Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.86 Average
The End of Bates?
(03-06-2022, 08:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Not that crazy. You eventually ended up agreeing with me that the o-line gets no push on short yardage situations. I assessed that week 1 against minnesota, and you were disagreeing with that sentiment

Wasn’t really a sentiment though. At all

I think you have me confused with someone else.

I hated the call on 4th down in the 3rd quarter.  Doubt I defended anything about it.  And I think Mixon got stuffed again in overtime.   I was pleased overall with the running game, but I doubt I supported their play on short yardage.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: No point in FT'ing him.  It isn't like his asking price is going to come down if he has another bad year. Let him walk, use the money on other players, and get your comp pick.    

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no point. We're trying to win a SB. The deadline for the tag comes before free agency. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If we let him go and struggle in free agency, that'd be a tough pill to swallow.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bad feeling if they franchise tag him, he’ll half ass the regular season again

Exactly. 

When the guy admits that the lack of contract affected his play (either by getting in his head (which I don't believe can happen) or by intentionally dogging it (which I do believe did happen)), how can you not expect him to do the exact same thing?

I bet his agent just cringed when he admitted that last year.  So for 17 games last year he was average at best, then he turns it on for 4 postseason games and the Bengals should reward him for that?

With having Burrow, Chase and Co., I don't see any reason to overpay people.  Jesse, you gotta string together 2 solid seasons in a row to get that great contract.  $18-20 million a year is ridiculous, because this guy isn't taking over games like a Troy Polamalu.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But that is just the source that is citing another source, right?

Or maybe if you want $15 you have to start out asking for $18.

BTW, it always cracks me up when some one cites a price range like that.  I mean if you tell a team you want "$18 to $20 million" what are your chances of getting $20 million?

Because he’d probably take 18 of its guaranteed, and 20 if it’s based on stats/etc.
Reply/Quote
What's everyone's guess on JC Jackson? 23 to 25mil a year?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:50 PM)pulses Wrote: Those guys have probabaly been around a lot longer than a year and a half which is why they would have bigger numbers don't ya think?

Not sure it's just because they've been around longer.
For Twitter, followers come really fast if the person is quickly establishing themselves as credible and breaking news.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 09:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you have me confused with someone else.

I hated the call on 4th down in the 3rd quarter.  Doubt I defended anything about it.  And I think Mixon got stuffed again in overtime.   I was pleased overall with the running game, but I doubt I supported their play on short yardage.

Nah, I remember we argued about what qualifies as “short yardage situation” because I noticed that Mixon was running well on downs with 5+ yards to go, but everything shorter than that was getting stuffed

The game day thread is still there right?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 09:23 PM)Synric Wrote: What's everyone's guess on JC Jackson? 23 to 25mil a year?

Higher 25-30 Million with a guranteed 80 Million for the entire contract.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I believe the $18 million claim.

Maybe if you want $14 you have to start out asking for $18.

BTW, if you ask for "18 to 20 million" what are your chances of getting 20?
Reply/Quote
This could also explain why he did not get a contract extension last year.

A lot of fans were ripping the Bengals for not getting it done, but I always pointed out that it takes TWO sides to make a deal.
Reply/Quote
The problem with Bates won't be the yearly salary it will be how much guranteed money there will be in the deal. For example John Johnson last year got 24 Million guranteed vs Hendrickson who got 16 million guranteed.

I bet Bates is looking for something between 30 and 40 Million but the Bengals are looking between 15 & 20 Guranteed.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If he demands that amount then he’s not the team player we thought. But that’s okay. I’m all for them getting what they can get. Power too him. Let somebody else make the mistake.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't see a guy like Bates doing something like that to his teammates. It affecting him mentally is completely different than half-assing it.

This. Guy is a captain for a reason. No way he half asses it in a contract year, on a team that has a shot to get back to the Super Bowl.

Also, I don’t believe this “source” for a second. Bates has specifically said he doesn’t need to be the top paid safety in the league.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 09:42 PM)J24 Wrote: The problem with Bates won't be the yearly salary it will be how much guranteed money there will be in the deal. For example John Johnson last year got 24 Million guranteed vs Hendrickson who got 16 million guranteed.

I bet Bates is looking for something between 30 and 40 Million but the Bengals are looking between 15 & 20 Guranteed.

Guaranteed money is always the problem when it comes to the Bengals. They will have to change that if they truly want to go all in over the next couple years before it’s time to pay Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 10:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. Guy is a captain for a reason. No way he half asses it in a contract year, on a team that has a shot to get back to the Super Bowl.

Also, I don’t believe this “source” for a second. Bates has specifically said he doesn’t need to be the top paid safety in the league.

First year as a Captain. His teammates passed him over and chose Shawn Williams (who sat on the bench) and Vonn Bell (who had just joined the team) to be captains over him in 2020. So I don't know how much real weight the whole captain angle holds, feels a bit overblown.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 11:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First year as a Captain. His teammates passed him over and chose Shawn Williams (who sat on the bench) and Vonn Bell (who had just joined the team) to be captains over him in 2020. So I don't know how much real weight the whole captain angle holds, feels a bit overblown.

Ehh. He played a big part getting our team to workouts when the rest of the nfl was staying apart during Covid. He deserves a lot of credit for that.
Reply/Quote
It’s apparently all about the money for him. We aren’t the team for him if that’s all he cares about.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 09:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Nah, I remember we argued about what qualifies as “short yardage situation” because I noticed that Mixon was running well on downs with 5+ yards to go, but everything shorter than that was getting stuffed

The game day thread is still there right?

I was not in the game day thread for that game.  I was in a Cuban restaurant in Chicago with my daughter.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 11:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was not in the game day thread for that game.  I was in a Cuban restaurant in Chicago with my daughter.

It was the pff week 1 thread. I start discussion of the run game not being able to pick up short yards with you on page 2

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-PFF-grades-week-1?page=2
Reply/Quote
If he’s really hoping for an 18million per year deal, just tag him and draft his replacement this year.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote