Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.86 Average
The End of Bates?
(03-06-2022, 08:29 PM)pulses Wrote: Been on instagram for a year and a half has 3800 followers and it's all bengals stuff on there

But that is just the source that is citing another source, right?

Or maybe if you want $15 you have to start out asking for $18.

BTW, it always cracks me up when some one cites a price range like that.  I mean if you tell a team you want "$18 to $20 million" what are your chances of getting $20 million?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:31 PM)pulses Wrote: Why don't you go check it out for yourself smarta**.  He's been there for a year and a half and it's all bengals stuff and  its all true and updated info and they have over 3800 followers.... try again!!

Wow. Someone is a bit touchy. I'm simply saying it's probably better to wait to hear it confirmed by someone with a legitimate history of that kind of stuff. 

P.S. I did go read several of his posts. It's what i usually do before posting. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if I believe this or not.

But I will point out that last year, when so many fans were bashing the Bengals for not working out a contract extension for Bates, I always pointed out that it takes TWO sides to make a deal.
Yeah we have no idea what all happened. Bates might have been wanting that kind of money last year as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tag is actually $12.9 mill, IIRC.

Bleacher report is saying 13 mil, sportsnaut and nfl are projecting 13.5 mil, I just went with the higher number.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling we are going to see alot of jumps in contract size. Look at Ryan Jensen word is the Buccaneers are offering him 15mil per year (edit: Which would make Jensen the highest paid Center)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bad feeling if they franchise tag him, he’ll half ass the regular season again

I don't see a guy like Bates doing something like that to his teammates. It affecting him mentally is completely different than half-assing it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But that is just the source that is citing another source, right?

Or maybe if you want $15 you have to start out asking for $18.

BTW, it always cracks me up when some one cites a price range like that.  I mean if you tell a team you want "$18 to $20 million" what are your chances of getting $20 million?
I'm going to ask and see.
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of torn on this one. I really wanted us to sign him before the season.

He had a rocky season, but really seemed to show up when it mattered most in the post season. His play in the post season was great--and was a huge reason we made it as far as we did.

That said, our offense would be unstoppable if we had a legit offensive line. If he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league, I'm not so sure he's worth that. I mean it sucks to lose a great player like him, but if they can actually fix the offensive line with the money they save than that is more valuable in my opinion.

I'm guessing we either tag him or let him walk--and I'm okay with both options to be honest. I may be leaning a little more towards letting him get paid and spending that money on the oline though. If it weren't such a big need I'd definitely be all for locking him up or tagging him. But I don't think our defense drops off that much by losing him.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:37 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Bleacher report is saying 13 mil, sportsnaut and nfl are projecting 13.5 mil, I just went with the higher number.

All contracts are constantly going up, but it seems to me that over the last few years the safety position has become much more valuable.

I am actually surprised the tag number is that low.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:37 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Bleacher report is saying 13 mil, sportsnaut and nfl are projecting 13.5 mil, I just went with the higher number.

I had not seen the $13.5 mill reported previously, but now that you mention it, I do see some sites listing that now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I had not seen the $13.5 mill reported previously, but now that you mention it, I do see some sites listing that now.

yeah 13.54 is what I saw.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So even though it sounds crazy I almost agree with Booth on this.

Not that crazy. You eventually ended up agreeing with me that the o-line gets no push on short yardage situations. I assessed that week 1 against minnesota, and you were disagreeing with that sentiment

Wasn’t really a sentiment though. At all
Reply/Quote
OP title had me thinking a sign and trade happened or the team said they were letting him walk. We're aren't at bye bye time yet. I think he'll likely get the tag.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Wow. Someone is a bit touchy. I'm simply saying it's probably better to wait to hear it confirmed by someone with a legitimate history of that kind of stuff. 

P.S. I did go read several of his posts. It's what i usually do before posting. 

I've been on the internet for over 25 years and I know where to find information when I need to. Their is nothing about his page that screams red flag and I sent them a message and I'm sure he will respond when he has time. He had no problem responding to others. I don't just go believing everything I see like your smarta** comment above.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:31 PM)pulses Wrote: Why don't you go check it out for yourself smarta**.  He's been there for a year and a half and it's all bengals stuff and  its all true and updated info and they have over 3800 followers.... try again!!

Is that a lot on IG?
I never cared for IG because it's just pictures.
I much prefer Twitter.
James Rapien has 23.1k followers on Twitter.
Joe Goodberry has 51.9k followers.
Malik Wright has 12.8k followers.
Matt Minich has 9.2k followers.

3800 for a legit Bengals source seems rather low, but maybe that's just because I'm incorrectly associating Twitter follower counts to IG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:47 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: OP title had me thinking a sign and trade happened or the team said they were letting him walk. We're aren't at bye bye time yet. I think he'll likely get the tag.

I'd tag him and trade him.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All contracts are constantly going up, but it seems to me that over the last few years the safety position has become much more valuable.

I am actually surprised the tag number is that low.

Yea, all contracts are moving up, but I could never value safety as high as corner.  Safeties are playing over the top in space.  They can be a bit slower (have a large gap to get beat over the top) and they don't have to play a lot of man (in most schemes).  If a top 5 cb can be had for 20m, I can't justify paying that to a Safety.  I think 15m per year (with a slight back load) is all I could realistically see him getting.  TBH, if its Bates for 20m or a 5m Safety and 15m O lineman, sign me up for the latter.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:48 PM)pulses Wrote: I've been on the internet for over 25 years and I know where to find information when I need to. Their is nothing about his page that screams red flag and I sent them a message and I'm sure he will respond when he has time. He had no problem responding to others. I don't just go believing everything I see like your smarta** comment above.

Maybe you just took it a bit too personal and not the general way it was typed. 

Again, it was simply a suggestion that citing 1 source, that's not known for that kind of breaking news, might be a bit premature to throw out there. 

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is that a lot on IG?
I never cared for IG because it's just pictures.
I much prefer Twitter.
James Rapien has 23.1k followers on Twitter.
Joe Goodberry has 51.9k followers.
Malik Wright has 12.8k followers.
Matt Minich has 9.2k followers.

3800 for a legit Bengals source seems rather low, but maybe that's just because I'm incorrectly associating Twitter follower counts to IG.

Those guys have probabaly been around a lot longer than a year and a half which is why they would have bigger numbers don't ya think?
Reply/Quote
Last year with the cap the number was probably closer to 15.5 to 16m. It doesnt surprise me if the number is 18mil with how the cap is climbing almost 20+ mil.

That's how this works last years highest paid is topped by the next year or two.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote