total, as I don't want to see more than that eaten up from the cap. I know that's low, but at this point, Eifert's played only 14 games over the past three seasons and has never played a full season. I'm ready to move on.

I believe your cap analysis is correct, but if he does not earn the incentives, that cap money can be rolled over in 2020. In essence, if incentives (not earned) not spent it does not hurt us just defers it the following year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I believe your cap analysis is correct, but if he does not earn the incentives, that cap money can be rolled over in 2020. In essence, if incentives (not earned) not spent it does not hurt us just defers it the following year.

That's correct, but rolling over to 2020 doesn't help the team win this year.
And in fact, it can hurt the team the current year because that cap has to be reserved and potentially affect what other FAs the team could bring in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I'd do a one year incentive laden deal with him in a heartbeat. Low risk high reward deal. I mean at some point the guy has to have something go his way. I'd hate for that to happen in a different uniform.

(03-07-2019, 12:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If it was the old regime, I'd pretty much guarantee he WOULD be back.

With the new regime, I'm not sure; odds go down to 50/50.

If it were up to me, I'd've already signed him to the exact same deal as last year, with maybe lowering a bit of the guaranteed money and putting higher incentives.

Guy is a game-changer every time he steps on the field.

I won't be upset whatever they decide. But I agree if it was up to me I'd offer a rock bottom 1 year deal with a bunch of incentives, so many games, catches, TD's etc.

It's just to much of a risk to go any higher.
Reply/Quote
He's played well under half of his career games. I would 100% say no...except he does add to our offense.

I think you have to find another #1 TE and then use him sparingly as a #2.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Eifert is a game changer when we can get him on the field. I say offer him at least a one year contract, but a two year contract isn't bad wither. Either way make it incentive laden with the biggest incentive being the number of games played. We should not let him leave unless the offer we are going against makes it prohibitive to sign him.
Reply/Quote
Pass for me. A player needs to be reliable. For years the Bengals planned on Eifert being available and then when he’s not, which is every year, the team is caught with their pants down and no plan. If we had a locked in starter and wanted to sign Eifert as a back-up/ red zone specialty TE, that’s fine. I think the team needs to move on and look for a #1 TE someplace else.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: Since his last injury involved someone basically falling on his leg/ankle; I would consider it to be more of a freak accident.

Practically all of his injuries have been freak accidents. 

The elbow against Baltimore in the opener? Freak accident. 
Back injury? Freak accident.
Ankle in the Pro Bowl? Freak accident.
Ankle against the Falcons? Freak accident.

This isn't a dude who's dealing with constantly pulled hamstrings or anything due to bad conditioning, it's a guy that's just outright snake-bit.

Sure, I'd love to think that at some point he'd manage to stay healthy for a full season, or at this point...even 3/4's of a season. But it just doesn't look to be the case. Tyler Eifert is the NFL TE's living embodiment of Murphy's Law. If he CAN get hurt, he WILL get hurt. 

If they bring him back it has to be heavily incentive laden, not that that'd help much. The Bengals being the Bengals, they'll keep every penny of his potential incentives reserved under the cap. So if he gets say 5 million with only 1 mil guaranteed, they'll still treat it as all 5 million being guaranteed. 

I hope Eifert can stay healthy, even if it isn't for the Bengals, but the likelihood that that'll happen is pretty slim.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 01:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: when hes healthy theres no other TE in the league other than Gronk and Kelce who impacts a offense like Eifert.

This.  There are getting to be a lot of big men with a lot of speed, but Eifert gets in and out of his cuts like a WR.  He changes our entire offense.

I want him back, but I don't want us to depend on him being back.  So can we afford to sign him and still use a high draft pick or FA money on a legit #1 TE?
Reply/Quote
It's not even a decision for me. 1-2 year deal low on guarantees, high on milestones. It's worth it on the off chance he's actually healthy all year.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Surprised Eifert didn't hurt himself in the video clip.

I'd rather spend our money on a warrior such as Jared Cook and bring in a TE of the future. Quite a few good ones in this draft
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Eifert worked hard to come back for the fans (and himself). I think he feels bad with all the injuries.

I would sign him to one year deal but I would not count on him. I would still draft 2 TE, and sign Uzi. I would sign him over Kroft just because when healthy he is a TD machine.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's correct, but rolling over to 2020 doesn't help the team win this year.
And in fact, it can hurt the team the current year because that cap has to be reserved and potentially affect what other FAs the team could bring in.

That's hasn't stopped Mikey from rolling over millions every year though.

Reply/Quote
Another one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  There are getting to be a lot of big men with a lot of speed, but Eifert gets in and out of his cuts like a WR.  He changes our entire offense.

I want him back, but I don't want us to depend on him being back.  So can we afford to sign him and still use a high draft pick or FA money on a legit #1 TE?

maybe you can look.it up.but the.year Eifert had 13 TDs....the Bengals red zone offense was in the Top.5 that year.
Dalton's red zone passer rating was Top 5 in the league.
when Eifert is healthy Dalton doesnt have to force the ball to AJ nearly as much. AJ gets very little coverage bracket wise when Tyler Eifert is on the field.
sign Eifert. sign a Jared Cook or Maxx Williams let Kroft walk. maybe let Uzomah walk. see if they can let Jordan Franks develop.
Reply/Quote
Really tough decision, and I’m glad I don’t have to make it.

Honestly, I’m fine with it either way.

Reply/Quote
Dealing with the E.D.
Reply/Quote